Further proof that Nine Inch Nails is actually mediocre by industrial rock standards

Further proof that Nine Inch Nails is actually mediocre by industrial rock standards.

youtube.com/watch?v=f7buxWtIPDM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RciQkPyguwI
youtube.com/watch?v=wffAkC62ZjE
youtube.com/watch?v=5BBmN6JtG58
youtube.com/watch?v=juPBR3-YDa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like Ministry

Kind of, if Ministry were more inventive, more brutal, more technically proficient, and more industrial.

>Nine Inch Nails is actually mediocre by industrial rock standards

why does it need a proof?

hey this song sounds good man but dont hate on ministry

Because many depressionfags claim otherwise.

I love Ministry tho. I listen to them at least once a month.

It's ok, the vocals are weak and whiny
meh/10
I'd rather listen to Primitive Calculators

>listening to it for the vocals
It's true that they get whiny on some tracks tho.

But not Trent Reznor whiny.

>hurr durr i'm gonna make a lot of noise and suggest rape on my cover am i edgy yet

Pretty good. Doesn't come close to anything from The Downward Spiral though.

pre 90s, disagree. post 90s, totally agree, but that's only because NIN started to REALLY decline, and ministry was just being consistent.

industrial music mostly sucks anyway unless we're talking modern skinny puppy or 90s front line assembly.

Yeah that's the idea.
Why don't you like it, user?
Does it trigger you?
Do you yield to this shameless provocation?
Surely you don't.
You're a grown-ass big boy.
You don't get mad at pictures.
They don't upset you.
Therefore they can't be actually edgy.

Agreed, it's so overwhelmingly better than TDS that it's not even fair to compare them.

>NIN started to REALLY decline
What? Year Zero is one of their best, With Teeth and The Slip are pretty good industrial rock, Ghosts is straight up amazing, Hesitation Marks is a nice showcase of their more calm, electronic sound. If anything they stayed pretty damn consistent through the years.

Wrong opinion, you should delete it away asap

skinny puppy missed the point of industrial and chose to only make soft, non-agressive "harsh" EBM. Their latest album was practically background music for goth clubs where you can't dance.

modern skinny puppy sucks though 'Bites' Is their best

I get it, you found this band you think is obscure as fuck so you feel the need to shit on the classics. Eventually you'll find that contrarian behavior dumb as carry on with your life as a more mature person, we all do user.

Wrong.
NIN made ONE good album: Broken, two decent albums: Pretty Hate Machine and TDS, and from that point on they became even softer and less interesting than the average buttrock band.

You've got it wrong, m8. Marilyn Manson is also better than NIN.
Also do you seriously think I'd bring up a band Fantano just talked about if I wanted to show off my obscure hipster taste?

Softer != bad. Also, PHM sounds dated as fuck and Year Zero/Ghosts shit all over it.

This band is on The Flenser they aren't obscure in the slightest. I'm sorry you can't handle opinions that differ from your own

in industrial music, soft = bad

also
>dated as fuck
>CURRENT YEAR
PHM's main appeal is that it's reminiscent of better industrial rock albums made around the same time.

>Manson is also better than NIN
Lmao you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Also, one of Manson's only good 3 releases had Reznor's fingerprints all over it.

>Ghosts is straight up amazing

Holy shit you're ignorant as fuck. Let me guess, you think Throbbing Gristle, Nurse With Wound, Zoviet France, Einsturzende Neubauten, Test Dept., SPK and all the more experimental/drone inclined, softer industrial is all shit. Kill yourself.

Also, PHM is literally just early less abrasive early Skinny Puppy. And yes, its dated as fuck, it reeks of typical 80's production.

>one of Manson's only good 3 releases had Reznor's fingerprints all over it.
That's entirely true, but Reznor has a lot of trouble coming up with good riffs or a strong concept (no, depression isn't a good concept and neither is "george bush is gonna turn the US into a cyberpunk police state") so, while it's true that Manson owes a lot to Trent, Trent couldn't conceivably have come up with something as good as ACSS on his own.

>Einstürzende Neubauten is drone-inclided
>Zoviet France is drone-inclined
>Nurse With Wound is drone-inclined
>Test-dept is drone-inclined
>SPK is drone inclined
all those projects are great BECAUSE THEY AREN'T SOFT.
They're hard, abrasive, percussive and therefore good industrial.
As opposed to recent skinny puppy and NIN.

