/prod/: Music production general - Post your WIPs Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
clyp.it/5d53vpkg
clyp.it/styhmb10
clyp.it/4tibf0jh
youtube.com/watch?v=Vkhiw0ozYyM
clyp.it/p0zpwovz
youtube.com/watch?v=y6iHYTjEyKU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYvdkslzG0
youtube.com/watch?v=a4cX7iGM9y0
youtube.com/watch?v=7nlzwDfxVSg
clyp.it/emmcltli
buchty.net/ensoniq/
clyp.it/vepytzpv
youtube.com/watch?v=DYkNBSHdsdA
youtube.com/watch?v=yYCz06bS380
clyp.it/jlcogjr5
clyp.it/indiaymx
clyp.it/lp3wze0j
clyp.it/5d53vpk
clyp.it/ke34rutv
clyp.it/j0oud31k
clyp.it/4ds2hn2c
clyp.it/jwqlsiwm
clyp.it/ytxxcszm
clyp.it/5clwzbfd
clyp.it/ezf4sz2c
clyp.it/lycdar4n
clyp.it/n1rbg2wt
clyp.it/j4l401ul
clyp.it/faxyjiak
clyp.it/cb1jgrjd
youtu.be/pJseqQNQ_zA
clyp.it/wby53zau
youtube.com/watch?v=MZZkURXq5Y4
soundcloud.com/irrelzazier/insecam_1
clyp.it/g2oe2b0y
clyp.it/3a543dq4
amazon.com/Female-Male-Line-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002BF1KG
clyp.it/0jufhmhg
clyp.it/wjqcw34k
clyp.it/hxtwaxi1
clyp.it/3xsyic22
clyp.it/ojci1t5l
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3

I wish to be a producer

>/prod/weekend.wav

why are beatmakers called producers

clyp.it/5d53vpkg

how's the solo?

the same reason they use the word "acks". because they're uneducated and wrong, and it stuck.

clyp.it/styhmb10

going to die.

this is good. i don't know what it's good for, but it's good man.

>clyp.it/styhmb10
I never really like metal-y stuff but this sounds good

>started electronic music making at 16 thinking i'd go places
>the albums that got me into it were made by artists who were younger than i am now

Fucking internet distracting me all these years

r8 pls
clyp.it/4tibf0jh

it's a full song, but i didn't want to be a faggot, so i just posted this clip to showcase the solo that i finally got around to recording. thank you, though.

thanks. i really hate that i'm forced to record my guitars direct-in. don't think i'll ever be happy with amp sims.

i've been making music for 12 years, user. just keep at it. post some of your stuff if you haven't already.

not digging that guitar. i like the vocal sample that comes in. that harp part needs some reverb or something. not bad, though.

>musical excrement
>soundcloud link as title

>Looking through old forum posts about production and sound design

Holy fuck, what happened in the past decade where people got so clued up?

If you go back to '05 absolutely everyone was talking out their ass compared to today.

>If you go back to '05 absolutely everyone was talking out their ass
Because the average consumer has always desired software. Full hardware setups are for rich people. This, in 11 years software got WAY fucking better and consumer friendly. Soundcloud kiddies can bust out a trap track in an hour and make money off it thanks to how fucking easy it is to do.

example?

>Full hardware setups are for rich people

Any /reaktor/ in?

>mfw i want to make hip hoppy synth industrial music like youtube.com/watch?v=Vkhiw0ozYyM with a band but suck at suck at music theory and dont know how to play any instruments.
im okayish at sound design and like playing around with samples still not the best. have an old guitar and bout to start practicing. making music like that just sounds like a fucking blast

>tfw 5th reply in thread and no feedback

>Someone says how do I sound as good as x
>"probly sidechaining"
>"Alesis 3630 gives da sheen"
>(when someone asks how to get a pro drum sound) "U need to get it done by a professional mastering place"

i kept finding shit like this everywhere

clyp.it/p0zpwovz

I think the main instrument is too loud, but what do you think of this so far?

Im going to add in some more variation and work on the mix

>i want to make hip hoppy synth industrial music like

no you dont

/r/ piracy guide on DAWs

Is there an ultimate guide to getting good drum sounds from someone who actually has standards, not pete the bald gadget man at synthzone uk?

I know Kontakt like the back of my hand but I can never figure out how to get a kick like this: youtube.com/watch?v=y6iHYTjEyKU

I've tried layering lopassed drum machine BDs with a mid-range acoustic kick, then maybe a click/knock and some pitch decayed sine wave or drum replacement boom.

It's a fucking maze. Pitching samples up and down and switching the phase. Using subtle convolution, myriad EQs and parallel compression. Phasers and envelope shaping on the gain. I can never get it up to par.

go to bed sithu aye

it's just a short punchy kick with a sub bass, just combine the two

I don't get it.

It's not though

why not? the music is fun and i bet making it is even more fun.

