Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pXBV6FG3rkM
clyp.it/aovi1c3t
clyp.it/hqthm4it
youtube.com/watch?v=ynn5ek56pVI
youtube.com/watch?v=PHg8DMEAuFI
masf.figity.com/pedals
youtube.com/watch?v=4f3d5ZdE4vY
google.com/search?q=ebony fretboard&biw=1280&bih=625&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjZwMHjwpnPAhUHGD4KHa85CbMQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=ebony fretboard crack
craigslist.org/mf/c2abb1e6aea648eece8b43d79aaef68fdcc44b08.31
guitarland.com/ChordDiagrams/Frame3.html
youtu.be/NprGdJPm0ys?t=218
youtube.com/watch?v=2C0F7eFxhXM
imgur.com/a/jON64
dropbox.com/s/m1jqkmlj2g8puel/Kiesel solo contest nu.mp3?dl=0
clyp.it/y3x4m1fd
clyp.it/egzzwoyh
clyp.it/dgt5vnnp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hey /gg/ does anyone know a good 24 fret floyd rose guitar that doesn't look like an ibanez/bc rich meme machine?

Let's have one of these again

/gg/, when are you going to git gud and play a real guitar?

Electrics are nice toys, but eventually you'll have to graduate. Your tastes and ability(for certain) will grow more refined as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=pXBV6FG3rkM

Posted this last thread but would a HSS Strat with a Lace sensor red dually pickup in the bridge and a Lace sensor blue in the neck sound like Jonny Greenwood? Would there be any inherent differences to the sound of his Telecaster Plus than to a Strat even with the same pickups?

So what's the closest guitar I can get to an Ibanez RG, that is not an RG, doesn't look like a superstrat but plays like one? I was thinking of a Music Man Cutlass, but those thing costs a bomb.

I have tried a Carvin DC127 and the build quality is pretty good, but I don't like how the whole thing feels.

Here's a jazz improv anyway. clyp.it/aovi1c3t

Commie guitars always make me laugh at how awful they look and they most likely are.

electrics are cheaper and don't cry like a little bitch at the slightest change of humidity/temperature. and you can still play classical on it.
>but muh soft nylon sound and feel

It'll sound almost the same, you'll just have a little bit less sustain due to the trem as opposed to a telecaster's hardtail bridge.

Ibanez S (a little superstrat-ish though, imo it's just an RG but better everywhere)
Ibanez FR (it's a telecaster with the exact same neck as an RG)

It would probably be indistinguishable. Are you specifically trying to get his tone?

What doed /gg/ think of these?

*does

just kill me now senpai

too ugly to be used as a bass
too short to be used as a paddle or a hockey stick

I had a Jackson Dk2 which was really nice. Did'nt serve my purposes tho

>muh japanese shit guitar is here

Not so much specifically, but close to that kind of sound

other than that hideous control plate this looks like a pretty great guitar. how is the tremelo?

What are you saving up for right now, /gg/?

>pic related + AC15

template?

r8

clyp.it/hqthm4it

if you're trying to do malcom good job
if you're trying to do angus it needs a lot more punch. like 250% more punch

there's some kind of high freq in there (i think) that is hurting my ear a little bit. i actually thing it might be outside what i can hear but it feel it an it hurts... don't know what ya running it thru

or im tripping idk

angus lol

probably strange frequencies. amplitube 4 + other VSTs

Nothing, I don't feel like buying any more gear at the moment, unless someone drops me 2k for no reason.

I had a dream where I was hanging out with bill murray in a comic con parking lot in seattle (i've never been, met murray once when i was 12). we end up at a gretsch guitars booth outside, and i put my guitar down (had it with me for some reason).

went into the back of the booth and saw alex turner and miles kane in a laundry room and we laughed about accents or something, then i left to get my guitar back but the booth had changed and my guitar was now a white hollow body.

up to this point i had no interest in white or hollow body, but i can't go against signs

related to pic: hoping a guitar store around me will do a trade of swollen pickle for the fuzzface. anyone been able to do trades like this? I buy my shit from friends or online normally so not a lot of exp in the field.

also maybe an EQ pedal in place of the wah. i just do bends where others might wah i guess

Anyone here played through the Fender Vaporizer? The volume at 0/reverb at 10 thing seems pretty fun. They're not terribly expensive either.

I love the control plate. It's 90% the reason I bought it.
The tremolo is surprisingly good. It does detune the guitar if you're going crazy with it however. It's not on par with modern fenders for example.

Look into getting a used AC15, they turn up every now and then and the second hand price is usually great.

wudgotoaconcert/10

Beginner here. I realised something important today.

>It's up to your chord/note hand or whatever to keep up with your strumming hand, not the other way around

forgot something

I would avoid the Small Clone. Every one I've owned develops a nasty volume drop. I know it's shilled everywhere but there are nicer, more versatile chorus pedals at that price. I sold mine to a twink in Seattle for $80

in russia guitar plays you

>nicer, more versatile chorus pedals
Do tell

I don't want to grow out my nails.

youtube.com/watch?v=ynn5ek56pVI

Play with skin or buy nail picks.

Perfect tone and feel, wish i could play like that

Best budget alternatives for her? 100 euros or less pls.

TC Electronic Hall of Fame
Not really budget, but near your hundred pounds.

Hagstrom Viking. Check out that neck profile.

>Blue in Green

Cool playing, but just some advice that's a really sparse ballad I would dial it way back with the licks. Especially Blue In Green, that song really makes great use of silence/negative space. Listen to how Miles plays that track. Gotta let those notes breathe. Overplaying on ballads is a good way to get people to hate you :P

Probably a tele as well. Might get a tuner pedal and a fuzzface first.

