Rank them

rank them

cum

Scaruffi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Melon > Christgau >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> p4k

1. My own opinion
2. None of theirs

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

they're all shit

All garbage.

Pic related

Opinions:
Scaruffi > Christgau > P4K > Fantano

Demeanor and writing style:
Christgau > Scaruffi > Fantano > Pitchfork

Piero > Christgau, Fantano = Pitchfork. I don't agree with most of Piero's opinions. In fact, I probably agree with Christgau more often on what albums are and are not good. However, I respect Piero's method of reviewing and scoring, and respect his thoughts on music. I find him to be far more interesting than any other music critic, and like that he is a computer scientist. Fantano and Pitchfork are just pieces of shit.

ruffi >>>> p4k >>> antwon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> christgau

1. pitchfork
2. melon
3. scaroof
4. christgau

serious answer

your opinion is shit

scaruffi = bangs > prindle > christgau > who cares?

>Christgau
dudes 74. its literally impossible for him to be a GREAT music critic

Correct answer

Scaruffi = christgau >>>>>> pitchfork pre 2010 >>> melon >>>> pitchfork post 2010

people hate on pitchfork for their anomaly scores and crazy black/rap bias

but they are so right on the vast majority of albums

fecal matter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest of them in no particular order

Melon>Christgau>>>>>>>>>>Scaruffi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>p4k

Nice (You)

Don't be mean to poor Scaruff. He is very sensitive. ;(

The fact that so many Cred Forumstants still name the Scaruffi as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" music critic ever only tells you how far music critique still is from becoming a serious art. RYM have long recognized that the greatest music critics of all times are AntiWarhol and chumlum, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Youtubers rank the highly controversial Anthony Fantano over classical music critics who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Cred Forumstants are still blinded by 12 year olds. Scaruffi sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore he must have been the greatest. RYM users grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, Youtubers grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Cred Forumstants are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Scaruffi did anything worthy of being saved.

it amazes me how people here really take scaruffi's opinion so seriously, he's no better than any of the others

His opinions are often worse, but his way of communicating them is far better. The only way it could be better is if he rated on a scale of 1000.

Scaruffi > Chirstgau > Fantano > Pitchfork

Christgau is semi-retired now, he is in his 70s. But putting that aside, he has some really retarded ideas and often ends up contradicting himself.

scaruffi's m.o. is that he approaches rock/pop music the way an art historian would, tracing its development, pointing out its most significant releases, and placing it into a broader cultural / intellectual context. he's the only rock critic i'm aware of who abides by this (or any coherent) methodology, and i think it's totally admirable, even if i don't always agree. plus the man clearly knows a lot about this type of music, and his writings are filled with insight.

Christgau, eh, some of his longer columns are pretty interesting and put a lot of things in context. His album reviews, while often quite funny, are extremely unprofessional.

Scaruffi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fagtano > Pitchfork >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cuckgau

Then why did you post as if he was still actively reviewing stuff.

That's not me, you dumb idiot. His grammar and spelling are shit.

not the same guy. but the retirement thing doesn't take away from my 74 thing

I'm fine with any ranking that puts Pitchfork dead last.

>i spelled everything right

That's not what I meant. I meant in the context of saying that someone who's 74 could not in the present context be an outstanding critic. If you say X was an outstanding critic (past tense) then it would make more logical sense. However, you were using the present tense.

Does that make sense now?

His spelling was fine, he failed at using punctuation for some reason.

For example, it would be equivalent to saying "Willie Mays is the GOAT baseball player." in the present tense when the man is 85 years old and hung up his bat over 40 years ago.

fuck you, faggot

>all these people putting Scaruffi first

The fact that so many anons still name Piero Scaruffi as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock critic ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most innovative or left-field or avant-garde of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly pretentious in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by their pretentiousness. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they couldn't have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Piero Scaruffi is often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, he barely knows the best sellers. No wonder he doesn't think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Yeah but Christgau was never a good music critic at any point in his career. Go all the way back to his earliest reviews for the VV and he was making the same moronic, one-sentence insults.

wasn't Pauline Kael 69-70 when she retired from reviewing movies?

Yeah but she did a really good interview with some magazine not long before her death where she mentioned how directors get stale as they age. I could agree with that. The George Lucas of the 2000s was not the George Lucas of the 70s.

I think sometimes he still pens an occasional review of memerap albums or pop tart singers.

all 0

I hope one day you look back on these posts and feel embarrassed that you were once this cringey
And this is coming from someone who agrees Scaruffi is shit

Yeah I seem to recall that Christgau wrote a quite positive Grimes review not long ago. So yeah, he's mostly retired now and just once in a while reviews something that he happens to enjoy.

Scaruffi's European perspective is a little interesting and different.

Movie directors, when they're young, tend to make edgy, silly pop culture-focused films. By the time they reach middle age, they're more into bloated, self-indulgent crap like Schindler's List.

>posting pastas is now "cringey"
Fuck off

I don't think we necessarily _need_ professional movie or music critics anymore in the Internet age.

It's not even a good pasta. Or maybe it once was and now has passed its sell date.

Why would I want to go back and find this thread specifically in the archive?

>I hope one day you look back on these posts and feel embarrassed that you were once this cringey And this is coming from someone who agrees Scaruffi is shit

I hope one day you look back on these posts and feel embarrassed that you were once this cringey
And this is coming from someone who agrees Scaruffi is shit

fandango>christgau>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>p4k>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>scaruffles

Scaruffi might be a hack but Christgau is a hack of an even higher order.

I'd rather get recs from old tripfags.

scaruffi >>>>>>>>>> POWERGAP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fantano > christgau > p4k

Scaruffi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest are irrelevant

Fantano>Christgau>Scaruffi>P4K

Fantano had great videos, especially years ago. They were quite enjoyable to watch, and got me into new stuff. Scaruffi is after Christgau because he is a contrarian cunt who thinks he is above everyone, not to mention the pedophilia. P4K is almost tied with scaruffi, but last for the collective shitty reviewers they have.

Scruffy > Fagtano > p4k > contrarian fuck

wowzers
is it suddenly 2015 in here

Poly > Jazzthreadguy > Turny > Leo >>>>>>>>>> Scaruffi = Fantano = Christgau = Pitchfork

choke on dick, my man