At the risk of sounding condescending, you need to understand how low end works first, user. You can't just layer a bunch of kicks and parallel compress them and expect it all to sound good in a mix. Your kicks might sound weak because you have too many instruments fighting in the low end. I do pretty narrow boosts at around 70 Hz for all my kicks and narrow cuts at around 70 Hz from my bass guitars. That's usually a good starting point for me to help separate the two so they can breathe in my mixes. I compress my kicks with a pretty fast attack and release. Ratio ranges from 5:1 to 7:1 for me, depending on the sample.

Sorry i misquoted you instead of him.

It's a post-hardcore song, user :(. Not prog shit.

i know all that

Something tells me you aren't being truthful.

just sidechain it then

Aha. Very nice MASTER TROLL there, user.

Seriously, I know all that stuff and do it all the time. i wasn't asking for beginner advice on creating space for frequencies i'm asking how to sculpt a similar kick.

Then you need to be more specific in your post. Good luck with that.

nah i need someone else who can hear the kick and actually have some insight not someone repeating what they just learned at communtiy college

>rich people
I certainly don't feel rich. I have to make an effort not to pre order the tr-09 so I can pay my rent

sounds like a acoustic kick layered with some sub, and then side chained to give it that extra pump feel. hard to focus on that kick cause the bass and synths are super annoying sounding and killing my focus. spent about 20 minutes tryna recreate it and havent come close cause im using ableton stock drums for the acoustic part. im not an expert at reverse engineering so i cant really give you any advice that other guy hasnt

Project much? Why do you want your kick to sound exactly like the one in that terrible song anyway? I know, why don't you get the sample that they used and shove it up your ass? You have to be the biggest moron I've ever come across on Cred Forums. Kudos.

you should of been an abortion

its 1 sample

How was the sample made

probs sampled

see
ffs use your ears

you don't know shit

don't be so full of yourself, cunt

how is it full of myself to know when i don't know something instead of just spinning yarns?

oh so you don't know something but tell others they don't know it either. neat

first of all it's useless to say use a sample that sounds good because i want to figure out how to construct a kick like that

and saying basic stuff about competing frequencies is not going to make the kick sound like that, you can't drop stock samples in and make it sound like that.

>i want to figure out how to construct a kick like that
from what? scratch?
>you can't drop stock samples in and make it sound like that
actually, that's exactly what it is. good drums is 99% sample selection

>kick drum
>sub bass
>competing frequencies

you're just a cunt, good luck pal

see
> Your kicks might sound weak because you have too many instruments fighting in the low end.

that's what he said

listen to the drums on this rough version
youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYvdkslzG0

compared to this
youtube.com/watch?v=a4cX7iGM9y0

that's not just finding a good sample, it has the original drum machine in there either layered with something else or processed and it's a drastic improvement

what part of that isn't just samples and processing? sounds like the samples in the first one are the same as the second just pitched up and it isn't mastered

>it isn't mastered

please stop giving advice when you dont know anything

the first video is a mix and the 2nd video is mixed AND mastered. If u want a good polished sound u got to pay someone to master ur mix.

stop this shit at once please, the difference isn't because of mastering

Then please tell me, what is it? Oh ya that's right you DONT know. It's mastering buddy and you need an actual argument to dispute that fact.

youtube.com/watch?v=7nlzwDfxVSg

why would the unreleased mix be mastered? i'm actually a pro making a living off music btw.

>i'm actually a pro making a living off music btw

nah m8

>the difference isn't because of mastering

8 hours deep into a project and I'm completely blacked out. Not to mention I told my buddy I'd have it finished today.

kill me

suit urself mr kick drum. good luck 'constructing' your kick lmao. maybe /r/cringe can help you

stop trolling senpai, it's too early for this shit

you're upset because you're shite

PLZ STOP FIGHTING GUISE AND LET'S TALK PRODUCTION

New track, going to re-master it to tighten it up some more. Really want to make that kick sound like a tennis ball smashing a tennis court in slow-mo.

clyp.it/emmcltli

>>techo, electro, dark undulating atmospheric sound design, tape effects, all sounds from analog gear

That's really trippy, I like it a lot.
I could use a little tightening up around the 3 mins mark

Wonder what percentage of people here produce form of techno/edm

good thread

Thanks a bunch!

Yes for sure, I think it sags a bit in that part, I need to lift it somehow but don't want to lose the sense of minimalism, especially before the chords come in. I'll see how I go mixing it again. Any thoughts?

I've wondered that too.

Anyone know whether certain VSTs can't be used for commercial use? just wondering if Free VSTs still require licensing or some shit?

the only law for that is reselling untouched samples from other sample packs

should I talk to people who can't read sheet?

Does that include digital renditions of old analogs? as they only hold presets pretty much?

e.g.
buchty.net/ensoniq/

This gives a fantastic atmosphere and sense of movement but that's all it gives, it needs to be half the length. Would work quite well as intro or transitory track on any release

clyp.it/vepytzpv
This is a rough mix of my latest work, any thoughts?

What would you suggest for it to give it (or another track) more? Agreed that it does seem to go a bit long.

Listening to your track now, also really nice atmosphere, those ambient flutes are great. It's got a pretty unique feel, largely created by the kit drums. The double kick section feels a little oversold, but the final release feels rewarding.

if you use it in your own music, like play the notes then you dont have to pay ppl money and stuff

You'll never finish a song in one sitting.

no, talking to people is generally a bad idea

I broke up with my gf because she couldn't read sheet music, retarded bitch.