But NIN's lyrics aren't the main focus of their music. The production and songwriting takes priority, and its undeniable that Trent excels at both. Also, the concept behind Year Zero was pretty damn unique.

No doubt Manson's best lyrics are more in dept, though he also has plenty of edgy bullshit.

No doubt recent SP is garbage. Also, I wasn't implying the bands I listed were all drone inclined, I was referring to drone inclined industrial bands.
And yes, Zoviet France is drone as fuck, what are you on about?
Also, are you implying early NIN isn't abrasive?

Have you ever listened to an Einstürzende Neubauten album after Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.?

The concept behind Year Zero is literally the zeitgeist of the early 2000s, it's the opposite of unique.
I'll give Trent the fact that he's great at production and composition. But it's wasted on weak songs after weak songs.
>though he also has plenty of edgy bullshit
just like Trent, which would play in his favor (because being edgy is part of industrial music's appeal) if he didn't sound so tired and sleepy half of the time.

oh fuck you man.

the lyrics are part of the overall art. if they're written to be ignored, fuck you.

I said earlier that Broken is NIN's best release.

why isn't downward spiral their best?

Trent's lyrics are cringy but come out with honesty, plus I find their simplicity serves to draw the attention to his production. Also, Year Zero wasn't just "muh Bush is evil, muh corporations", it had a whole story, characters, setting, even a fucking official, interactive website.

Because it's less abrasive than Broken, has less memorable riffs, is less pissed-off and has a lot of goofy moments.

Big woop, Manson also did a bunch of web-based wankery for Mechanical Animals and each album of the triptych has a story, setting and characters.

you're making the argument that the mood of the album determines the quality of the album.

get off my aircraft.

>riffs are part of the mood of an album
And yeah, the mood of an album does determine its quality. What are you, an autistic /classical/ nerd who reads the notes instead of listening to the music?

But Godflesh is the best guys.

No.
Godflesh is just the proof-of-concept prototype of industrial metal.
It just "works".

no, i just don't need to factor in my personal bias to determine whether an album has reasonable quality or not.

>less abrasive
Objecively incorrect. It features less guitars overall, but it has songs more abrasive than anything on Broken. Also, the sound design and production are vastly superior. Broken is still top notch though.

See that's the thing. NIN has "reasonable quality" insofar as it's not unlistenable garbage and obviously has work and effort put into it.
But for the most part, it's mediocre industrial rock. Barely industrial, nowadays, in fact.

>le music theory destroys emotion meme
Oh, so you're a dipshit. You should say so right away next time so no one has to waste their time arguing with you.

>songs
no.
It has a handful of 30-seconds snippets that are more abrasive than anything on Broken.
And as I said, the sound design and production are wasted on its numerous weak songs.

You're clearly not making a good case against that meme by arguing that just because NIN is "better composed", it's automatically a good album in spite of its shortcomings in the "mood" department.

You must be one of those people who think that three chord indeh rawk songs are better than symphonies by trained composers.

you're not fucking explaining why it's mediocre you god damn plebian.

No, indie rock is weak and sounds flabby. It doesn't have any catchy riffs, unlike some symphonies by trained composers.

>weak songs
It has some of NIN's strongest songwriting. Also, what makes the songs weak?

I have no idea why we're arguing about abrasiveness though, industrial music isn't required to be abrasive in order to be good.

>what makes the songs weak
read the thread
not angry enough
not memorable enough
not abrasive enough
So obviously, whatever you call "strong" songwriting isn't strong enough to factor in what makes an album really good.

>industrial music isn't required to be abrasive in order to be good.
Not only is it required to be abrasive in order to be good, it's also required to be abrasive in order to be industrial.

>song needs to be angry in order to be good
>song needs to be abrasive to be good
>Hurt, March of the Pigs, Piggy, Mr Self Destruct, Closer, Heresy, Reptile aren't memorable
>despite being some of NIN's most well known tracks

>to be industrial it needs to be abrasive
I guess Throbbing Gristle, Zoviet France, late Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil's industrial stuff, Nurse With Wound, etc. aren't industrial, despite being universally considered as such.

