/prod/ Production General - Techno Revival Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>LUNGA
clyp.it/5mmq5gsu

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=csWlxhzjt2E
clyp.it/s0nrouzk
clyp.it/y4vi3miu
youtube.com/watch?v=F7uRCEJHZMw&list=PLLrz3VWwGXoNXlGx6xoggnGU7BxEitgmB&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=_tqa-US5VNY
clyp.it/bosr3rrc
youtube.com/watch?v=PItmtOKhH8E
clyp.it/m3zqg0iz
clyp.it/wctcllfh
clyp.it/u2f4gl5m
clyp.it/1lieuxsq
youtube.com/watch?v=4lhXeTGMo2c
youtube.com/watch?v=o5Z__dJBmbo
amazon.com/Decksandrumsandrockandroll-Propellerheads/dp/B000006BZ5
clyp.it/oy35xhww
clyp.it/w0wjkaow
clyp.it/uw0jrbhp
clyp.it/oljscwhv
clyp.it/h2ofeya3
sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i4G2
amazon.ca/Steinberg-Advanced-USB-Studio-Interface/dp/B003WI3LNU
sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII
youtube.com/watch?v=QXmz_AphfGs
clyp.it/inzmy1o2
clyp.it/efzdhvfp
clyp.it/h3gdjp0i
clyp.it/v1wclld2
clyp.it/jpgemgwq
clyp.it/indiaymx
youtube.com/watch?v=tCyGtFEXrFo
youtube.com/watch?v=g6UO35feIfs
youtube.com/watch?v=VotISSj1GS4
youtube.com/watch?v=x51rgzYv-Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=47dr_SWEAEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So I want to get into hardware, just recently got into production and using a DAW and a MIDI controller just feels... boring and limiting. I have an MS20 and I'm planning on buying the Volca kick next month, and probably another Volca not sure which. How do I implement all of these into a setup . Obviously I'll need an interface but that seems too easy, just an interface. There has to be more to it than that

and also, if I record in session while messing with gear does it record automation?

youtube.com/watch?v=csWlxhzjt2E

depends on the gear, the ms20 isn't able to automate parameters you would have to record the audio in as your tweaking it live. if you only want an interface make sure its got enough inputs for all your gear otherwise a mixer would be a sound investment. you'll also need a sequencer of some kind, daw or otherwise

How do I make an album that sounds like pic related? What do I listen to in order to get similar inspiration?

you don't

stop trying to copy others

How do I make an album that sounds like pic related? What do I listen to in order to get similar inspiration?

is there any way i could sort a folder full of ableton projects by bpm (besides manually opening each project and checking the tempo)?

>roland re-releasing/re-making all these great and useful analogue & pseudo-analogue synths and drum machines

>fucking none of them have CV/Gate

utterly useless for working with actual analogue synths. not buying any of them

With drum machines or other devices with onboard sequencers, you just want to make sure they are in sync. You can do that via midi clock, just have your DAW send out midi clock/sync to all of them.

Most devices now have midi over usb (if not you will need a midi interface), but all you need beyond that is an audio interface. If you can afford it, one with enough channels to record multiple individual devices at once.

You should be able to record audio/midi automation however you want in your DAW.
For me, on synths without sequencers (eg your ms20), i tend to send midi note data from ableton, then record audio of the synth while tweaking knobs. I only record multiple automation paths on my hardware synths if i'm trying to do something specific.

tr-09 has trigger out
tb-03 has trigger in and CV/Gate out

so not completely useless

Has anyone made anything decent on soundation? I own ableton and won't be changing, just thought I'd ask because I'm curious.

>tfw new 1tb hdd
haha time to pirate all vsts

lol

is techno revival a thing? tell me more.

techno has never died

still waiting for mpc 2.0

does anyone actually own any of the roland boutique synths? specifically the Jupiter and Juno remake.

wondering if they're worth it

>using a DAW and a MIDI controller just feels... boring and limiting

it's cool and all if you want to use hardware but never say this again

lol this it's literally just samples user- learn what you're doing and come back to that style

save your projects of equal bpm in the same folder ..............

yes but everyone thinks house is techno :^)

i actually listen to all you fuckers in these threads; it's actually kind of annoying when somebody labels as techno or "experimental" and it's literally just soundcloud core house ........

that what I taught.

fuck I know the feel, techno gets confused as much as emo.

NoT ALL BLEEPS ARE TECHNO.

I need a drum machine, help me pick; are aira tr 8? roland boutique tr 9?

>not all bleeps are techno

except they are. Fucking microgenres electro fags

>IT'S NOT DRUM AND BASS IT'S JUNGLE
>IT'S NOT TECHNO IT'S DUB
>IT'S NOT HOUSE IT'S TECHNO

FUCK OFFFFF

Anyone here have Native Instruments? Might shell out the cash for it

aira tr 8 is garbage
tr 09 is better, but there are clones out there that would probably be more worth the money

native instruments what?

here's your reply go bait somewhere else

i'm on komplete 10... absolutely worth it imo, but i got it for like 150 through a secondhand upgrade path

i regret being such a jew and taking forever to actually move on to paid vsts lol, now i just want more shit

>yes but everyone thinks house is techno :^)

House is EDM

Should I get the volca bass or keys, is the arturia microbrute a good investment.

