Pop

I'm interested in pop, I picked up 1989 for cheap and now I interested. Aside from Emotion, what are more great pop albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E5ONTXHS2mM)
youtu.be/l5D-bWGK0l0)
youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM
youtube.com/watch?v=X9YMU0WeBwU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is honey for your ears

Shiina Ringo - Karuki Zamen no Hana
Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
The Doopees - Doopee Time
Jill Scott - Words and Sounds Vol. 1
Antena - Camina del Sol
Scott Walker - 3
Katy B - On a Mission
Camille - le fil
CSS - CSS

Ignore the pop that gets circlejerked here. 95% of it is shit

Kylie Minogue - Fever
Madonna - Ray of Light
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Beyoncé - BEYONCÉ
2NE1 - Crush
Kate Bush - Never for Ever or Hounds of Love
Björk - Post
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814
Grimes - ArtAngels

Carly's previous album is pretty damn good except for the one track that features the biebs.

Thanks for suggestions, but Emotion seems to be 'circlejerked' on here (why I mentioned it) , its not shit is it?

can't go wrong with michael jackson

Teenage Dream

This, not even memeing.

• Taylor Swift - Red, Speak Now (you can check her other albums too but they are more country).

• Lorde - Pure Heroine
• Charli XCX - Sucker
• Shura - Nothing's Real
• AlunaGeorge - Body Music, I Remember
• Elli Goulding - Halcyon Days, Delirium
• Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
• Lady Gaga - The Fame, The Fame Monster
• Florrie - Introduction, Experiments
• Grimes - ArtAngels

For Taylor I'd really recommend Fearless. It is more country, but it's country pop.

All of Janelle Monae's stuff is great.

For Madonna I'd also rec Confessions on a Dancefloor.

Did you grow up in the 90s? The Spice Girls greatest hits is awesome, especially if you have that nostalgia of hearing it growing up.

this thread made me vomit

Awesome :)

Michael Jackson if you're looking for the best pop out there.
I really recommend Big Star and The Cars, they're more guitar oriented pop music, but I still think you're going to enjoy them.

No, Michael Jackson's stuff is too overblown and fussy. Also, it's not fun to listen to now we know that he blew his riches repeatedly paying hush money to the parents of kids he'd raped.

I know pop is a broad term but how can one genre contain class acts like Bjork, Kate Bush and Grimes as well as utter shite like Kylie, Madonna, Gaga and the rest? I'm not trying to insult anyone, I know it's personal taste but why isn't there a precise term for pop music that is more intelligent than the factory artists

In the zone - Britney Spears

Find a way and a reason to enjoy it, honestly. The way I do it:

- Go to work
- Radio which I have no control over is playing
- Hear a good song
- On break (or when there's no dick bosses around), look up the lyrics I remember
- Find song name, artist, etc. Go home and plug that in to Spotify
- If the album is good, I'll buy the CD for my car

It's really tiring to dig for gold with pop music as so much of it is "engineered" to sound as appealing as possible, if that makes sense. So I'd recommend running it through the "if it sticks in my head and I find myself going back to play it again" test before picking up more albums. Or you'll have 100 albums you'll never listen to again in no time.

Personal recommendations:
- the previous CRJ album, Kiss ()
-Elle Goulding - Halcyon Days
- Katy Perry - Prism
- Lady Gaga - The Fame (Poker Face was the song that got me in to picking up cheap pop albums honestly)
- Sia - This is Acting
- Rihanna - Loud

They are all pretty big names but this isn't /metal/ and I'm not trying to find the most obscure, kvlt albums for you.

Every Girls Aloud album

Come and get it - Rachel Stevens

Many people label Bjork and Kate as "art pop".

Anniemal is possibly my favorite pop album

Justin Timberlake - 20/20 Experience

People, as said, use 'art pop', but really, you should have to use your discernment, as with any genre.

>utter shite
>kylie
>madonna
>gaga

Someone's underage

Yeah - you, for needlessly being an asshole.

Of course, the secret answer is that almost everything discussed here is pop. If it has song structures, it's pop, by definition.

How am I being an asshole? You (I assume) are the one being an asshole to kylie, madonna and lady gaga by saying they're utter shite because you're still in the "manufactured pop music is garbage" phase

>by definition
>as defined by classical music critics with fragile egos

Here's the secret about pop music. 'Pop' music - despite the way people colloquially talk about it - isn't actually a musical genre. It's a status distinction - literally whatever happens to be popular at a given moment is 'pop' music.

Now, since the ultimate determining factor of what counts as 'pop' is general trends in popular music tastes, all the music defined as 'pop' in any given time frame does tend to share common musical genre elements. But whatever definable genre those elements might constitute usually doesn't get properly codified until decades later (once those sounds have been phased out of the current definition for 'pop' music.)

The one with the fragile ego is you, who assumed I was making a negative value judgment when I'm just stating a fact.

So a song like Panda by Desiigner (youtu.be/E5ONTXHS2mM) is pop music but a song like Left Too Late (youtu.be/l5D-bWGK0l0) by Florrie isn't?

Occult pop makes me hard

I'm fucking retarded

Suddenly thinking of Handbanana.

This isn't true. AC/DC and Def Leppard were once really popular. That doesn't make them pop music. Pop music is usually identified as being softer than mainstream rock (not having prominent guitar work in it, not having rougher vocals, more personalized lyrical content, etc.) Pop is it's own genre. Of course it can be mixed with other genres, but that's beside the point.

If you don't understand the point user is making, you're clearly underage, please leave the board.

His point is that pop music isn't really a genre but rather any form of music that has been or is really popular. This isn't true.

It is true.

see

I read that, it's wrong. On two fronts. One, all popular music is pop. Rock is a subcategory of popular music, ergo a subcategory of pop. Two, popular music is popular music. Bob Dylan gets this, why can't you?

A prominent distorted guitar and pounding drum beats aren't found in pop. Try again.

The difference between pop and rock is that pop music is pop that knows it's pop, and rock is pop that either doesn't know or pretends not to.

Some great recs on this thread, thanks all.

If what you say is true then 90% of music is pop. The term "pop" may stem from "popular" but it doesn't mean the same thing it meant when it was coined.

>This isn't true.
It is true - hence why no one can ever agree upon what actually constitutes pop music in a strictly musical sense (since those elements are always changing) and also why people keep having to create proper genre names for past eras of pop music whenever the current music trends shift dramatically enough to highlight that they are no longer very musically related.

.38 Special and Pantera both belong somewhere under the rock genre. The former can easily be classified as pop as well. Can Pantera?

How old are you, seriously?

youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM
youtube.com/watch?v=X9YMU0WeBwU

>If what you say is true then 90% of music is pop.
Yes - 90% of the music THAT YOU HEAR ABOUT on a daily basis is popular music - by definition. But there is far more music being produced every single day than any one person could ever listen to.

No, I wouldn't say that 90% of all the music ever composed was popular. 90% of the music we've ever heard is, I can well imagine.

lmao yeah that drum beat sure does get my heart racing. You're funny, kid.

And that Lady Gaga song isn't pop.

Oh, you're gonna play that game. Just forget I said anything, nigger.

seconding this

JT in general is pretty based, I liked the 20/20 experience

What, be consistent with the argument you were fucking arguing with? Yes, I will play that game, that game of remembering what I fucking said five minutes earlier, dipshit.

So, fast beats are rock, not pop, I see. You're wrong.

Lady Gaga is a pop artist, the song was not only popular but follows a pop music structure, it was bought by pop customers - anyway we cut it, you're wrong.