Are there any Les Paul necks that don't feel like baseball bats?

What's the noisiest, hissiest, fizziest and above all filthiest Fuzz pedal you know?

Les Paul Classic. Still kind of chunky though, like a medium fender neck.

hard as fuck to find though.

youtube.com/watch?v=PHg8DMEAuFI

ty dude

I lied actually, that amp should be a friedman. fuck.

I'd get the micro pog over the regular one presonally. because it has the two outputs.

You're right, I mostly want it for some OctUP+Down sounds to mix with a fuzz anyways to mimic a synthy fuzz.

Fuck yeah damn where do I get one of these bad boys?

I should get a job

Maybe try to buy one directly from them. I've been looking for one for a couple of months but they never come up for sale.

masf.figity.com/pedals

>mfw a bassist uses a pick near me

Get me a white hollow body too m8.

>pls

Just play in a club or bar with bad wiring and click on any distortion without using a noise suppressor if you want that sound.

Woah where are those made in?

Yeah I kinda played too fast on that standard. I listened to Pat Martino's version of it and tried to play that kind of stuff lol.

Anyone here own or has owned a 50w/100w marshall/clone? like a SLP/2203/2204 etc

Electric guitars sound like bright, tinny shit even at the neck compared to nylon and you have to change the pickup selection in addition to hand position to change the tone, not something that's possible in an instant.
The string spacing isn't wide enough and the steel strings don't react to picado or apoyendo the same way.

So no, classical pieces should never be played on electric guitar, they sound fucking horrible and aren't capable of the tonal subtleties a classical guitar is.

Grab some fake nails, glue them on and then shape them.
They're a little harder to shape, but they don't sound much different if they're right.
The biggest enemy is them being thicker(unless you have hulk nails)

Build it, post results.

I don't have the money nor the living situation to post results. Unfortunately. I would build the shit out of it otherwise.

They were made in Korea, I think China now. I would look for a Korean model, they're pretty nice. All (or most) Hagstrom guitars have that neck profile so you should check them out in general if you don't like that shape.

I really the Hagstrom Swede.

Mxr analog chorus is one. The Small Clone only has one or two usable chorus sounds. It's one of the least versatile and EHX build quality is shit.

You can also check with Hellstone Music (Stockholm) if they ship internationally. They have a HUGE stock of old Hagströms.

They are Chinese made now.

Finally coming home tonight
Charvels, some burd SE guitars.

two stages, dc coupled cath follower, LT phase inverter. 50 uf filters and a choke so it doesn't sag all over the place like the older fenders.

I've got some repairs to wrap up, but a jcm would be a blast to have and make my own. Would probably go for an FAC control up front and some egnator style tone stack options.

Fell asleep..
Anyway, he was like 10 at the time
> grabbed slide whistle
> going to neigbor's to "jam"
> put whistle in mouth
> climbing over fence
> shoelaces get caught in fence
> smash face on fence
> whistle rammed down throat
> wrecked throat, goes to hospital
> turning blue, docs tell his dad he's gonna die
> gets tracheotomy
> doesn't die

>muh soft nylon sound and feel

Flatwounds

When I'm jamming over a regular old rock n roll chord progression, can I just throw in an augmented arpeggio somewhere or does that just sound bad and wrong?

DO NOT DO THAT unless you really want to risk serious injury or death

I plan on buying an electric as a companion to my acoustic and I was thinking a Jazzmaster but i don't know which models are good (don't have the money for a vintage original so it has to be newer production). Anyone knows about these? I was thinking a Classic Player but idk how the pickups on that are (preferably i want to buy a model i dont need to upgrade)

>>>/reddit/

try it and decide for yourself

Jazz/fusion players do that kind of thing all the time. Just make sure you have a good sense of phrasing and resolution.

Anybody know what this thing is?

Adds sustain

Yeah but which chord (Roman numeral) do I do it on? If the rest of the band is playing straight up major and minor or power chords, the 5th of the chord is always there so the augmented 5th seems like it would clash with that.

Did Les Paul fuck your mom? You sound defensive as fuck bro. I play classical too, but I can appreciate electric for what it is.

Anybody got a reccomendation for the best tubescreamer (clone) for as cheap as humanly possible? I was looking at the Boo instruments one, had an east river drive reccomended but didn't like it.

Any advice is great thanks. It's my first foray into valve amps. I'm late to the game considering i've been playing for 11 years.

My Schecter Spitfire going into a Peavey VK100 head

Also, buddy said i could have his Boss NS-2 for £30

Care to elaborate? Or are you just fucking with me?
l

What you never seen a tone spring before?

You can do it over any chord. The main thing you have to understand is someone playing altered lines are deliberately NOT using the same notes as diatonic key to create tension and dissonance. And almost always they resolve that tension by returning back to the key afterwards.

This is what I was talking about with phrasing and especially resolution. If you're not familiar with those ideas, learn some jazz lines that have altered notes and try to understand what's makes it work.

Well a lot of non diationic lines have some robust theory behind them other than just being notes that are out of the diatonic key. Like bebop lines built off Barry Harris' Sixth Diminished Scale. Certain "outside" notes sound especially tasty as approach tones to the next chord. Not just sliding shapes outside for being outside's sake.

You put it just below the neck on the guitar. Like where the neck plate usually sits. It's insane.

You already asked this.

Used HardWire RV-7.