Has anyone here even posted a clyp yet?

>clyp.it/s0nrouzk

General feedback is appreciated.

>i'm on komplete 10... absolutely worth it imo, but i got it for like 150 through a secondhand upgrade path
>i regret being such a jew and taking forever to actually move on to paid vsts lol, now i just want more shit

I have trouble buying sample packs lol...hardware takes me months of research.

Roland

>Anyone here have Native Instruments
Yes. I also have Korg

faders on tr-8 are great for performance, multiple good sounding kits. it is pretty big tho

tr-9 sounds more authentic, swings are great and takes up less space

i'm thinking about the tr-9 tbqh

so is there anything really better than the microkorg for the price range
all I have keyboard wise is a circuit bent sk-1 at the moment

I used the tr8 for my second album...it was actually worth it.

they're ok sometimes

hope you produced it well, cos aira sounds like shit

clyp.it/y4vi3miu
thoughts?
made a beat for a soundcloud singer lady

why is the tr8 garbage?

lol i've never bought a sample pack... any stick out to you as especially worth it?

i mean do your research obvs, but if you're looking to experiment a lot, reaktor especially along with everything else has got you covered

>lol i've never bought a sample pack... any stick out to you as especially worth it?

Not really, but I did get a bass guitar pack for like $20 that was good.

it's the only aira thing I own - and yes it was very well produced, thanks m8.

aaron is that you?

No - though I do know an Aaron who's also a producer lol. Probs not the same Aaron though, I don't know.

>lol i've never bought a sample pack... any stick out to you as especially worth it?

There's so much free stuff out there, I don't know why you ever would.

o, meh i already play bass

that sux, the only drum samples i use are from ni but they definitely have a "sound" to them

How do I make music like this?

copy a classic band that everybody loves and sing about how lonely you are without adding anything unique to a well established genre

some really good sample source finds and an octatrack

what genre is this even

what?

oh shit that's a real album

i thought you were posting something you made in ms paint/ a random stock image and making fun of the people asking how to produce like somebody else

mb idk

same to be honest family

lol the title is in the filename ya dingus

it sounds fake

or like the name of a stock photo
>packshot
could be, like, package shot? as in a shot (photograph) of some packaging
>incolour
describes the fact that the photograph is in colour

I could totally see that being some graphic design stock photo of product packaging from the 70s

I recently get a keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 61,pic related) and it came with a software called Ignite.
The software has some very nice sounds, with a lot of pianos, strings, basses, guitars, and a lot of nice shit.
The thing is, that it does not have a VST plugin so can use it with my DAW.
So... Is there a good VST alternative?

>[1]

lol it looks very fake

How have you not seen this?
I haven't heard it myself but the cover is pretty recognizable.

it's part of the x

>VST alternative
alternative to.... what?

there are like a million vsts, just google what you want +vst

there are a lot of good kontakt libraries if that's what you're looking for

nope and i feel like a dick now lol

what kind of music is it? i don't lurk much honestly

wait does it sound like xx?

they had some nice songs but pretty meh to me

Yup, but i do not want hundres of gigs of sounds.
I was thinking of something like Nexus.
Is Nexus okay?

I cant seem to find a good sax vst, heeeeeelp

what? what do you want, dude
do you want a virtual synthesizer? or just like, preset sounds that mimic acoustic instruments

nexus is a synthesizer
>gbs

if you want a good sample library sorry lol

go research some of this stuff and come back

Preset sounds that mimic acoustic instruments

its the producer/synth player from the xx

p good

mix engineering is top notch

youtube.com/watch?v=F7uRCEJHZMw&list=PLLrz3VWwGXoNXlGx6xoggnGU7BxEitgmB&index=1

Jamie XX part of the X that's his album In Colour. Romy the singer/ guitarist of the X sang his song Loud Places

any suggestion for clones?

the micro brute is lovely, sounds great very hands on, patch bay for interesting lfo action and modular connectivity.

Out of all 7 (?) I just want the vocoder. This world is lacking in string machines and knobby vocoders.

The TB-03 looks neat, but I really don't need that specific sound.

The polys have too few voices for something digital.

>This world is lacking in string machines

STREICHFETT
S T R E I C H F E T T

I just want an old and cheap electric organ

They're so relaxing to play

Count Basie's Big Band

What part of what country do you live in? Craigslist is good for most places in the US.
That gets the Eminent 310U vibe, but without a vocoder, it's no VP-330.

