Can we talk about what the fuck happened to rap music?

Can we talk about what the fuck happened to rap music?

How did we go from great artists like Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Snoop, 50, + more to shit artists like Desiigner and Young Thug?

Man I miss when rap was about going hard as fuck, now we have people like Young Thug wearing dresses and shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c6OkLZ5K76s
youtube.com/watch?v=bP9AboOlEY0
youtube.com/watch?v=6JDp1HNTayI
youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1PF0Dg220
youtube.com/watch?v=q8VO4Rm3ulw
youtube.com/watch?v=97fFYsMbVvE
youtube.com/watch?v=zCT1gZGr6IQ
youtube.com/watch?v=koqmkptDhyY
youtube.com/watch?v=o62x0h3BTKU
youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_DHRI-Xp0
notjustalabel.com/designer/alessandro-trincone-0
soundcloud.com/conortheroachgod
reverbnation.com/conortheroachgod
roachgod1.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=vKgEZhfXZMw
youtube.com/watch?v=IFogA7Z6DMc
youtube.com/watch?v=76tNF9GKiTo
youtube.com/watch?v=-7u0wWcvabY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Tupac
>Snoop

This nigga thinks he knows great artists.

love reading the shit opinions of le wrong generashun hip hop listeners

young thug is good nigga. stfu.

Shut your fucking mouth.

>rap too black and militant
>now rap too white and experimental

it's like a brother can't win or something

Kanye happened

Only if you hung out around old folks homes. I've literally never met a millennial who thought classic rap was "too black" or "too violent"

Tupac would literally choke to death if he tried manipulating his voice like based Thugger does.

>old pop rap
>going "had as fuck"

yawn.

I feel like hip hop is quickly approaching the wall that rock music ran into in the 80s

This

Kanye, Drake, and Future are good. The majority after that is all shit though

>stuck in the past
>no ability to enjoy rap that strays even a little from a hyper conservative lyricism based mindset.
>Actually thinks a rapper wearing something close to a dress is a problem in any way shape or form.

Wow, thanks for making me feel better about myself op

Being good doesn't alter the fact that they influence a generation of artists and the artists they influence turn out to be shit.

You're the problem

>implying that mumbling into a microphone while turning the bass up to 100 is good music

Yep I'm the problem alright.

>you now realise that Death Grips is to rap what Nirvana was to rock

>I'll take you to the candy shop
>I'll let you lick the lollipop

damn... hard af

if you can't even be bothered to look for the type of rap you want to listen to then kys

Not even close desu

I bet you think Young Thug is a real nigga for wearing that dress right?

Nirvana was popular though

err at least mainstream

>Giving a fuck about how a guy dresses.

IDGAF about Thugger trying to bring attention to him but i fuck with many of his tracks.

Its not like he goes on every track about how gay is he and he would suck a dick. Actually its the opposite most of the time

what is this youtube comments circa 2010?

youtube.com/watch?v=c6OkLZ5K76s
youtube.com/watch?v=bP9AboOlEY0

You can't tell me this doesn't go hard

no, 2016 ya nitwit

You can't tell me this dosn't go hard

youtube.com/watch?v=6JDp1HNTayI
youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1PF0Dg220

Shit dude, the dress isn't really that big of a deal. I just think that rappers now days are more pussies then they were back then. Hell, in one of Em's songs he brings up the columbine shootings because he didn't give a single fuck.Imo rappers today are to scared to step out of their comfort zone and say anything that might be "controversial". I have respect for thug, and I have respect for you if you like him. But those are just my thoughts

Eminem only did that because he was deliberately trying to provoke people. Now that he's older, he can tell it was immature to do that and has moved on. Being edgy for the sake of being edgy makes it so it's not edgy at all.

Death Grips is mainstream tho? Granted not Nirvana big but that's not possible in this era.

>le wrong generation XD

Thugger is great, cry more bitch nigga

it became more about the art, and less about super serious real life stuff

half of mu thought tpab was too black and militant

Idk man, I mean no matter how hard I try I just can't get into trap music you know? I think it's just becauseI grew up on those artists but I really don't know dude. I respect all these dudes but it really just doesn't connect w/ me I guess

you know young thug and desiigner aren't the biggest rappers of our current time, right?

try this
youtube.com/watch?v=q8VO4Rm3ulw

>Was expecting it to be shit
>Was actually good

Thanks user

you're saying that a trap rapper who literally wears a dress is afraid to be controversial?

youtube.com/watch?v=97fFYsMbVvE

Curry is fucking based.

