/dungeonsynth/ - Chaucerian Myth

Why aren't you listening to the hottest new dungeon synth release? Seriously, this tape is one of the best new things to happen to this genre.

Other urls found in this thread:

chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/releases
worldoftrollhorn.bandcamp.com/album/the-sleeping-green
youtube.com/watch?v=138ajKRMzIY
mega.nz/#!xpFlUQxT!byPSVQF7kgYOb3SXzZINlNT72pa8yhBEOry0ku7gc3k
youtube.com/watch?v=Lc75-VAXWu0
moonworshipper.bandcamp.com/album/demo-ii
mihvih.bandcamp.com/releases
sequesteredkeep.bandcamp.com
mega.nz/#F!J5VRDJhC!JXZ6Qn94FYcyehBLZ3ATzA
youtu.be/UoBmsVLm2z4
youtu.be/ltQZOK6YKcE
youtube.com/watch?v=zPDahFDchDw
youtube.com/watch?v=dIF2m4fkTW8
youtube.com/watch?v=on8C1mEKp88
youtube.com/channel/UChmm356a5qe1luUsoatAgjA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ggsl05XiBbM
youtube.com/watch?v=iF53I8dt9is
youtube.com/watch?v=TMGlNtmlnk8
erdstall.bandcamp.com/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_(medieval_music)
youtube.com/watch?v=egpe34BNJuE
spheredelic.com/en/music/nigromante-the-euphonies-and-profundidades-sd-056-detail.html
youtube.com/watch?v=P9-9cWtuQD0
youtube.com/watch?v=xfmjiZ_isso
retape.bandcamp.com/track/ebola
youtube.com/watch?v=uqeCCc7GMcM
burzum.org/eng/library/2013_interview_dungeon_synth.shtml
voldsomtapes.bandcamp.com/album/vandringen-i-skoglandskap
youtube.com/watch?v=SpqSdORmCX4
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMHCGC8qP5422kYz3kVp8e2NiFfeMCA3m
youtube.com/watch?v=2guzO8CdYZU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

link: chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/releases

Someone posted this in the last thread and it was incredible. One of the best Dungeon Synth albums I've heard recently.

No way, are we doing this again? The thread from a few nights ago was incredible, but I feel like the magic can't be replicated.

I haven't listened to Chaucerian Myth, even if I saw it getting posted around. Something about Dungeon Synth made in the 2010's just seems off for me. Maybe it's just that the production value is usually too high. Stuff like Lord Lovidicus and Abandonded places doesn't do it for me like those old obscure tapes do.

What are some essential/good DG albums from this decade?

I've just been hardcore in the dungeon synth mood after that last thread, it even inspired me to actually start recording some stuff.

Hate Forest is some pretty good stuff, I remember seeing it in the dungeonsynth blog and loving it the first time I listened to it.

I would still heavily recommend Chaucerian Myth. Hedge Wizard is another good one, he does a really good job of replicating the feel and the quality of old tapes. His music also carries the same feeling of fantasy that old tapes like Middle Ages have. Despite all of that I still agree that the old obscure tapes outclass almost every recent dungeon synth release.

I'll have to check those out, thanks man.

Paysage d'Hiver is another artist I've started listening to again now that it's gotten colder. His wintery Dungeon Synth tapes are incredible.

worldoftrollhorn.bandcamp.com/album/the-sleeping-green

doesn't look very kvlt

medieval acid > dungeon synth
youtube.com/watch?v=138ajKRMzIY

I can only appreciate dungeon synth while reading.
What are some books/comics/RPG manuals I should read while listening to DS?

I remember reading an article about this a while back. Thank you for reminding me of this.

this is fucking awful.

Play Old School Runescape while listening to Dungeon Synth. No better feeling then doing quests and listening to Depressive Silence. Hell, even the sound track has some songs that could pass as Dungeon Synth.

looks good on acid lmao

I don't play video games

They don't even need to pass as dungeon synth, they essentially are dungeon synth. A lot of the songs in OSRS sound eerily similar to Hedge Wizard and Caduceus.

So I know dungeon synth pairs well with a lot of games, but have any of you experimented with watching movies on mute while listening to dungeon synth? Anything that invokes a compatible atmosphere.