The sampling ability on the sequencer and chord memory seems pretty great
youtube.com/watch?v=_tqa-US5VNY

>rhythmic vocoder
fuck yeah

>go into guitar center debating on buying an Alesis VI49 and a Akai MK2 Mini
>See a refurbished MPK249 for sale for $250
>If I put the money down I'll be able to pick it up in 3 weeks after the police are done
>I'm able to cancel any time and get my money back

I did it /prod/ did I fuck up? I'll be able to pick it up on the 9th. It was $320 in total cause I got a 3 year warranty.

>after the police are done
what?

did alex jones show up @ 1:30?

Lol forgot to mention it's used because it's on police hold. They're determining whether or not it's stolen and their investigation ends on the 9th, if it's not determined to be stolen by then I can go pick it up.

>warranty
udonegoofed

Is anyone here autistic enough to use sonic charge cyclone?

Depends on where you live, but where I am you can get them for free

nigga i aint even autistic enough to use pure data

why?

>all these meme keyboards
You fucked up

Guitar Center asks to sell you a warranty for anything you buy. It's a sales pitch.

But isn't it a good idea?

Yes, it is.

t. Guitar Center sales tech

What would be your recommendation for a good 49 key MIDI controller?

Anything that has weighted keys, two mod wheels, possibly USB powered.
Just don't buy these all in one controllers, its better to buy these things seperately DESU.

JUST GRAB AND SAMPLE CHIPTUNE SHIT AND PUT SOME OVERDRIVE TO IT DUDE.
ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED? DEATH GRIPS IS FOR FUCKING KIDS YO.
SHIT SO CRINGE.

>Anything that has weighted keys, two mod wheels, possibly USB powered.

So why are the MPK249 and the VI49 "meme keyboards"

clyp.it/bosr3rrc

i like it, but it feels small (can't think of a better word). try some more reverb, better drum samples

this is good

Which synths should I acquire to emulate early Visage sound?

This isn't wrong.

But not all EDM is house.

anything from that era is going to be way above your pay grade

>tr-9 sounds more authentic
No. No it fucking doesn't. It's the same shit dude.

Because of the shit that is slapped on them.
And look at the mod wheel placement on the MPK.
>faders XD
>knobs XD
>pads XD

what about VSTs?

I want a drum machine but don't want to spend a lot of money. It wouldn't really be a huge part of my setup, I just need something to provide drums since I do everything else but can't play/don't have room for a drum set.

Right now I have an Alesis sr 16 but I just feel like I have 0 attachment to it and would much prefer something with a hardware step sequencer anyway.

Has anyone tried out the Rhythm Wolf or Tom Cat? They look ok but they seem to be getting a lot of bad reviews.

youtube.com/watch?v=PItmtOKhH8E

Korg ER-1

I guess he killed himself, huh?

I doubt it, but if you have evidence, post it

does anyone else using ableton sometimes get the weird feeling that the Ctrl+Drag for copying scenes and samples doesn't always work?

No, just a guess

bump

bubmb

The sr-16 is pretty dope, just add an eq and reverb. It was my first drum machine and still keep it, wrote a bunch of songs with that drum machine and a bass guitar.
But if you're looking for somethin more "electronic" sounding go for a ER1, the tr8 gets some hate here but I dig it. Be careful to not fall for the "analog is better" meme, a shitty mc-303 is a better drum machine than a volca beats or those akai you mentioned
Also, whatever you get, make shure It has midi in-out since you will probably end up using it as a master clock for your whole rig

You can literally recreate those synth lines with a cheap microkorg and/or any other VA synth. I think theres even a cover on yt using volcas.
Now the production on that song is another story

>been finishing track after track this month, probably gonna fail some classes but wgaf

Oh my god what is the point of these pieces of shit

my only guess is Roland wants to milk its legacy as long as possible before finally having to provide actual analog remakes.
they realize that if they actually give people what they want (an analog fucking drum machine) then they will have blown their load too early and nobody will be suckered in by VA crap like this

Anyone here used the step sequencer from the launchpad95 in a live setting?
Just got a LP for nickels and been playing around with that script, seems nice but dont know how stable it is, dont want my clips to go berserk during a perforance

next they'll make a TR-009 with sampled drums but an analog copy of the vca or some shit

You forgot
>tiny knobs

Only retards will buy this
Sad part is that the jd-xi had potential if they just removed the keyboard and added a MC-style step sequencer (and more parts), but hey, it's Roland, the kings of stupid decisions

BEST THING LIVE M8 - cannot perform without it. Very stable. Never have I had any problems. :)

gr8, might get rid of my old launch control, I like knobs but barely use it now, not a fan of the lightshow but the lp turned out way better than I expected. Now I just need to learn how to change the note leght in sequencer mode, been playing drum sets all weekends, but I suck at baselines
Thanks M8!

