/Grimes/

They do realize deleting just makes more threads, right? edition

Discuss Grimes' music/career

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XmS4cKKn7G0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach#Musical_style
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE
rollingstone.com/music/news/grimes-rails-against-sexism-im-done-with-being-passive-20130424
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
instagram.com/p/7zmS38jfre/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honestly it's pretty weird. I don't see the reason of deleting this threads.

these*

They think that by deleting them, we will eventually leave Cred Forums but they couldn't be more wrong lol

Someone should honestly report that dumbass janitor.

trying to ruin the fun

the infidel to have bread broken with

headass

So what is Grimes doing nowadays? Touring? Training for the UFC? Working on new music?

Very slightly touring still, the last show was the Global Citizen thing I believe

UFC announcement was most likely a joke

She's always working on music when she's not touring and has a massive unreleased catalogue

youtu.be/XmS4cKKn7G0 another angle
there's also two webby awards interviews with a few thousand viees that you maybe haven't watched

How does she do it guys?

"The song is known for its harmonic sophistication and extensive use of inverted chords, including third inversions such as B7/A. The first chord of the verse (D major/A) is a non-diatonic chord. The tonic chord (E major) usually only appears with the major 3rd or the 5th in the bass. Stephen Downes named the song's "tonal plasticity" emphasized by the disuse of authentic cadences and root-position tonics as the reason for its "expansiveness". In musicologist Philip Lambert's opinion, the song's vocal counterpoint evokes the sacred traditions of a cantata by Johann Sebastian Bach or an oratorio by George Frideric Handel.Andy Gill of the post-punk band Gang of Four describes the composition:
It’s really very like the way classical music works, like a classical opera, say Lakme by Léo Delibes. The melody rises and falls while the echo of that melody, sung by another voice, intertwines with it. Then it goes back to the verse, with its own melody, which is a variation on the chorus melody. As that is sung, the background voices provide an abstract, disconnected harmony. All the time, upfront, is the poetic heart of the lyric.

-

The key gravitates between A major and E major,while the bass-line was written in a different key from the rest of the song. Music theorist Daniel Harris compared the song to an earlier Boucher composition, "Oblivion", as it both avoids a root-position tonic and suppresses a cadential drive. It also contains a step-wise descending bass-line like Boucher's other compositions on the Art Angels album. David Tomfield believed the barbershop flat seventh saved the song from "excessive sentimentality".
After its instrumental linking passage, the key ascends to its fourth interval. According to author Jim Fusilli: "Claire came pretty close to writing herself into a dead end. There's really nowhere to go coming out of the bridge, which modulates to G major from D major but ends with a D major–A major–B minor pattern. Thus, when the song returns to D Major, it must do so from B minor, which is kind of a static change, particularly when the next chord is a B minor with only a slight variation in the bass." Along with the 8+4 measure verse/chorus scheme, Downes called the idea of a "bridge section in a related key" standard for rock/pop music, but adds: "What is different here, however, is how the move to the subdominant in the bridge conditions the tonal behavior of the entire song, which, though nominally in E Major, is characterized throughout by a tension between it and A major." The "choral fantasy" during this key change eventually concludes that "a clear sense has eluded us for the entire experience–that in fact, the idea of 'key' has itself been challenged and subverted", in Lambert's opinion.
The song closes with perpetual rounds, a centuries-old technique that was not normally heard in contemporary pop music."

And what power do you have? You're not going to win.

Boucher

watch me, cunt.

watch me dance and win

kek, which track is that?

moar danthing Grimeth, plth

is grimes the great unifier?

something that Cred Forums, tumblr, reddit and something awful can all get behind?

I don't know if I feel comfortable liking Grimes' art as a member of a forum/board

but yeah, probably

Grimes? I love Grimes!

no you should definitely like it individually.

but that it's something that a ton of individuals of these major internet communities like and can make them stop slinging shit at each other for 5 seconds to discuss.

fwiw i'd never wear a tshirt that displays a website that i browse, but i DO wear my grimes geidi primes shirt for special occasions.

Are there any of these for classical or jazz music? That would be way more interesting than I-IV-V chord progressions, major scales and 4/4 rhythms.

MFW Grimes music comes on and I see her ugly disgusting face

I applaud the mods for ridding the board of a cancer worse than Kpop

Grimes is cute, CUTE!

Grimes will hit you with a hammer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach#Musical_style

Just try searching an artist you like on wikipedia and you might find something

fuck the jannies

No the opposite actually

go back with your corn teeth gf, faggot

Grimes will hit hammer with you.

>implying Grimes will not overpower you

maybe if you morons stop throwing in the "stop deleting the threads mods" theyll probably leave your shitty grimes circlejerks thread along

dumbasses

Man I should've bought a Grimes shirt when I was at this festival
seems as though none of these merch sites ship to Europe

ain't that the truth

Hi, newfag.

