ITT: Underrated Smiths Albums

Having real, honest-to-god, backing vocals was a really nice touch, it's too bad Morrissey didn't do it more often

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wpLtVpzNhyU
youtube.com/watch?v=NRBY41OuIvE
youtube.com/watch?v=jwpayJhiH6w
youtube.com/watch?v=WvJmEIJRxpg
youtube.com/watch?v=CRvA4TFLlEk
youtube.com/watch?v=wzwxUVOd6uo
youtu.be/jo6hCt8zv88
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what fukin record is this m8

It's George Best by The Smiths

what is this record i dont know about it

are you just trying to say it sounds like a smiths record and making the claim that it's better than any smiths record

People make fun of this one because it sounds like a knock-off Smiths record but you have to respect Johnny Marr for completely stripping down his guitar tone. Is it a good last album? no. Is it better than most jangle pop of the time? yes.

I can't imagine a world where they make more albums after this. it's definitely my favorite of the post-strangeways grasping-at-straws era of the smiths, but god reading about the recording of this album is frightening. Mike Joyce easily could have had to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair after morrissey threw him down the stairs for not "playing a strawberry."

No, because I'm not OP
(It's actually by the Wedding Present)

strawberry like beefheart vs. the magic band

Good album. Reminds me a lot of the Smiths mixed with Fishmans.

i could believe it

Where is the current band in current year that will make an album called Memphis Depay?

I thought Anorak City was an interesting direction for the Smiths to take, it's a shame that they went into a cocoon of conventionality after that, though. You Should All Be Murdered is especially bad, Smiths-by-numbers, with pretty terrible lyrics by Morrissey's standards. I don't get how the label let them release that.

Morissey should have said goodbye to Marr & the others and started a solo career instead of releasing this last mediocre effort desu

Who vs the what?

Nowhere because Depay is neither inspiring or iconic.

It's understandable, at least. I believe in autobiography he states that a lot of the lyrics on these later albums were taken directly from the diaries he kept in his early teens as he was struggling to remember what it felt like to feel sad. we're lucky at least Marr is still putting out quality solo material. I used to be one of those Moz worshippers like you often see on here but after reading more about Morrissey and listening to the music all of them have put out since the breakup, it's clear he was not only the weakest link but just a genuinely terrible person. Have you read his wikipedia page? here's an excerpt:
>"Morrissey was described by some friends and colleagues as racist. His bandmate Andy Rourke described him as "Nazi-esque", saying: "Every once in a while there'd be something about Carnivores and I'd be, 'But Morrissey, I'm a meat eater,’ and he was like 'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.' he had a definite Vegetaryan streak, [the belief] that he was physically, spiritually and creatively superior", a view he appears to have continued to maintain throughout his later years. According to Rourke, Morrissey once attacked a woman eating a hotdog in a restaurant with a smashed wineglass, saying “Meat is murder”. During a performance at Coachella, the audience rioted after Morrissey Refused to perform after he smelled meat being grilled in the audience.[23]"

>Andy Rourke
>'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.'

he totally meant andy, didn't he

what's with the blog?

This one was a pretty interesting attempt to diversify their style. Rourke and Joyce have great voices, and I wish Morrissey's ego had let them do backing vocals more often. Fall On Me is especially beautiful, though I could do without the Rourke-lead on Superman, which was a stupid song for the Smiths to cover anyway.

Atleast he's contributing to a thread with actual content.

ok

I'm not sure I like implication of this thread that all jangle pop is indebted to the Smiths. It's not as if they invented the sound - Orange Juice and Postcard Records emerged in 1978, well in advance of Morrissey.

The Wedding Present and Another Sunny Day, at the very least, are very indebted to the Smiths, though. And REM gets compared to them a lot, in my experience

the smiths invented the smiths sound, all that other jangle pop is just indie shit. take for instance C86. 90% of that is unlistenable tripe

>C86
>unlistenable tripe

this is a bad opinion tbqh

it has what, velocity girl and hmhb, the rest is filled with amateuristic bandwagoners

felt isn't even on it

is this the jangle pop thread

youtube.com/watch?v=wpLtVpzNhyU

>therese
>law
>breaking lines
>it's up to you
>celestial city
>this boy can wait

The Smiths definitely made it much more potentially profitable. iirc "This Charming Man" was Marr's attempt to write a song as good as "Walk Out To Winter". The Smiths also had a major impact on the imagery of Indie music which is what this thread is about imo. that and alternate history jokes and japes.

The Dentists - I Had An Excellent Dream
youtube.com/watch?v=NRBY41OuIvE

The Bodines - Therese
youtube.com/watch?v=jwpayJhiH6w

The Three O'Clock - With a Cantaloupe Girlfriend
youtube.com/watch?v=WvJmEIJRxpg

R.E.M. - Gardening At Night
youtube.com/watch?v=CRvA4TFLlEk

Scrotum Poles - Pick the Cat's Eyes Out
youtube.com/watch?v=wzwxUVOd6uo

felt sucks

i can't decide which smiths album i should put out in my car