Herbie Hancock

How does Cred Forums feel about Herbie Hancock? I've been going through his discography and so far I'm up to [pic related]. What's his best/worst stuff?

Back when I was a toddler, the track Rockit scared the living shit out of me. I remember crying at that shit. Now it's one of my favorite single tracks to hear.

sextant, crossings, thrust

One of the most original and influential pianists ever. I think his absolute best work was with the Miles Davis quintet.

His best record as a leader is Maiden Voyage but all of his Blue Note records are pretty solid.

How much else of his electronic period have you heard? I don't know much about it but I haven't heard good things.

I just put on Maiden Voyage, actually. So far of the albums I listened to "inventions and dimensions" was my favorite. Takin Off was good too.

Boring as shit

Those are some great choices, as well as OP's pic. Another one i enjoyed was Fat Albert Rotunda.

I am op. I've been going through his albums in chronological order. I just now got up to Maiden Voyage. I have heard great things about the Fat Albert album though.

I downloaded the album with Rockit in it. That's the only stuff I've heard from him. A decent album all around.

Ah, nice. His next two (Mwandishi and Crossings) were also on the same label but took a more experimental direction. My favorite Herbie would be either Empyrean, Fat Albert, or Crossings

His early stuff is a LOT different from that album. I'd highly recommend Inventions an Dimmensions when you have a chance to listen to it.

I'm definitely looking forward to Fat Albert. Empyrean I didn't like as much as I did the album before it. (There's really good percussion on Inventions).

Fair enough. If you liked Inventions a lot I'd recommend Crossings next. I swear some of the tunes from Fat Albert were on old loony tunes, like tom and jerry or something (not that they suffer as a result)

Well there's still a couple I gotta get through. I'm going in order. What did you think of "Speak Like A Child" and"The Prisoner"?

Don't skip them. Both are really good.

Anything I SHOULD skip? How's his later stuff?

I'd say it's all worth hearing once up to his late 70's stuff at least. Beyond that there's a lot I haven't heard but what I have heard isn't really all that great. A lot of the synth heavy stuff sounds pretty dated.

I'll probably still check it out. A lot of music I like is "dated" per-say but that's not a BAD thing.

If you're listening chronologically, I'd say no need to go beyond Thrust

Is the stuff afterwards that bad?