Why do u guys even like her?
Serious answers please.

She makes music that I like, and she does everything herself

- her music: it's pleasant, exciting, unique, dreamy, energetic, catchy, emotional
- her look: she's cute and beautiful in her own way
- her personality: she's a really nice person, with a big heart
- her quirkness: it made her even more interesting.
Forgot to add some secondary factors:
- she's a big nerd (LOTR, Dune, Star Wars, video games, Russian literature, etc)
- the fact she's a complete artist that does everything by herself
- she suffered for her art in the past. People love these stories where the underdog succeeds despite all the troubles
- her live shows are insane
- her music taste: last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
- her fashion sense: maybe not relevant to Cred Forums.

Jesus fuck.
Reported.

We'll never leave faggot

Just how 13 are you?

you dont fucking know her dumbass

out

Lol bye Montie

its just really catchy synth pop and she has a stellar personality

What do you think of her music videos?

youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

i like REALiTi and Oblivion mv

Grimes isn't the kind of person to hit people with hammers.

Her live shows really are fucking insane

I'm lucky to have seen her this summer shiiiiiiiiiiet

reminder that making posts that complain about the moderation staff are against the rules

>complaining
is not the same as
>stating a fact

Grimes is so fucking bad tho.
She has never made a good album and she's far from attractive. I've come to the conclusion that all her fans actually have mental disabillities.

i know enough

ok mister "taste is objective"

what's your favorite album
>inb4 its some shit band playing generic noise rock

k

agreed and this board should ban such autism from ensuing whilst knowing the FACTS

The Saint and the Sinner lady by Mingus

But I want Grimes to hit me with a hammer. What do?

great choice

Decent taste, actually.

A shame it's marred by you not appreciating god-tier pop music.

Even my least favorite album took more talent and creativeness to create than any of grimes albums.

She probably has a major career ahead of her in film directing if she decides to go down that route.

>appreciating god-tier pop music
>being worryingly obsessed over some mainstream dance artist

shes at the same level as people like twenty one pilots, musical talent, social status, tumblr-core etc

>Radiohead
>Talent and creativeness

IT'S LITERALLY JUST GENERIC WHITE DUDE MUSIC!! this nigga can't be serious

>It's literally just generic white dude music
>Says nigga
>Favorite artist is a Canadian weeb

Praise kek. Thank you for this magnificent kek I have just had.

>white dude music

tumblr and tampons are in the other direction

of all the rock bands you can choose from, you choose entry level hipster shit that only 20-30 year old white guys who pretend they have choice choose because they think it's edgy and cool.

absolutely pathetic.

test

Thread is shit. Reported.

and yet despite taking less talent and creativity (creativeness, lol) you still rank it lower than her albums.

simply ebin.

>obsessing over a mainstream pop artist and complaining about other peoples tastes and choices

has she ever charted?

Only to show you what your behavior looks like. You came into our thread, upset at the idea that someone likes something you don't like and acted like your taste was high and mighty. Then when I give you a taste of your own medicine (I don't actually give a fuck about what music you like) you complain and without an ounce of self awareness you try to paint me as the villain, unironically pushing my taste as the objective truth.

Seriously. How fucking sad and bored do you have to be that THIS is how you spend a Tuesday evening? At least have the self respect to have even a modicum of self awareness instead of immediately throwing a tantrum when someone shows you how fucking stupid you're being.

grimes is not mainstream pop artist

but she would, at the same time, not have a a problem with mainstream success

>our thread
>there is a villain in this situation
>berating me for my choices, read your first paragraph

this is awfully cult like

we're the biggest cult on Cred Forums and we sacrifice stupid numale hipsters like you on a daily basis.

begone, hater.

She is good but The Chainsmokers are better.

>calls someone a numale
>favourite artist is a radical feminist

outstanding

Only Selfie is good.

>Implying hating feminism isn't an exclusively numale thing
>Implying alt-right isn't a numale hipster movement
the lack of self awareness is astounding with you.

Wasn't aware this was a cringe thread

Daily reminder that she's an malnourished weeaboo.

welcome home user.

>Implying alt-right isn't a numale hipster movement

>favourite artist is a radical feminist
Talking out of your ass? Grimes has a lot of male friends and people think she is feminist only because of numale journalists from p4k when in fact she doesn't care about this shit.

