What does Cred Forums think of the Arctic Monkeys?

What does Cred Forums think of the Arctic Monkeys?

inb4 who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys

Other urls found in this thread:

skiddle.com/news/all/Noel-Gallagher-at-Lytham-Festival-review-/29562/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're okay I guess

- Everyone who's listened to the Arctic Monkeys

who the fuck are the arctic monkeys?

i listened to AM once, it was boring as fuck generic indie shit. I will give their other albums a try sometime but i don't expect much.

What does a band do, when they used to be the best in their scene, but the scene passed a few years ago?

First album is goat indie
Second album is decent
Everything else is forgettable especially AM

Very generic indie but generic doesn't necessarily mean bad. I like AM and Whatever People Say I Am

Their first two albums were okay. Now they are pretty bland even though I liked some of the songs on AM.

Suck it and see was fucking horrible.

FVN > WPSIA > Humbug > AM > Suck

>inb4 massive Humbug praise

this a million times

This. It's generic, but they're excellent at it. It's the best generic indie out there, AFAIK.

I've been listening to their second album recently, liked it a lot more than I thought I would based on my memories of their debut.
Probably because by now I know better than to expect this groundbreaking, incredible, whatever NME said it was album, but it was a pretty decent, if forgettable album

>Arctic Monkeys 2005
A group of teenagers make a a guitar pop album about going on the piss. The lyrics are surprisingly well-written and point towards a promising future.

>Arctic Monkeys 2015
After ten years Alex Turner is still writing about adolescent piss ups. His lyrical talents haven't produced a single great album or even a great song.

Yeah AM isn't great. Doesn't sound anything like their other stuff

Is that Adam Sandler

Can't. Unsee.

Just this

Humbug > FWN > WPSIA > AM > suck it and see didn't happen and we don't talk about it.

humbug > wpsia > fwn > am > sias
>no 8

I wish they kept writing about relatable experiences such as dickhead bouncers, shit gigs and shit clubs not abstract concepts such as loneliness and longing.
I know that sounds pleb but it is what made them stand out.

I also miss going to gigs 2008-2012 and every band having 2/3 covers from Whatever People Say, you could often hear that entire album in a night

Humbug is acceptable, as are loads of the B sides

wpsia > fwn > humbug > am > sias

AM is total garbage for NYU freshman girls. Their other stuff is worth a listen though.

Thats pleb as fuck mate

they started as a british rock band and somehow they became americans

Is loneliness and longing really that abstract of a concept? It seems like it would be something more people can relate to; especially their current audience of high school girls who just got dumped.

jej

There's a million records written about emotions, but I can count on one hand the amount written about doing a runner from a taxi

>live a lifestyle
>write songs about them
>become rich and successful, grow out of that life
>still talk about it?

I don't think so Tim

>I wish they kept writing about relatable experiences such as dickhead bouncers, shit gigs and shit clubs not abstract concepts such as loneliness and longing.
>I know that sounds pleb but it is what made them stand out.
Nah, not pleb, I know what you mean.
I like lyrics about loneliness and longing, but there are so, so many other lyricisists that do it so much better. Like you said, Turner's early lyrics made them stand out.

The stuff you mention being relatable was great because of how direct it was and they made that work. Stuff like loneliness and longing is also relatable but it's so cliche and also lacks that directness that made their early work stand out.

Liking stuff for being relatable is pretty pleb though. I don't want my musicians to pander to me dammit.

They grew up, it's sad but it's true, they are not rascals who are living the best they'll ever have anymore.

humbug alex is best alex
it's their best album too

See they broke into the top echelons at 19, they only had at most 3/4 years of average relatable nights out in the UK.
Then they've been millionaire rockstars for 10

that's one sexy Ovation

when I first glanced at this album art, I thought it was Adam Sandler

Better question, what does everyone think of Turner's work with the Last shadow Puppets?

I like it. It's sexy

>a bretty gud album if i do say so myself

Something about Alex Turner gets on my nerves and I'm not really sure what.

I watched the front man coming out in some sort of jump suit at Glastonbury. It seemed like they were putting out disproportionate energy to what they got back.

They're ripe for crashing back down to Earth and making a big comeback DESU in a few years

DESU they need a more solid UK scene to bounce off

how about no

Which may be on its way

dam he short

GQ best dressed 2007 runner up

What makes you say that?

I'm from Sheffield (their hometown) and have plenty of stories about them if anyone's interested
For me the first album is their best being that all the references to High Green & Hillsborough are all so personal, they're a ten minute bus journey away.

>They're ripe for crashing back down to Earth and making a big comeback DESU in a few years
Eh, comeback how exactly?
I think they'll becomes the kind of band that puts out consistently fairly average albums, and everyone will hate their last album yet hype the upcoming one as a "return to form"

spit them out.