Anyone have any tips for managing tracks on a project?
I have shitloads of guitar tracks, all recorded with 2 mics and most double tracked for L/R panning

I'm using reaper and so far I've been creating busses for tracks with the same mics.
For example on rythm guitar I have a bus for my sm57 tracks and c414 tracks and that's about it.
Should I have a bus for all my guitars or something else?
Any advice would be apreciated. Currently mixing a punk/rock album (9 songs) that I also recorded.

I would suggest losing 2:00 - 3:00 with more focus on the wee arps turning into big slow release pads, also try have a few more "stationary" sounds, everythings moving around in the mix it's an interesting effect but hard to focus on the finer aspects, for the last section try put more width on the pad

With the drums on my own track I was going for this type of sound youtube.com/watch?v=DYkNBSHdsdA
I'll definitely be adding some breaks though

use busses for things you want to process together: similar things, contrasting things, sorted by function, whatever you feel is right.
with heavy-ish guitars I usually pull all the mics that belong together because they were recorded simultaneously in a bus - f.e. Git1L, same thing for the double tracked version: Git1R - these then go to a stereo bus Git1 which goes to a rhythm guitar bus together with all similar things, which then go to the main guitar bus.
reduce your channel count step by step down on the way to the master stereo bus. that way you'll have the most control over every single step in the chain

James Murphy didn't start until he was like 30-something

youtube.com/watch?v=yYCz06bS380

>I usually pull all the mics that belong together because they were recorded simultaneously in a bus
So you mean you have tracks that have been recorded with different mics on the same bus?

This is an example of how I have my rythm parts set up. Both mics have their own stereo busses, where the tracks from both left and right panned takes with the same mic go into, so that I can have same eq's, compression easily on the tracks that were recorded with the same mic.
they then go into the git1 bus, which is my rythm bus.

nice vid

this shit feels a bit like logan's run sometimes

>So you mean you have tracks that have been recorded with different mics on the same bus?
yes, of course, that's the whole point of organizing the stuff based on 'performances' instead bussing by mics
IMO it makes a lot more sense because your guitar sound of each take consists of the mix of two microphones, so these belong together. compressing across the same mics but from different takes especially on a stereo base causes nothing but a decorrelated mess between the two mic busses. which is okay if you want it to sound more like 4 guitars instead of two, but it's really hard to control the stereo image

>tfw been producing for 7 years
>cousin gets into music production and asks me for advice and I give him my sample libraries, VSTs and years of notes, documents and links
>In 3 months he's already better than me

fuck

that's cool, meet up a lot and learn from each other

I really wanna get into music making, mostly ambient electronic stuff i think, but what software should i start with if i have no experience? i will of course check out the links from OP but a program to download and start checking out right away would be sweet

hang yourself

don't fall for the ableton meme

The midi programming in cubase is a lot better than live

>music
>ambient
PICK ONE

>years of notes

Well did someone give you years of notes?

I get what you're saying but as you see here I have the sm57 and c414 busses going into a git1 bus which is then the combination of the sm57 and c414 sound.

so instead of going mic1/mic2 -> Git 1L bus -> Git1 bus and mic1/mic2 -> Git 1R bus -> Git 1 bus like you suggested, it's going mic1 L/mic1 R -> mic1 bus -> Git1 bus and mic2 L/mic2 R -> Git 1 bus

I thought this was logical since you want the same effects on mic1 on both left and right, and you might want to have different effects on mic1 and mic2 due to the charachteristics of the mics, f.e. cutting low end on the other mic only. This way I can control both left and right takes of the same mic from the busses and control the combined sound from the Git1 bus

yeah, this works for simple LTI processing like filtering and eqing, but as I said compressing that mic busses is not a very logical thing to do. also that way you're missing out on some possibilities f.e. being able to send the whole of one side's guitar to an aux bus, muting one side and repanning the other for quick mono -> stereo changes in parts, etc

what d'ye think, lads? :)

clyp.it/jlcogjr5

>clyp.it/jlcogjr5

what am i listening to

What happens if you play hard panned sub thru subwoofer?

a song I made

oh sounds lazy

but that's not a word and i've never heard anyone say "acks"

shit
I thought the static sounded like a nice almost egg shaker kind of thing but maybe it just sounds lame

>says the MDE posting pleb who cant into kicks

>first of all it's useless to say use a sample that sounds good because i want to figure out how to construct a kick like that
biggest noob misconception of all time. you start with good sounds, you dont try to use MUH SKILLZ to polish turds

$10 says you're a triggered fl user
>DOOD PATTERNS XD

it plays

If you like it, that's cool. Music is subjective. It just really doesn't sound like much of anything to me.

if it's correlated/mono compatible then it makes no difference
if it's out of phase shit then it's gone
make sure to use a 'mono maker' below about 80 Hz on your masters because of that or just don't make shitty basses

clyp.it/indiaymx

Any suggestions? Around 1:10 it feels a little empty to me.