So is Thugger and the rest tho.

I'm talking about shit that could be considered offensive not this SJW bs. I wanna hear a rapper go off about how he's really fuck some shit up if you fuck with him. I wanna hear something like Hit 'em Up or I'm back.

i mean it sounds to me like you're pretty offended if you're this upset by it lol. and literally at least half of modern rappers talk about fucking you up if you fuck with them, instead of the 75% it was 20 years ago. It's not really that bad. Especially since it gives them freedom to touch on the millions of other topics in the world.

Someone hasn't listened to the new Die Antwoord album.

Goddamn I hate when people talk about Em's teenage levels of edginess like it was something respectable. I was a child when he was coming up on that shit and even then I thought it was disappointing.

You think new is better than old Em?

I think no Eminem is good personally, but old is better than new by a wide margin.

its fucking amazing right?

>SJW bs

what rapper is singing about SJW stuff?

He might've been edgy but you have to admit that his flow was insane. Especially if you've listened to old Em. I'm not a dick rider but there's a reason he's in the rap HOF

milo

I agree OP, rap did get more creative over the years, Young thug miles ahead of those dusty niggas

I lasted 3 songs. I guess I just can't relate to this music in any way. I do enjoy modern hip hop though. RtJ, Death Grips, and numerous others are still keeping the scene alive.

I'm not too much of a fan of a lot of the subject matter but I did enjoy it. Supposedly they have one more album and then they're moving onto something else and I'm looking forward to what that is.

This is why I don't fuck with hardcore drugs. That shit will fuck you up

>didn't even get to future swag
JUST

ill give it a listen

They're pretending to be retarded and you fell for it.

i really hope you aren't op.

Who me? Nope

How do you guys feel about Lil' Wayne?

But user that's one of the best trap albums to come out in a long time.

That's exactly what it is, trap music. You can't categorize this with the likes of Kendrick Lamar and J Cole.

Is it really that good? Heard a lot of people say good things about and haven't gotten to listen to it yet

>Is it really that good? Heard a lot of people say good things about and haven't gotten to listen to it yet

Well, it's not cookie cutter mixtape shit. It's an actual album with effort put into it. I actually don't even like trap but there's something gravitational about this one. Maybe it's his delivery.

Tha Block is Hot, Tha Carter I - III are classics but he has some real shit albums too.

youtube.com/watch?v=zCT1gZGr6IQ

WEGOTLONDONONDATRACK

This was exceptional bait

>OP mentions 50 cent
>anyone replies
its like we like getting trolled
also 31 posters to 67 fools just boolin itt

OP Here

Maybe I was too hasty in my decision to hate on this. I was listening to a bunch of Young Thug while on this thread. I honestly only knew one or two songs before a bunch of people convinced me to give it another shot Plus I hate being the "le born in wrong generation" kid. I realize the error of my ways. Please forgive my incompetence. I promiose to never show my face here again

If you ask me, Young Thug, Yachty, Kodak and Desiigner are 10x better than Pac, Biggie, Dre and Eminem because they actually have their own style and are actually innovating instead of just grinding the same concept. It gets boring.

I love Thugger and Desiigner is pretty good. I can't get into some of their contemporaries though, like Travis Scott and Lil Yachty

Finished the album. The later 2/3 is so much better than the opening songs. I'm glad I gave it another chance. Guwop is actually a pretty good song, and Harambe's title doesn't do the song justice.

The production is actually incredible. I still don't care for the lyrics on most of the songs aside from Guwop. Even then the writing is that of a high school sophomore. Whatever, I'm glad I gave it a listen. I've been convinced that Trap isn't complete garbage.

This is objectively wrong though

fuckk off you're not me

>implying he doesn't have street cred

nigga was shot. how is that not hard. just because his music went to shit afterwards doesn't mean he didn't make on of the best rap albums of the 2000s

You wanna be known for hating Thugger instead of me? Fine by me

This is some awful bait.

>death grips
>mainstream
I hope you're joking. Mainstream means mass appeal. Think artists like Drake, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Adele etc.

What because he mentioned the word "patriarchy" in one of his songs? Fuck outta here you insecure pussy. Milo is a great rapper.

niggas really out here acting like rap production isn't at an all-time high. people are experimenting more and that's a good thing. Rap is probably the most experimentation-conducive genre so if you don't like it just listen to some Sugar Hill Gang you crusty ass

THE DEATH OF RAP IS HERE

any song that doesn't talk about school shootings is SHIT

Hip hop is at it's most experimental and I don't see it slowing down. Also the fact that it's at it's most popular right now is fantastic.

