Soulless cover versions

I just heard the David Bowie/Mick Jagger cover of Dancing in the Street, it's hideously bad, I'm embarrassed for them that even Van Halen managed to make a more soulful and authentic piece of rock and roll.

Is there anything worse than "campy" (i.e commodified queerness) white men playing Motown to sell their trashy new albums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wTP89YIOcCk
youtube.com/watch?v=yvQF3uKeYYA
youtube.com/watch?v=CNbXvD7J6y8
youtube.com/watch?v=ocCYI7aJ9aw
youtube.com/watch?v=BHkhIjG0DKc
youtube.com/watch?v=yOlTZyulT18
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4N0oTlNp0
youtube.com/watch?v=FktNzLg_te4
youtube.com/watch?v=xvGChZw-Mss
youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY
youtube.com/watch?v=2IBqzFkecQw
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6Wc9IQ1w0
youtube.com/watch?v=4xKkfb5ABsc
youtube.com/watch?v=INH0N83ztg0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=wTP89YIOcCk

what did they mean by this

youtube.com/watch?v=yvQF3uKeYYA

literally why

it's such a good album

youtube.com/watch?v=CNbXvD7J6y8

Johnny Cash version of Hurt.
I've never really listened to Cash, and wasn't a fan of NiN but I do like Hurt. I disregard all statements of anyone who claims to prefer Cash's version.

Relatedly, when I heard Leonard Cohen's original version of Hallelujah for the first time, it ruined the popular version for me.

what you're literally the only one with this opinion ever. Johnny Cash version is haunting and beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=ocCYI7aJ9aw

Are you baiting? I feel like you're baiting.

White people should just avoid covering black music.

They have two options: cringey blackface impersonation, or cheeky ironic whitewashing.

Just stop.

>not playing the superior version
youtube.com/watch?v=BHkhIjG0DKc

You don't like Higher Ground by the Chili Peppers?

this is amazing though
youtube.com/watch?v=yOlTZyulT18

oh. lmao. blocked by the purple one

oh well

here it is
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4N0oTlNp0

Not only are these shitty for the reasons I mentioned, but it's also the classic "take a famous Top 40 song and make it EDGY" gimmick

how is it edgy?

everything about this post is correct

actually i fucking hate this shit

>muh segregation

no, just fucking stop, why shouldn't black people make 'white music' or vice versa? what's your problem with people enjoying one another's music and getting inspired by things other people do?
if everyone thought like you we'd still be banging rocks together

I'm assuming you posted Purple Rain. All the "gritty" lofi shit and the obvious trip hop influence speak for itself. Maybe it's not blatantly edgy, but this is Hot Topic-tier music for the refined listener.

explain what's edgy about 'trip hop' without being edgy yourself

go on

This

You're missing the point. Black artists performing "white music" are usually just doing music that was black music in the first place. There is no impersonation or ironic distance required from them like there is for white artists.

Almost all of it relies on gritty lo-fi sounds, gimmicky juxtaposition and underground hip-hop/electronic production approaches.

you're just smelling your own stench

William Shatner's Common People.
Way, way too American sounding.

this is great

>gimmicky juxtaposition
but this is tautological, because you have to start with the assumption that combing these elements is gimmicky to begin with

it all stems from you thinking these two cultures should be separate, but you still haven't provided any reason that they should

*not to mention the fact that prince was already doing juxtaposition with purple rain (apparently that's fine)

Plenty of people think the Cash cover is overrated. I, like many others, didn't fall for the "it's an old man singing, it's SO EMOTIONAL" bullshit.

get off my board, faggot

No, I'm specifically calling trip hop's juxtaposition gimmicky. There's nothing wrong with juxtaposition itself.

I find the juxtaposition in most trip hop comparable to bands like Evanescence, where a "pretty" melodic part (often female vocals) is recontextualized into something "haunting" by the "dark" or "gritty" music around it. It's corny and lazy.

so when you say 'trip hop' you basically mean 'portishead'
which is ok, i hear that a lot

i know what you mean, but stina was doing
> a "pretty" melodic part (often female vocals) is recontextualized into something "haunting" by the "dark" or "gritty" music around it
before they were

so does it matter?

Trent Reznor's word
>When i first listened to it, i didn't like it, it didn't seem right
>then i saw the video and realized it's not my song anymore

It's hilariously over the top, the type of thing you see on your conservative mother's facebook

>so when you say 'trip hop' you basically mean 'portishead'
No. You just pointed out what you posted is an example of the same thing, and there's other examples of the same thing. I know this style isn't ALL of trip hop, but it's probably the most well-known and imitated.