This is also unmastered.

>DnB

Not them, but you have to admit FL's piano roll is the best thing in the market.

for people that work that way, i guess so yeah. never really gotten the appeal of drawing everything in though

>never really gotten the appeal of drawing everything in though

Do you just play everything directly? I'd prefer that way, but I have suitable interfaces for it.

Needs just a tad bit more bass and body, imo. Also, the fills at the end of measure get repetitive. Pretty good otherwise.

Thank you. I'll try introducing different sounding fills than the one I use throughout the song and add more variation to the bass.

If I would play mono sub that goes from hard left to hard right through subwoofer, would it just get a bit louder when it reaches the center or?

nah there's a lack of cohesion there that definitely sounds lazy
my first time fucking around with FL studio though

depends on your DAW's pan characteristics, but most likely you'll hear no difference

Enjoy your 4/4 songs grandpa.
Perhaps in another life you will get introduced to a non-shit DAW

If you have a midi keyboard you don't have to draw anything in though

What time do you feel like you get the most shit done?

10-2pm here

2-6am

Made a pretty simple beat for a friend to rap over, still in the rough stages. All feedback greatly appreaciated

clyp.it/lp3wze0j

>clyp.it/5d53vpk
I could easily scream over this. Very cool man.

>clyp.it/5d53vpkg
this shits pretty weird
I would use a sub for those bass tones. It just sounded muddy otherwise I liked it.

>clyp.it/emmcltli
This is pretty cool. Very long. I would use it as a transition between tracks or an intro.

>clyp.it/jlcogjr5
Thats some heavy filtering youve got going on there bro. Maybe lay off of it a little bit so we can hear some semblance of a song.

clyp.it/ke34rutv
latest project ive been working on.

BUMP

clyp.it/j0oud31k
gonna tackle vaporwave next

well maybe you should acks around a little more

so what's the best audio/midi interface for under $200

3630 is a good comp tho

Wondering if I should push it, and try to make this arrange work, or if I should make loops and try to do something completely different
clyp.it/4ds2hn2c

clyp.it/4ds2hn2c

James is such a qt. I wish I could give him a hug

>tfw got mpc200xl when I could've gotten an mpd and free software for a fraction of the price
>tfw keep falling for memes

you should make a gun and shoot yourself

think of music as all other forms of art

you can start painting when youre 60 and still be really fucking good, or you can be doing it your whole life and not be great until later on, all that matters is that you keep pushing through to get to where you wanna be

just a reminder if you think - production >> composition - you're a pleb disgusting

I come to /prod/ because I can discuss composition with people in the real world who know a lot more about composition than /comp/. Can't do the same with production.

>tfw no spare state automation
>tfw no way to merge/cut project parts in non retarded way
>tfw no /prod/ gf

Rate my shoegazey WIP, tweaking it for like ages and can't get to record vocals... clyp.it/jwqlsiwm

>clyp.it/vepytzpv
Nice, like the atmosphere and tension. Perhaps add some very slight volume/pitch variation to the drums? (LFO)

I think the mix is alright actually

will check out and comment the other stuff in this thread too

>Being this dumb
Sell your mpc you don't deserve it.

thank u senpai

Anyone here have a push 2?
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger.
Is it worth the arm and leg you need to give to buy one?

>falling for all these memes

From everything I've seen it looks pretty useful.

clyp.it/ytxxcszm

>this is why you don't prod with hearing damage

I think someone in the last thread was talking about launchpads

I'm thinking about this too.

Has anybody here tried using push with external gear? I think it would be fun to play a poly analog with push as a controller.

That's what I want to do.
I fucking hate ableton and use only hardware. But push looks like it could make me like abelton. Also the features it has make my heart stop.

>hardware only

And proud of it Mr Satan.

samefag

Hope you are insured.

>tfw I have a shitty closet studio and people are using hardware only

I switch between hardware and abelton, I haven't use abelton since 8 and I'd like to get the push so I can save time.

I'm not sure how that picture is supposed to be an argument.

I mean, I might as well never drive because I COULD die horrifically at any moment.

No, it's ambient music, you don't have to pick one.
Also checked.

I don't really know what I'm doing, but this was damn fun to make

clyp.it/5clwzbfd

If anyone cares to do a little feedback?

i liked it a lot, not really sure what feedback to give though. keep doing what you're doing and make a whole track in the same style?

clyp.it/ezf4sz2c

how's this /prod/ ?

>I fucking hate ableton
Why? Call me naive but I've only tried FL and ableton and I fell in love with it

its simple

reduce your food and weed budget by half and save that money until you have enough to buy something. this is how i got my moog.

Why are all of these pictures McMansions? I know they fall apart really easily, but is that the target market for homeowners insurance?

>my Moog
Which one?

>cut weed and food budget
Just don't go on an all ramen diet, that shit will kill you. Through college I survived on quesadillas and PB&J

Wow thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I'll keep working on it

>clyp.it/5d53vpkg
haha!

best of luck in your journey man.

remember, just keep on producing, that dream sound/track you really want to produce will be in reach one day, I guarantee it

Thank you, user. I'll try my hardest!

clyp.it/lycdar4n better?