I may be exaggerating, but I think it's the best genre to listen to in 2016.

I AM THE ONE DON'T WEIGH A TON DON'T NEED A GUN TO GET RESPECT UP ON THE STREETS
UNDER THE SUN THE BASTARD SUN WILL POP THE GLOCK TO FEED HIMSELF AND FAMILY

no dissent here. It's by far the most interesting thing going on in music right now. So versatile and allows for the highest level of talent from the MC and producers. It cane fast and technically impressive, rhyme schemes can be complicated, or it can just be a simple vibes track that focuses more on the tone of the voice and overall mood. Rapping can be aggressive or chill and autotuned, which adds a whole other harmonic element. The culture values underground artists and collaboration. What other genres could have 10 vocalists on a track and still have it work flawlessly? All this shit combined with the snappiest from samples in music and booming 808s, possibly the single and most important sound in music production, and you have the coolest shit in the game.

>possibly the single and most important sound in music production, and you have the coolest shit in the game.
>muh 808s
303+909 is the best combo, prove me wrong

I was using 808s as more of a generic term for trap bass. Shit that bumps out of good speakers
enlighten me on that combo if you want cuz I haven't heard of it

>Kanye
>not fuckboy P. Diddy.

This entire thread is bait but anyone who says Thugga doesn't go hard is off it

Here's a video of The Game apologising to a real blood after running his mouth

youtube.com/watch?v=koqmkptDhyY

And there is still quality out there:

Kendrick Lamar
Earl Sweatshirt
Pusha T
Danny Brown
Tyler

It aint what it used to be in the 90s but it's not like you can't still listen to that music

young thug and future are good there are just too many shitty clones of them

But now we have artists like Danny who's going to make album of the millennium

there still good stuff out there, even though I agree, this trap trend is god damn awful

the thing about modern rap music is that a lot of what's being produced lately is less about rapping and more about just general rhythm, melody and most of all, the beat.

guys like future and young thug don't care much about their lyrics. they've kind of mostly abandoned that aspect of rap in favor of the rhythm of it.

The thing is though that eventually people are gonna catch on and realize that most of the appeal here is the beat, and that there are EDM producers making better music in this style right now.

There's a DJ named Herobust who's been previewing a new song on his snapchat lately, he's a white dude with no obvious rapping skills who makes EDM Trap/Dubstep music. except his latest song has him "rapping" over his song with pitched down auto-tune vocals for a period before the drop and it legit sounds like it could be one of these trap rappers.

A lot of this music is still good but you honestly don't even need the rapper any more, they are just a face for people to go see at concerts. Some of the songs on Young Thug's latest record sound super similar to some EDM trap/future-bass artists.

The fact that his album cover looks super similar to Flume's is not a coincidence.

all these trap rappers are just biting EDM hard and I don't know why nobody's caught on yet. Some of them are pretty open about it, like Waka Flocka Flame.

imo people should just skip the mumblerapper and just go listen to Cashmere Cat and Lido...

MF DOOM is the only good rapper

wow this is ignoring about 2 decades of rap history and making the biggest fucking reach ever in comparing album covers

no it's not? this isn't even talking about rap man, there's tons of good rap out there.

I'm talking specifically about trap rappers like Future and Young Thug. they don't stretch back 2 decades bro.

trap is sort of splitting off from rap at this point, there are songs on Young Thug's latest album where he arguably is not even saying words any more.

It's super tough to say that a song like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=o62x0h3BTKU

is the same genre as a song like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_DHRI-Xp0

young thug is not even the same thing as other trap artists like Migos or basically every pre-2011 trap artist.

also I fucking guarantee you Young Thug has listened to that Flume album and seen its album cover. Just based on the production of many of his songs on his latest album.

it's no reach.

Also doesn't help your case that trap artists are straight up getting beats from EDM producers now, like the aforementioned Cashmere Cat who has been making beats for fucking everybody the past 2 years.

do you even know who are the dungeon family are

yes

they aren't really relevant here other than Future who sounds way different than the rest of them

here's a question, do you know what an 808 is you fucking merk

stick to listening to flume in your bedroom instead of trying to whitewash atlanta pale euro teen

There are different subgenres of hip-hop. Young Thug and Schoolboy Q are both hip-hop but Young Thug is trap.

Also the outfit on the cover art was created by designer Alessandro Trincone, Flume has nothing to do with Young Thug.

notjustalabel.com/designer/alessandro-trincone-0

I couldn't add anything more to this. It's perfect.