All good points. I wasn't trying to make some sweeping generalization about alterations, just trying to introduce the concept to someone who doesn't seem very familiar with the idea.

But user, I already do play both classical and electric guitar.

Fretting hand*

Gotta admit I don't play outside much. I struggle to make my inside lines sound good.

Thoughts on pic related? I like the features but I've never played one and I wanna know how the neck feels.

Whoops, forgot pic

youtube.com/watch?v=4f3d5ZdE4vY

Why can't I play it yet for fuck sake

I'm moving up in life. I just got a new guitar with an ebony fretboard. It looks great and feels nice to play.
But as this is my first every ebony fretboard I'm not too sure how best to care for it.
Are there any dos and don'ts of ebony fretboards vs say, maple or rosewood.

Digitech Bad Monkey

I'm aware of that my fellow family member.
Couldn't find that darn thing anywhere with reasonable shipping prices to Finland so I reckon I should be asking again.

Occasional oiling/cleaning. Maybe a couple times a year. I like to clean it with oil soap and oil it with some linseed oil afterwards. Ebony is harder and denser than rosewood and maple so it requires less maintenance.

cheers, just watching vids now.

>ebony fretboard
Unfortunately, you'll probably just end up fucking it up.

google.com/search?q=ebony fretboard&biw=1280&bih=625&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjZwMHjwpnPAhUHGD4KHa85CbMQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=ebony fretboard crack

Ebony fretboards have a tendency to crack if not kept in ideal circumstances, that's why most manufactures have moved away from it as a fretboard material on electric and acoustic guitars, because a working instrument will seldom be in the ideal circumstances ebony requires. That's why Gibson has moved on to richlite on their custom shop guitars and Martin has moved to black micarta for the same reasons. Rosewood is naturally oily so it doesn't crack and maple is so dense it doesn't crack either.

Ebony is great for pianos that sit in one room their whole lives, not so much for electric guitars.

>richlite
So gibson uses plywood to build their custom guitars now?

kek

>that crack
might as well just burn the whole guitar holy shit

>tfw I have to leave for a road trip right before my new guitar comes in the mail.

>yfw the postal office returns the package because you won't be able to pick it u p on time.

This

huh, that's strange, i have an old bass with ebony fretboard, didn't know it could end up like that... guess im good in keeping it where it is. lucky.

craigslist.org/mf/c2abb1e6aea648eece8b43d79aaef68fdcc44b08.31
My ex broke all my guitars, should I buy this one?

Heres a screenshot if link is broken.

And what are the ideal circumstances?
I live in Utah so it's not humid and it gets really cold but I never play it outside. And I keep it in an airplane case whenever it's not being played.
It goes from its case to my hands back to the case when I'm done.

hello friends

Crybaby super wah pics

I Fucking know. The postal service are taking their sweet time torturing me. I wish the shop I bought it from used ups. They're so much better

I have a couple cheap fender dreadnoughts. They're built to last. Also, kill your ex. They deserve nothing less.

I have this one. Its an excellent guitar.

>tfw you're poor so you don't do anything interesting like new gear or road trip

sadly my 57 doesn't float like the one in the pic

>tfw you're poor and you just spent 1300 dollars on new gear when you know you shouldn't have but did anyway

>tfw everyone talks about boring gear and not theory and playing the instrument

muse all the way, eh? nice

52 reissue

That's par for the course with guitar discussion anywhere you go.

/comp/ is probably more up your alley

ty

yeah and you post and epic greentext and a fucking dog video

replying to myself

problem i've had with this is that the Green Rhino is pretty much nothing more than boost on the orange amp. the dirty channel does what the Green Rhino does built in (and what's built in just sounds better imo)

really sad because the first time I used that green rhino on a small marshal i started with i was fucking blown away. if i end up switching back to marshal (very likely because i miss the tones) it'll hopefully get to have some of its deserved glory. can't recommend it to anyone who uses/plans on using orange amps though

Kartakou Warmer. It also ships with different opamps so you can emulate different types of TS.

Yeah and you post
>yeah and you post and epic greentext and a fucking dog video

Oh hey what's up

A bass amp. Might go with a Fender Rumble 200 head for gigs and shit. I'm tired of sounding different every time I play and having to use a guitar amp for practice

calling someone out on their bullshit, is not bullshit

I do post about theory and playing and post clyps and shit when I post here though. You just singled out one post and assumed that I don't contribute.

Can anyone tell me how to play Vincent by Car Seat Headrest? I can't ear learn for shit.

When you're learning the major chords do you need to know them by heart? Or just the general C,G,D,A,E,B and can work from there.

I'm learning them right now for this guitar program i downloaded, don't know what they're for but that's what i'm gonna find out i guess.

Just wondering how much time to spend on then before moving on.

> LÂG Arkane Std

Got it insanely cheap and it's the best guitar I have ever played.
SD Pearly Gates in the Neck
SD Distortion in the Bridge
It can easily pull of every Genre from Jazz to Death Metal. Furthermore it comes with a great coil split that extends the tonal range even further.

Also Floyd Rose Masterrace

> JCM 900

The Clean Channel easily managed jazz, funk and acoustic clean tones, as well uncompressed, open sounding as classic rock / hard rock powertube-distortion when the gain is cranked.

The Distortion Channel is more compressed than the cranked Clean Channel and semi-modern voiced. It easily manages to pull off saturated, big High Gain Rock tones and even more modern sounding, metal distortion when boosted.

