Why do people get so defensive when you criticize their favorite genre/band

why do people get so defensive when you criticize their favorite genre/band

Because you criticized Their favorite genre / band .

In a society becoming increasingly comfortable, taste becomes one of the ways in which the talentless attempt to feel better than others. These kinds of people almost entirely indentify with their taste and cringe or get angry when it is criticised.

I bet you have shit taste.

Taste is a personal thing. If you criticize someone's taste you're playing with fire. You're pissing on what he or she loves.

gtfo pretentious faggot. you read to far into things.

Possibly.

because you're on Cred Forums where 90% of the posters are 16 year old kids with fragile existances defined by whatever shitty Cred Forumscore music they listen to.

if you're a normal, healthy human being you won't give a fuck what anyone things, but that would also require you to not seek out "le patrician!!!!" music in the first place.

Even the normal, healthy human beings give a fuck about what others think. Including music. How many normal, healthy human beings are comfortable to listen to cheesy pop or to overly emotional music in public?

This attitude of treating your taste in music like a religious belief (i.e.: getting buttmad when someone questions it) goes away after you turn 30 or marry, which ever comes first. The music you like to listen to is not supposed to be part of your identity (no one else cares, anyway).

Its called discussion.

If you want a reach around while you talk about music, go to /reddit/

because they are people

No, those people are likely still children (or man-children) and autistic. If you seriously get upset that someone likes something you don't, there's something wrong with you. If you're afraid to listen to what you like in public, there is again something wrong with you. Cred Forums just collects all these edgy teenagers on one convient board.

if you're ashamed of what you like or you go into a rage when someone enjoys "pleb" music I would hardly call that "healthy"

>If you seriously get upset that someone likes something you don't
That's not the point. The point was what you do if someone criticized your music taste, not that you get upset of others' taste in music. And don't tell me you will not get upset if I would criticize your favorite bands irl.

Only serious answer ITT

Music is the one thing in artistic media more than any other that people get really emotionally invested in. It reminds people of good or bad times in their past or helps them cope with shit they're dealing with. Chances are, your favorite bands/artists are the ones who've made music that emotionally resonated with you on some personal level, so when someone comes and shits on that, of course people are gonna be upset. Not that you have to go into an autistic fit of rage, but you're naturally going to defend what you love.

Okay, fine. Let's narrow it down to my personal reaction to someone not liking an artist that I like. I would not be upset for a few reasons: other people's enjoyment in music doesn't have an impact on my enjoymnet, someone disliking an artist I like is not a comment on me and lastly, if someone is judging me personally for enjoying something they don't like...well, that's pretty fucking dumb. But I likewise don't go into a rage if somoene says they like some artist I dislike.

I don't know why you seem to think it's impossible for me to not get upset if someone criticizes my favourite artist, but I can see you thinking that considering all the people on this board who are constantly seeking approval.

Because you're probably a dick about it.

>"Oh, I don't like that band/genre. What else do you like?"
Will get you a better response than.
>"That band/genre sucks."

This. I either just say it's not my thing in a polite way or I try to find something to compliment about the artist they like. Better yet, sometimes I try to suggest something that I think is related so we can get closer to a common ground. If we're musically imcompatible I just talk about something else entirely.

If you're the type of person that scoffs, says that an artist sucks or start talking about such and such music is for idiots... yeah, you're being a condescending ass and people are going to be hostile.

One thing is to say "I dislike your favorite artist" and another "your favorite artist sucks ass". On moo it's mostly the latter scenario.

Yes, but I'm not actually getting upset that they don't like my favourite artist at that point. I'm actually thinking that they're an asshat and that I no longer want to talk to them. I don't sit there defending my taste to people like that.

You just proved OP's point. You got titties too?

Losers always identify with another's work / accomplishments as if it's their own. It's why sports fans say "we" when they mention their preferred team, and why music fans dress similar to the artists they listen to, ie why a culure develops around an artist.

If a well developed or baseless argument gets you that worked up, either way, get a fucking a hobby. And no, listening to music is not a hobby.

Agreed with everything you said except that listening to music can most certainly be a hobby. It's just not something that should define you.

Fair enough. But people like to fight for basically anything.

>And no, listening to music is not a hobby.
Huh?

/thread

Yes, people on the internet like to fight over anything. It's a waste of time man.

>Huh?
I didn't say that, that's the post below mine.

maybe because its the only thing they have going for them.

My bad, I forgot to add the reference. It was for

No worries.