Can we have a Minimalism thread?

Rec some cool minimalist pieces. Discuss your favorite composers. Pitchfork just gave Julius Eastman BNM, did he deserve it? Does anyone like Charlemagne Palestine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_9lB-3lNXJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=LMX6M-vHJeE
youtube.com/watch?v=yX8INShBSGY
youtu.be/oO4Ep3zxMzo
youtu.be/iwEmDhsaoU8
youtube.com/watch?v=TaHqmzCKwBg
youtu.be/l5uZQUqv80E
youtu.be/pc8wtfS1-kk
youtube.com/watch?v=fiaTvR9sFX8
youtube.com/watch?v=slaixLikE2o
youtube.com/watch?v=hNiJHsbhlXo
youtube.com/watch?v=gRr8IJZbldc
youtube.com/watch?v=oZLiYQv6zow
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really like minimalism but right now I've only been into the composers literally everyone knows (mainly Philip Glass and Terry Riley). They are amazing though.

Go into Steve Reich asap:
Music For 18 Musicians is awesome.

Other recs:
Music for a Large Ensemble/Violin Phrase/Octet (1980)
Works (1996)

oh right I should have said Steve Reich as well, I have heard all of those.

I've also listened to some La Monte Young, and Morton Feldman although I'm not sure if he is technically minimalism.

Boris- Flood of coursh

youtube.com/watch?v=_9lB-3lNXJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=LMX6M-vHJeE
youtube.com/watch?v=yX8INShBSGY

The Lost Jockey only released 1 Ep & 1 LP in 1982.
youtu.be/oO4Ep3zxMzo
youtu.be/iwEmDhsaoU8
>The Lost Jockey, named after a painting by René Magritte, were a minimalist ensemble formed circa 1981 by Andrew Poppy, John Wesley-Barker and Orlando Gough. They were signed to the Brussel's based Factory offshoot Les Disques Du Crépuscule. Andrew Poppy went on to record under his own name with the ZTT label. He contributed orchestral arrangements to Force The Hand of Chance, the first album by the group Psychic TV which was released on WEA Records in 1982. Poppy's subsequent arrangements have appeared on records by groups such as Coil, Erasure, The The, The House of Love, Strawberry Switchblade and Nitzer Ebb.

Have you listened to any of John Adams stuff? He has some good pieces.

No, what would you recommend?

Phrygian Gates is good

The Lost Jockey also self-released a tape in 1983. This track from it towers far above everything else they did, and if you're at all like me it will change your life:

youtube.com/watch?v=TaHqmzCKwBg

I have only listened to Become Ocean but it didn't impressed that much desu. I should give it another try

Like 20 seconds in and this is already amazing

Yo it just gets better

i wasn't aware of this cassette, thx! it's pretty great indeed.
The arrangement reminds me of 'Paddy McAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz' (with more fluff tho)
youtu.be/l5uZQUqv80E
youtu.be/pc8wtfS1-kk

A few further recommendations while I'm at it:

Reich's Tehillim seems to get less attention than some of his other works, but it's probably my favorite piece of his. I'd recommend tracking down the original ECM recording, but this one is great too: youtube.com/watch?v=fiaTvR9sFX8

Philip Glass himself thinks his early piece Music With Changing Parts is too "spacy", but that's exactly what makes it so great: youtube.com/watch?v=slaixLikE2o

Roberto Cacciapaglia's Sei Note in Logica is primo Italian Reich/Glass worship which distinguishes itself by dropping a computerized synth on top of the shit. INCREDIBLE:
youtube.com/watch?v=hNiJHsbhlXo

holy shit I never knew Andrew Bird did something like this, thank you.

Boris and Actress are drone, there is a difference

>holy shit I never knew Andrew Bird did something like this, thank you.
I know. When I first listened to it I couldn't believe he was not doing his chamber pop thing. I was happy he finally decided to experiment like this and I loved the result. there's a cool backstory behind it as well.

>youtube.com/watch?v=TaHqmzCKwBg
this let me down honestly.

>actress
>drone
yeah no

well it sure as hell isn't minimalism

go on

Does any of Henry Flynt's stuff count as minimalism?

never thought i'd see the lost jockey posted on Cred Forums. p gud taste user.

oh wow good one, if we're resorting to wikipedia genre tags here

Time belongs in this thread just as much as any other track here

minimal techno =/= minimalism

minimalism is a form of classical/art music

Philip Glass, Terry Riley, Steve Reich, they are all composers. Actress is a popular music artist.

go back to /bleep/ pls

weak
if you listened to the track you'd find it has all the components of minimalism, you're stretching for a reason to exclude it

minimalism is not restricted to you're classical definition of composers, and to exclude actress because he makes house music, experimental or not, is irrelevant to the fact I posted a track he made which is clearly minimalism

Piero Milesi - Modi
Early 80s Italian minimalism, features a harpsichord. Enough said:
youtube.com/watch?v=gRr8IJZbldc

OP here. There's nothing wrong with actress, but that's not really what I had in mind with the post. I was talking about classical music as has explained.

pls no fight

na
youtube.com/watch?v=oZLiYQv6zow

that's fair then
i'll be quiet

just for the record I think Ghettoville is a fantastic album, I've listened to it many times, but that's not the kind of music meant for this thread I think.

bump

another bump

is there like a collection of essential listening for late 1900s minimalist composers? usually I only see the obvious ones like glass and reich

I'm not super familiar with the style desu. I know riley, adams, eastman, and a handful of others whose names escape me. A chart would be super helpful.

bumpalump