Is Ableton Push just overpriced launchpad dedicated to Ableton?

remember to keep it FUN

>implying

It has a screen that indicates what are you controlling and comes with a Live Suite license, thats why its more expensive.
I'm talking about the og 1st push, the Push 2 is awesome for audio and live sampling, would get one if I could afford it. The new simpler in 9.5+ is the shit

Seriously - I find it very unnecessary to have Push, when what the Push has, you can easily compensate otherwise.
Launchpad 95 is 10/10 value for sure. I even use it in studio.

how many things have you owned that actually fucked up in less than 3 years in a way that would be covered under warranty?

the real meme is the nonsensical hatred for all keyboards that have extra features besides just keys/mod wheels

... no?

keyboards are a meme

>what is the point of these pieces of shit

i can't wait for the 500 million shit tracks with a bit of obligatory acid thrown in

i bet none of these cunts can accent and slide properly

today i tried singing with autotune... its not as easy as you would think...
basically if you have a shitty broken voice it still jumps around a lot.

so yeah, anyone currently using this program? do you have any tip/tricks to get that smooth bladee/thaiboy/lil tracy kind of sound?

Cant remember the name (i'm at work now) but you have to turn down the knob thats right beside "humanize" and also select male voice in the top menu, I think its set to soprano by default
But if your voice is shit dont expect miracles

>humanize knob

kek

Retune Speed is the knob you should look for

any comments on the mix on this track?
clyp.it/m3zqg0iz

I'm really trying to improve on my mixing skills

I feel like the kick is a bit too loud, but everything else feels real nice. I like the swing on the drums but i'd probably pick new samples for those, just me though. maybe change your bassline around a bit or throw a filter on it and change it over time

spent a while last night trying to make something decent, gonna change the drum samples on this most likely but yeah this is what i've got
clyp.it/wctcllfh

any particular reason you didn't like the drums?

also, your beat is nice, maybe add some punch to the snare by stacking it with another snare or a clap.

reminds me of akira yamaoka, just happier

I sample mp3s sometimes

I sample youtube

I've legit sampled Game Grumps before

sometimes it doesn't snap to the grid and then one track is slightly off time and it's literally impossible to fix and you zoom in the farthest you can go to fix it but it's never perfecti and it makes me so >:(

rt is there any way to sample youtube that doesn't give you mp3s?

i sample random shit from their a lot but i always feel dirty using mp3s...

clyp.it/u2f4gl5m

general feedback would be appreciated, a bit stuck on where to go from here. the guitar is a placeholder, I like the chord progression but not the picking pattern

Can someone explain where that button is ? is it talking about the show and hide button from the view menu?

Just record the sound with audacity, then export in mp2 ::+))

it's the button that's highlighted in the image

and by highlighted I mean there's a black square around it

Oh fuck I didn't see that thanks man

>ableton users

well yeah, someone who's clearly just started, and someone who knew how to help them. what's your point sir or madam?

a few of them sounded a little generic i guess, esp the open hat sound

>clyp.it/u2f4gl5m
the textures here are really nice, reminds me of something i've heard before that i can't place right now. no complaints really

What's a good portable recorder for recording a liveset or studio rehearsal under $200? long story short I need to pick out prizes for a battle of the bands at my college and I need want a good third place prize that isn't only half the recording setup.

I'd like to get into modular synthesizers, what's an entry level way to get into them?

caustic app modular

that's like $10,000 worth of equipment, I'm glad it got put to good use

tfw recording bass for a song, being lazy and making Cred Forums charts with 144 layers and playing minecraft all evening

softube modular

What do you guys think of old hardware samplers like the ASR-10/SP-1200 etc etc?

Is there really something special about the converters that makes it worth it?

my oxygen 49 had a few keys stop working like a year after i bought it

when I think of special converters, I think of shitty old 12-bit DACs that aren't really emulated, or I think of high quality converters from things like Fairlight CMIs and Kyma Capybaras that are a bit dated, but still high quality.

start with a case and one oscillator module... that will open a treasure chest of knowledge for you.

i bet you've never even lived in chicago or detroit when the 303 was relevant

With very little understanding of music theory and minimal experience with FL Studio, I managed to shit out my first song.

clyp.it/1lieuxsq

>when someone on gearslutz talks about the hardware version being better than the software and someone then posts two audio clips and asks them to guess which is which

very funny to watch them squirm

i cant stand the faggots who post there and kvr

>implying people use hardware because it sounds better

Well it does often, but I'm talking about recent stuff that claims to emulate extremely close like Diva and it triggers buyers remorse in the old fogies

youtube.com/watch?v=4lhXeTGMo2c

digital vs analog difference is real

i wouldn't trust today's roland to pull off an emulation

>like Diva
you had a solid argument, and totally lost there

>trigger buyer's remorse

who would anyone get remorseful from a point and click interface?

also
>Diva
kek

he means hardware buyers regret buying when diva supposedly comes close to hardware

i dont even know if its true about hadrware vs digital i just do this shit for a hobyy

you've never used good hardware synths before, have you?

no i wish i could afford to have

>Diva isn't an accurate representation of the various incorporated modules
Nah. kys hobbyists

not everyone is loaded m8

>hobbyists
that's a great way to circumvent a real argument

diva has neat modules, but it's a jack of all trades, master of none. it doesn't specifically emulate an existing synth, so attempting to make it do so doesn't get you as close as say a dedicated clone could

I want to go out and record some metallic sounds from construction equipment.