> Big Muff

Goes well with a Marshall, because of it's completely different, more american, fender-esque gain structure. With the sustain knob set between 9 and 12 o'clock ot produces a nice Blues and Psycho sound and with the sustain set past noon you can pull off Stoner and Noise sounds (boost it for extra noize)

> Boss SD-1

Classic Booster, prefer it over the TS9, Can be used to boost clean into crunch or distorted into metal territory.

> Cry Baby

Classic, versatile, works equally well on clean, crunch and high gain lead

Yeah, basically just learn those ones and then the minor forms of each and you'll already be way advanced than most guitarists.

>mfw my bassist refuses to use a pick even though he's way more consistent with one

God damn bassist memes, no one even cares besides other bassists

i used to be like this, just let him do it, practice makes perfect

Pick bass sounds so good, bassists just feel the need to differentiate themselves from guitarists as serious musicians. It's pretty childish, people need to worry about what works best for them and the sound they want to achieve.

All bassists should be able to play with fingers and a pick.

i can imagine it would be tough especially for beginners. the string-skipping is kinda tough

thinking about getting the 2017 SG Special T. also putting a lipstick in the middle of my Strat.

You'd be better off knowing them. Even if you never use those specific chords again, virtually every chord you learn is based on the same chord forms.

They're also the basis of the CAGED system, one of the best ways of understanding the fretboard.

Sauce?

guitarland.com/ChordDiagrams/Frame3.html

How's the Torns peaker? Devi is back and I kinda want one.

Why are guitarists such egomaniacs?

youtu.be/NprGdJPm0ys?t=218
help
pls

Is it USPS? It's a fucking disgrace that they are allowed to exist anymore.
Their tracking service is down EVERY fucking day.

Because it's a versatile instrument suited to a variety of styles and techniques, it's well capable for both rhythm and solo playing, it's popular, and it has a long history of sex appeal.

>and it has a long history of sex appeal
except when I play it

it's great, especially if you mess with your guitar's volume. only downside it can be very noisy.

I really love guitar synthesizers like the Roland GR series and hexaphonic effects processors like the Roland VG series.

In the future, I wish to combine them with sophisticated effects processors like Eventide H8000, Fractal, and more vintage GR synths, as well as the new one.

I've recently started learning guitars and i have a fender starcaster. But whenever i strum it, it vibrates for like 12 seconds. I feel like there's something wrong with it. Is this supposed to happen?

It's normal for strings to vibrate for a long time. It's in fact a sought after feature.

Do uncut guitar strings trigger anyone else?

I am always paranoid of getting stabbed in the face or hand with them

So I've been trying to learn this song on bass for the past few weeks
youtube.com/watch?v=2C0F7eFxhXM
and I've mostly got it down, except for the super-fast plucking at about the 40 second mark. My fingers just can't play it fast enough, though granted I only use 2 fingers I'd easily be able to match the speed with 3, but the problem is I keep defaulting to playing triplets when I use 3 fingers and have trouble playing at a regular pace, so I keep going out of time. I'm terrible at using a pick so that's not really an option.
Should I just learn to git gud at 3 finger plucking, or should I git gud at using a pick instead?

Coiled cables are super sexy.

Strings don't really pose a threat when they're that long.

It's the really closely clipped ones that tend to stab and scratch.

I think you basically have to use a pick for that. I didn't think tremolo picking was that hard, maybe you just are not used to it.

poor mac

Why do people act like you need to be a gearfag when you play guitar? I play decently well but I catch a lot of shit for not playing the "right" guitar or not knowing what brands to buy.

Am I an idiot for considering paying $60 to get a pickguard like this cut for my Les Paul copy?

>tfw I know that feel all too well

>pickguards

Gear is sort of important when it comes down to tone and how your playing sounds beyond composition and technique. It's also a comfort and playability thing; some people prefer certain ergonomics and design features that certain brands offer.

Because it's something pretty much every guitarist cares about, so the ones who don't are weirdo misfits.

>Les Paul Custom
>No pickguard

Bitch please.

I fucking hate Les Paul pickguards, they're so fucking ugly

i mean if you like it go ahead man

A Les Pauls pickguard is the only thing that marks them as "1950s". They're essentially shrunken solid jazz boxes from the 30s and 40s. Not at all "atomic modern" like the Telecaster or the Stratocaster.

>learning guitar, accidentally stumble on a really good method for learning
>inspiration flowing in, feeling confident and being amazed watching my own hands move around a guitar i could barely pick a year ago
>remember i just took my "wakeup" meds from when i worked a graveyard for the first time in months to help with tiredness

i started flubbing and feel deflated again. why does it seem like i need drugs to function how i want to

What's the best way to learn guitar beyond chords? Like finger tapping, get agility, etc.

I'm really not interested in chords I just want to get good at improv. and leads I guess... more into an experimental approach to guitar anyways.

Any recommendations / suggestions? I'll be so grateful

Gear elitism is widespread because it's just something you buy into.

Keep doing what works for you.

>that heavy wear on the neck pickup vol
why is joe perry such a plebe /gg/

i just realized the irony in the fact i was learning Better Living Through Chemistry, and anit-drug song

I played a 1974 hagstrom swede EXACTLY like that one and it sounded like SHIT

Arpeggios are like a skeleton framework of a chord. So you can learn those, then fill in the gaps between the notes of the arpeggio with whatever notes sound good to you.

That's why I think it's hilarious when people spend thousands of dollars on Masterbuilt Strats and Teles.

The guitars were specifically designed to be affordable mass produced instruments consistent in quality and character. They weren't based on the pre-existing formula for luthiery used by Gibson, they were designed from the ground up.