I unironically enjoy dungeon synth

What's everyone's opinion on this album?

I personally enjoy it a lot but I feel like it has a slightly cheesy aesthetic to it with the deep evil voice narrating each song.

The voice being cheesy isn't a bad thing, its just a unique twist on including vocals in a DS tape because I'm so used to hearing serious vocals in things like Fjelltronen.

You came to the right place

no but I read LOTR while listening to dungeon synth

highly recommend with any fantasy book you enjoy tb h

Anyone have a download for Mournlord - Reconquering Our Kingdom

it's really hard to enjoy dungeon synth from the USA

i dunno just feels strange and sort of fake. With Europeans they're reminded of the old world every day.

what are your top 10 dungeon synth releases that arent the obvious entry level choices

mega.nz/#!xpFlUQxT!byPSVQF7kgYOb3SXzZINlNT72pa8yhBEOry0ku7gc3k

>With Europeans they're reminded of the old world every day.
lol I don't feel like that m8

Have to disagree with you here. Coming from the midwest or somewhere more forested, DS still evokes pretty strong feelings of old world and medieval times.

I mean, maybe somewhere like Washington, anywhere in the PNW really, New England, Alaska makes sense. But when I see someones location is [small town], Ohio it's just, I dunno, ruins the immersion I guess?

What are some more Black Metal albums with Dungeon Synth incorporated in them.

Pic related has some of my favorite Dungeon Synth songs, while also being one of my favorite black metal albums.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Lc75-VAXWu0

Can't really put them in order but its probably a toss up of Shrouded in Mystery, The Canterbury Tales, Middle Ages, More True than Time Thought, and Era 1 Mortiis.

Not sure if any of those are included in your definition of entry level choices.

Hell dwells in Ice is amazing

That was amazing, more?

moonworshipper.bandcamp.com/album/demo-ii

[small town] = Toledo?

I've camped through national parks in the PNW and listened to primarily dungeon synth along the way and it's hard to live up to that experience, but you aren't always living in those places everyday in the PNW. Meanwhile in the midwest, I'm able to walk outside my door and be in a forested area with a river in less than 10 minutes every day of the week.

But I guess that's also what I enjoy about dungeon synth. You're able to get one guy from Lithuania in 1995 and then another guy almost 20 years later in [small town] Ohio making very similar music evoking similar imagery.

mihvih.bandcamp.com/releases
This is something I made a year ago, I guess this would count? I tried making a completely digital black metal record with heavy dark ambient vibes as fun test sort of. Give it a try

>finally a good dungeon synth thread on Cred Forums
Didn't see the earlier one, this is good. I'm actually listening to Dauthi Baldrs at the moment.

I did actually listen to this, honestly it's pretty boring and quote amateurly made. The music doesn't really interact with the subject matter in any way, the CT doesn't seem to have any more relevance than providing titles for the tracks.

Does anyone here listen to Sequestered Keep? They release an album every month or two, it's great. They're also pretty consistent in quality, if consistent in sound too.
sequesteredkeep.bandcamp.com

The last one had like 120 replies and was up for 2 days. I'd have to reread Canterbury Tales to be completely honest, but it seemed okay to me with my limited memory of the book. It's not as involving as a lot of other tapes but it's good for me in the background or on a walk.

What's your opinion of Dauthi Baldrs? It can get a bit repetitive for me at certain points but otherwise its a classic. I know traditionally the album is supposed to follow legacy of Baldr, but I remember reading an interpretation of it as the decay or collapse of a once great royal dynasty that died out from diseases caused by inbreeding. Certain points of Moti Ragnarokum conjure imagery of the last living ruler of the dynasty lying alone in his castle as it collapses around him.

Also, I've always enjoyed The Oldest Realm by Sequestered Keep. I haven't touched most of their newer stuff yet, but I plan on listening to it soon.

Ayyy I have a medieval literature class this semester on Middle English
It's useless but now I have something to read w/ it
What's your fav Canterbury tale? I like the Miller's Tale b/c it's raunchy af

Checking this out

Took one of those a couple semesters ago, it was pretty cool.

The Miller's tale is a great one, also enjoy the Knight's and Reeve's Tale a lot.

Dungeon Synth covers all almost always pretty awesome.

