It leaked.
What are your first impressions?

meh

new one eh?
last one i've listened to was heritage

it's shit

Is it another autistic rock album?

OP here.
I wish it was, their acoustic stuff was good.
Listened to this one only once and it left a very half-assed, shallow impression on me.
Probably their worst IMO

yeah it hasnt been a good year for most mainstream metal bands

>he wishes it was autistic

Fuck that's a beautiful cover

link?

Persephone : Just a random intro
Sorceress : cringe
The Wilde Flowers : pretty gay
Will O the Wisp : nice Jethro Tull rehash kek
Chrysalis : Nice song, Watershed vibe, the outro is really cool
Sorceress 2 : Steven Wilson rehash kek
The seventh Sojourn : WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIT
Strange Brew : It's like a jam session with psychedelic parts. I didn't like it, too messy for me.
A fleeting glance : pretty generic
Era + Persephone slight return : catchy song, I liked it

4/10

It's Pale Communion 2.0.

Some songs are okay but I really think Opeth reached their limits if they continue to suck 70's prog rock.

How can someone see that album cover and think "wow that's so edgy I, a well functioning adult, really want to listen to this"

Besides opeth fanboys, nobody

Same pile of shit that was Pale Communion. Same boring riffing, same boring major chords, shitty folksy songs. The only strong parts are few, almost inexistent, solos and guitar harmonies in between that reminded me Damnation somehow. At least Heritage had great melodies and guitar play.

Heritage > Pale Communion = Sorceress

4.0/10

Pale Communion had better songs; Eternal Rains Will Come and The Moon Above, The Sun Below are jams - still underwhelming

Sorceress hopefully will be the album that gets Opeth to stop with its bad reception

bump

Sometimes autistic is good

>Sorceress hopefully will be the album that gets Opeth to stop with its bad reception

Medias love to suck that band, it won't happen.

But musically, they are fucked. Akerfeldt won't be able to write something different than dudududuudududuu / folk part / dududududu / boring solo / dududududuu / the end

>Bad reception
Pale Communion has a 75 on metacritic for some fucking reason

>dudududuudududuu / folk part / dududududu / boring solo / dududududuu / the end

>It's Pale Communion 2.0.
jesus fucking christ, PC is the fucking opposite of Sorceress, what the fuck are you talking about.

>Pale Communion had better songs
>Moon Above, Sun Below
>better
you just pointed out the worst off that album.

here is the thing: Sorceress is Heritage 2 with heavier parts and cringe lyrics. songwriting is interesting and dynamic, but that's it.

then again, I prefer this sound to the "I'm a northern in the middle of the woods walking towards the moon" shit they did in the past. that was fucking predictable and only a few songs (Bleak, Dirge for November, The Lotus Eater) are objectively good and not just fucking plain pretentious.

also
>The Wilde Flowers : pretty gay
jesus fuck, you truly are autistic
>Chrysalis : Nice song, Watershed vibe, the outro is really cool
a way to spot a faggot: worst song along with a fleeting glance and era.
>The seventh Sojourn : WE WUZ PHARAOHS N SHIT
autism
>Strange Brew : It's like a jam session with psychedelic parts. I didn't like it, too messy for me.
literally the only 7+ song in the fucking album

Why so mad, friend? :)

Tge lyrics are pretty fucking bad on this thing. I mean I know it's Opeth and I should just ignore them but I can't recall them being this bad.

my dad didn't love me.

then again, I prefer this sound to the "I'm a northern in the middle of the woods walking towards the moon" shit they did in the past. that was fucking predictable and only a few songs (Bleak, Dirge for November, The Lotus Eater) are objectively good and not just fucking plain pretentious.

opinion discarded

Persephone: simple, upbeat, poor lyrics and poor female voice on it. forgettable
Sorceress: good songwriting, cringeworthy lyrics
The Wilde Flowers: OK song with a great second half
Will O the Wisp: poor vocal melodies, cringeworthy lyrics (read this for each song from now on)
Chrysalis: wall of sound, poor mix, poor vocal sounding, nice ending
Sorceress 2: the most Opethy of them all, bleak, calm and simple
The Seventh Sojourn: nice arabic scales; reminds me of The Throat of Winter somehow
Strange Brew: a fucking beast of a song, and hands down the best off the album
A Fleeting Glance: pretty boring, nothing to say about it
Era: read above
Persephone (slight return): just the outro for the previous one. Nice atmosphere, but nothing else.

