Lonnie Smith

mingus mingus mingus

already checked out john coltrane like most of his stuff

Mingus - Ah Um

Stan Getz
Lonnie Liston
Roy Ayers

youtube.com/watch?v=dnK6OHPQZbA

I usually recommend this album for anyone who asks me how to get into jazz. It's not one of the most transformative albums, but it's one of the most competent and well-executed ones. Just great musicians having a good time

Never heard one, but this is what jazz is all about. I like it.

Miles, Davis.. the list go on

Check out this jazz artist called kamasi Washington. He is the best and I suggest you take your bullshit spoon-feeding to wsr

not op, but i'd also like to get into jazz. only heard miles davis' kind of blue and really enjoyed it, any recs?

This is how I got into Jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=iYbulyVEmMA

>jazz album released in 1959 that isn't innovative at all but perfectly executed
4 1/2 stars, almost perfect

>album released in 2016 that isn't innovative at all but perfectly executed
2 stars jazz is dead
maybe 2 1/2 stars if the artist is black but jazz is still dead

Holy shit this chart is awful. Is the Omnibook in there as a joke or something?

johnwesleybarker.com/omnibook/

There are compilations of the omnibook recordings, but it is still a decent thing to listen to if you're trying to get a feel for what bebop was like.

What's your favorite Stan Getz album? I've been liking Diz & Getz a lot lately

This is a bad solution if you're trying to make it accessible.

There are equally good official (i.e. more accessible) compilations like The Best of the Dial and Savoy Session, which also has most of the definitive versions of Bird/Diz's standards.

>which also has most of the definitive versions of Bird/Diz's standards.
>more definitive than the versions in the omnibook that every jazz player has studied for the past 60 years
lol try again

tbqh Ornette Coleman is a great introduction to jazz

He's suitably weird but also bluesy and melodic enough to be accessible to most people. From there you can go forwards to free jazz and backwards to Charlie Parker and earlier.

You want some early big band, then look into individual soloist then jazz rock/hip-hop crossover into the latest avant garde

ok?

There is the American Songbook, it's a bit of a swamp stay out of it

Listen to The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest then listen to every song sampled.

youtube.com/watch?v=wzMD---rmtk
youtube.com/watch?v=n7VrbbP5ssY
youtube.com/watch?v=YT17H7e8GZA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkRn7l0kyc
youtube.com/watch?v=BVglo7vRskA
youtube.com/watch?v=W0tJVLqZ3SU
youtube.com/watch?v=iF8-LrkLKjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-7yvNevew
youtube.com/watch?v=JRC1rc-fiv4

The Omnibook is strictly focused on Parker's solos, not the other musicians or the arrangements. You're missing a huge part of the picture if you're just focusing on Bird's lines, and overall better (and often earlier) takes.

I got into jazz by listening to Charlie Parker and reading about him, I used to be obsessed with him.

Skip to the end if you want to get right into the modern stuff. The older stuff takes some working up to.
My first big love in jazz was Andrew Hill's Smokestack. I found wind instruments difficult to listen to so the dual bass/drum/piano setup was great, and the music is very experimental.
After that I listened to the entire Blue Note label discography, unless if I disliked them and didn't find anything noteworthy skipping through. I didn't find anyone I liked better than Hill, but I could at least tolerate wind instruments after this. Best people were Wayne Shorter, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis.
After this I heard Miles' 70s period stuff and I've been obsessed ever since. I'd heard it before, but I wasn't ready for it. I've known many other people who had this same experience. If you don't like it, return to it every few years. You'll be glad you did. The other people who come closest in terms of quality fusion are Herbie Hancock, Eddie Henderson, Miroslav Vitous, Terje Rypdal, Weather Report. Stay inside 68-80.
The 80s are tough. Modern times are a little better.
Try Wadada Leo Smith- Tabligh, Steve Lehman, Bill Laswell (start with Episome), Liberty Ellman, Evan Parker's Electro-Acoustic Ensemble, The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble/Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Supersilent, other Pi Records guys.

So make your own chart then why do I care?

Hahaha I was just listening to Art Blakey at the Bohemian (where the first sample's from)

The story of Be-Bop is a white man's invention

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
youtube.com/watch?v=V475fkte0xw

?????

The album that got me into jazz is Herbie Hancock's Headhunters. It's a mixture of funk, jazz and rock. It's a good starting point for people not used to jazz.

alice or john?

Why do you think it's a bad idea?

The dial and savoy takes are great, but it's very overwhelming for a new comer, since it's about 4 albums worth of tunes.

I helped make some charts a few years ago but I don't really browse Cred Forums anymore so I don't know if they're still floating around.

If I run into the guy in a future thread, I'll definitely mention that it needs revision, especially with the pre-War sections.

It's problematic because it's harder to find homemade compilations unless you know where to look.

Like I mentioned, there's a single disc compilation of the "Best of" from those sessions, which is a great starting point.

Listen to Part 4 - Psalm. If you like it, you'll start listening to stuff. If not, listen to another genre.