ITT: Nazi's

Is there some sort of mega folder or whatever with all the dungeonsynth essentials?

this

this tbqh. i am entry level here.

>484.6MB

man chaucerian myth is actually incredible

the best i've found is this:

mega.nz/#F!J5VRDJhC!JXZ6Qn94FYcyehBLZ3ATzA

be careful though, i downloaded some of the Mortiis albums and they were corrupt or something, they kept skipping

So I've never heard of this genre but I'm really intrigued. I love early music as well as analog/midi synths. Love the visual aspect of it as well. Can someone give a rundown of this genre with some history and key albums?

in the 80s synth dudes make music for fantasy movies.
Tangerine Dream - The Keep OST
in the 90s black metal dudes raised on DnD put cheap-ass synth intros/interludes into their albums
Eventually some of them figure out they can make whole albums of those (or they just can't into guitars and screams)
Also video games make medieval chiptune
all of that happens around the same time
and now it's a genre
the current generation of dungeon synth pulls from all those sources.

OP's pic is screaming for some Pen and Pixel titles.

>finally a non-pleb thread on Cred Forums

no strictly speaking dungeonsynth, but i think you guys might like
>Mark Mothersbaugh - Muzik For Insomniaks (1988)
('80s experimental midi tracks by an ex-Devo)

youtu.be/UoBmsVLm2z4
youtu.be/ltQZOK6YKcE

Honestly I'm not that big a fan of CT. Chivalric literature is where it's at.

thanks!

Someone rec me some new dungeon synth.

>proto-DS
Legend OST
The Keep OST
>medieval chiptune
Runescape OST
Ultima 5 OST
Agony OST
>black metal intros/outros/interludes
Burzum - Tomhet
Emperor - Inno a Satana
Behemoth - Hell Dwells in Ice
Satyricon - Walk the Path of Sorrow
Dimmu Borgir - Sorgens Kammer 1 (actually ripped from the Agony OST)
>1st wave dungeon synth
Mortiis (early albums)
Wongraven
Grabesmond
Burzum (prison albums)
Depressive Silence
Wojnar
Elffor
>2000s goth dark ambient:
Nox Arcana
Midnight Syndicate
>current dungeon synth
Lord Lovidicus
Errang
Arathgoth
Dungeon Lore Foundation
Dark Ages
>industrial dungeon synth
Ice Ages

>proto-DS
Legend OST
The Keep OST
>medieval chiptune
Runescape OST
Ultima 5 OST
Agony OST
>black metal intros/outros/interludes
Burzum - Tomhet
Emperor - Opus a Satana
Behemoth - Hell Dwells in Ice
Satyricon - Walk the Path of Sorrow
Dimmu Borgir - Sorgens Kammer 1 (actually ripped from the Agony OST)
>1st wave dungeon synth
Mortiis (early albums)
Wongraven
Grabesmond
Burzum (prison albums)
Depressive Silence
Wojnar
Elffor
>2000s goth dark ambient:
Nox Arcana
Midnight Syndicate
>current dungeon synth
Lord Lovidicus
Erang
Arathgoth
Dungeon Lore Foundation
Dark Ages
>industrial dungeon synth
Ice Ages

Monumental Dance > everything

youtube.com/watch?v=zPDahFDchDw

youtube.com/watch?v=dIF2m4fkTW8

NIGRE
LEGIONES
FERUS
IMPERATOR

bop

Middle Ages - Caduceus

shit, you caught us

this isn't even the correct stereotype

I thought Nazis just listened to shitty Oi and black metal?

entry lvl album?

youtube.com/watch?v=on8C1mEKp88

more like shitty synthwave and bluegrass

ITT: People who like dungeons & dragons and floppy disks

anyone know where to get any dungeon synth cassette tapes in the UK/EU?

This.

> get on Cred Forums
> mfw there's another dungeon synth general

to the guy that rec'd Old Tower and Thangorodrim last thread, many thanks

what do we think of Dungeon Synth archives, the youtube channel? It's pretty inconsistent but there's some good stuff in there

youtube.com/channel/UChmm356a5qe1luUsoatAgjA

anything is good to take at this point
>youtube.com/watch?v=Ggsl05XiBbM
wait, wasn't Uruk-Hai the name of Varg's first project?

