it's one of those records Cred Forums overrates it
it's good, but not as good
6.0/10

Who is this? Asking for a friend

James Ferraro

Perhaps it's not very good?

Returnal is the best

But why does Cred Forums overrate it?

I'm the same way. Replica is in my top 10 sample based albums of all time but I C\can't stand R+7 or GoD, they both just seem wildly incoherent to me and I'm sure I'll be called a pleb for thinking this

Because p4k said it was good and Cred Forums doesn't know shit about electronic music

Also it seems artsy

>listen to R+7, GOD
>LOVE them

>listen to Replica
>bored to death
????

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(at least it has a nice cover art)

Let me explain it to you.

It's praised because he conveys so much emotion through very limited sound; his use of short, repetitive samples and relatively limited song structure contrasts with the huge waves of emotion that overcome the listener. Or that's the idea anyway.

Replica was universally acclaimed and a milestone in plunderphonics. His early juno-60 fuckery doesn't even come compare in the slightest.

I actually have a theory about why this might be the case, because we're not the only ones. I think the listener will have different nostalgic signifiers that depend on the listener's age.

Am I right to assume you're a little older for this board? Like, later 20's/early 30's? I'm an oldfag and the sampling of commercial dvds resonates with me because I grew up in that era, but younger kids that gravitate towards vaporwave have a nostalgic connection to the Roland Juno preset sounds that were used in pretty much all multimedia in the early to mid 90's.

Tl;dr: Depends 100% on age but OPN does a convincing job of accessing each era effectively

idk, I'm early 20s and I like all his albums. I think you're overthinking it

>I think you're overthinking it

I'm just generally interested in why certain people gravitate towards the things they do. But how would you rank Replica, R+7 and GoD?

Shit?
Tryhard?
Edgy?
Deep?

I doubt it. I was born in 1992 but don't generally care much about nostalgia shit. I love all his work though. It's not just trite nostalgia artificial tearjerker attempts (like most people making vaporwave and simpsonwave and other meme shit), because he takes things out of their original context and hyperexaggerates, juxtaposes, adds, subtracts, whatever, to create something both original and familiar.

I think it can be appreciated even by people who didn't watch media or hear synths of that era. Plus, he's done lots of great songs that don't use samples or clichéd timbres at all.

Heavy sample manipulation to create something with a very comfy atmosphere. Sure you've heard a Bunche of comfy electronic albums that either rely on patchwork (Aphex, BoC) or jazzy feel (a LOT of trip hop/downtempo/instrumental hip hop in the vein of Nujabes) but few that do the kind of sample work that's on Replica.

Replica > R+7 > GoD. All great though, and I could probably put them in any order.

He skell, ther u go

It can take multiple tries.

Some people find his work ADHD or schizophrenic or whatever, but it usually isn't. He just makes unconventional use of rhythm and meter. The only legitimate complaint is that songs on albums sometimes don't transition that smoothly into the next, but that applies to a lot of artists.

Reroll

>don't generally care much about nostalgia shit

Maybe not consciously but you even acknowledge that he creates something both original and familiar, and I believe that familiarity plays a large role for the listener on some level

That's part of the apoeal, yes, particularly for Replica and Eccojams. But GoD doesn't rely on any of that.

This only works if you were there to experience some of the samples he used. I moved to the USA when I was 9, and while I have been here far longer than my country of origin, I was certainly not here to experience some of the commercials and things he samples.

I am not the guy you're discussing this with, but for sure not everyone has that same exact experience.

This makes zero sense as even the most generic of radio pop can make people feel that. Such a connection is based on the consumer not necessarily inate of the artwork itself.

I would argue that it does. It's his skewed take on grunge music, and there are strong grunge signifiers all over GoD

>compares ambient/plunderphonics to radio pop

Fuck you.

Point is still made. Muh emotional connection is made by the person observing the art, not the art itself.

>This only works if you were there to experience some of the samples he used

Gonna go ahead and disagree with you there. There was a specific style of music used in 80s commercials that aesthetically could only exist in that era. I have no firsthand experience of the commercials he sampled and Replica still has a very 80's commercial vibe to it. I can picture Power of Persuasion being the backing music to a jewelry store advertisement

Without resorting to looking up exact samples, what allows you to make this conclusion?

Which conclusion? That the listener does not need to have firsthand experience of the samples used in order to create a nostalgic connection to the music for the listener? I'm living proof senpai

Again, is it just because of your preconceptions of the 80s? How does one feel nostalgia for something that they never experienced?

Muh arpeggios can only remain interesting for so long. R+7 is just average.

>How does one feel nostalgia for something that they never experienced?

The same way I can be nostalgic for a jazz song sampled in a hip hop beat without ever having heard the original song. It creates a feeling from a specific era and recognition of the music of that era evokes a certain feeling. That's the definition of nostalgia

You are remembering something you never truly had to remember. You're feeling nostalgia for something you never experienced so the feeling of "damn, those were some times back in the days" doesn't technically work. Just because something evokes something of an earlier time period doesn't automatically make it nostalgic. All the 80s revival style shit, he'll revival style shit of any kind, or something like dungeon synth that often has legitimate medieval music influence would all be considered nostalgic. But then, I guess that's just your perspective, right? I don't think it's innate in the music; rather that's coming from you experiencing it.

Yeah, I think we're getting off track and starting a pedantic argument about what nostalgia means. My main point is that you don't have to have firsthand experience of sampled materials in order for the music to evoke emotions of a specific era, nostalgic or not

All I am tryna say in the end is that it is not a quality inate to the music and thus not everyone will feel it.

underrated post
#freetyler1

I mean, yes of course everyone's subjective experience will differ and people will like the music for different reasons, but as discussed here there is a familiarity inherent in OPN's music and he plays with those conventions. If you don't find things familiar/nostalgic/whatever, there will be other things to gravitate towards because he sequences his tracks in interesting ways, and that's fine. No one's going to jail for liking music the wrong way

> 'getting it' necessarily requires a high IQ
> he doesn't get it
>concluding that he doesn't have a high IQ

you're affirming the consequent baby-- it looks like you're not smart enough to get it.

Oh yeah I ain't saying that. In fact I like it due to the opposite reason in that I love how heavily the samples are manipulated and how that kind of music making is more cutting edge to me where every bit of the music is controlled to make the music itself sound like a living entity.

It makes me feel sad

Overrated as fuck.

Are there any other albums that consist of songs like sleep dealer and child soldier?

Not a huge fan of the ambient stuff

Like looking into a mirror and realising theres a skeleton inside if you???

no there is a skeleton BEHIND you

I'm 30 years old, R+7 blows my mind but Replica is eh

But where am I ?

you're the guy with the hand. notice that the mirror is tilted slightly so you can't see yourself in the reflection

The title track is the single greatest thing he's ever done and completely changes the album. You think all you're getting is samples when suddenly a melancholic piano piece hits you that gets taken over by buzzing drones. Just genius.

I don't get it

I personally over rate it because I like that sound/style. It's hard to come by in the way that he does it. Very few artists out there doing anything quite like that at his level. I guess it'd be like trying to find another artist like Death Grips or Radiohead or something...it's just hard to find anything like it because no matter how close a band comes to imitating it will never be ,

Let's all ignore this though and assume anyone that likes an album I don't get is a twat.

it's interesting how there's a big divide between post replica and pre replica works in his fanbase. honestly, everything he released after replica besides c2 btfo any of his earlier work