/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread

Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.
10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy? [retired]
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp?
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?
Jenn "Best New Tastemaker" Pelly
Marc "Not Mark" Hogan
KRIS "Meme Rap" EX
Jillian "they don't love you like I love you" Mapes
Kevin "who needs TMT anyways" Lozano

Will someone dethrone Radiohead/Chance the Rapper’s 9.1 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 39
Nights since last BNM: 0

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member)
mega.nz/#!l1ZlRbqb!WYbGuia29w1_fpg05XS3F9Rtb8aFfj8WzZg8Z3mbwRQ

>Tonight's Top Stories
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-Any one go to Riot fest?
-Drake to Cudi: “You’re Getting Way Too High”
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, Danny Brown, and Bon Iver.
-/p4k/ forever

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BKgocFijmYV/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let it go. Pitchfork era is over and gone. Just let go, user, less you become a new form of a dadrocker that can't let go.

It's too late for me

This thread rejects the rape culture hysteria of Amber Coffman, Jessica Hopper, Ke$ha, Larkin Grimm, Meagan Garvey, Pitchfork, et al.

OFFICIAL LIST OF ARTISTS THAT COULD STILL DETHRONE RADIOHEAD/CHANCE IF THEIR FORTHCOMING ALBUM ACTUALLY COMES OUT THIS YEAR

Danny Brown
LCD Soundsystem
Chromatics
Bon Iver

and that's it?

twigs

>Danny Brown
maybe. p4k loves meme rap.
>LCD Soundsystem
no. critics are v. spiteful and petty, and music twitter was pissed that lcd said they'd be gone for good, only to come back 5 years later.
>Chromatics
no. too literally who. drive was a long time ago. and jonny jewel's tears makeup is stupid.
>Bon Iver
no. too much jesus stuff. only black music is allowed to do that without upsetting fedora music writers.

cool, didn't know she had an album on the way. LP1 really grew on me

nah, Dear Tommy will be GOAT

patten - 6.8

These are correct. I'm not sold on Dear Tommy's chances, but it's possible if they ever drop it. I'd rank the likelihood of each one breaking 9.1:

FKA Twigs > Danny Brown = Bon Iver >>> LCD Soundsystem > Chromatics

Surely we have some other year end surprise lined up though, right? Maybe the Flaming Lips? It's a long shot, but maybe they sobered up after several years of gimmicky bullshit.

Preoccupations 7.7
Gaslamp Killer 8.2 no BNM

Screencap this

Bon Iver is gonna release AOTD

Yeah, she's been performing new songs for a while now. OPN worked on it, they both posted some cryptic studio(?) shot on their IGs back in April

It already leaked and it's mediocre af

I did just get into Fleetwood Mac this week. P4K gave Rumors a 10 though so can I have both?

This was decided like a week ago. Danny will get AOTY

That bonnieboon album is 34 minutes. When was the last time they 9'd an album less than 35 mins?

Danny posted another snippet several hours ago.

instagram.com/p/BKgocFijmYV/

Brand New might be dropping this year and their last two tracks got BNM. Granted, they were released a year apart, but they've been active recently.

I would check this but Wikipedia deleted the article on p4k's BNMs, wtf

the wrens are going to save white indie this year

NIGHTLY RUNDOWN
Preoccupations 7.9 by Marc Masters
Robert Glasper Experiment 7.6 by Marcus J. Moore
Mndsgn 7.7 by Nate Patrin
Sumerlands 8.0 by Andy O'Connor

i love white ppl too.

hmm, was expecting a low BNM for preoccupations
also
>sumerlands
literally who

7.9 keks

woah the sumerlands singer's the guy from atlantean kodex! excited to listen to this now

Why haven't they reviewed Local Natives' Sunlit Youth? Damn, I can only assume they will trash it.

are you me? i literally just thought this and searched their site thinking i might have already missed their review.

Haha, I was just listening to the album and have been loving it. Not really p4k-core quality but still good imo.

>get cucked and bullied into changing your name
>don't even get BNM
the deserved it

that band sucks and is corny af but p4k likes them

feel like they've wised up tho and will give it a deservingly bad scoree

Fuck off. They're great. Some of their new record is indeed corny but it's really good imo.

It's been 10 days already. I don't know if they ever will.

Could get up to some Real Estate score like 8.8 but idk if it'd hit 9, I'm a Local Natives fan too

There are bands that get ignored from the get go(cage the elephant) or get reviewed after a few releases(title fight) but what acts do they stop reviewing after so long?

lmao, they'll be lucky to break 7.5.

this is the most delusional post i've read in p4k for quite some time

and remember when they took forever to review that Joey Bada$$ record? sorry Local Natives, a mild pan is heading your way

It's arbitrary. They'll purposely review albums they hate to show how much they hate it. Others they find awful so they stop reviewing. Some they find mediocre or average and still stop reviewing. I don't think there's much of a pattern.

Pretty much this. I really like the new record but really is not for P4K.

Yeah I'm okay with that Preoccupations rating, a 7.9 is pretty much what I'd rate it too

Got any examples of these?

Also, why did they write to talk about their hate for Alt-J? That just seemed like a silly way to be too trendy for what's trendy

I'm pretty sure the (sort of) same thing is going to happen for the new How to Dress Well album. They'll review it and will probably give it pretty good review (7.5-8.4) but it's still a shift to this sugary indie that's not p4k-core. But who knows, they loved Coloring Book.

They didn't review the new POP ETC (formerly The Morning Benders) album released this year. They gave their 2012 self-titled a 2.5, after giving Big Echo an 8.2

Or Pixies' new stuff. They'll review it regardless how much they hate it because of their love for their early stuff.

Does Pitchfork ever go out on a limb anymore (have they ever? seems like the did occasionally at one point in their history)? When was the last time they gave a glowing review to something the critical consensus was at least lukewarm toward and panned something they loved?

See the Alt-J example above. I still don't know why they panned an awesome wave

They loved Blueberry Boat (9.5), which had very mixed reviews.

Also, they gave The Shin's Port of Morrow an 8.4 when a lot of people were turning away from the band.

Also, the didn't like Demon Days.

Just leak the fucking album, Danny.

not the best example but pom pom? it has a 75 on metacritic with pitchfork's 8.8 being the highest.

That's still low. pom pom deserved at least a 9.2