Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Why haven't the leftists lynched them over this blatantly racist name? Is it because Efrim Menuck is Jewish and can do whatever he wants?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikiwand.com/en/God_Speed_You!_Black_Emperor
youtube.com/watch?v=31ziDxbcSj8
vimeo.com/79536243
reddit.com/r/gybe/comments/4aq6lt/what_does_godspeed_you_black_emperor_mean_to_you/
youtube.com/watch?v=kso9IU7_yy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally what? they're named after a japanese motorcycle gang jfc

Efrim is such a douche

wikiwand.com/en/God_Speed_You!_Black_Emperor

jesus OP, read a fucking book or something

what do you think the name means to the band?

How is their name racist in anyway?

>trying to derive personal meaning from post rock band names

leftist here. I don't consider the name racist and if it were I doubt too many people would be offended.

Efrim is awesome.
Have you seen any interviews with him?

youtube.com/watch?v=31ziDxbcSj8
He's actually pretty chill desu.

Even at his most angry and frustrated, he's still restrained: vimeo.com/79536243

>saying the word black is racist
why is the alt-right so embarrassing?

It's making fun of black leaders for not being good leaders

what do you think "Godspeed" means

it's a sarcastic godspeed.

The documentary name isnt sarcastic, but the band name certainly is. They picked it because it's funny

Is this post trolling?

I challenge you to watch footage of Obama being elected president while you say the band name out loud without sounding
sarcastic. Record it and upload it to youtube and I will give you a million dollars if you succeed with this challenge

Dude, do you have any pre-existing mental conditions? This whole thread feels dangerously like an /x/ post.

good b8

do the challenge and prove me wrong. It should be easy for you

I used to think he was cool until I saw his interviews

The name was founded in fucking 1994, long before Obama as president was even a fucking thought! It was taken as the name from a fucking BIKER FILM, punctuation and all about the "Black emperor" biker gang who are in fact japanese kids on Motorcycles.
It has NOTHING to do with race, Godspeed have never, ever once mentioned race in their liner notes, never.
What, do you think this is some kind of "jewish conspiracy"? Jesus christ, I just reread the OP post, it fucking must be, what the fuck is wrong with you?

This HAS to be b8.

Now mu has a very low tolerance to obvious baits.
I wonder if their albums names have any meaning... They all sound so random

op's post is obviously a joke but his point about the name being racist is true. If you're a racist yourself and say the name out loud it will always sound sarcastic to you

You know, that does bother me a little...
Why couldn't they give normal names to their songs and albums... Not something i can barely read like {blurIII] on topp of gukiver +_(part b) 87as mobs

you have to be a nazi to understand their cryptic messages

He's not the same person you think he is. I realized that after watching Come Worry With us, the low budget Silver Mt Zion doc which he's not the focus of. He's really just a shy idealist.

eh 50/50. Listening to Silver Mt Zion and reading some of the stuff in their album work makes it a little easier, but heaven help any normal godspeed fan who figures it out on their own.

does the name have racist connotation or not?

F#A# is the ending of the vinyl version of the album, which has a locked groove and repeats those infinitely.

Skinny Fists is I suppose an expression of joy and happiness for life which it wants you to feel by the end, despite everything.

YANQUI UXO is the most obvious. Yanqui is spanish word for "Yankee" and UXO is a term for " Unexploded ordnance". I.e. after we invade other countries, the bombs and weapons we leave behind to hurt people for generations will be referred to as "Yanqui UXO".

Slow Riot was probably a title referring to how they wanted to start some kind of riot with the album. This one seems far out, but it seems kinda in line with the tone of "things are not okay" you get by the end of it.

Assunder and Allelujah I don't get yet.

NO.
N.O.
It does not.
They didn't even come up with the "black" part. That was the name of the biker gang from the documentary.

kekocaust

Hi again, OP reddit.com/r/gybe/comments/4aq6lt/what_does_godspeed_you_black_emperor_mean_to_you/

thats not an argument. Words have no definite meaning. Words mean what people think they mean. Plow didn't used to mean sex

that doesn't affect their intended meaning

you dont know their intended meaning. you just know where they got the name from but you dont know what it means to them. you dont know why they picked just that name.

i personally think that their intended meaning is the one that makes the most sense, which is the racist meaning

>Why haven't the leftists lynched them over this blatantly racist name? Is it because Mitsuo Yanagimachi is Japanese and can do whatever he wants?
when I saw them silver mt zion had a ~50 second explanation partway through the show about them all being jewish, but it not being a jewish band
someone post the efrim in a corner and
>does anyone have any questions

youtube.com/watch?v=kso9IU7_yy8
you cant tell me this isn't super hypocritical and douchy

>fucking
>fucking
>fucking
>Jesus christ
>fucking
>fuck

if its b8, it worked.

I saw Efrim Menuck at a record store in Montreal yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him any questions or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Arcade Fire albums in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the albums and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any multinational corporate infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each album and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by singing really badly.

>vimeo.com/79536243
dont bend ascend is about the 2012 QC student protest and possible also the Arab spring.

It's a call for celebration over the rising of the mass.

God speed you black kang

nice bait

It may also reference the 2008 Greek riots, indicated on the deadwax etches on the 7" of the album

kek'd at the end

>This HAS to be b8.

Well... it is!
And yoouuu fell for it.
Now you look like a jack ass

WE WUZ EMPERORS N

shiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeet

>F#A# is the ending of the vinyl version of the album, which has a locked groove and repeats those infinitely.

Almost. The 8 is the infinite loop at the end, but F# is the first note on side A and A# is the first note on side B.

>'This sounds cool af bois, let's use it as our band name'

Met him walking around Brooklyn after a show. Very nice guy. Shook my hand and appreciated me being a fan.

>you dont know their intended meaning
>i personally think that their intended meaning is...

Neither do you, so shut the fuck up.

It is slightly, but to be fair Godspeed is an instrumental band so there's not much they can do than obvious tricks like that, but they do so much with it and Silver Mt Zion never pulls that shit to my knowledge. Godspeed do use a lot of instrumentral tricks to make you feel good or bad, but to be fair a lot of those have existed for centuries in classical.
I do understand what he means about the lyrics feeling hollow.

Also he was asked, he didn't just start spouting off about the arcade fire.

I knew it was b8 and took the fucking plunge because this isn't the first time I've seen this.