Selfie is like the worst song ever

exactly. that pic is your average alt-rightist.

pic related is your average grimes fan enjoying a walk on the south french coastline.

rollingstone.com/music/news/grimes-rails-against-sexism-im-done-with-being-passive-20130424

>doesn't care
>grimes feminist stance

when will you cucks pack your bags and go to reddit?
:-)

Can someone please tell me what this is? It is almost spelled like the Danish word for like the best version of "happy"

>when will you cucks pack your bags and go to reddit?
when you suck a dog pen15 and get your facts straight

Ew, you faggots actually find this rat face attractive?

lykke li

the artist she was touring with at the time.

>"i have black friends im not racist!!"

same thing

feminism is not equality

yes

Thanks. Looked her up and she is Swedish so it all makes sense

Yikes. As I mentioned in the previous thread, she basically is a token female that is how she got so popular? And what is so amazing about her music anyway? For all we know the people who mixed and mastered her albums are the reason they are even good.

fucking lol

what a lame comment.

yup

>reading Nabokov in Russian
it better be one of the books he originally wrote in the language

she mixed and mastered all of her albums.

only art angels had an outside engineer.

You should probably consider killing yourself

>offers no legitimate response
>insults me

u ok?

No, according to Wikipedia people such as Sebastian Cowan has worked on all her albums for mixing and mastering. But Grimes did producing as well of some kind.

[citation needed]

>loses an argument/debate
>walks away *BLAH BLAH BLAH*

SJW tier nonsensical bullshit, back to tumblr please

in future open up to difference of opinion, it might change your life for the better

Actual Citation was not needed on the wikipedia page for the info I provided. I think you should give me a citation that she did all the production herself because it says otherwise.

sorry user, without an actual source you shouldn't trust everything you read on wikipedia.

You are stupid.

there was never a debate

there was just you being fucking stupid

back to ggchan with you.

People try to propagate empowerment which can often have contradictory and stupid means, they're upset and desperate for change. It's unfortunate journalist must have associated her political protests for their own brand of feminism but, people want to feel like they're making progress, it's not about her, it's not mean't to be. You should at least empathize with people for being so wrong, but you take it too personally, you reflect your frustration back onto them with dumb political memes, unironically ascribing them as "numale'. People are influenced out of vulnerability, you should care why they would interpret Grimes as something they need her to be, people respect her this way.

*Sorry I meant citation wasn't needed on the page. Meaning there was actual citations for it

dude 2016 lmao

>you are so stupid i cannot even speak with you about an issue
>no its not me getting triggered by a different opinion

outstanding

>mainstream dance artist
Mainstream? She barely sold 11K copies of Art Angels in the first week. Dance artist? Yeah, she dances during her shows, but her music isn't dance. It's synthpop blended with IDM, dreampop, R&B.

rinse and repeat

fuck you are really dumb
if your initial music is shit than mastering will not help you

OK what about mixing, big boi?

youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
one of her best songs and it's good even without being mixed or mastered

>mainstream pop artist
Get your facts straight. She never had a big hit and she's barely played on the radio.

>inb4 Youtube views

I've been putting this off way too long. I'm making a grimes folder now. are you happy?

Please post your most meme'able, must have rare grimes.

personally

doesn't make mainstrem pop

Redbull on Grimes. Why should I like her more than all the other mediocre artists with 2-3 good songs?

>asking someone to dump all the rare grimeses
>not spending weeks on patient and deep lurking to make your own collection

That's just not right, user.

>And what is so amazing about her music anyway?
Because it's emotional, unique, catchy, gloomy, reflective, experimental, otherworldly. Could you name real similar artists to her?

It's solid, it's just not something to overshadow her token female celebrity factor.

>grimes

Grimes haters, read this pasta and shut your stupid mouths!

GRIMES PROFILE

>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Instruments: vocals, synthesizer, sampler, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director & editor
- dancer
- model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- had some troubles in the past: drugs, 2 friends died because of overdosing drugs, sexual assault, shitty jobs, the professor who got her into a music program killed himself
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

:)

..OK I think I might have the wrong idea of Token, I mean like a sex symbol

do you think the user who made this still browses?

I don't give a fuck about "token female celebrity factor". Her music is great, this is what really matters. And if you want a proof (besides the obvious critical acclaim) explain to me why some classic beauties like CRJ or Katy Perry or Taylor Swift (which apparently look much better than Grimes according to haters) are so much less discussed compared to Grimes... Why?

Maybe he's dead already.

Because she has a whole lot more than 2-3 good songs.

She's the artist of the decade. Also this That should be enough to convince you to listen to her whole discography on repeat.

Those artisis had plenty of threads as well. But people have known about them a lot longer than Grimes. For Example, in 5 years people won't give a shit to make so many Grimes threads either. But I think Grimes is objectively hotter.

>For Example, in 5 years people won't give a shit to make so many Grimes threads either.
We'll see, user. It depends on her next album. In 2012 after she released Visions people said she will fade out. Obviously that didn't happen.