Well a lot of new UK talent is still hacking it out so stronger UK line-ups are on the way. Remember, David Bowie has died and Noel went to Clacton ...

I poured my aching heart into a pop song / I couldn't get the hang of poetry

I'm interested

>I'm from Sheffield
My condolences

>I'm from Sheffield
I'm sorry
>and have plenty of stories about them if anyone's interested
Sure, go ahead.
Were/are they known to be dicks?

>I'm from Sheffield
Great gallery and Snooker

Sheffield it's such a small city, how come a lot of good and now famous bands came out from it?

Low hanging fruit bros

>Noel went to Clacton
Huh?

Brianstorm and R U Mine are their only good songs

noel gallagher

It's a 8.5/10 we know

second half of Suck it and See is my personal melancholy-core

Have a few more about Bring Me The Horizon and Richard Hawley/Jarvis Cocker too if this holds people
Short story to kick things off, my first meeting with Alex
I went to see Arctic Monkeys first time in a tiny place called Birdwell (in between Sheffield and Barnsley)
Birdwell is a basically a village of nothing, no idea why they were playing there, but they packed this little village hall out and they played all the classics and b-sides etc
People kept stage diving and my friend got up to do the same, but Alex fucking smacks him with his guitar for no reason and gashes his head open
After the show Matt and Alex are drinking cans outside so I go up and confront Alex on why he roughed up my mate, to which he told me to fuck off
I grab his shirt, Matt tries to break it up, he spits in my face and my other friend throws a fucking bottle that shatters against the wall and misses both of us
He calls me a cunt and scrambles off, and Matt just kinda gestured with his hands to keep it calm and follows him off
There's a follow up if anyone's interested when I met him again

That's the part I understood.

please go on

I don't believe in that story. Alex is such a shy and nice guy, I don't think he'll ever do something like that.

Anyway if he did HA a midget told you to fuck off

The scene now is pretty dead, promoters have dropped like flies and no one goes to shows unless tickets are cheaper than (and include) club night entry afterwards
Crucible is great, met Nicko McBrain out there once after the snooker, really cool guy
Yeah Sheffield's pretty dull, and only Alex was a dick really

>yet hype the upcoming one as a "return to form"
The UK band scene is a bit lonely right now, but when Temples and Vyrl Society and Sleaford Mods become regular mainstream on a bill with Annie Clark then Monkies headlining will be like ColdPlay Yellow era all over again

Rock and roll

He's 1,77m tall though

5'10 so what

I mean, HFB have been playing regional slots skiddle.com/news/all/Noel-Gallagher-at-Lytham-Festival-review-/29562/

They're a bit off the boil at the moment waiting for the reunion in 2022 where Adele comes on the stage with a bouquet in front of 250,000 Dads

Second time I met him was outside a club called The Leadmill (Pulp famously played there a ton of times)
He was there with Andy Nicholson (original bassist, really sound guy) and Chris McClure (the smoking guy from the first album cover, brother of Jon McClure one of Alex's old bandmates)
I avoided him to avoid trouble Chris came up and asked for a cig, so I gave him one and he invited me over
Started off pretty chill until my mate he'd injured a few weeks back turned up and started shit
It was only then he realised where he recognised me from and stubbed the fucking cigarette out on my top whilst Chris said his brother would "FOOKIN BATTER YAH M8"
A couple months later I befriended Matt Helders' cousin and I went round for a Christmas do and had a smoke and a chat with him outside whilst singing Come On Eileen, Matt was always a nice guy just a bit intense at times and people mistook it for arrogance.

Isn't that average?

>UK band scene is a bit lonely
An issue is that half the venues that haven't closed no longer host gigs.

The only live gigs that regularly get crowds where I'm from are ska shows, which is fair enough because they get wilder than anything else

Was at a more traditional gig last month and out of the 40 or so at the gig, mostly the other bands playing, there where less than 10 up on the floor

Listened to AM a couple years ago because my ex wouldn't shut up about it, never listened to it again.

Listened to their debut a few months ago, what the fuck happened to them? Love their debut album.

see

Wasn't AM actually the best record they have made?

Yeah no I totally get that, it was more rhetorical. Just a shame.

first three are all interchangeable anyway

first half of the album is bretty good

second half sucked

all the rock pubs are now flats :/ still, fabric closed so that's good. Fade out the clubbing scene get something new going

Got anything else?

Are you somehow surprised about their fame? I mean when you were there, listening to their music in underground clubs, you though they could somehow becaome as famous as they are now?

>fabric closed so that's good
I'd rather some "nightlife" than none

The first stuff they made are fine.

They are pretty good.

out with old energy in with new