Are the Beach Boys and Beatles the only two bands to go from mainstream typical FM pop to avant-garde experimental?

Are the Beach Boys and Beatles the only two bands to go from mainstream typical FM pop to avant-garde experimental?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5r5MBBRRn1Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kid cudi technically

You're describing Scott Walker though

>the beatles
>avant-garde

ac did the reverse of that

Not a band, but Lou Reed was a big hit with Transformer but he also released Metal Machine Music.

Poorly aping Nirvana is not experimental

What the fuck was with the 60s and such partrician pop music. Can you imagine a pop artist today releasing pet sounds, smile or revolver. Even all the popular rock bands were fucking great, imagine someone like Jimi Hendrix being in the charts today.

All of the Lights and Runaway were extremely patrician

Bands (aka managers/corporations) are so concerned with the biggest payoffs that they will not sign or promote anything slightly off-center.
Back in the 60s more labels were willing to give somes bands a chance because they knew psychadellic music was incoming

yeah i mean avant-garde isn't the exact word i'd use to describe them, but they both took a semi-experimental leap at a certain point in their careers

yeah honestly it was insane. some of the best bands of all time. and even though might be trolling, kanye did release yeezus

>anything by Kanye West
>patrician

>implying I wanna hold your hand and I am the Walrus are anything close to the same

>implying that that makes one of them avant-garde

no, that wasn't what he was implying you fucking retard. he was implying that the most "avant-garde" things the beatles did were psychedelic rock at best, aside from their faux-avant garde musique concrete experiments

U2

actually i was just meming

This

Nina Hagen's music went mainstream briefly in Germany in the 1980's and it some of the most avante-garde and experimental punk rock music I have ever heard of in my life (her first album is hardcore punk her later stuff is more electronic like this):

youtube.com/watch?v=5r5MBBRRn1Y

Twenty One Pilots, mark my words

oh, cool

Don't forget Miley Cyrus

Putting "Revolution 9" on an album millions of normies would receive for Christmas was pretty hardcore desu

this

>the Beatles and Beach Boys
>avant-garde
You truly are deluded

At their weirdest they still made pop music

muh psychedelic sound effects and baroque pop were a commercial move. The Beatles were never about anything other than the money.

Well I mean, Radiohead, Bowie and Nick Cave all had huge albums this year in the charts, no?

Also she took Anthony Kiedis's virginity.

>implying people are still NOT using signal processing techniques introduced on Sgt. Peppers to this very day

>muh psychedelic sound effects and baroque pop were a commercial move. The Beatles were never about anything other than the money.

I'll admit calling them avant garde is a stretch, but this is not true at all. By that point the Beatles cared fuck all about money, they just wanted to do what interested them and had the clout to move in that direction without much resistance from the record companies. You're fucking deluded as shit if you think including Tomorrow Never Knows on an album that would largely consumed by teenage girls was at all a commercial movie.

using radio static and backwards guitars is not very experimental

In 1966 it legitimately still was, for a rock act and especially for a pop act

Talk Talk

you called?

Yeah but American radio stations won't touch them and they aren't getting a ton of attention from the mainstream. If you were to walk up to an average Joe and ask him what he thinks of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds he would probably say "never heard of them."

+1

Maybe in the States yeah, at least where I live (ausfag) all three of this albums charted at 1-2 on the album charts and got at least some AirPlay on Triple J or whatever. Plus Nick Cave is more or less a household name down here.

>ignoring the massive melodic and harmonic leaps they took post 1965

ok. also, yes it was experimental for a pop act