Rate this plx.

clyp.it/n1rbg2wt

remember to shoutout 4chin when you make it ;)

Drums too loud

trying out a new style, I think Cred Forums will like it

clyp.it/j4l401ul

would appreciate general feedback, especially regarding mastering.

I'm sorry to say, but he's right. that's due to mix, not different samples.

This is pretty different. I think the vocals need more of an ethereal vibe to them.

Maybe turn them down and layer them

I really like that guitar riff

Very cool style, but on my shitty speakers the bell/chime is pretty loud. Nice delays on the percussion

>Guitar riff.

Thanks man!

For a genre I don't particularly like, this was pretty enjoyable and kept me interested the whole way

moog little phatty

struggle is real, luckily i live near my parents and forced myself to eat more dinners with them... but yeah, mostly ramen diet.

>clyp.it/j4l401ul
Some one's been listening to mr.bill? :)

This has great production value. I'm personally not super found of this type of mixing (hype the lows, hype the highs) but needless to say, great stuff!

thanks!

but prod > comp tho, just look at pop music for the past 30 years.

same exact chord progressions and same exact arrangements, only differentiated by production and lyrical content

>clyp.it/lp3wze0j
pls respond

>mr.bill
Nope, although I used to watch some of his stuff a long time ago.

But thanks!

sorry, meant

Great synth. That was my first analog.

My mother liked to load me up with leftovers before I left. Shit was cash

>pop composition is the only type of composition
No wonder you're so narrow minded

clyp.it/faxyjiak

test

test

something idk

>only posts absolutes

who's narrow minded again?

>There are people in this thread that don't /comp/

You're the one using pop music as a composition argument

Is the best way to make money early in your music career by mixing and mastering for people?

30 years of the most profitable and listened to genre in the world isn't enough for you?

what are some of your favorite songs? I can curate a response that will make you feel more comfy.

>money
Lmao
>songs
Well I like the works of Phillip Glass and Olivier Messiaen.

If you're in this for profit you won't be don't this for very long family.

blumb

>all that stuff
>all it makes is beep bloop bleep wub wub
h-h-h-hardware master race

This
I'll never understand the need for hardware synths in todays day and age apart from novel ASMR masturbation.

Is this an argument, or are you just making fun of posters like ?

I don't use paper at all. I just mix my blood with piss and smudge it on walls like in the good old Paleolithic times because I like the feel, writing on a paper is just not cutting it.

that's because you've never actually used good hardware synths in your workflow

what vst do i get to ripoff scritti politti, madonna, pet shop boys, prefab sprout, human league, etc

I don't need to.

I see videos online of these fat, 50 something year old goobers that hoard hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of high-end modular gear and all they seem to be able to make are shitty chiptuney stuff, or a basic patch which sounds like a sine wave routed to a filter being modulated by an LFO.

Ah. You've seen videos on YouTube. That's good. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos of guys making shitstep innaDAW, but that doesn't mean I think DAWs are inherently bad.

Did a hardware user touch you somewhere naughty?

imagine having a midi controller with a dedicated knob/fader/switch for every parameter of your favorite vst. now imagine having this for ever one of your favorite vsts. now imagine having the ability to modify any sound by reaching out and grabbing the specific parameter. now imagine developing muscle memory for specific tasks. now imagine never having to scroll through tracks in a daw just to change one thing. now imagine never having to deal with midi mapping ever again.

I look at it this way, if I want to spend my time meticulously programming patches for a specific sound, I can do that in a DAW. If I'm playing in a show, and don't want to sequence it all (some of us do ply in bands), then it's easier to reach out and change things when I want to.

MIDI controllers are nice, but better suited to a production atmosphere. Imagine a rehearsal where I spend every five minutes going "hey guys wait, I gotta map all of the parameters for this song"

where is your clypit tho?

clyp.it/cb1jgrjd

But hardware users don't have any friends, so

>feelio when even on /prod/ I'm surrounded by jelly poor people
just buy used fuckheads
stop being salty over having no gear

master race reporting in

>Did a hardware user touch you somewhere naughty
yes :(

Perhaps I was a bit jaded in my earlier posts. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a modular set up if I had the opportunity. I think having a hardware interface is really cool and I imagine the tactile feeling alone for is a big selling point.

But I think it's because, I don't see any advantages sound wise. It'd take a very VERY trained listener to tell the difference between an analogue hardware synth and a VST. Is the price point really worth it?

my clyp.it is

BIMP

>ableton
>f9 to record
>click the ui keyboard
>no sound is recorded
>play the keys with my keyboard
>sound is recorded
why? i want to click, the keyboard has no reach unless i move a scale this sucks

>clyp.it/j4l401ul
p good stuff user

It's really fun to have bandmates or other people to jam out in the studio too. Sometimes my roommate just fucks around on the monosynths because he can interact with them. He also likes to bonk around on the piano

>advantages sound wise.
Modular isn't really all about the filters and oscillators. It is for vintage Moogs that sound ultralewd, but eurorack is mostly about the diversity of modulation, sequencing, and clocking. There's plenty of other colorful modules out there that make sounds I'm unfamiliar with in the software world, like thru zero FM and cloud generators.

