Can anyone explain what the appeal of metal is...

Can anyone explain what the appeal of metal is? I think I don't like it for a two main reasons; I don't enjoy the vocal style for most bands, although I am thoroughly impressed by it, and so much of what I find sounds so muddy. I think I can learn to love it if I could hear it more cleanly? I realize this probably goes against the point of it but still.
Also how do you feel about instrumenta metal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YDkv0zgsiB8
youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=y0KX624HvJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=4HjfYEevkLM
youtube.com/watch?v=N6LnUw5eFI8
youtube.com/watch?v=QrV61ATP3Ec
youtube.com/watch?v=NiHpfugCboI
youtube.com/watch?v=vT_NSv3Fz9c
youtube.com/watch?v=15JCb6P60Vw
youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM
youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1-iGD15e0
youtube.com/watch?v=gcS5wCLKOOc
youtube.com/watch?v=EhGEGIBGLu8
youtube.com/watch?v=XWYH3BHAOs8
youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk
youtube.com/watch?v=FjV8SHjHvHk
youtube.com/watch?v=l0LSWqg8YWc
youtube.com/watch?v=_Lvf7Zu4XJU
youtube.com/watch?v=YcTaToyaEOk
youtube.com/watch?v=kIBdpFJyFkc
youtu.be/zTEYUFgLveY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=YDkv0zgsiB8

What about this?
youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY
Granted a lot of people would argue about whether Ghost is metal or not.

There's a large variety of vocal types for metal. There's plenty of metal with completely clean vocals or operatic vocals.

Instrumental stuff is similar to instrumental stuff from other genres. I don't typically listen to it and it's rarer than stuff with vocals.

I like certain metal. I like some early Cathedral, and black metal, but most of it isn't sonically interesting. I think a lot of the appeal for the fanbase is imagining other people not liking it. The way they get othered by the music media and cultural gatekeepers irritates me, it's often barely-concealed racism, but in my experience they do all have the same lousy personalities, like those fat white-collar women who call themselves 'bubbly' and want you to acknowledge how individual they are when they're literally all the same person. The subculture has enabled people to get laid who otherwise wouldn't have, so that's nice.

Whenever say there's 'plenty' of anything in metal, it means 'three tracks'. There are three tracks that aren't 'COOKIE!'. Like when someone tried to make out to me that one metal band were 'electronica' as well as metal, because they had eight seconds of synth on the intros before the usual crud descended.

There's at least as many bands that have clean vocals as there are that have distorted vocals. And even among distorted vocals there are different types like what is typically used in death metal compared to what is typically used in black metal, among other different kinds.

Find me ten tracks by ten different bands that have clean vocals.

You will post eight where you have to say 'now, admittedly, this goes a bit cookie at the chorus', because they all fucking do.

youtube.com/watch?v=y0KX624HvJ8

youtube.com/watch?v=4HjfYEevkLM

youtube.com/watch?v=N6LnUw5eFI8

youtube.com/watch?v=QrV61ATP3Ec

Like an idiot, I played them. First one - he's using enough growl to make himself sound oddly Jamaican. Not my idea of 'clean'. The drums sound shit, like someone pushing air against their teeth.

Second one blocked on copyright grounds. Next eight, please.

The old bands from before the trend started can still do stuff without it, fair enough, that's two.

youtube.com/watch?v=NiHpfugCboI
youtube.com/watch?v=vT_NSv3Fz9c
youtube.com/watch?v=15JCb6P60Vw
youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM
youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1-iGD15e0
youtube.com/watch?v=gcS5wCLKOOc
youtube.com/watch?v=XWYH3BHAOs8
youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk
youtube.com/watch?v=FjV8SHjHvHk
Jackie Chan

I didn't listen to these before posting them so if some did get in that have growled or otherwise distorted vocals tell me and I'll replace them.

i think it´s mostly nostalgy if you objectively started listening to moosic today you wouldnt go for outdated shit like rock n roll anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=l0LSWqg8YWc

I like this one
And I really like this one

I like the album The Shape of Color - Intervals if that gives you anything to work with.

Also can I know why the fuck I was just banned?

>I like this one
awesome, they have about 20 minutes of material. Enjoy

Wow, alright you've guys have convinced me. I didn't really find anything in there I didn't enjoy. Would it be greedy to ask for more?

You know this is a really interesting point. It just feels so foreign that someone would like and listen to music for a reason like that.

Both the way we get othered and the personality of a large amount of the fanbase irritates me. However, as a person who values originality, I'm not going to lie, I do get somewhat of a kick out of being othered by the mainstream and then in turn to a far lesser degree by other metal heads when I wear floral pattern shorts alongside my Amon Amarth shirt instead of black jeans or cargos.

I can't say I would enjoy hanging out with a lot of my fellow metalheads outside of music events.

Welcome to a brave new world, my son.
youtube.com/watch?v=_Lvf7Zu4XJU
youtube.com/watch?v=YcTaToyaEOk
youtube.com/watch?v=kIBdpFJyFkc

You're not the guy the links were posted to, that was me, and I gave up after the first four, ya samefagging rascal ya.

Metal just reminds me of old men, black t-shirts and dog hairs.

I try to avoid looking at the news section on Ultimate Guitar when I'm looking for chords. Full of \m/ fuck pop music Dave Grohl is the king \m/ imibicles.

youtu.be/zTEYUFgLveY

i enjoy the basic sounds of guitar distortion and harsh vocals. it's like asking somebody why they like the sound of female vocals or horns; at the end of the day, it's just 'i enjoy the way it sounds'.
for you, those sounds distract from the riffs and songcraft while for me they add to them. it just scratches an itch, know what i mean?

Yeah.

why are plebs so put off by harsh vocals

Ghost is Uncle Acid for radio Disney listeners.

why has Cred Forums gotten so bad that we have reddit-ass posts like this regularly and the average Cred Forumstant's idea of metal is this hot topic-ass shit, and they think the "neckbeard contrarian metalhead" meme is an accurate depiction of actual metal fans

y'all retarded as fuck please leave this board