There's nothing wrong with EDM rap as long as it sounds good.

haha thanks man. I've been fucking around making rap beats for a few years and it's by far the funnest genre to produce IMO. Not to mention it's the cornerstone of modern parties.

>Snoop
2 good albums then fell off HARD

It's my favourite genre of all genres. I absolutely love it with a huge passion. I don't make beats or anything, but I'm always listening to it, every single day. I have neglected so many genres listening to hip hop. I'm also white. No fucks given really. I can't get enough of this music.

I think 2Pac gets a bit of unfair hate by sub 25 year olds who grew up hearing about how great he was, but didn't grow up listening to him.

That said, I'd much rather put on New English than any of Pac's albums.

>guys like future and young thug don't care much about their lyrics.
Wordplay and the like is still caring about lyrics.

Punchline rapping stays true to the roots of hip-hop much more than conscious shit, which has always been a sub genre of a very braggadocios genre.

> I wanna fuck her but she play more games than the NBA
A++ Lyricism

What's more "hard" than pissing off people obsessed with tradition and nostalgia?

Being edgy should not be mistaken for making good music, fucktard

>Eminem

kys

haha im in the same boat man. I'd like to think rap has surpassed race at this point

Fuck no. Yachty and Desiigner go hard.
Not to mention Denzel Curry, Vince Staples.. Man fuck Biggie and Pac.. bunch of old irrelevant dudes.
Hip Hop is moving on bro, deal with it.

Not to mention the GOAT of 2016.. I think ya'll know who I'm talking about

Kodak and Desiigner are trash.

What about Young Thug melodic talent? He keeps pumping out super catchy hooks and flows and rhythms seemingly without effort or (probably) any knowledge of music theory
He's the perfect example of someone who was just born with talent, can you imagine if he actually sat down and wrote a piece of music? He's already great but there is so much more potential, too bad he's a dumb hoodrat like most rappers

>Future
>Good
Wew lad

I know a guy who doesn't listen to violent rap because he's a 20something white boy and he thinks his dad will disapprove

Tell me more

Who

This

oh look another homophobic rap fan

i'm not gay or anything but i would totally cuddle with thug

Homophobia is good. It ensures that music remains raw and real. Please stop trying to gentrify hip-hop to your white indie standards.

>Homophobia is good. It ensures that music remains raw and real
haha what the fuck could you please break down the logic of that for me? In what way are sexual preferences and amorphous and ill-defined terms like "raw" and "real" even remotely connected
Did you think though what you wrote at all before you posted it?

gay shit is fine but not when it's is done so it creates an aesthetic that stems from its gentrified and stereotyped aspects as they are known in our culture.
Sh

>Homophobia is good. It ensures that music remains raw and real

the point is that if the rapper is homophobic you might not want him to make music in which he pretends to not be

hip hop is all about acting anyway imo fuck "realness"

yeah that's not what you said in your post at all
you could have just wrote "rappers should be honest with their opinions" if that's the point you wanted to get across
What your post stated was "being homophobic makes your music better therefore homophobia is a good thing"
>hip hop is all about acting anyway imo fuck "realness"
are you even the same person as cause your blatantly contradicting yourself

no I'm not the same person

>rap music
>experimental

>I wanna fuck her but she play more games than the NBA
>A++ Lyricism
Can't really tell if you're being facetious or not

>Punchline rapping stays true to the roots of hip-hop much more than conscious shit, which has always been a sub genre of a very braggadocios genre.
Fuck you with your conscious shit is a subgenre, the braggadocious shit is a subgenre. Ready to die and pimp didler ruined hip hop!!!!

Kek

I mean, can't we all agree that rap as a whole is more or less only different when it's involved with a different genre? I mean shit is enjoyable. Besides, it's nigger music so what does it matter to Cred Forums anyway?

kys

Why would rap music matter any less to Cred Forums than rock or any other genre?

>four exclamation marks
are you 9

Nah I'm 37

someday he'll have an emotional moment while listening to codeine crazy

>eminem
>snoop
>50 cent
>good

He still does it sometimes; on his verse on Compton he says, "I even make the bitches I rape cum" then "I'm just waiting for someone to say something." That whole verse was a throwback to his old self though, he even did it in one take.

baiiiiit

Man talk to you irl about music must be cringy

Yeah man all these modern rappers wearing dresses, none of the old school rappers from the glorious 90s wore dresses they were all extremely masculine and didn't use their style of dress to stand out.