Yeah, I think it started with Kalashnikov, then Uruk-Hai, then he created Burzum

yeah, never realized how much LOTR-themed dungeon synth there was. We can probably thank Summoning for that

youtube.com/watch?v=iF53I8dt9is

I checked out the Uruk-hai demo

It's nigh-unlistenable.
In fact it's 99% white noise and a very faint riff in the background.

the amount of effort that went into this is almost as funny as the end product

Not too suprised about that, I mean even with Filosofem didn't he ask for the worst possible recording equipment? If I remember correctly he used a shitty computer headset to record the vocals.

Nice, another dungeon thread. I'm surprised this has actually got somewhat noticed.

youtube.com/watch?v=TMGlNtmlnk8

So how do you guys find your music? Most of the dungeon synth I've located outside of the classics (Depressive Silence, Caduceus, Erang, et al.) are impossible to find by Soulseek or torrent

didn't mean to reply sorry

youtube and google lil nigga

wat?

Can someone explain to me how I make dungeon synth?

Oh yeah that was me, yeah glad you like it.. Hate Forest is pretty essential. Just sharing shit now.

erdstall.bandcamp.com/

you want someone to explain to you how to make music?

is very simple
take shitty synth VST for your DAW
learn dorian and mixolydian scales
twiddle the knobs on your interface until you've got a half-decent sound
then (and this is very important) ADD REVERB
then do a few melodic lines with the MIDI keyboard
And then if you're feelin extra-epic, add a slow-ass drum loop with even more reverb on it.

That's the basic formula.

But the most important part is inspiration. Listen to your heart and let the voice of ancient wisdom guide you through your amateurish synth wankery.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_(medieval_music)

I've been trying to learn too recently, these scales work wonders for coming up with a simple melody

I should try my hand at a dungeon synth album just to get some use out of my autoharp.

Is there any good way to learn medieval music or should I just listen to it a lot an analyse it myself?

listen to it a lot, it can help; what I've learned from my bro who actually knows music is that:
-there are shitloads of chord inversions
-the same basic rhythmic motif repeats itself all the time
-tritones are rare as fuck
-melodic phrases often begin and end with the drone note.

Check out the two posts above you, learning how to use the scales listed helps a lot because they have a medieval sound to them

Thanks, I'm probably just going to mess around with dorian mode until I come up with some cool motifs

How do I make monumental dance?

It honestly sounds more challenging than DS.

I've already made martial industrial so that could come in handy.

So you think one certain musical genre is above everything, huh? You really think so, asswipe? I bet you haven't even listened to all existing genres to have the right to claim so? Well let me tell you that you are wrong. That's right. WRONG! You are wrong. I know because I am an intellugent gentleman who doesn't believe in God or any other fairy tales. So shut up you ignorant Chad. There are many things above a certain genre, for an example: science, Japanese culture and good manners. I bet you are one of those unintelligent jocks who can't enjoy any of those fine arts. You may be a tough guy on the 'Chon but we'll see who'll be tougher IRL. I am a nice guy but if you get on my bad side... FYI... I'm a trained black belt on Karate so now you know who you're f@#%ing with. Back off before I find you.

Starters for this genre? Wanna get into it.

Another dungeon synth thread this active just days after the previous, pretty sick

read the thread

and don't ruin it with memes
don't make it crash and burn like frankjavcee did with vaporwave

Give it time, if this little genre keeps going up and up, especially on Cred Forums, it will just crash and burn and turn into another sunbather.

>UUGH FUCKING ELITIST FAGGOT
fuck you, i dont care.

Depressive Silence ii, Ånden som Gjorde Oppror - Mortiis, Dauði Baldrs - Burzum, Shrouded in Mystery - Forgotten Pathways, Middle Ages - Caduceus, Fjelltronen - Wongraven

just listen to depressive silence and mortiis and if you like those you will find more on your own.

None of that has been brought up, even in the last huge thread, until you just mentioned it now

did anyone else enjoy none of this is real

I didn't enjoy it.
It has bits of ooga-gooba urban basketball man music in it.

It's pretty cool. Don't listen to it that often but I'll put it on every now and then. Satan in the Suburbs mixtape is pretty cool too

No, that sucked. Wouldn't even call it ds

it's vaportrap with a lo-fi edge, not dungeon synth.