>so does it matter?
Who came first is irrelevant, the juxtaposition just doesn't work for me, and I feel like it appeals to people just starting to venture into "more sophisticated" music than the shit they listened to in high school.

Buckleys hallelujah blows everything out of the water. Do agree with your assesment of hurt tho

>but it's probably the most well-known and imitated.

have you got an example of another trip hop artist who sounds like that? (actually a bit curious as i only know of portishead)

> the juxtaposition just doesn't work for me

right, so "i don't like it" then
that's fine

gonna end this laughable feud right now and just say that Stina Nordenstam is best and this is now her thread.

Nah

just posting this to get some opinions really
i think it's fucking cool but a lot of elliott smith fans hate it
youtube.com/watch?v=FktNzLg_te4

I will fight anyone won't admit the Alien ant farm version of Smooth Criminal is terrible

bait

>to sell their trashy new albums?

It was made for Live Aid you fuck.

>Not only are these shitty for the reasons I mentioned, but it's also the classic "take a famous Top 40 song and make it EDGY" gimmick

*cough*MegadethTheseBoots*cough*

youtube.com/watch?v=xvGChZw-Mss

Did you know supposedly Jagger's wife at the time caught the two of them doing...ah, ha ha ha oh boy...

It just sounds like a hard rock band at a local bar. Melvins should just stick to being gods of sludge.

Massive Attack has a lot of songs with female vocals (Mezzanine for sure), Bjork has a lot of trip hop influenced songs, just to name a few off the top of my head. There's definitely a lot more examples than that.

>right, so "i don't like it" then
Well yeah, I can explain why I find it edgy, but it all boils down to subjectivity.

youtube.com/watch?v=wkWo2srE7nY

This cover of hurt.

I will always say that Nine inch Nail's version is the best version out there, Johnny Cash's is kind of over the top and simplistic when compared to original, but it actually respects it.

This crap? This is fucking shit and great disgrace to this amazing song, fuck you Leona Lewis, I don't even know who you are. But I know you did a shitty work.

I've seen female YouTubers handle Hurt covers better than this shit.

Trent is that kinda guy that can change his opinion very quickly.

Trent didn't like the song at first, he only got emotionally baited by the music video, at first he heard the cover itself without video and he was still unsure.

Trent still plays the song every time to close his concerts, which leads me to believe that he probably did not mean what he said here 100%. Keep in mind that he was still recovering from him being too fucked up to care anymore.

I think it's good. I mean, it makes me more suicidal than the original with how awful it is. So I guess it accomplishes that.

I have no idea why you're worked up about this. Its not even awful.

> It's not even awful
> I wear this crown of..line is enterially removed
> Pop build up for Hurt

It's just generic as hell and has no grit to it, this isn't what "Hurt" is supposed to be.

Gary Jules' Mad World. Completely missed the irony of the original and added a slow sad piano to hammer home the fact that this song is sad

somene should do a Hurt cover but in the style of the theme music for Thomas The Tank Engine

The piano was nice...her voice is nice. She made this song to sell records probably or because she liked the original, not to appease literal aspie children like u.

Trent had also worked closely with Mark Romanek, who directed the Cash Hurt video. Romanek directed Closer & The Perfect Drug videos

this is pretty awful
youtube.com/watch?v=2IBqzFkecQw

Oops meant to reply to

this one as well
how did this even get released
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp6Wc9IQ1w0

> Can't even respond properly to the right comment
> "u"
> ...

I think you're the autistic fag here.

And yeah, she did this to sell records while not knowing what the song is, what it actually is. Sorry. I am not ok with something great being turned into generic shit.

Okay this one is actually awful

Yeah. The guy's awesome, I doubt Johnny Cash's "Hurt" would have been so popular without his amazing video clip. Just go and listen to the song while paying attention to the song itself, it's not special, really. NiN's version has far more layers and emotical range.

Dude you need to chill

So, you are ok with original and unique songs filled with honest painful emotions being turned into money grabbing garbage? When you go into a song like Hurt with an inted to cover it you have to show some respect and you have to know what you're doing.

trent reznor detected

> I've become so salty and triggered people actually think I'm Trent.

Ok, enough of posting for this day

>implying
youtube.com/watch?v=4xKkfb5ABsc

Sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=INH0N83ztg0

Incredible, they managed to find a third route: sing so bored and detached that you don't convey anything.

The jamming is fine, but also entirely unrelated to the original song.

>literally does both things I mentioned