/comp/ - Composition General

"I adore extravagance but I abhor waste." Aaron Copland

Rise from the ashes edition

prev An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post clyps, and accompanying notation if possible, so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

>Stefan Kostka, Materials and Techniques of 20th Century Music
dmu.uem.br/aulas/analise/Kostka_MaterialsTechniquesXXCenturyMusic.pdf

Someone recommended Harmonic Practice in Tonal Music, I haven't located an online copy though

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/EjYVcErt

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lPAJCcNrMS4&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4apk30rd5ro-IxkncZubFju
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments_by_transposition
clyp.it/s54jjajn
clyp.it/pyod4ub4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>looking for composers on wikiquote
>tfw Clint Eastwood is listed

youtube.com/watch?v=lPAJCcNrMS4&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4apk30rd5ro-IxkncZubFju

He writes a lot of film scores apparently, in addition to jazz and country music.

Hooray I can go on ranting about how jazz harmony confuses me.

> IVmaj7 chord.
> call it rootless II9
> Okay.

> C6 for major chord
> C13 and C-13 for dominant and minor chords.

in the end, it all feels arbitrary and I'll have to memorize lots of chords instead of being able to just induce them logically.

Apart from notation (and taking enharmonics for granted), this stuff is very interesting and insightful

How do I transpose for trumpet and saxophone? thank you

What's your experience on the piano? I've been thinking of reading that.

I can mostly play the first movement of the Clementi sonatina no 1

22yrs of classical piano here, anyways that book is not about difficult technical stuff, but more about chords and efficient ways to play them, therefore technical skill is irrelevant to a certain degree. Of course you need to practice in order to get fluent in all keys, but clementi should be enough to get you started, if you're already intermediate in another instrument and/or in basic music theory

>majoring in music
>think classical is dogshit

you can't stop me

Benjamin Britten is good

What's your poison, pal?

> IVmaj7 chord.
> call it rootless II9
ii is way more common than the IV in jazz progressions. It may seem arbitrary but it does simplify things. Likewise with iii and I, viiĀ° and V.

> C6 for major chord
> C13 and C-13 for dominant and minor chords.
That's not quite right. First, there are major and minor 6th chords, as well as major13 chords.

6th chords are strictly 4 notes (e.g. C E G A), while 13th chords are 7th chords with every upper diatonic extension (e.g. C E G B D F A). 13th chords don't usually use all of those notes, but they definitely have the 7th and 13th to "fit" the definition.

Not familiar with either instrument, or transposing instruments in general, but that depends on what kind of trumpet and saxophone you're talking about. Wind instruments are basically the grand matriarchal extended family to string instruments' small nuclear family - there are many, many different transpositions to different pitches and different octaves for the same instrument.

You should keep a good conception of how transposition works in your head while working with them.
For non-transposing instruments
>written C4 = concert C4
For high F instruments
>written C4 = concert F4
For regular F instruments
>written C4 = concert F3.

If you have a regular F instrument and write C4 in the score, what you'll hear is F3, a perfect fifth below what is written.
Conversely, if you have a regular F instrument and you want to hear C4, what you write in the score is G4, a perfect fifth above what you want to hear. Keep these relationships in mind at all times when working with these instruments (I know I have to, being a lowly string player with a puny mind).

The most common trumpet is a regular Bb instrument:
>written C4 = concert Bb3 (whole step below what is written)
Trumpets have all kinds of different transpositions though.

The two most common saxophones are the alto saxophone, a regular Eb instrument:
>written C4 = concert Eb3 (major sixth below what is written)
and the tenor saxophone, a low Bb instrument:
>written C4 = concert Bb2 (whole step + octave below what is written)

Here's a handy list:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_instruments_by_transposition

There are major 13 chords but C13 describes C Dominant 13

Makes sense to keep things simple, as this facilitates improvisation.

I'm getting the hang of the 6 thing, too, I think.
At one point, Levine says that 69 replaces the maj7, so thats consistent with the '13 implies 7'.

Thanks for the hint.

>45 minutes spent on one post
I always do this, Jesus Christ

Can't stop you from having shit taste

That's pretty well understood, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If I wrote something that's unclear, let me know.

Thanks for typing this up.

I created a new genre I like to call "Shitcore"

It's where I want to make a beat but I'm uninspired, but I make one anyway.

Ric Flair Blades of Glory
clyp.it/s54jjajn

Ah, alright then, I'll check it out.

We are talking about the Levine Jazz Piano book mentioned last thread, right?

Yes, indeed. Start slow, try out everything at a pace that you can follow. That's more important than playing stuff fast but sloppy imo

>tfw scrub trying to transcribe my first easy videogame tune, for practice and to later analyse it
>Don't have my piano, or any instrument available to check sounds easily
Doing it only with sounds in the computer hurts. When I started, I was using my piano and it was fairly easy to compare the sounds. Using the laptop feels so limiting.

And I'm probably fucking something up in Sibelius. Not sure if the strings are supposed to be that far apart from the other 2 instruments.
Also, on an exercise I was doing I was meant to get the diminished vii 7 in f# minor. The solved exercise just raised E and left G, B, and D as they are in the scale. Meanwhile, what I did was add alterations as
>G natural
>B flat
>D flat

Was that a mistake from me, or do both work? I did that under the idea that E was the vii and I should part from there, without altering it. Does it make more sense to raise it just so the rest of the pitches keep their correct alterations for the scale? Maybe both work and it's up to context?

Imo even in minor, the vii is (functionally) the leading tone, so I'd say viiĀ°7 of f# is

I would consider that a mistake. The diminished vii strongly suggests you're in a minor key with a raised seventh (probably harmonic minor), so in this case, E#. Then build your chord from there. The flats in your E dim chord should have been a red flag, because you usually don't mix sharps and flats like that.

All right, that makes sense. Thanks.

fuck, I'm having the hardest time figuring out the meter. I know it changes to something a lot simpler at 0:26

Sleep bump.

I'll mourn your death later

I'll do my best to keep the dream alive

Copland is trash btw

Does it though?

This probably isn't the right thread for this, but could somebody help me convert an audio loop into MIDI or at least just tell me the notes? I figured you guys would be the best at that.

If this isn't the right thread, feel free to tell me to fuck off. However, if someone could help me, here's the clip:

clyp.it/pyod4ub4

Ignore the droning note underneath, I'm really only looking for the lead. The key is A#m.

Yes. C13 is C Dominant 13.

Bb D Bb A Bb D Bb G

Eights notes, seems to start on a partial 8th / pickup 8th. Best I can do, am in bed and falling asleep not to music

Are you sure it's not in G minor? I'm hearing
Bb D Bb A Bb D Bb G :||

Maybe the pickup measure is a dotted quarter or maybe there's no pickup measure at all. I only have abs pitch, not rhythm, soz.

I'm only assuming it's A#m because that's what it says in the file name. That could be what's throwing me off. Thanks though, guys. I'll try it out.

Anyone some way to transfer compositions done in Finale/Sibelius to a DAW like Live?

Yeah, it's definitely G minor. You guys were right. Thanks again.