Should I get an XLR shotgun mic and DR-40 or start with a 3.5mm line in to a cheaper recorder like the H1/Dr-05?

just buy an fm synth

>it doesn't specifically emulate an existing synth
...except for the 8 or so synths it comes with preset templates for

>that's a great way to circumvent a real argument
>guy points to diva, which is
>token hobbyists who haven't made a dime off of music but have spent 1000s on hardware come out of the woodwork and decry it
>"heh, bet you haven't used THIS though" (*points to archaic and rare analogue synth that he lacks the technical skill to make anything other than fart noises with*)

the reason people scramble to defend analogue is because they are in fact defending their own lack of ability. when you remove the price block and "i need this hardware synth before i can REALLY make music" excuse, people are forced to face the fact that they just suck. that's why you get replies like "kek" (nice meme!)

>*which is one of the most well-made VA softsynths available today

>the fact that they just suck
i know this feel too well

Plenty of synths have presets that emulate existing synths. Did you know the DX7 has "analog" patches? They sound like shitty DX7 patches too.

>the whole rest of your post
lmao, are you trying to discredit yourself?
>HURRRRRR MUH ANAL LOG BOOGY MAN

holy shit, just stop before you make diva look worse

you should be arguing for nexus or some other trash plugin

I am not really interested in creating sounds I just want to record them.

was just going for a laugh, fm is known for being mega metallic
do u definitely want to record your own sounds? there's plenty of ample packs of exactly what yr recording out there

>Plenty of synths have presets that emulate existing synths.
have you used diva? probably not. infact, you probably know nothing about sound design at all and do it as a hobby. if hardware didn't exist you would quit because you wouldn't have anything "cool" to show people and base your self worth off. BLNT.

>ugh. i have no argument. i'm going to refer to "good hardware synths" () but i'll never name any because i don't know what i'm fucking talking about

I like Arturia Minimoog V.

I've made albums upon albums of stuff with only software synths and samples and I still think analogue sounds better. I jut don't have the money to get any

>you probably know nothing about sound design at all and do it as a hobby. if hardware didn't exist you would quit because you wouldn't have anything "cool" to show people and base your self worth off. BLNT.
Holy shit dude, just stop. Your argument is completely incoherent and based off of calling other people bad at things. Nobody is basing thier self-worth off of a synthesizer. You just suck at arguing.

>you probably know nothing about sound design at all and do it as a hobby

shit argument desu

I never referred to "good hardware synths"
maybe you should sit back, take a couple of chill pills, and form your arguments based off of diva, and not strawman fallacies

>ugh. i have no argument.

you not ever using hardware synths means you can't even comprehend what makes them good, hence you just talking about "le sounds close enough to me"

I have used Diva. It's nice, but way too bulky, and is neat for Juno type sounds. Sucks for minimoog sounds though.

Sorry about the rest of your post though.

There's a number construction sites with easy access near me and I'm tired of sample packs, I want something a bit more personal to work with.

that guy was me who said he never used a good hardware synth and youve been having an autistic tantrum with some other user

that was actually my second post itt but whateves

and how much time have you actually spent sitting down and LEARNING sound design, software or hardware, instead of just churning out what first comes to mind. when you get actually good with software you'll realize how dumb the people chasing hardware are.

>Holy shit dude, just stop
you seem pretty stupid. did you run out of things to say already?

that can only be assumed desu ka, seeing as no 'analogue pro' has yet named these legendary hardware synths (that they don't even own) which are so much better and so out of the realm of VA scrubs. ""kek""

my arguments are based off of diva. are you telling me that these templates pictured are not accurate representations of the hardware synths they refer to, in any measure at all, and that using it is "kek"? better just sit around waiting until i have the $10000 dollars i need to get the "good hardware synth"

actually, i like and use hardware (e.g. black and gold shared system), but seeing someone refer to diva and retards posting "KEK, NOT *REAL* ANALOGUE" gets me mad, because they likely are hobbyists just doing it for fun and don't actually make money, you spent $10000 dollars on hardware and probably

How to emulate an analog synth in a vst:

1. Set Kbd track to pitch 99/101% or something
2. Broad boost of a few db around 100-250hz with a nice EQ
3. Add slight attack with SPL transient designer

>looks like a minimoog
>yeah, kinda sounds like a minimoog

just wait until you actually play a real minimoog

>that can only be assumed desu
i think your argument is shit because you act like you need to make money from music or you have no skill

>kek
you were the only one who mentioned this
and yes, I'm telling you that a template may not be accurate at all. remember all those home organs that have the synth with presets like flute and trombone? same thing here, they're made to approximate.

I'm sorry if I shattered your reality, but nearly every synth has done this, even before plugins.

