Rock isn't relevant anyomre

You have 10 seconds to name a rock band from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Nirvana.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P Rock

Please note:
>The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Bloc Party, The Libertines, Blur, Pulp, Suede, and Interpol are not culturally relevant, all of them are fad artists associated with a certain 3-5 year timespan with no real longevity or standing cultural relevancy. You're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook the way you would a contemporary hip hop artist like Drake or Kendrick Lamar.
>Jack White is not a culturally relevant artist. Seven Nation Army may be a culturally relevant track but having only one culturally relevant track indicates a lack of longevity and thus a lack of cultural relevance as artists. See also: Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Los Del Rio (not rock artists but it's a fair analogy).
>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.
>The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, The National, The Hold Steady, Dinosaur Jr, Deerhunter, Mac DeMarco, Porcupine Tree, Beach House, Ween, Titus Andronicus, Bon Iver, Pixies, Spoon, Pavement and Modest Mouse appeal to a far too niche demographic to be considered culturally relevant. This is also true for all metal.
>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years.
>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FFHyT64ITnQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Joe Bonamassa

>Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands

sonic youth

>Radioheas not a rock band
What?

>R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years
False

>Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance
>X is not culturally relevant because you're not going to hear their music being played at a high school dance or have a large number of normies sharing them on Facebook

>Bruce Springsteen, and U2 have not been critically acclaimed in the last 25 years

That is incorrect.
U2 released one of their most acclaimed albums in 2000 and pretty much every Springsteen album gets acclaim across the board, usually ending up on a ton of AOTY lists for that year.

I have literally never listened to a single song by him in my life. And I listen to rock all the time.

Queen of the Stone Age hav had chart topping albums and are commercially successful, but are not culturally relevant as nobody really cares about them outside of their core fanbase.

death grips

If you're going to be this autistic about the criteria you can literally argue that no genre or style of music has ever been relevant.

Even if what you were saying wasn't completely retarded, baiting bullshit, which kind of fucking faggot cares if the music they're making listening to is mainstream and critically acclaimed ? How fucking insecure do you have to be to even care ?

Especially on Cred Forums - "Music Hipster Central"

youre my hero

You are aware that you aren't the benchmark in terms of popularity ?

they are POP bands

haha you're fucking retarded.

Are you retarded ?
Like really ?

Seriously, do you honestly believe that "pop" is a genre ? Let alone that a band can't be a pop and rock band ?

Like FUCKING POP ROCK ?!

Do you have down syndrome ?!

Gorillaz

Also, Blur and Oasis are both culturally relevant and Radiohead and Arcade Fire are rock bands.

>popular music is a genre

Lmao I can hardly wait for this thread to be ignored, and all of the hard work you put into typing out all this bullshit slap you in the face

It's a copypasta newfag

>U2 released one of their most acclaimed albums in 2000

Never understood the love ATYCLB got from critics. First half is good, but after Kite it's just forgettable filler

"HipHop isn't relevant anyomre"

You have 10 seconds to name a hiphop artist from the last 25 years that is both critically acclaimed and culturally relevant. Please note that commercial success is not synonymous with cultural relevance.

Impossible Mode: No Eminem, JayZ or Kanye.

Oh wait, you can't.

R.I.P HipHop

Please note:

>Every HipHop Artist Pre1990 doesn't count because I said so for various autistic reasons, but mainly because I would be proven wrong if I weren't making up retarded hoops to jump through

P.S. LEARN TO SPELLCHECK YOU FAGGOT

Lol kill yourself

>RHCP
>Not critically acclaimed

By The Way and Californication (while not having the best production) are pretty damn acclaimed.

this
/thread

You do know, that rock was never mainstream, right ? fag

This is an edgy pasta

>rock isn't culturally relevant
How many kids do you know who play guitar? Now why do you think they would do that?
>you can't kill rock n roll faggot.

Metal.

Queens of the Stone Age had a Grammy nominated album in 2013

>these bands are not culturally relevant

you sure know better than everyone else.

shhh, you're bursting his autistic bubble

There has been no relevant rock bands ever according to your definitions. They were all just pop acts

wilco

this is why people don't take you seriously

Radiohead is art rock
Arcade Fire is baroque pop

>Comparing Jack White with MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice

He is setting fashion trends

>inb4 "but my mom doesn't know him so he isn't relevant"

just so we know what bands ARE culturally relevant according to you

RHCP anyone?

Name ONE great rock band from the last 25 years. You can't! Just to clear things up, none of the great rock bands from the past 25 years count. le edgy meme xD death of geetar music!