6/10. I like it waaaaay more than Pale Communion, but still Heritage takes the lead with a 7/10

>liking songs for 18 years old that "just discover what music really is"
opinion discarded

This is bait

>judging music based on its fanbase and for whom would appeal instead of caring about songwritting
Cred Forums gets worse everyday

>songwriting
>intro, acoustic interlude, outro
yeah, it is fantastic.

Are you gay

Persephone: Spoken word ruins it
Sorceress: Scooby Doo-core
The Wilde Flowers: I laughed twice at this song during the first listen - I'd hate it if it wasn't so entertainingly bad
Will O the Wisp: Solid ballad, pretty nice
Chrysalis: Decent though forgettable
Sorceress 2: Forgettable
The Seventh Sojourn: Nice middle-eastern touch, reminds me of Storm Corrosion near the end
Strange Brew: Great drop, great ideas but it progresses like roadkill
A Fleeting Glance: Overshadowed by Strange Brew
Era: I got bored by this point
Persephone (slight return): Pointless, utterly pointless

4/10 - I hope Opeth stop

OK, so Opeth fans here please judge me. I like some of their previous work, but I'm in love with Heritage, kind of like Pale Communion and I'm really digging Sorceress. I think that what really makes me love their new direction is actually the production. I hate the sound of Ghost Reveries, Deliverance, Blackwater Park, Still Life... but like the songwriting. Am I a pleb?

>I hate the sound of Ghost Reveries, Deliverance, Blackwater Park, Still Life

Stop (just like Akerfeldt pls)

Nothing wrong with their production, what bothers you? Is it the growls, the metal riffing? There's no such thing as pleb... as much as I hate new Opeth, you listen what appeal you the most.

>Am I a pleb?
It's a mainstream metal band, we're all plebs. If you liked the last three albums check out damnation.

>Liking the production of Ghost Reveries
>stoping reading before I write "but I like the songwriting"
Is this bait?

Love the growls, and the metal riffing (well, most of it at least), but is the clarity and perfection of the instruments what I can't really love. Watershed, for example, is the perfect sounding album to me.

I love Damnation, especially the new mixing they did to it. Deliverance also IMPROVED A WHOLE FUCKING LOT with it, being a little more muddy, Watershed-like. The only albums I have left to listen to are the first three.

I listened to everything up to Watershed and nothing after. I loved these guys but that direction just seems so bland and boring. Am I correct?

Heritage is worth a shot, the others not so much.

Yes.
You take the bad Porcupine Tree songs and you mix them with some 70's progressive bands like Jethro Tull or King Crimson....but in a bad way because I love Jethro Tull and King Crimson.

This. Heritage still has Opeth soul. Bad songs here and there but great moments.

Yeah, Heritage is the comfy side of Opeth. But since PC is shit.

PC is indeed shit. Eternal Rains has a fucking A chorus and Faith in Others a fucking A intro, but that's pretty much it. What happened to them?

Well, I still have to listen to Sorceress. Is it any good?

It isn't, user

>Heritage is the comfy side of Opeth
is this the best way to explain that album I've ever read?

yeah.

just listen to heritage, intro song, man. if that's not comfy...

Well, I'll drink a beer in their memory. 16 years of glorious music.

Question is

If Opeth would've used a metal sounding style (Ghost Reveries as the perfect example) in recent albums, what would've happened?

>What happened to them?

One day Mikael decided to hate metal and thought it would be so edgy and elitist to shit on his own work.

btw Peter Lindgren's departure didn't help.

The real deal for me isn't if they are doing metal or not. The real problem is that their songwriting has gone to shit since Watershed (which still is a good record on its own way, and so it is heritage)
They've lost all their unique sound and have become a bland and generic act.

that replacement was necessary. it was Per departure that marked Opeth free fall

Strange Brew is godlike. But yes, I agree.

I wish they did Orchid 2.0

POST LINKS PLS

>I hate the sound of Ghost Reveries, Deliverance, Blackwater Park, Still Life... but like the songwriting
it's because they sound metal
please leave the hall.

so Watershed doesn't sound metal to you?

[spoiler]mega[dot]nz/#!9dwACbZb!GurH1lobo4lJD57OvO5s1FFZetOpECVDRgSadk-RD9s[/spoiler]

replace dot par . of course

its on rutracker