ITT: I'm fascinated by David Bowie. Mainly because, intuitively and at first, I don't ever really enjoy his music...

ITT: I'm fascinated by David Bowie. Mainly because, intuitively and at first, I don't ever really enjoy his music. It's just not my usual "thing". Some of his albums I love though. But anyway, no matter how much I don't enjoy his music, I can recognise so much quality in it. Because of this, I listen to him a hell of a lot, because the relationship I have with his work is such a unique thing for me.

Do any of you have a relationship with an artist like that? An artist where instinctively you don't enjoy their music, but you can recognise a lot of talent and quality in their work.

wew lad

Yes thats why i love boeie too

I hope you don't mean musical quality because 80% of that was not Bowie. lol

I'm talking about his body of work. That's it.

It's a real shame his 95-03 albums rarely get discussed here on Cred Forums.

Outside and Heathen get plenty of discussion.

Hours and Earthling are shit.

IT'S NOT THE SIDE EFFECT OF THE COCAINE

I'M THINKING THAT IT MUST BE LOVE

>wow haha nice fallout boy reference friend

outside is nice...

i recognize quality in plenty of artists that i don't enjoy like anco or swans but i don't listen to them because i'm not trying to force myself into liking anything lol

lifes too short to waste on music you don't enjoy op

This is somewhat how I feel about jazz and classical. It doesn't often instinctively "click with me," but I listen to it a lot because its obvious talent/quality makes it fascinating to me.

I'm not forcing anything loool. I listen to him because it's a unique musical experience. It's just more of a challenging relationship. I'll spend a while not listening to Bowie then i'll be like "Man, I really wanna listen to some Bowie. Cus every time I do, something new comes out."

I've never seen any. I thought Earthling and "hours..." were both just solid meh. Some nice ideas and tracks but that's it. What about Reality?

I've ended up with an album that I now think is amazing from him and absolutely love, because I didn't give up after not being instantly gratified.

I'm like that with Breakbeat albums.

Started listening to this genre while looking for something that sounds like Tekka from V:D:C

>unique musical experience.
o

i've only ever intentionally listened to something purely for challenge as a form of "studying" i guess... i used to do that with ornette coleman but idk

>other people tell me it's good so ill just say it's good and not develop my own opinions
>cant be one of the evil contrarian neckbeards!!!

still haven't found it btw, pls rec

You must have missed the Bowie wave after his death that lasted 3 or 4 months. It was basically agreed that Outside and Reality are both underrated masterpieces.

Reality is good too.

Not at all. People tell me The Rolling Stones are good but I think they suck. People tell me Oasis are good but I think they suck. People tell me Pixies are good, The Clash are good, I think they all suck.

Bowie is different.

>hating any of those bands
>contrarian
If you say you dislike Bowie on Cred Forums people will get buttmad

You're obviously a conformist

>Bowie
>challenging
Literal wew lad, he's fucking pop and always has been

He's not some super deep artist, he's just another faggot hopped up on cocaine who got famous wearing cool clothes and happened to make a few good albums. Stop forcing yourself to listen to shit you don't like