>aggressive and experimental

how did you misread 'white' as 'aggressive'

Mexican rap is good.

>talking trash

rap is literally in its golden era

you are using young thug as an individual case study to extrapolate his recent behavior as all of rap's recent course

you are a stupid fucking loser with a small window into the entire genre of rap

this was only a couple years ago, young thug just does alot of drugs fuckboy dumbass loser

listen to more rap before you come around here talking shit

listen to billy woods faggot, your "classic" artists list is only skimming the surface

try big L, grand pubah, de la soul, tribe called quest, hieroglyphics

you're a fucking noob im drunk so im on one and i want to talkl real OONGA BOONGA COON TUNES tonight while you are just a fucking dumbass fucking noob

pic related, young thug breaking the barriers of modern hip hop

nice

just because it's not drone and noise and quarter tones doesn't mean its not experimental

Lol you sound like every Youtube commenter ever, good job embodying their full fledged autism into a Cred Forums post. Pretty well done.

this is what happens when people who don't put man hours into listening to music post on a music board

thinking on a tangent

You forgot about Roach God.
soundcloud.com/conortheroachgod
reverbnation.com/conortheroachgod
roachgod1.bandcamp.com/

stop dude

Aesop Rock's been making awesome shit since 96 and will still punch you in your shit

rap stagnated, especially those reliant on their (pseudo) intellectual lyricism that often comes off as contrived. but your post is ultimately just an ill-informed thread. the YG album from this year is pretty hard. I'm glad hip-hop has given rise to these artists like young thug and those in the trap scene and they deserve their recogniton despite their lack of lyricism. trap remains the most rhythmically interesting form of hip-hop and the producers and those behind the mixing/mastering are doing work and deserve to be profiting from the mainstream appeal.

i've been on that bandwagon for a long time glad to see another aes head

pro tip: they never listen, they hate music

>despite their lack of lyricism. trap remains the most rhythmically interesting form of hip-hop
this is why you're a retard

>has opinion
>YG
>opinion invalidated immediately

how little do you actually spend time listening to music

>Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Snoop, 50

Either this is bait, or your normie levels are off the scale.

Public Enemy, N.W.A., Nas, Wu-Tang and De La Soul are light years ahead of the ones you listed.

aesop rock is a thesaurus that gained sentience

hip hop is dead

great argument

>thesaurus meme

HA you are still fucking using that aren't you pathetic little fuck

I'm twice born, once in 7-something
Once as the resurrection of honorable function
Been shoveling coal as the engine's doctor
Long enough to see my silhouette acquire a permanent kink in the posture
The maintenance of icicle spirit by the warmth of true endearment
Was, is, and forever will be a luxury
I'm a sovereignty columnist fathering doom document
Curséd version of a certain Virgin Mary womb occupant

Aesop Rock speaks in plain fucking english, in layman's he is speaking in particular of a struggle in this verse and claiming he is the messenger or the bearer of bad news in a sense

>he thinks hip hop is experimental now
>he thinks muh noise muh reverb muh psychedelic beats isn't an approach that's been done to death
>implying hip hop following shitty indie trends makes it the best genre to listen to
Since when has "experimental" meant "sightly weird pop music"? What the fuck?

NWA is trash

i didn't know aesop rock stans existed

youtube.com/watch?v=vKgEZhfXZMw

Another Aesop song in plain fucking english criticizing the institution of religion

unparalleled

what?

Aesop Rock has nothing to say
>dude im just so deep like metaphors and shit

what?

Can you read?

lazy troll

here you go pal, do you even listen to music or do you need an adult to do all the work for your fucking loser ass

By the time I was old enough to know what religion was
I was Catholicism-numb and truly didn't give a [F***!]
'94: Moved out the crib and it ain't seen a steeple since
What Knievel-evil seeps in a Christian leader's pitch
'Till priests' laps slapped with parental advisory warnings
I'll be auditioning Gods in my office on Monday morning

member good rappers? member? i member

lel these lyrics are so fucking tryhard

leave

youtube.com/watch?v=IFogA7Z6DMc

Hail Mary Mallon is pretty dope too.
I like this part

Start a wrong place / wrong time club
Might get, two peace fingers thru an A-OK sign fucked

you just made a post addressing the voices in your head pretending that experimental hip hop doesn't exist

you're opinion is shit and you need to listen to more hip hop before trying to have an opinion

youtube.com/watch?v=76tNF9GKiTo

Lil Yachty - "Nigga touch my gang we gon turn this shit to Columbine"

post better lyrics troll

you're fucking braindead you can't do anytning but naysay

waka flocka flame - "when we hit the scene better jump the line or we gonna turn the parking lot into columbine"