>is the price point really worth it?
Cars are money pits that you'll never make any money on unless you're a collector or strike it rich as a racer. Same with synthesizers or piano lessons. Ultimately it's up to the discretion of the consumer to decide if it is worth it.

I've also seen them employed (quite sucessfully) as a teaching aid for synthesis that is much less intimidating than similar software.

Pretty cool sounds like space

Not a fan of the oscillating buzzing, otherwise it seems like it should work well for rap

>uninstalled serum in anticipation for a newer version i thought was compatible for my computer
>it was for mac
>been without serum for a month now

I miss my girl.

Whats the point of giving feedback when i never get it.

Anyone have any tips on getting an earl sweatshirt style bass using Monark?

does anybody actually like the ableton suite packs

click that headphone icon if it isnt blue and youll hear notes when you click the piano roll

Which one are you senpai? It's easy to miss posts sometimes. A lot of people don't read the whole thread

>you have to draw shit in to make songs that rent in 4/4
enjoy knowing nothing about music theory OR daws

I think they want to record the midi notes played when they click keys in the piano roll

clyp.it/ke34rutv

I just want to know what I can do to improve mymix or instrument changes. Thanks senpai

i found this post on the ableton forum that seems like it will work

1. Create a second MIDI track/dummy track and route the output of that to the Track In of the instrument you want played. Enable audition for dummy MIDI track.

2. Record-arm the instrument device track and the MIDI dummy, set to In or Auto for instrument track.

3. Start recording clip in live instrument track, audition track using MIDI dummy track. This will record MIDI data into the track from the piano roll audition.

If you want to capture audio, you can do the same thing but also route an additional audio track to capture audio from the instrument device track, and record the same way.

how would /prod/ emulate the bass synth around 7:30?

youtu.be/pJseqQNQ_zA

It's sounds too dirty and glitchy to just be a 303, but I think that's a good starting point

Someone may have been listening to Snarky Puppy. Very nice!

sounds like a moog filter to me

>mfw listen to music I made when I was 16
>better than my new shit

clyp.it/wby53zau

Drum and bass guitar mellow jamming. Sort of ambient drone.

sorry for the late response
what i meant these.

to be honest i've never bothered with the piano roll, it seems... complicated to get the hang of. i guess i should...

can anyone tell me what type of synths, pads etc. i should be using if i want to get a spacey chill hip hop vibe?

similar to nav, the weeknd, or PND?

youtube.com/watch?v=MZZkURXq5Y4

if you can afford one id just save to get a cheap midi keyboard instead of trying to work around this problem because i cant even figure out why it doesnt work

It's pretty nice, I feel like some more watery reverb would drive the aesthetic home a little more. It's very dreamy, it reminds me of ending credits to a movie.
Keep up the good work

Hello me

Who's using adderall

soundcloud.com/irrelzazier/insecam_1

i tried doing IDM, not sure how it went

Is this n(Black person)igger music?

Fuck you

Pretty good besides posting soundcloud
Read the OP

But how would you get those slides? That's totally not Moog portamento

oh shit, my bad. ignore the post

I was last couple of weeks, but I'm selling the rest. Roommate has ADD and got the wrong stuff apparently, so I get to make a buck.

If I have music I want to sell, how/where do I do it? How as in whole albums or single songs somewhere. I guess both of those things would be good actually, but anyway.

I work better when I'm high desu

that shit was good as fuck though who cares if they are black

id probably use bandcamp but i suck too much to sell music

networking.

If you can make trap sell to the "rappers"

>buy used

for real. the used synth market is awesome because of rich fuckheads who buy brand-new shit and never play. they flip the stuff on craigslist/fleabay/reverb to justify buying even newer stuff and you get a good discount. bonus points for studio / divorce sales.

just don't be an idiot and buy a Jupiter-8 or something.

Is there a big noticeable difference between taking a note and sampling it into melodies or playing the same notes through the hardware circuitry.

Sorry, I'm new.

This is my very first attempt at making music about vaping. Feedback/criticism is welcome (especially if you vape)
>clyp.it/g2oe2b0y

Really digging the bass sound. How did you record that? Trying to record/mix bass feels a lot like beating my head against the wall sometimes.

There's some cool sound design going on in there.

>just bought one of these
did I do good /prod/?

how much did you pay

$350 US

>they flip it
It would be a stretch to call it flipping when they lose money. More of a short sell.

>Jupiter
Lol, the going rate is like $8k right now. You could buy a Prophet 6, OB-6, and a Minimoog Voyager. Or you could buy a nice grand piano. Or 8000 matchbox cars.

you did good imo id pay that easily

>not flipping
yeah i'm not a finance guy so thanks for the tip mayne

I'm assuming the first one? A lot of synth for the money. You might be left with something obsolete though.

New to this, I use FL Studio making hip hop beats. I'm pretty decent at finding drum sounds but I'm looking for good plug-ins and sounds for melodies and shit received me some synths and vsts. Where do you guys dl sounds and vsts

vaping, adderall, soundcloud...