That's why the neck is screwed onto the body. That's why the body is a simple slab. That's why the woods all came from American trees. That's why there is no headstock angle. Even the Strat headstock shape was defined by budget, since it let two necks be cut from the same piece of lumber with minimal waste.

All of the vintage Fenders that are venerated today were built like Fords. One guy cut up the bodies and threw them in a bin. Another guy carved the necks and threw them in another bin. A third guy took a body and a neck from the bins at random and screwed them together.

The whole "the entire guitar was built by one man from beginning to end" originates in cottage industry. It's the pedigree of Gibson's electric designs. That's why a Les Paul built by Gil Yaron and Tom Bartlett is fucking amazing, the quality of the instrument is tied directly to the skills of the person or people making it.

That is a philosophy that has nothing to do with Fender guitars. The furthest extent that craftsmanship enters into it is in assembly of the various components and the final setup work. Masterbuilt is horseshit, and if it wasn't then it would mean that Leo Fender failed.

So... go Gibson or go home?

No, just don't get retarded and think the $5000 custom Strat you waited 24 months for is going to be more amazing than a $1000 American Standard.

There's a lot of great links in the OP that covers exactly what you're asking for.

And just a word of warning, chords are much more important than you're realizing. Any good lead player or improviser understands the chords they're playing over. If you gloss over that aspect of guitar, you're really setting yourself back.

imo if you use several pedals the actual guitar doesn't matter as long as it's not actual garbage

if you're plugging straight in yeah i'd lean more toward better guitar

>you're really setting yourself back
Yeah, but I hate the guitar as used in a traditional sense, I just want to transcend the typical rock cliché of the guitarist and use the guitar in other ways less explored (by the likes of thurston moore and blixa bargeld maybe, even bailey if you stretch it). Idk if anyone will get this idea or even respect it but I could care less.

I'm going to work on my fingers now, see ya. Peace.

Anyone got alternatives to pedals, recently got pic related alternative to a big muff
Love it so far, great sustain and doesn't really feel cheap even though it's chino I think

>wasting money in random crap shoots
Building guitar pedals is literally retard tier work unless you're talking about a complex delay or some shit. Why anyone with the internet would buy a six component fuzz for $150 is beyond me. 10 minutes on a breadboard, done for $3.00

i had one of these once
actually pretty decent, too bad it looks like the kind of toy you wouldn't buy to a kid out of fear for toxic paint

>hurr durr let me tell you what to do with the money i don't have!
>everybody is retarded except me!
>clearly you are being ripped off by stupid professional effects units manufcaturers, i would do a much better work for cheaper (if i actually knew how to do it)
please shut up

forgive me im new

how does this harmonic work on an open note? do i just assume it's the harmonic below what im playing on D#? (turning is drop C)

To be fair it was 30 bucks while the big muff was 70 to 80 and I don't know shit about building anything yet but it's something I want to do in the future

Nice arguments you got there, Tardy. Doesn't refute anything I said, but whatever.
Please, open it up and post a pic of the guts so I can laugh.

if you feel like you're sounding good and someone talks shit about your equipment, fuck him
seriously, fuck that asshole

however if you are a proficient guitarist but you can't make your shit sound good to save your life, you're doing it wrong

Why are used Fenders/Gibson so dramatically cheaper than what they cost new? Is it just supply and demand or are they just ripoffs?

Don't have it on me right now but sure I'll open the lil bastard :^)

what an asshat
if you're gonna talk shit about people's stuff post your siq DIY fx you totally paid a total of $3 for and demo them for us

I can't wait.
lol

I feel so bad cause I'm probably the best guitarist n I just sit on one lameass acoustic meanwhile you guys play your fuckin eric clapton wannabe sht on your fender 3000s. I just want an electric :(

Literally just a random price they come up with. Never buy any big name brands new. No reason to unless you live somewhere that doesn't have a large/reliable used market. Only thing if can think of is a very limited run that won't be made again.

then make one you lazy poorfag

>Is it just supply and demand
p much
new strats or LPs are always available at a moderate price, so why would you buy used instead of new? that lowers the price quite a bit, and then in the used market sellers compete with each other all the time making prices pretty arbitrary
if a guy needs money fast, or he has to get rid of his stuff, he'll sell a guitar he doesn't use for pretty cheap

not him but the components in most stomp boxes rarely add up to very much. the most expensive thing is usually the enclosure itself. never mind the sort of bullshit that goes on with boutique pedals. pic related $389 dba harmonic transformer in reverb right now

everyone in this thread is here because they love music, want to get pussy,or want to get famous so they don't have to work anymore

why are you being such a fag

Post the song and where that part occurs.

I bought this the other day and need advice if it's worth my time to refurbish. Imgur album: imgur.com/a/jON64

It was made in March 2005; a J width maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard and synthetic bone nut, gold anodized pickguard with a master volume, pan control between the split P and J noiseless pickup, three band EQ (bass/treble/mid boost and cut), and original hardware. There are blemishes but none (I think) that impact playability.

I did try the bass thoroughly before buying (and even had my friend try it too) and found a few things. As we turned the knobs they were gritty, almost stuck like, and the Pan Contol caused some scratchyness as we used it; we had to fiddle with the input jack to get sound; and the G string that leads up past the nut to the tuning peg shifts to the side (this is shown in the photos). In addition, the string tree is very close to the headstock; should it be like that? Also on the top of the headstock you can see some blemishing - is that the finish going? Will that lead to stress fracture and cracks? I’ve also heard that the electronics on an active bass need to be replaced after a period of time – how true is that?