Underground shit from the Columbus area is basically the best thing that ever happened to rap imo

youtube.com/watch?v=-7u0wWcvabY

the rhythm is in the lyricism

wat

This is the worst thing I have ever heard

eh, the structure is so DURR DURR DURR DURR
i think its more interting when the vocals contribute complexity to the rhythm instead of being like enslaved by it

Correction, Odd Future (or just Tyler the Creator) was to hip-hop what nirvana was to rock. In a genre crowded with excess and machoism, an artist emerges who is violent and dangerous, but also insecure. Attracts sad kids who say the "the music speaks to me" and edgelords who just want to be reckless. Opens the mainstream doors for other artists, in rock the alternative and grunge, and in Hip-hop, the backpack/sadboy rappers.

The defense is drowned now, the consensus is pretentious realms
Crowd around the fences of the town while the defenseless drown
In blood sweat and tears, for fears my mom is killing
Honestly I promise I never wanted responsibility
Pull the plug, she's full of drugs and love is just a fantasy
So my skull is muck, shrug and give hugs to all my family
Consumed in this room, I assume soon the blood will spill
From the womb to the tomb in minutes, it only cost a couple bills
I guess you love me enough to kill, still, why'd it have to be
Me, and why are you mad at me? And why'd I die a casualty
So casually, it's sad to see, cause you could've had your seed
Instead you had to bleed for greed
I'm burning sacks of weed, in rememberance
Mom is tense and she's confused in sentiments
With illusions using common sense, you abuse intelligence
Twisted use irrelevant, but who's looking through the telescope
Tell it to pope selling hope, one day you'll choke and smell the smoke
Tell it in a joke, dead the eggs and throw away the shells
Halfway to hell, spread your legs and then you made him swell
More birthdays to sell, cast the spell and make them bind
Wait in line for your place in heaven, my mother paid for mine
With chump change, the diapers rationed for fashion fast humps
Exchange with vipers asking for carcasses in trash dumps
Garbage bin spin on the fetus price
I cried in your skin mom, I'm your Jesus Christ
Look, I died for your sins

modern hip-hop is commercialized, brain-dead garbage. anyone trying to say otherwise is a plebeian pitchfork drone who doesn't actually like music.

Why what's wrong with Travis Scott?

Is there something wrong with liking that? They don't write it like that if people didn't like it

Heres your (you) you dick riding faggot

not soulja boy and his wave of dance hop

>They don't write it like that if people didn't like it
yeah that's why it's called pop music, as in popular. hip hop was created as a countercultural movement. it used to be used as a way of protesting and sticking it to the man. But now it has been integrated into the very system that it was originally trying to critique, just like punk. it's hypocritical shit that's just looking to exploit simpletons like you. people like future or young thug may as well be taking a piss on the founders of hip-hop

you might have gotten more responses if you didnt have yachty in there. GJGE

do you even listen to rap? outside of the radio?

same can be said for pop, rock desu

all depends on where youre looking at

Thats literally all genres of music though. Theres always going to be some number of artists who are using the music they make solely to get paid; usually with a label's help.

>Theres always going to be some number of artists who are using the music they make solely to get paid
yeah but the problem is that those artists are still being hailed as talented geniuses when in reality, they're just shitty sell-outs

except EDM trap is derived from Southern rap production styles of the mid-2000s (TI, Gucci Mane) and not the other way around.

Youre not wrong. Their lyrical content is so elementary, its almost satirical. Like they're aware that their effortless-ness will make them millions.

But the style is interesting. Definitely more experimental than "old school" rap (not the 4 note instrumental songs, but the mumble,singing, dark tone thing). However, there are much much more experimental rap artists that aren't famous which kinda makes these guys seem insignificant to anyone whose dug a bit for their music.

I wouldn't blame the artist entirely, sure they're making the music, but look at who's listening to it. Every high-schooler, college student, and anyone who enjoys a nice crossfade on a tuesday night.

And i'm on no high horse. There are a few Thugger and Desiigner songs that I think are good for what they are. But are they geniuses for making them? nah. many artists have made good singles before. aint nothing new

wow haha lol this guy knows about a tribe called quest and de la soul.. impeccable taste and the way he looks down upon the other guy while demonstrating that he didn't just do exactly what the post he's condemning did.

rap started trap music, EDM follwed, look it up

tell me more