>use hardware (e.g. black and gold shared system)
timestamp and clypit faggot

>you seem pretty stupid. did you run out of things to say already?
Nah man. I'm just pointing out that you're only capable of calling people stupid or that they don't have skill. You're only making yourself look bad.

Nobody cares how right you think you are, to everyone else ITT, you look like an autistic moron.

>to everyone else ITT, you look like an autistic moron.
lurker here

agree

>implying Divanon isn't just an NI employee trying to make U-He look bad

not that guy but template in diva means that it has modeled the oscillators/filters/amp/envs individually for mix and match and a template just means the correct modules for each synth matched up

it's not a preset tweaked to sound like a synth they modelled the components

holy shit, this is the first pro Diva post that wasn't just a spergfest

thanks for the actual info, and not just petty insults

i believe this can be true especially with komplete 11 just came out

please

youtube.com/watch?v=o5Z__dJBmbo

>you were the only one who mentioned this
>remember all those home organs that have the synth with presets like flute and trombone? same thing here, they're made to approximate
you're proving you haven't used diva again, but obviously. it is an emulation, not a 1 for 1 copy of the hardware. the matter of fact is reactions like "kek" are what keep people in the mindset of chasing after the "better synth", never accomplishing anything with what they already have

still, i'm the only person who's named some hardware so far, sad desu.

give me a clypit of your legendary "good hardware"

>I'm just pointing out that you're only capable of calling people stupid or that they don't have skill.
as opposed to what? calling diva shit for no reason? like some sperge here has the fucking data printouts and is going to prove that the virtual fluctuations in diva are not "true random" like analogue or some shit. i just think it's funny people even discuss synths in this way when they have no real reason to. honestly, it's almost like anti-diva shills invaded the thread

>You're only making yourself look bad.
? as if this matters when we're anonymous

I'm never going to try to play a classic Minimoog.

>still, i'm the only person who's named some hardware so far
That's because you're the only one who uses hardware as a measure of self worth

I have an MS-20 mini right next to me and I'm comparing it with the MS-20 rev1 emulation in diva and it sounds EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME

>give me a clypit of your legendary "good hardware"
kek, proven to never have used hardware, let alone make noise eurorack system

>as if this matters when we're anonymous
Simply pointing out that arguing in your style isn't going to get you anywhere. Maybe take a less hostile and more evidence based approach.

this is a start, but the video is pretty shit, can't see what is going on, if the patches are the same, camera is worse than liveleak, and his sound design ability is called into question because he's a nobody. if you were trying to prove diva isn't accurate this is also working against you because he says "Anyway diva is the closest I have ever heard a soft synth come to a real analog unit. It's not 100 percent, but damn close. Enjoy."
certainly nothing to be kekked at while you covet hardware you can't afford anyway. i think you just quickly googled something to try have an argument but it didn't work

as opposed to the people in here who shit on diva and other VA as a measure of self worth

kek, proven to not be able to even begin to contemplate buying anything by makenoise, and not understanding that i am referring to . since that post nobody has named hardware but me.

what's the evidence? pirate and use diva for yourself.

Just because you keep saying I haven't used Diva, doesn't mean I haven't. But I see you even agree with me, it's not a 1 to 1 copy. All I'm trying to say.

It's good enough. Not 1 to 1.

You need to drop your fixation on kek. This is Cred Forums. You're not going to avoid it.

>pirate and use diva for yourself.
I have. That's not what I'm getting at. I'm saying if you want to convince people who haven't used Diva, provide something other than calling them petty insults.

Is it really that hard to be an adult about it?

>he's a nobody
jesus christ mate ur a fucking nobody too get your head out of ur ass unless you're fucking opn or burial or something

>as opposed to the people in here who shit on diva and other VA as a measure of self worth
You're the only one with that issue ITT. You keep bringing it up, so it's clearly a problem for you.

You still have a fixation with having hardware when others don't, acting like it somehow makes you superior.

Can someone be a bro and update me on the argument re Diva because TL;DR.

KEK

all you have to do is reply with a few words and this faggot writes a novella

user says "muh diva is just like real hardware synth", but user has never used real hardware synth. another user posts vid proving how far off diva is for juno emulation.

>It's good enough
apparently not for the people i originally replied to. i just want to stamp out their misinformed impression of it. is that so bad?

again, what can i provide? actually nobody has brought up a complaint about diva, just "kek" "proven to not have used """""good hardware""""""" and that it isn't "accurate"

a nobody who also thinks diva is good

i don't get it, did you people not read the comment chain entirely or something? why even fucking reply then faggot? does it really feel that good to have a voice in the conversation?

first guy: not me guy refers to diva: faggots emerge bashing diva, no real argument at all: , the rest is history.

i think you're fixated on the fact i own a bit of hardware. it's nothing to me, a privilege i can afford myself from making some decent cash off of producing. i started from nothing

Almost 0 progress made. There's like one pro-Diva post that isn't absolute cancer, and it's not made by the guy typing paragraphs of insults.

basically, mr. famous sound designer knows more than everyone else because everyone else only does this as a hobby and has G.A.S.

i'm not that guy but seriously i'm comparing it right now to the ms-20 and the only difference is the osc volume has more travel on diva to drive the filters more than the original

If you do the same settings with half the osc level on diva it's exactly the same, even when you crank the resonance and add modulation it's a mirror image

>i just want to stamp out their misinformed impression of it. is that so bad?
You should just let somebody else do it from now on. There's a high liklihood that they'd be far better at it than you.