Why does Grimes arouse such a deep passion in everybody?

she's just that great...

they're all confused

>Those artisis had plenty of threads as well
Plenty of threads, but not one reaching the bump limit like Grimes. What Grimes has and those artists don't?

Grimes makes such amazing music that it inspires fans to get creative. They can imagine they are living in a world as magical as her music makes you feel. I think the "Grimes cult" stuff is like an expression of the creativity she brings out in her fans.

>Music Producer/ Vid Director. (will begrudginly sing and dance)...............
i'm loving her recent explosion of activity on twitter.

Tchaikovsky is better than both of them together.

>mixing and mastering
...fwiw are not part of the artistic side of music production in a proper sense. There is no "creation" of sounds involved. Just making sure that what is already there can be heard as intended by the producer (mixing) and further, to make sure that those same sounds carry over transparently onto whatever mediums of distribution (CD, vinyl, whatever) it is put on (mastering.)

no one hates her, just the annoyingly obsessive pervy fans

Will she be the first person to ever write a Dungeon Synth pop album?

Explain why. Just because he put a bunch of notes on a music sheet?

Her fans are voluntary slaves.

Because she is nice to look at I am telling you desu

agreed

Obviously not. She's taking advantage of their mental disabillities

Then why so many "people" called her a goblin, ugly, troll, whatever? It doesn't make any sense to be that discussed if she's considered ugly or plain. Maybe her music is actually great??

She'll never step close to her female contemporaries Holter or Newsom, yet you people try and raise the comparison with Brian Wilson himself.

Slaves? No one is her slave, dude. Appreciation =/= slavery.

I could say you're a slave to your favorite artist too (Death Grips or AnCo or Kanye or Swans, am I right?).

Lol they wondering about her face is actually them accidentally giving away the real reason there is Grimes threads. Sexuality. And no, her music wouldn't even be good as elevator music.

What exactly does it entail to be a sound engineer and to produce and master your own music?

Huh? Holter or Newsom make quite boring music, not really the stuff that incites strong feelings. Newsom has such a terrible voice, almost unlistenable. Holter is basically inoffensive. That's why you'll never see anyone defending her in the same way Grimes is defended. She's too plain.

But you being a Holter and Newsom fan can't see that.

>Sexuality
You're confusing the fans with those creeps that polute these threads. They're not the same people.

>And no, her music wouldn't even be good as elevator music.
Now you went full blown contrarian. If her music is good enough to most critics, it should be to you too. Unless you're a pleb and can't get into her music...

Holter got Grimes beat musically.

By good enough I meant super acclaimed.

How come?

>No one is her slave, dude.
I am her slave. She controls me and I do all that she wants.

what would she think of this?

I don't find her music to be that special at all, and is it well made? It just sounds like a jam session on FL Studio.

OK, then. That's only (You)r opinion. I hope you don't consider that unpopular opinion as a fact.

OK, then. That's only (You)r opinion. I hope you don't consider that unpopular opinion as a fact.

My opinion is not unpopular. Yours is it. As a matter of fact you're posting in her daily thread, a thread that wouldn't exist if her music would be derivative and non-special.

Her music is like a "neat" soundcloud song I found... yawn

>being this delusional

OK fine, Nightmusic is pretty dope.

>k-pop general
fucking retard

K-pop is about a whole genre, retard. Name another daily thread about AN ARTIST.

Fyi you got it the other way 'round.
instagram.com/p/7zmS38jfre/

Exactly

(I attached the actual picture.)

Death Grips, Mariana and the Diamonds, Kanye, NMH, Residents, Beatles, The Smiths, Animal Collective, St Vincent

grimo

>It just sounds like a jam session on FL Studio.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

he's just regurgitating a few choice buzzwords that he heard somewhere else on Cred Forums that he thinks are effective insults.

All of those are discussed every day but dont have generals every day

st vincent and marinara are the same thing as grimes just slightly less common

Fun Grimes fact (most of you regulars probably know it already)

She got her name from Myspace from the option where you pick your genre for your page. She picked Grime trice hence "Grimes"

Let me know if you wanna hear more cool Grimes facts

>st vincent and marinara are the same thing as grimes just slightly less common
And both are just spam threads at this point. You don't find music discussion at all. I remember the old days when people actually talked about St. Vincent's music.

Are you actually comparing /grimes/ to Marina and Annie threads? Are you crazy?

I knew that, but post more.

People on Cred Forums used to actually like StV, what happened?

Yes, tell us more Grimes lore.

In between albums. The music discussion will be back once StV will release a new album. Even /grimes/ will be more music related if Grimey releases some new music.

And by the way, StV was very respected just a year ago. Some mean trolls tried to ruin her reputation here this year.