What happened to the comfy /prod/ I used to know?

>vaping
i vape to stop smoking cigarretes and theres nothing wrong with that because smoking can damage your hearing

any tips on reducing background noise?

audio related is a song that i made recently.
it's pretty quiet, but I can't compress or limit it too much or the background noise becomes really apparent.

clyp.it/3a543dq4

Ban rap from /prod/

>adderall
what's wrong with that? electronic music and recreational drugs have gone well together for a long time

>Ban rap from /prod/
what should be allowed then

is there any way to export all tracks in ableton and have the effects on groups be rendered to the individual tracks in the group?

clean and proper pop music
modular wank videos
corporate EDM
xenharmonic nerd stuff
demos of classic synths playing different patches
any rock or metal, but we still have to make fun of them for it

you must be retarded

I don't think that's possible, but I'm not a guru or anything. For example, if you distorted an entire group, the sound would be different than if you distorted each track individually and then grouped them. I can't think of a way in that scenario that you could distort them all together and then separate them all back out.

im not really a fan of rappers but the intstrumentals are usually pretty good

if i could actually ban something from these threads it would be retarded faggots who ruin the thread

I'm meming son. Learn to have a little humor

the only people worth banning are the analog vs digital/hardwave vs software people
that's the shit that actually ruins /prod/

how do you manage with a window unit ac and fan right next to your setup i cant even have my ceiling fan running or it bothers me

yea faggots who argue over bullshit basically

i havent seen it recently but a while back there was this one sperg who was blaming everything he didnt like on Cred Forums and ruined the thread for weeks

didn't seem too memey to me, whatever though

can you check out my track?hwo do i get rid of background noise?

Just got a Tascam PortaStudio 02 and I'm wondering what some options are for mics. Its a 1/4 jack for the mic inputs. really new to this stuff so help is greatly appreciated

you need xlr to 1/4 cable but i am not sure if you need male or female connection it depends on the mic you have probably

it definitely shows its age but damn its so fucking fun, it's arpeggiator its the bees knees

yeah first version

I dont have a mic at all, I'm wondering what would be a low priced mic to start with would be.

>this one sperg who was blaming everything he didnt like on Cred Forums and ruined the thread for weeks
I remember that guy. I kept calling him Jbenny. I kinda miss Jorman.

Sorry. I'm a bit of an old shitter, so some of those are past shitfests that I remember.

>clyp.it
holy crap, that is some impressive noise you have
I'm assuiming that you're recording some cheapo digital piano with a computer mic? Correct me if otherwise.

my best suggestions in order:
find a particularly "dead" sounding room, and record in there
fill a closet with blankets, nail them over the walls if it is nessescary
seperate the mic from the computer as far as possible
close vents
acoustic foam

if you're looking for removing existing noise, I can't help you there. You might be better off re-doing it in a DAW.

this user is sort of right but there is some imedance matching that needs to be done. you usually need some device like link related to fix the impedance difference for the mic to sound ungarbagelike. Beyond just changing the type of plug, there's a transformer in there to fix everything.

amazon.com/Female-Male-Line-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002BF1KG

I myself have an old Sure mic that is 1/4" and impedance matched for tape machines

I can't understand the vocals because they're too soft and I don't think there's enough high end to them. Most consonants live in the treble, and it's hard to understand vocals without it. Try using a low shelf to cut out some of the muddy low frequencies (these don't contribute that much to mix) and boost with a high shelf to make them a little brighter. Turning down the other tracks a little would also help.

As for noise, I'm not an expert, but a properly treated room is probably the most important thing. Also, the louder you have to turn up your preamps on your interface, the louder the noise will be. Noise seems to be more of a problem when you record quieter sounds vs louder ones. Mic choice will also affect noise to some extent, but not as much as other things I mentioned.

i never left

and where do you think the trump posters came from? /wsg/?

i think you mean that you all chose to ruin the thread for weeks by devolving into a total shitfest whenever i posted

>you all
i just leave when the thread starts getting shit because its a waste of time

clyp.it/0jufhmhg

does this slap bass sound acceptable? I know it's not very good since it's made with a synth and not an actual recording, but is there anything i could do to make it sound more like a real bass guitar?

I use zoomh1. As long as you can find somewhere to place it, it works just as well as any mic with a stand. good mic quality too. only 100 bucks.
with the added benefit that you can use it to record on the go.

otherwise, I would go with a blue yeti or snowball.
I've heard good things about them.
I had the yeti, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get the gain to go down low. I don't know what was up with that, but I would be picking up audio from across the house. Didn't matter what I did.
So maybe the yeti isn't the best option, idk.

>impressive noise

that's nice of you

and no, it wasn't a digital piano. I used distortion and downsampling on a recording of an actual piano.

thanks for the input. i'll try mixing the vocals louder next time.