>again, what can i provide?
Maybe comparison videos. Maybe an article or something somewhere that describes how they emulated everything.

Literally anything besides using strawman arguments. It's really not that hard to not sperg out at people.

Top Kek's .... thanks to others who updated me.

Neat. I have the iMS-20 app and it sounds pretty nice for being able to run on my first gen iPad.

I wish I could use the ESP with external audio though. That'd be fucking sick.

amazon.com/Decksandrumsandrockandroll-Propellerheads/dp/B000006BZ5
culture yourselves

Less words, more audio samples. No body cares about your opinion you self-centered twats. Post audio and let the observer decide which one they prefer most.

im the hero you need, but don't deserve right now. the dark knight

unfortunately, i don't know of such a thing. again, i doubt they've used diva, or they'd know it's perfectly fine and a very powerful VA emulator for various hardware synths. diva IS the proof.

>the fact i own a bit of hardware
>the fact

apparently everyone here owns hardware which shits on diva, is it so unimaginable that i own some too?

>thinks software is equally as good
yes :^)

why havent you shown proof yet

well I do
but I've been sitting this one out

hardware vs software is the most sophmoric debate that exists in audio production

hey man, that's not fair, that guy was an outlier in terms of not seeing shit that's right in front of his face

clyp.it/oy35xhww

diva vs hardware version

its only approximate settings and one of them is louder but still they sound the same

i dont own any hw synth which is replicatable in diva. is in a good position to compare them though.

you actually don't own any hardware synths at all tho

you havent shown any proof you even own a hardware synth at all and until you do you are a faggot

>Cred Forums memes alongside text that is wrong and uninformed
fitting

diva is like 8 hardware synths in 1.

feels like everything i try to make is shit and I should give up
clyp.it/w0wjkaow

why's it wrong

As someone who makes a living off production and sharing my music/touring - all I want to say is I think software and hardware are both equally as important. I would definitely say that I don't believe DIVA is a good standalone option. Having great hardware is really important if you want to be really serious about your production and music career. I think that it's really silly arguing over this because at end of the day what someone chooses to do or use doesn't affect our music and if they don't want to take our advice on board that's on them.

kek
how is it right?

How can I get bigger on soundcloud? I have like 150 followers and my last track which i posted 5 months ago got 300 or so plays and 25 likes. Do I just need to post more?

where are your rare lungas /prod/?

you need to pay for followers

wow, now that i think about it, you're right! literally every single hardware synth is just boosted in the low mids and slightly detuned! i'm gonna start doing this to my mix bus to get phat analogue mixes

works for boc

I don't want that, I want actual people who listen to my music and not just people from the soundcloud threads who give feedback just so i will give them feedback.

bra 80% of soundcloud users are shill accounts

clyp.it/uw0jrbhp

help me

Blend the bass in more? It sticks out and feels out of place. Less is more here

Any thoughts? Not sure what I'm trying to do with it but it's something I've been working on.

clyp.it/oljscwhv

my pride
clyp.it/h2ofeya3

>acid

I'm looking at a ton of synth/drummachine demos and I'm so fucking tired of acid music. I dont understand the appeal, it's just really annoying and generic to me.

>never been to a club with a 303 blasting

ok

Dunno if this is the right place to ask but I want to buy a cheap-ish audio interface to record my guitar and bass. Any recommendations?

just buy anything in the $100 price range and you should be fine

i use steinberg ur22 they go for like $150

i have had a cheap $50 interface lexicon alpha but i really didnt like it because it was very noisy like something was wrong with it

sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i4G2

or

amazon.ca/Steinberg-Advanced-USB-Studio-Interface/dp/B003WI3LNU

I said these, but actually the Steinberg ur22 looks pretty good, I didn't even know about it

Does anyone here have a volca fm? I love looking at clips of the DX7/TX81Z but I'm scared FM synth shit is too complicated.

>Steinberg ur22
sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII the ur22-mk2 is the one i meant to say

the original ur 22 has less features like no ipad connectivity if youre into that and the ur22 does not have 5v dc power adapter and is usb powered only

James is my husbando, you can't steal him from me

no idea either was even a thing

anyone ever use pic related?

i've been thinking about getting one to help with transitions, but don't know if the effects will sound gimmicky and repetitive if i use it a lot

Get fucked. I've gotten the warranty on three or four used items, and it never covered any repairs.

youtube.com/watch?v=QXmz_AphfGs

how do i get this good

fite me fgt

Holy shit. Reread that post. I was telling that user not to get the warranty.

