Holy fuck has Tiny Mix Tapes ever fallen off the wagon

Holy fuck has Tiny Mix Tapes ever fallen off the wagon.

www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/wilco-schmilco

www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/preoccupations-preoccupations

tinymixtapes.com/music-review/death-grips-bottomless-pit

They read like they've been ransacked by a bunch of grumpy college dropouts and it's really harshed any momentum they had going once they started to seem like a healthy alternative to P4K. Anyone have any better music pubs to recommend (The Quietus, so on and so forth) now that both sites have gone down the shitter?

yeah they've been mad sloopy with reviews lately
i could write better garbage

>spend paragraphs talking about how Preoccupations' image is a superficial facade
>with most of the review making fun of/lambasting the band for that, one can assume that part of the low score is due to that reason
>despite this, the TMT still gives very high ratings to hip hop/trap artists who do the same thing
Are they really so fucking naive to believe that "oh nah, these white boys ain't for real. These black dudes though yeah they are real gangsta" when both parties are acting, and that's okay. They are in the entertain/art industry they are supposed to be doing that.

Good on 'em not buying into the bullshit and propagating toxic hype culture.

Long live TMT.

The Wire.

t. TMT writer

But they do just that. Only with hip hop/trap and then shit on it when a band like VC/PreOcc does it.

This makes me feel like I'm reading someone who really really liked Carles and wishes he could channel that level of alt nrg but just can't

IMO Tiny Mix Tapes is usually completely on point, is relevant, and respected in the industry

TMT is literally written by college kiddies though.

We even had a tripfag (PCface I think he was called?) who wrote for TMT.

>relevant, and respected in the industry
no one cares about TMT, they've never been as influential as, e.g., Pitchfork in its heyday (and honestly, no one else ever will be again; the days of music publications being "tastemakers" are over)

won't disagree with your first point tho

>the days of music publications being "tastemakers" are over
I think a lot of people still look to p4k for what to listen to, but none of those people post here, which would be why we're not aware of them. they're still pretty relevant and popular

The wireis is great

this.

TMT wrote one of the few NotM reviews that actually appreciated it. They have definitely fallen up their ass since then though.

Is Marcel our true lord and savior of music journalism Cred Forums?

Well they're totally right about Viet Cong though.

except TMT buys into shitty, overhyped trap releases all the fucking time

fuck off TMT

Eh, they're still miles more patrician than anyone else. They were also onto all that epic collage/Janus/etc stuff before most others.

yes

I feel like they've gotten better. Back in the 2000s they used to just copy whatever pitchfork liked. At least now they have their own thing.

I like the "Currents" review. Very detailed.

that's the thing though. every review lately has been written at such an obnoxious college-tier level. there's more emphasis at trying to be witty and set forth characteristics of the writer themselves rather than just analyze/critique the album. it feels we're only a few months away before they start waxing poetic about being blind to shooting stars. that preoccupations review is like reading a bunch of paragraphs written by someone who caught their wife fucking matthew flegel.

reviews need to be fucking criminalized, there's nothing worse than people trying to impose their opinions on art

Art is made to be critiqued and thought about. That's the whole point of the thing. Though I agree that being paid to do so is absurd.

fucking kek. go to bed, tomorrow's a school day.

fuck off

they aren't imposing their opinions, fucknuts. either consider it or ignore it; it's like you are saying no one should be allowed to publicly offer an opinion on art.

welp, found the sheep. that was easy.

Viva TMT!

Not really. Mostly just thug, future, & uzi, which is way less than the other sites.

>Pitchfork in its heyday (and honestly, no one else ever will be again; the days of music publications being "tastemakers" are over)

you're absolutely wrong, TMT & Pitchfork matters.

go to bed, marcel
it's a school night

>The wireis is great

the question is that no one reads the wire or the quietus, no ones.

hes just marcel

>TMT & Pitchfork matters.
>no one reads the wire or the quietus, no ones.
tup wew

The Most Trusted Voice In Music,
everybody knows!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Nice empty post. Care to explain why? Because you sound like the sheep to me.

lol, loads of people on Cred Forums had been shitting on viet cong for changing their name - saying that it lessened their credibility and ethos as a punk band, but when tmt says the same thing it's seen as an invalid criticism? let's face it, music writing has moved towards relativism and away from commenting on the more "objective" or formalistic qualities of music for a while now (since duchamp and warhol etc) and i see know issue with them eschewing with the notion that vc/preoccupations, and art in general, exists in a cultural vacuum.

I mean in the end of the day quietus saite and the wire are just "these" saites

everybody still check le legendary TMT & P4K scores, this shit matters.

E
V
E
R
Y

D
A
Y

you check this, anxiousitly
omg when will be tha next 10/10
damn

fuck off TMT

shut the fuckup faggot

they peaked at the currents review
they also need to start recommending some obscure albums or something. and go more into detail about the artist they dick suck

would love to see them properly analyze dean blunt,arca,james ferraro
instead of the pretentious vague quotes

i generally agree but the black metal review is one of their best

actually gave me a lot of new insights into the album

tinymixtapes has been like this for many years.

yo, this post reminds me of that one time my uncle had a stroke yet insisted on keeping his computer.

fuck i miss carles... he still writes for vice occasionally

Yeah I was pretty irritated when I read the preoccupations review. It read exactly like a p4k review. Fuck that.

That Preoccupations review is a testament to how just because you're allowed to write as long of an article you want to, doesn't mean you always should. I don't know how the fuck this rambling heap of shit flew by any editor. What was the point of writing all the backwash about the Viet Cong bullshit? At least Pitchfork doesn't shackle you to eight-plus paragraphs of a meandering argument to what should be just a straight-up review of an album. Is the writer not familiar with Women? Changing your band name isn't as much of a big deal as he's making it out to be. Christ almighty.

except pitchfork would applaud them for kowtowing to the self-righteous sjws. tmt did the opposite.

When you're a punk/post-punk band? Yeah, I think it matters a lot tb h.

that preoccupations review pissed me off so bad.

>www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/preoccupations-preoccupations
jesus christ, all of his writing is fucking trash, he barely fucking talks about the music, and only cares about his weird as fuck interpretation of status he gleans from bands
no, it doesn't, no genre does that. if they had presented themselves as self serious from the beginning then they, but they are nowhere even near the presentation gang of four had

>When you're a punk/post-punk band? Yeah, I think it matters a lot tb h.

What the fuck does that even mean? Since when does being a punk or post-punk band mean you're cemented to pledging allegiance by the name you started out making music in?

PUP used to be known as Topanga but changed it, Dinosaur Jr. used to be known as Dinosaur, and Joy Division was going to become New Order with or without Curtis regardless. All of this hub-bub about a band that had already changed its name prior to Viet Cong being a thing (and yes, I know Women had a different line-up before VC happened, but given how similar the sound is from each project's output, I feel there's no argument to be found in figuring out the importance of the previous names) is and always has been so bizarre. They changed the name moreso because they, the members, wanted to. Matt has stated that before the self-titled even dropped how he had grown tired of the edginess he felt the name 'Viet Cong' presented.