We played it on all the frets and ran through the knob settings and were able to dial in different tones. Because of that we agreed that the asking price (USD 250) was worth it.

Before paying for a professional setup I'd like to thoroughly clean it because the seller said he left it lying around. I've got Dunlop 01 fretboard cleaner and prep, Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil, and Music Nomad All-In-One cleaner for the fretboard and body. What other cleaners should I have, if any? How about cleaning around and on the pickups? What cleaner and tools should I use for the pickups, chrome hardware, frets, etc. Also, how does having the anodized pickguard impact the ability to clean it, if at all?

I want to give this bass a chance but only if it's worth putting the time and money into.

yeah i guess it's surprising the amount of stuff you buy that you could actually do yourself, and there's no problem with that if you do

Is pic related (Ibanez SR250) a good bass to learn on?

I'm looking for a good metal/prog sound.

I don't know what to look for so any advice is appreciated. The main factor is really just less than ~$300 new and I can find one at a guitar center.

That's my point though. There is a point where a guitar stops being better, sonically, and that roof is much lower on a Fender due to Leo's design philosophy.

Good and bad guitars are determined by variables in production, mostly relating to the skills of the people who build them. Leo eliminated many of those variables with his designs which means that whether or not a Fender is good or bad or great depends on just a few elements.

You pay more for a better Fender, for sure, but the whole Masterbuilt concept is pure gimmickry. A Tele neck hand built by a luthier with 40 years of experience is not going to be a better neck than built by the machines at Fender's Mexico plant.

(im not the dude you were talking to about it, i just agree)

that being said i did buy a $500 chinaman made gretsch, which is still a lot for people who are budgeted $150 and up but it's better than the typical $2k gretsch. i however fully recognize i could have gotten a different brand of guitar for probably $100ish cheaper and gotten an indiscernible sound once all the pedals are on

How he has never clubbed steven Tyler with his guitar is mind bottling.

I like the saying "It doesn't matter once the drummer kicks in."

Ibanez basses in general are good learnin' basses. They've got thin, guitar-like necks so learning fingering is pretty forgiving. And they're widely used in the metal scene, for what it's worth.

I started on a SR400. I eventually switched it out because I didn't like the body shape, but they're well constructed instruments and they have nice tone. They also do some cool paintjobs, if that's something important to you.

Those are decent basses. I have an older one (2002) and I've never had any problems with it. Also had a squier pj bass, neck bowed real bad and the frets wore quickly. They both cost about the same

doesnt look that bad, a little cleaning and check that jack input, just a loose wire which is a pretty quick fix, worst case you might need a soldering iron if it's come completely off or is barely hanging on anymore. you might have to swap that pan control, but that is also a rather easy and cheap fix if you have access to a soldering iron.
not sure about that headstock, looks like some clear coat peeled/flaked off or something. it's just unprotected wood. if it bothers you a lot you can always try to sand it or something and put on clear coat again and it should be like new, but i doubt it'll do anything other than being a cosmetic thing.
nothing special about electronics for an active bass, all electronics deteriorate when they get rather old.

doesnt look like anything that will consume a lot of time and money (depending on how far you go of course but still, no major faults.)

>pic related was the stupid deal of the day a couple days ago
>didn't pull the trigger and buy it
Fuck, it was only $299

Thank you sirs.

that's not a harmonic, it's just an optional note

i just rolled with that. on the plus side i feel pretty good about playing harmonics now

better living through chemistry ver. 2 on ultimate guitar

if anyone have a better source im open to it. the version im playing sounds right but im pretty sure Homme plays it differently, but that could just be that he changed the live version

>tfw he turns 27 next year

I am actually scared for his life

Where's the best place for downloading ebooks of bass sheet music? I'm not a fan of tabs

Ebony requires more maintenance than maple or rosewood.

No it doesn't.

Yeah tiny bit, huge influence. I play and write sludge and stoner metal though, but I love the tone of Mansons.

>How long have you been playing?
~10 years now
Guitar and Bass
>Fav guitars?
I like Tosin Abasi's new signature Ibanez Prototype. I like any kind of guitar really. Different kinds for different genres.
>Fav guitarists?
Tosin Abasi, Javier Reyes, SRV, Tom Morello, Duane Allman too many to list
>Projects?
Workin on building a home studio so I can actually start to track some stuff.

What key is the Kiesel guitar solo contest backing track in? I don't really wanna enter I just want to play along.

Link here
dropbox.com/s/m1jqkmlj2g8puel/Kiesel solo contest nu.mp3?dl=0

>if it's too dry it shrinks and cracks
>if it's too humid it swells and when the humidity drops back again it shrinks and cracks
>if it gets too cold and then it cracks
>if it gets too hot it cracks
Think of it like a guitars finish, if it's enough (temperature/humidity) to make the finish check there's a possibility the ebony will crack too.

It does require more attention than either rosewood or maple.

Let's say I need to leave an amp in my car overnight. Is there anything I need to worry about? It's between 60-80 degrees right now if that makes a difference.

Maybe more than maple, if the maple had a hard finish, but not more than rosewood. It does not require regular oiling like rosewood does.

I have become your new god, /gg/.

Yes it absolutely does, learn wood you goober. More hard doesn't mean less likely to crack, it often times means the opposite.

There's a lot more to wood than just hard and soft anyway.

Rosewood doesn't require regular oiling. Rosewood is a naturally oily wood, the only reason you might feel a need to oil rosewood is if you've striped some of the natural oil out with some sort of alcohol based cleanser.