*teleports behind you*
*pulls CP-70 out of my pocket and crushes you with it*
heh, nothin personal kid

>isn't it a good idea
>yes, it is

>t. guitar center sales tech
Now continue through the reply chain

Well start playing with a live band for a start

clyp.it/inzmy1o2

I think I've finally done it. I am justice now.

The other boutique series seemed better but these seem ok too

I'd only get the TR09 but even that seems kinda silly

Do you want XLR inputs? I use the Olympus LS12 but that doesn't have XLR. Just minijack in. But i've still recorded from a mixer before using that. The sound quality on that thing is great IMO. I think the Olympus is much better than the Zoom

i would get any of them if i wasnt broke right now i think physical gear is fun to use

I received these as a gift last year and have started using them more recently. I would like to save some of the loops I create and was wondering what the best program is for this. I assume Audacity? I know they don't really stand up to proper synths but I find them handy because I can use them while commuting.

clyp.it/efzdhvfp
is this still really terrible?

audacity or reaper works fine

Super disjointed and opaque. I'd say solid 2/10 because it would still play well in one of those gag birthday cards or a 1998 children's pc puzzle game.

clyp.it/h3gdjp0i

anything you would change to my edit?

I think this is pretty sweet. But it needs a lot more detail and attention to dynamics before it'll be truly awesome

i liked it user.

thanks m8s for the feedback :)

bring the hats in right away. Also bass is too loud

It's really not that much different from the original

someone goes on /p/ or is actually catsby

Hence why i used the word edit - instead of remix. I have a couple fairly known "edits" that aren't far from their original, but still just enough. I rarely do remixes or edits, just this is an older one that I'm playing heaps and thought it can't hurt. Sorry if I took your comment the wrong way, I know it's not much different from core. :) cheers

>tfw learning drums
>tfw breaks and patterns are making absolute complete sense when laid out in ableton

I feel like I can see the matrix now pertaining to programming patterns but holy fuck how long does it take until my feet stop being stupid. I fuck up almost all my kicks

Play some Rock Band on drums. That should straighten you out.

dont have any systems or access to any systems

Then prepare to spend a few years getting gud. There's really no other shortcuts. Practice erryday.

I liked this so much that I got out my guitar and butchered it by overdubbing plebby chords and melodies. I'm sure you'll think of something more clever to do with it, but I figured I'd post this since I already have it recorded. Try to pretend that my playing isn't slop while you listen:

clyp.it/v1wclld2

clyp.it/jpgemgwq

Been working on this for a few hours. Any thoughts?

Haven't mastered and is halfway done.

Cred Forums help.

I'm a mediocre(really bad) guitarist, I have a bass, but I can't sing and play at the same time, and I don't really know how to construct chords(or chord progression), but I do know how to make good melodies and stuff, by ear I guess. I just memorized the sound each fret does and create a rythim in my head and then I replay it on the guitar and bam there it is.

So, I tried creating a band with my friend but all he really wants to play is hardcore, on the bass, while I want to play 90s grunge/rap/post punk stuff, so we never really had a thing.

I'm trying to make stuff by myself now, mostly guitar+bass(+ drums maybe?) stuff.

Where should I begin? Do I need to learn chords stuff or should I just create a catchy riff and repeat it over and over with small variations?

Where can I get a virtual synthetizer? I'm trying to learn the piano using a virtual one, but while the sound is clean, when I record my guitar/voice using my computer/phone it sounds really bad because of the ambient sound.

Where can I get a good recorder?

Sorry for all the questions.

Who here uses vengeance samples?

I wanna kick your ass.

When I was a kid I was gifted a guitar and my parents were gamblers who wouldn't buy me a playstation so I spent my days playing along to rock music by ear and I could play anything just by imitation.

I saw a Herbie Hancock interview where he recommended keyboard players mess around and play music by ear before they started on theory.

Update, just finished working on it.

clyp.it/indiaymx

I do something like that. But besides being poor, I focused on other things and Im kinda inspired by a ex gf of mine who is now semi famous.

Ive been playing guitar for i think 6 years now, but only as a hobby. I know some techniques like tapping and Hammer ons and some arpeggios. I know some chords too but I dont know how to construct a song, and I dont really know if i should focus on the guitar, and do stuff by myself on the computer or just put my name out there and search for a newbie pretentious hardcore/post punk band...

Thank you

Just look at his face

download the /comp/ books, or just look at note intervals, scales and chord construction depends on how deep you want to go.

Where can I find those "/comp/ books"?

I fucking love acid.
youtube.com/watch?v=tCyGtFEXrFo
youtube.com/watch?v=g6UO35feIfs
youtube.com/watch?v=VotISSj1GS4
youtube.com/watch?v=x51rgzYv-Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=47dr_SWEAEk

I thought composition general was up.
For the virtual synth try to get Kontakt for example.