Untrained guitar

What are some artists and musicians that despite having zero classical training (or any training whatsoever) on guitar came up with their own ways and got through eventually playing in abstract / experimental / unorthodox ways.

pic related ofc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sWwrztPU6Ck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Geordie Walker

Me.

Sonic Youth
Derek Bailey

Seconding this, i'm talented in the ugly guitar sounds

Pretty much every relevant guitarist lol people who are classically trained tend to be afraid of radical musical ideas. At least from experience I know that self taught guitarists tend to be way more fun to jam with as long as they know their scales and chords and basic theory and they are more open minded as a general rule

>their scales and chords and basic theory and they are more open minded as a general rule
Read the OP, i'm looking mainly for guitarrists that refuse proper theory and play guitar in out-of-the-norm ways but without being trained at all (like Blixa, who basically just picked a guitar up and went from there; no chords, no scales, no nothing).
>classically trained tend to be afraid
Not really, the best guitarrist I know irl is classically trained and digs a lot of experimental music so he actually tries different things all the time

Sonic Youth were trained as far as Thurston and Lee goes, weren't they?
Same with Bailey

Tommy Emmanuel

keiji haino

omar rodriguez lopez

You know, I can take quite a big chunk of avantgarde/experimental/whatever-you-can-think-of stuff on me and I'm able to listen to it with a straight face for at least two hours, forcing myself to like it -- it's something I somehow like doing as a challenge. I see music as a challenge, sort of. If you will...

But our dear Haino-san here... now that is something I cannot believe has pushed its way through the music scene, to the point where people actually appreciate this pseudomusical piece of shit of a random notes and guitar scrubbing/plucking -- or whatever you wanna call the thing that he's doing with his guitar.

Keiji Haino is like Yoko Ono -- the modern art of music.

tldr; utter crap

-_-

I also have a hard time appreciating Derek Bailey.

have you listened to fushitsusha

Pretty sure he had classical lessons, which is why he sat down. I might be wrong though.

nah he sat down for the same reason he got an afro, to more closely resemble a mushroom (symbol of fertility)

The Shaggs. 3 girls who's dad forced them to make a band. None of them can play anything. The results are comic.

>keiji haino

Listening right now, it's really not that bad

>Thurston and Lee
Kim Gordon isn't trained at all for sure. Listen to her Body/Head records, great stuff.

i get the jokes but come on...

What are your favorites of avantgarde/experimental/etc? Anyways if you HAVE TO force yourself to like it then it's not for you, really. Maybe you just don't like it while other folks do, no big deal. But don't force yourself to like anything, that's terrible.

Listen to Haino's Koko, youtube.com/watch?v=sWwrztPU6Ck

it's his least experimental

I wouldn't call his style unique, but I was genuinely surprised to find out that Ben from PWR BTTM didn't start playing until a few years ago considering how skilled he is.

Fripp literally invented his own tuning you doofus

Source on that?

Makes me wanna try guitar again or just don't even try forever. Either dude's a genius or it's all lies, he can play pretty well desu, at least he's kind of inventive.