Wait, it is you J? I'm not going to mock you or anything. If you're still here, we cool.
>/wsg/
pfff, no
they have great [AS] threads though, chill as fuck
definitely not a Cred Forumsack either, I think it's just some oldfag who knows how to #trigger people, maybe gearfag

>>impressive noise
and I didn't mean to insult
if you introduced distortion and downsampling, why are you worried about noise, those are both inherently noisy processes

Bruh you did good
The aliasing on those made pads sound like liquid

post some clyps when its up and running

if by "is it you" you mean "is it the guy who was never jbenitex in the first place but that we call jbenitex" then yes, it's me.

also, i just picked a random board i'd never been to that seemed unrelated to politics... i like a lot of adult swim shit though, maybe i'll check it out

I meant background noise.
I have a loud ass computer that makes most of the noise, but even if I record with it off I can't seem to avoid constant ambient background noise. I don't know where it comes from, but it ruins most of my recordings. I think it might just be the structure of my room, maybe it is too echoey.

Where do you guys record most of the time? Do you guys go to a studio? Do you just put audio foam all over your room?

>"is it the guy who was never jbenitex in the first place but that we call jbenitex"
oh. I actually would have been happy if it was him. I would have felt better if he was "baptised by fire" and still stuck around with us, he's quite legendary.

here's what I was talking about
I'm fortunate enough to have a job at a university that allows me to record a steinway grand in a concert hall

for those of you that can't, making a room sound dead is the best you can do, it can be done with acoustic foam, and even with blankets if it's sufficiently non-reflective. it's really hard to do that though

descibe, in detail, the room your piano is in. I want everything from the furniture and the carpet, to the shape of room, in approximate units you prefer

does rockwool work or is that bullshit

how do I get rid of the constant background static from my vocal recording? I'm using a distortion/drive booster effect to boost up the volume and recording and give it some depth which may be the culprit.

Rockwool is in my favorite recording room. But it's still up to a variety of factors, including the room size/shape itself. That said, it's better than most materials, including your bog standard foam

That is definitely it. Do you have an interface with any sort of preamp? That's what you should be using if it is available to you.

shit, I don't think I could tell you the measurements of my room, aside from it being square, and about 15-20 feet per side. I don't really remember.
I'm at college now anyway, so I don't have a piano(at least not a decent one) and nowhere to record.

I think I'll just try putting up blankets in my room over break. Maybe crank out a few songs.
It sucks, my room is already really hot and stuffy, I can only imagine what putting blankets all over would do.

it has a preamp and I had the gain turned nearly all the way up during the recording but it was still pretty quiet, I'm not singing super loud.

I could also run it through a virtual amp but does anyone actually do that (it's intended for guitars)?

I really like the tone the distortion gave the mix.

alright is there any benefit besides saving and loading and a few functions not available in the demo version of fl studios like the make unique pattern function that makes buying the base version of fl studios worth it?

I'm thinking of buying a few sample packs and just saving my money and either getting fruity edition or producer edition.

get the signature edition if youre getting fl studio

i dont ever reccomend buying a gimped version of a daw

will do senpai

Just crank the preamp when you record, and add compression afterwords. It sounds like you don't have adequate preamps and mics though. Unfortunately it costs a decent sum of cash to record pianos and make them sound well before it even makes it to the ADCs in your interface

Use a new xlr mic with an independent pre-amp as a line level source for the best performance

May I have some tips for warping?

what kind of audio you are warping matters shit like recorded instruments and drums is a pain in the ass

I have no idea what you just said.

warp your mom

What the fuck is wrong with these threads now days

Any tips on dark and atmospheric compositions? I wrote a song in f minor but it still sounds happy. What kind of pads, synths, and pianos should i use? Anything i can do on the nproduction end to achieve it?

Try D minor instead. It's the saddest of all keys.

Also, maybe post a clyp? That would probably help with answers.

bumpan

try double diminished or double harmonic, but basically even major can sound sad, so you should probably /comp/ a bit more

I can hardly hear the bass guitar, mate

listen to music that has sounds like you want, then try to copy that. eventually you will stop finding what you want to copy and will end up making it yourself. by then you will be good

Trying out new things today
Oh well, it's something

clyp.it/wjqcw34k

i really enjoyed this, user. i know absolutely nothing about dnb (assuming this is dnb???)

i think i'm going to scrap all of these tones and start over

clyp.it/hxtwaxi1

just realized i forgot to re-enable the reverb on the drumkit. fuck it.

clyp.it/3xsyic22

how about now?

clyp.it/ojci1t5l

Hey thanks man! I guess it's drum and bass heh

I'm more interested in how you got that great guitar tone. Are you using a digital amp? What kind of guitar? The cleans are amazing

That sounds way better to me. I think the artificial sound adds to the song in a positive way

Why is jungle so popular here

It's fun to make

yeah, it's all digital for now. i'm in an apartment and i have yet to build an iso box for my amp. amp head sim with cab impulse response files.

head: roland JC-120
cabinet IR 1: fender twin jensen SM57 cap 0in
cabinet IR 2: fender twin jensen sennheiser MD 421 cap edge 0.5in

having seymour duncans in my guitar helps too.

is there any way i can keep warp mode on by default in ableton but not have it fuck with the startpoint of the files you import?

c h o r d b o t
h
o
r
d
b
o
t