Someone upload this ish.

All those bands ARE abrasive though.
And those tracks are only remembered because they were shilled to hell and back.

And yes, this is industrial rock, it needs to be angry and abrasive in order to be good.

You sound more and more like an autistic bleepfag who can't appreciate industrial music for what it's worth.

lol why does the singer sound like mike patton

Because it's just Mike Patton doing a gay voice.

I'm going to ask you again, have you ever listened to EN past their second album? They have plenty of softer songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=RciQkPyguwI
youtube.com/watch?v=wffAkC62ZjE
youtube.com/watch?v=5BBmN6JtG58
youtube.com/watch?v=juPBR3-YDa8

I'm legit mad rn because Melon reviewed this less than 2 hours ago and gave it an 8 and now there are 25 people on SLSK trying to drone this from me who might not even be remotely interested in Industrial Music

Don't get me wrong, I don't think SS are obscure or anything and they just signed to one of the biggest "experimental" labels and dropped a debut so you'd expect some hype but I haven't seen a SINGLE mention of this album outside of from me in the past week or two.

I personally really like the album and was waiting for it to drop (bandcamp preview singles were excellent) and think the score is deserved and they also merit the exposure I'm just annoyed at the circus of bullshit that comes with Fandango being a tastemaker for a bunch of unimaginative people who don't/can't/won't explore more music.

Like fair enough I'm sure a lot of people would have been put on/reminded of this by that bald headed fuck and they were anticipating it/like this kind of shit but this album is not a good introduction to any of the genres it plays around with.

>Blog etc etc

You should stop caring so much about people who listen to music.

I haven't, EN usually struck me as more of a No-Wave thing so I haven't really dug into their discography.

Glad I didn't actually, since they went soft.

You clearly never listened to :z*f: nor late EN. Also, you're basically saying industrial rock is a one-dimensional genre that can only explore certain moods and has little room for dynamics. Gtfo

No matter how you spin it, exposing more people to good industrial music can only be a good thing.

>Also, you're basically saying industrial rock is a one-dimensional genre that can only explore certain moods and has little room for dynamics.
Yeah I'm basically saying the truth.
I'm sorry NIN isn't as good as you fancy it to be.

Genres aren't just formats (otherwise they'd be called music formats), they're defined by more than just composition and production techniques, they're defined by moods and dynamics. As Trent Reznor demonstrated, it's possible to stop making industrial rock by simply removing the anger and abrasiveness while keeping everything else.

I agree actually, I think it's great, just my shit got throttled from so many people trying to upload from me at once.

More exposure to fringe subgenres is excellent and I said as much that SS deserve it, I just can't shake the element of fandango tastemaking actually impacting me in a small way, like him having that much influence isn't his fault, it's just that there are people who will verbatim drone him just like Scruffles and P4K but won't actually go onto to explore more good industrial.

Melon doesn't have a responsibility to do anything more than he already does but him deflecting everything with his opinion platitude works both ways and makes him less involved.

It would be great for example, if when he made a video like this where he knows he's going to give a band MASSIVE amounts of exposure to an audience unfamiliar with the music if he tried to lay out more of a framework for inexperienced listeners.

Kind of impotent rage really, It's dumb, but my 2 cents.

>like him having that much influence isn't his fault
It is because he's been viraling his channel on this board for a long time.

>needing proof
As someone who was around at the beginning, they always were.

yeah he mentioned Street Sects has "influences" but didn't name them.

lmao you think there are like 500K mutants who frequent this board? Initially yeah he "viralled" but it's not like he was any different from TheLoserof08 or Inxy or whoever as just a Cred Forumstant who made videos

Post mega

Lmao you're like one of those scenekids that only care about br00tal breakdowns and edgyness. You don't have appreciation or knowledge for industrial music in its entirely, so don't try to define what it can/should or can/should not be.

I liked the album, i think it will get more people into industrial music

can someone plz post a fucking mega link already, 75 comments into this thread... fuck

I'd hope so but that's generally not how these things play out ime. Idk if you are a big fan of Industrial, but a very small fraction of the TND Subscriber base are people who are on Cred Forums like you who actively seek out music far flung from their comfort zone although it is getting better.