Doesn't count. They are a pop act

too niche of a market

and that means they are relevant? hahaha

Fall Out Boy, Green Day, and MCR are all critically acclaimed despite their shit

Phish. You may not know them well because you sound like you don't get out much but they're a constantly self innovating band that has been relevant the past 30 years. No band is loved more than them, bar none.

ok i just saw theyre mentioned in the OP, but hes wrong.

Spoon
Now fuck off

This shit right here

Pop music doesn't count. already been stated

yeah so Mumford & Sons is Rock but RHCP arent.
Eat a cock

what is the MOST relevant genre right now??????

Rock.

OP here again. I dare you to name a single rock band and I will mental gymnastics my way around into telling you they were not rock or relevant

Coldplay is culturally relevant.

>it needs to be culturally relevant to be a rock band
I guess this is a legendary drunken performance of "not rock"

Fuck off with your dumb pasta rapcuck

If critics haven't acclaimed a popular rock band in the last 10 years that's due to an agenda they're pushing, it doesn't indicate the popularity of rock at all. There have been rock bands that are popular and rock bands that are acclaimed. Critics just don't want you to believe that a band that's popular can be any good. Blame p4k.

Where do you live, I wanna give you the punishment you dad never could

>Foo Fighters
>Tool
>Pearl Jam
>Brand New
>RHCP
>Not critically acclaimed
What? At least one album by each of these bands has gotten heavy critical love. I don't personally dig any of these bands too much myself, but I would be delusional if I said they didn't get love by the critics.

I guess you don't know what critically acclaimed means

lmao @ all these buttblasted rockfags

>@
>>>/twitter/
off with you, fucking nigger

Even with your retarded subgenres
Beartooth

god what a shit pasta
have a (you), op

Shit I can't.

Hip hop is creatively dead.

Just because double-digit IQ normies stopped listening to Hip-Hop doesn't mean it's dead.

Tyler The Creator
Donald Glover

That's pop and not critacally acclaimed

5 panels and flannel is being attributed to mac now?

Clutch.

Vaporwave

fuck u most people I know love Mac Demarco and Ween

>Muse, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Tool, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Pearl Jam, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Blink-182, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Mumford & Sons, and Red Hot Chili Peppers are not critically acclaimed.

Does making it onto the simpsons not count as critically acclaimed?

what genre is critically acclaimed and culturally relevant then?
and why?

nice copypasta btw

Folk
Indigenous music

>critically acclaimed
remove indigenous music

too niche a demographic

No, it obviously doesn't. What an odd question. You think the TV show The Simpsons is a music critic?

Taylor Swift.
srs.

>started in country rock
>10 grammys
>more popular than any negro music
>active for 12 years so far, each album sold more than the last

is OP trolling? he's fucking retarded.

1 word .. april aviking #iscockstillrelephant

>implying being good to critics means good music
yeah, the Beatles are shit.

>name a band relevant and acclaimed
>except for these relevant and acclaimed bands
faggot get off this board

No, rock is irrelevant now. Thankfully.

its okay being dumb I guess

coldplay

>Beatles
>Shit

Granted, some of their early stuff is a little boybandy for my tastes, but 1966 onward Beatles were fucking amazing.

make aa guitar sound good
prof tip, you cant

Laughing stock came out in 1994

22 years ago

it was sarcasm. Scaruffi's edgy Beatles reviews.

Ah, sarcasm is hard to get through text sometimes.

Weezer

>be mac
>join the 27 club soon

>doesn't even know rock was first played solely by wierd dragons who smashed the tiniest violin ever with huge axes but not hurting them.

>Rock isn't relevant anyomre
As much as I'd love to believe it we're not there yet, sadly. When rock finally dies and people stop treating it like the second coming I'll throw a party, like you would for the toppling of any dictator.

>Tfw favorite rock band only did two studio albums before they split
>They weren't popular at the time, but as the 90's passed many say they saw the style rock was going in the 90's and did it first
>Missed my chance in the 90's to attend their live concerts, which were extremely good as the band was best live

tips fedora

Well, saying 'culturally relevant' is way too vague. Any number of Rock subcultures are still in fact 'culture'. I could say Primus and say that it is relevant to psychedelic subculture, therefore culturally relevant.

Slint sucks

I thought fedoras listened to classic rock and metal exclusively. Does this insult have any meaning anymore is it just a free-for-all?

People still fall for this copypasta

it is a dark day

Rock? Nah

Weezer dumbass

It ain't slint senpai

That doesn't change the fact that Slint sucks.

Jawbreaker?