Which of his releases are dungeon synth? Rec anything?

How is your Dungeon Synth album coming along Cred Forums I can't be the only one here who makes it.

This is the lamest shit I have ever heard. There is nothing "synth" about this. It's all GM sounds. Don't fucking pretend this is something it's not

Made my first song last night after working on it for a couple hours, going to work on it some more today. What kind of Dungeon Synth are you making?

ah, I had figured it wasn't
I thought it was pretty neat though

Who cares..?

You obviously have only listened to a couple songs. Sure a lot of artists just use GM but there's plenty of them that use synthesizers heavily.

this was meant to be in response to this

Just making generic Gregorian mode music with N64 soundfonts.

Trying to take inspiration from Coil
youtube.com/watch?v=egpe34BNJuE

Never heard of Coil, giving it a listen. I've been studying some stuff like Gregorian modes, still haven't found a sound I like though.

My friend keeps telling me pic related is ds.
How retarded is he?

He might as well be a vegetable

yeh its cool but nearly nothing to do with dungeon synth

10/10

Nice quints

Paysage d'Hiver has a massive discography, most of it being black metal with hints of ambient and Dungeon Synth thrown in. However, the two tapes Die Festung and Einsamkeit are only dark ambient/dungeon synth, and have an extremely cold but beautiful atmosphere to them

at least he got the synth part right

Curious question, loves. Is this considered dungeon synth or just medieval style music with synths?

spheredelic.com/en/music/nigromante-the-euphonies-and-profundidades-sd-056-detail.html

youtube.com/watch?v=P9-9cWtuQD0

moonworshipper.bandcamp.com/album/demo-ii A lot of really interesting atmosphere on this release, reminiscent of the old, with melodies of something new

Not really a fan of dungeon synth but I like dungeon synth elements in my black metal. I love that sound that invokes medieval times.

bump

this is so good

im glad i see these threads on mu, finally something new

yes then

youtube.com/watch?v=xfmjiZ_isso

Is there an essentials chart for dungeon synth?

I can't understand the instructions at the beginning other than to put it on shuffle. How are you supposed to listen to it?

Shit, I used to have one that seperated it by like, nineties classics, early 00's, and modern releases or something. Can't fucking find it now.

gotchya

Ok I'm a dungeon synth novice in that I've only heard the Burzum DS albums, but I'm halfway through track 2 on Chaucerian Myth and it's blowing my mind.

Looks like these dungeon synth threads help out more people than just us, lets keep this shit going

needs moar medieval acid

retape.bandcamp.com/track/ebola

Still have a whole 3 hours left of the album past that, the beginning is really strong though

not bad, it's not even the best track you posted

youtube.com/watch?v=uqeCCc7GMcM
This music is boom with Hot JAV Nude Idol

>things you wish were dungeon synth album covers.

Then make it so

how hard is to make a dungensynth album? can i use only softwares? like ableton or st?

burzum.org/eng/library/2013_interview_dungeon_synth.shtml

Found an interesting article where Varg talks about Dungeon Synth. Does anyone have any idea why Varg would hate Mortiis? Samoth helped record some of the bass on Aske, and they were both in Emperor together for a short period of time.

Holy fucking shit dude.

its not that hard, just use shitty sample based midi files that sounds like they are from some 80s medieval based video game

rutracker m8, just hit up dungeon synth and you will see

varg is hating everyone from the old times desu

the instructions say to put it on shuffle with a crossfade of 5 or 6 seconds, but I just play it front to back

anything by John Blanche

look at this

and Ian Miller

>chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/releases
Hey, discount Rammstein, love those guys

bump

Wrong link?

voldsomtapes.bandcamp.com/album/vandringen-i-skoglandskap

What are some video game soundtracks that sound like dungeon synth?

Is this instrumental dungeon synth: youtube.com/watch?v=SpqSdORmCX4

What do E. Nomine have to do with Rammstein except for the fact that they're German?

see

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMHCGC8qP5422kYz3kVp8e2NiFfeMCA3m

youtube.com/watch?v=2guzO8CdYZU

Can someone recommend me some good traditional Gregorian music?