Thanks bud. I'll go ahead and clean it up and check the jack. I've never done pan control swapping before so is that something you'd recommend to a beginner?

As for the headstock, my concern is that the unprotected wood will damage much quicker than protected wood, leading to a greater chance of stress cracks/fractures. For reference, I leave my guitars on stands in a room temp room; sometimes the AC in the other room runs and cools it down; other times I leave the door shut and they get warm. I know wood doesn't like drastic changes, but in this case the changes take long to happen.

Thanks

Honestly I don't think so. Plug it in and play it - if there is drastic changes then something happened. I'd say the biggest worry is someone breaking in and stealing it.

> i wanna sound like im 100 yards away through pipes

figure it out yourself dood
Just try playing along and see what works

ricks are for dicks

>feel
lol ok

>Rick
MORE LIKE BRICK

anyone know any cheap sites to buy musical instruments? Looking for a new guitar rn, but may need stuff like drums stuff in the future

Reverb

Craigslist

Post the weirdest thing you can do that doesn't sound like cellphone feedback

this

Not same pic but

>tfw i can make incredible sounds on this but when i play live i can't recreate any of it because i have to continue playing the guitar

i'll never make it lads

clyp.it/y3x4m1fd

I won't be quitting my day job any time soon.

Sorry for the (cellphone) quality. I'm mostly inspired by Agata from Melt-Banana and his solo record in using so many delays, but I'm still trying to find more usable sounds other than "the noise your car makes when you leave the door open."

>Go to FUCKING guitar center on my way home from practice to see what the GC jew will give me in store credit for my BlackStar HT-DISTX for shits and giggles.
>Wait 30 minutes to see someone
>guy goes in to his computer to look it up
>Tells me he can give me $30
>"M8 the pedal retails for $200 new and can fetch $140 used"
>"$30 is the best I can do man"

WEW FUCKING LAD M80'S

Anybody here ever fallen for the GC trade in jew?

>Gamestop for guitars
That shit exists?

Never used Craigslist before, is it seems sketchy. That's why I haven't gotten around to using it.

yes

any classic bro's around

Aww yisss
It's fucking great

Ya

I wanted to trade in a Boss SYB-5 and they offered me like 40 bucks for it.

Admittedly it's not an expensive pedal, but that was a real low offer. The guys tried it out before making me an offer and after the manager turned his back the cashier went like "dude I'll give you 80 bucks if you wait 10 min for my smoke break."

So thanks GC I guess? haha

Fucking kek.

I sold them a Metal Zone once for $5. About what it's worth desu.

it really doesn't if you want a warm full sound to fill in music you use your fingers if you want a sharp distinguishable sound you use a pick but as a bassist you want to fill the music up so thats why you use your fingers and it isn't any harder just practice it.

>be me
>need new jack plate for my Les Paul
>go to Guitar Center
>point to Gibson parts area behind counter
>"I need a chrome jack plate, do you have one?"
>employee hands me a nickle one
>"Stupid fuck, I said chrome. You don't know the difference between nickle and chrome?
>"...s-s-sorry, I -I didn't know there was a difference..
>"This is a musical instrument store, it's your business to know the Goddamn difference."
>repeat in every department until every employee there is scared shitless to talk to me
>always play the Twilight Zone and Jeopardy themes on a Marshall before I leave

I fucking love going to Guitar Center, I go twice a month sometimes and don't buy anything.

I didn't say a fucking thing about hard or soft.

Ebony doesn't need regular treatment like rosewood does. Rosewood is an open grained wood and dries out if it isn't oil. Ebony is a closed grain wood, and an oily wood, and does not need to such treatment.

ah, i forgot that people have to use AC and stuff like that in other countries, not to mention that there never is any humidity or humidity swings here. might just be better to try to read up on unprotected wood than listening to me

as for the potentiometer, just swapping it should be real easy (assuming you either know basic soldering or can figure that out by videos (shits easy for anyone with normal levels of intelligence, i think you can handle it)
pretty much the only ways you can fuck it up is by A: getting the wrong potentiometer replacement like a dumbass or b: forgetting how the wires go after taking them off and then putting them back on in the wrong order like a REAL dumbass

the part itself probably says something like A250K or B500K or something like that so you easily avoid A, probably costs you less than $5 for that part. if youre not sure if you're buying/ordering the right one, consult someone that might know (like /gg/).
take a picture or something before taking off the wires, if they're all the same colour or some dumb shit like that then you should really be careful

now, i've never fucked around with panning pots like that, but i SUSPECT it might look something like this. so at most you'll be dealing with 6 wires, probably wont even be 6. you'll see what it looks like when you open it anyway.

must it be everything you wished for it to be

you are, in fact, autistic

I sold them mine for 20, and sold a dude my MO-2 for 60 outside.that's how I got my Orange here. I'll post some tones soon, need to get a good mic placement

>Rosewood is an open grained wood and dries out if it isn't oil.
No, sorry. Rosewood is a naturally oily wood, that's why it's rare to run across cracked rosewood fretboards. They don't require oiling unless you've stripped out the natural oils with some sort of harsh/alcohol based cleanser.

Ebony doesn't require regular oiling because it's a closed grain wood like you described. Because it's a dense closed grain wood that won't adsorb oil it can crack if not kept in ideal circumstances.

And I, in fact, don't care.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I've done basic soldering before with an Iron, so I'm certain I can handle it.

Good idea on taking a photo before taking it off!