Nope
I told you, they're pretty forgotten. Everybody bashed them back in the day.

Is it Creed?

Okay you deserve a hint at this point
>4 guys
>One famous
>Famous guys career was saved because of the band after a disastrous solo album
>After the band split he got back to being in the spotlight and released albums for years

I love Neutral Milk Hotel too.

Is it The Verve?

I laughed my ass off at this

Earshot?

Seriously though, kill yourselves if you unironically replied to this brain-dead mong.

Sage.

Who cares if rock isn't relevant anymore?
OP is a faggot for shitposting and all of you anons are retarded for responding.

Jesus fuck
No
Actually I realized the band released their first album in '89, although their more cult-popular stuff was released after, so, I shoul've said they formed in the late 80s.

People are wearing it because of him so yeah

Stone Roses or Pixies

Big Black

Probably Alter Bridge or Buckcherry or some buttrock bullshit like Cracker or Silverchair.

Fuck it, here you go

>some buttrock bullshit
nailed it

>Phish

Get off the computer and go take a shower, you disgusting druggie

um...metallica?

>LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are not rock bands
>Radiohead and Arcade Fire
>not rock bands

This is the type of stupid shitposting that needs to be moderated off the board.

did i win?

How about the Killers cuckboy
Reviews are mixed, though largely positive (these are for Hot Fuss)
They have had multiple hit songs, and Brandon Flowers now enjoys a moderately successful solo career with a reformation of the band coming soon, if i'm correct

checkmate atheists

forgot pic

!!!!!!!

You have 10 seconds to name a color of the rainbow that is both aesthetically pleasing and culturally relevant

Impossible mode: no red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet

The Cure

Nice. I keep on forgetting to add this to my copypasta folder.

Thanks bb

Homo, the whole of the spectrum of the homorainbow. Ween... I don't mind ween to go dance to. #rockisded

weezer

>if I define the terms I win the argument

>critical acclaim mattering even slightly

what does this post mean

>Gorillaz
this shit right here, wins even with OP defined terms.
who?

linkin park

Beck. If your not cumming from hearing he's got new shit coming out next month,
You're fucked in the head.

fuckin the XX

>POP
youtube.com/watch?v=FFHyT64ITnQ

>Be Cred Forums
>listen to the same 250 albums
>laud brilliance of unknown /lesser known artists
>Criticize "normies" and "plebs" for non "patrician" tastes
>Shitposts about how "rock isn't culturally relevant"
>Literally no one listens to Captain Beefheart in the current year without an agenda

You guys kill me

Lol in ten years they won't be able to induct into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (t, so stupid) because there will be no more important artists in the genre to induct. They'll probably induct Beck or something grasping at straws. Rock and roll and the whole baby boomer generation was strange, that whole era had this attitude like it was permanent and it would last forever. They never considered that rock and roll was just another phase. The most 'relevant' rock acts of the past fifteen years have all sounded very antiquated and regressive. Rock never really progressed past 1996. It was around then that the most forward thinking rock groups started branching off in more abstract directions. A lot of bands were ditching guitars all together. Even prominent rock veterans like Neil Young and Lou Reed started having longer gaps between releases, and when Neil Young returned to the stage in 2000, something that had never been the case before happened; he sounded old. So did rock.

>Bon Iver [...] appeal to a far too niche demographic to be considered culturally relevant

I don't even care about taking the bait, /moo/ should have some kind of test to disqualify people like you from posting. How the fucc is Bon "I'm a white teenage girl who share artsy bleak photos on my tumblr while talking about how l wanna get away from modern society and live in a hut" Iver niche?

not that the opening of Perth isn't absolutely beautiful mind you, but it is still /normiecore/

>white teenage girl who share artsy bleak photos on my tumblr while talking about how l wanna get away from modern society and live in a hut
You just answered your own question.

Does Grinderman count as dad-rock?

you and this thread you made are absolutely fucking retarded

What I have learned by perusing through this thread:
OP is a little loose in the wrist
Internet popularity is not enough to be considered culturally relevant
Critically acclaimed automatically means pop. Anything critically acclaimed is automatically pop music and therefore disregarded as pop instead of rock.

It's rock's creation myth by misohumboink, heathhen!!!

Literally everyone knows a couple rhcp tracks

Prog metal and hip hop for some reason

Friendly reminder that only three genres exist.

This.

If critics didn't have an unjustified hatred of pop-punk there would be plenty of examples.

First Say Anything and PATD albums> Is This It

What makes the Ramones punk and not pop punk is that they didn't sell enough records, of course

Talking Heads

fuck you