It's just like a bulletin board. Anyone can lie, just meet in public and everything is as-is. Judge the items for yourself and don't get anything that relies on being name brand or whatever for the value. There are counterfeit things and muggers, but they're rare and yah won't get hurt in the middle of a coffee shop. Honestly I don't bother though, I meet at people's homes and just try to judge if the post is legit by the content and location.

You have to be 18 to use this website.

woah dude

oh hell yes can we finally get this party started

keep fighting the good fight user

oh for the love of ...
please shop the screw into her butthole and let my suffering end, its so annoying to watch that get posted, and see the misplaced screw every damn time

No butthole is that far from the vag anyway

It's time.

stop posting this tranny shit

/gg/ what's causing this weeb problem in the guitar community? pic related just some random ebay seller whos obviously an older man with pokemon shit on his wall

Nobody thinks this joke is funny, stop trying to force memes on Cred Forums you're embarrassing me.

Here, just recorded a sort of demo of how I got my amp, not quite clean but this is as clean as I like it. can dig in for nice crunch on the humbucker or pick lighter on my single coil for a cleaner but still hairy tone. I really dig it

clyp.it/egzzwoyh

>tfw traded in two shitty electrics plus 300 dollars for a martin at a local shop
>tfw made the mistake of getting rid of my first guitar

Pay someone to collect

what the fuck why is she upside down

most peeps around were kids at the time Pokemans + DBZ was on TV what's wrong with that

>why is she upside down

I don't know. Maybe it's easier to look at her from the player's view or something.

every single thing about this image disgusts me

>most peeps around were kids at the time Pokemans + DBZ was on TV what's wrong with that
this is obviously not the room of a young adult

>posted wrong clip
I'm done guess I'm too tired to post huh. Heres the real one I guess
clyp.it/dgt5vnnp

night /gg/ may you get GAS and aquire gear

It sounds like an urban rainforest

How's that swollen pickle?
I love the sound when watching youtube videos but I've never played one

I want normies to leave my website

>editing out his pee pee bump
sorry still a man

What the fuck that's awesome. Please play live with that

>he's never seen the vid
why is everyone in /gg/ always new

It is, friend. Sounds like a dream.
Got it as a bargain since it had a couple of minor scratches on the chassis.
Really happy now

Does anyone have any experience with Black Cat pedals

>"Boutique" OD/Fuzz

I was actually looking at their tremolo pedal

>boutique anything

just buy a boss, nobody can actually tell the difference

This.

goddamn user that's fucking sweet

plus they don't ever break

Poorfag reporting in

It's not a harmonic or an optional note. It means let the open string ring out while you pick the other notes

Just ordered the DOD. Very excited for it to get here. I used to have one of those and a tube screamer that a friend was letting me borrow. I've been missing both since he took them back a few months ago..

>$11,580.00
IT'S ABOUT TIME PRS FINALLY ENTERED THE MEMEMACHINE RACE

I've found the one mememachine to rule them all

gooby pls

I thought I was the only one

>tfw might have to sell guitar+amp+loop pedal to be to make rent next month

Idk what to do bros, I finally got 2 jobs this week but I'm not sure if I will get paid by the 1st. I have a shitty Yamaha acoustic but I'd really fucking miss my strat, I've played it everyday since I first got it 2yrs ago

Fuck me for being such a piece of shit, I should have got a job earlier, I shouldn't drink so much, I should quit smoking cigs

I deserve this

How much is your rent?

Only one good thing I'd give it to PRS retardedly overpriced private stocks and ltd editions is that they have better finishing and qc compared to Gibson custom shops and reissues. it's such a bad deal... could repurchase all my gear with that price.

>he likes warped 8string necks

>pic related

$460, stupid cheap which makes me all the more bummed out

can't you ask your landlord if he could let you pay later or ask for an advance at your job or something

Ok, do you have a credit card?

Sell drugs, your anus or steal from the rich.

I just got the job so no way I'm asking for an advance, and technically I have until the 5th before it's late and they charge me a fee but the landlord's are real hardasses

Ya but it's nearly maxed out

I really wish I got an adderall script before I came back to school, not even to take but just so I could sell, but I honestly don't trust myself not to abuse the fuck out of it and have a mental breakdown again

Idk, I'm probably (hopefully) gonna get my paycheck before the 5th and it's probably (hopefully) gonna be enough so maybe I'm just manufacturing all this stress in my head but fuck if it's not a real possibility, I guess I have a couple weeks until I find out

>but it's nearly maxed out
Ok, here's what I did a few times when I was tight on cash in school. It might be enough for you to get by with.

I would go to Wal-Mart and put something sort of expensive on my credit card (like a $300 vacuum cleaner or some shit) and return it the next day. I would ask the cashier for the physical cash back instead of the return going back onto my credit card (trust me when I tell you this: Wal-mart cashiers don't give a fuck one way or the other). It's basically an interest free *extremely short term* loan if you pay your credit card bill in full the next time it comes.

Alright, I'll give that a shot, thanks user

The few times I ran up on needing a bit of extra cash it worked for me. All I ever needed was a little bump to get me by and cash advances off a credit card carry ridiculous interest fees so I'd just buy something and return it and ask the cashier for the cash back instead.

If they had questions I'd just say I bought the wrong vacuum cleaner (blame your imaginary wife) and say I wanted the cash back so there weren't multiple confusing charges on my bill for the same thing because I was going to go buy the right one next with the cash right now.

Forgot to mention I have extreme autism by the way, in case you couldn't tell. If I could do it anyone can.

New thread pls respond