Can you give me a metal album that has great musicians all round (especially a good drummer)...

Can you give me a metal album that has great musicians all round (especially a good drummer), has high production value so it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a tin can and doesn't have cheesy sounding vocals? The last part is particularly hard for metal because the genre is pretty cheesy as a whole. Vocals are usually what ruins it for me, for different reasons. E.g. Most Bruce Dickinson types are super fucking cheesy. Most cookie monster shit is cheesy but somehow I don't mind some - like the Suffocation vocals on Effigy of the Forgotten are alright.

If I can give an example of vocals I like it would be Tom Araya on Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood and South of Heaven. I also really dig Slayer's general sound on these albums a lot.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Fh2kHd37ipY
If you can give me a whole album that sounds something like that that would be great. Great fucking drumming, badass riffs and solos, non-cheesy vocals and non-shit production value. I just really dig the way that fucking song sounds the whole way through.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IIHH9THNRQA
youtu.be/CLrNGD4nGiM
youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9o8oMmPFI
youtu.be/SgOQ40tRG24
youtu.be/TZnjF8c1lEY
youtube.com/watch?v=_FbPPXTvpJI
youtube.com/watch?v=6mfvSSl9L9M&index=171
youtube.com/watch?v=1sFT_kt-04M
youtube.com/watch?v=gRYwwPvwpQo
youtube.com/watch?v=DnUZ5xpcKHw
youtube.com/watch?v=ObdkDldk9Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=FyRX_cIA3wE
youtube.com/watch?v=kcoTfcF86Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=jz3KIFMw92E
youtube.com/watch?v=scnlkISqmrM
youtube.com/watch?v=UI4wpkrnA5U
youtube.com/watch?v=voe8Vnzy7ZI
youtube.com/watch?v=fdt7CCUdEEk
youtube.com/watch?v=49vZhQlAEyk
youtube.com/watch?v=v20mhyekByU
youtube.com/watch?v=lEuxFiVbvk0
youtube.com/watch?v=-27AHfaVn6M
youtube.com/watch?v=IVvJTzWbxgY
youtube.com/watch?v=hJI9Zs753ZE
youtube.com/watch?v=VqsEeKNGKeM
youtube.com/watch?v=MKt4aWWqI00
youtube.com/watch?v=S35HesWIXug
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>hell awaits
>good production
Pick one

Ghost - Meliora

I used a song from South of Heaven as the example, not hell awaits. I still really like hell awaits but not for its production quality.

>good production
why though?

youtube.com/watch?v=IIHH9THNRQA

Sodom - s/t

this is straight cheese dude

>gay Cred Forums hipster metal
ugh

sodom is an example of a band that I'd like a lot more if the vocals didn't sound so cheesy

Hell awaits has a great dark kinda lo fi atmosphere which suits the album music and lyrical themes really well. It really feels like you are descending into hell. Also, you can actually hear the bass and have the best slayer compositions.

I have this same damn problem with lots of metal. The instrumentals are rad as fuck but the vocals make me roll my eyes hard

youtu.be/CLrNGD4nGiM

26:00 for catchy panned Arabian scaled riff
37:26 for bass solo

Enjoy the rebirth of death core

holy shit this is actually pretty fucking awesome lol

Yeah
I know the entire album by heart if you'd like to hear the highlights

what the fuck are these lyrics jesus christ

>I know the entire album by heart if you'd like to hear the highlights
sure

40:19
46:40
54:24
57:12

Listen to Kindgom of the wretched undying if you want to know what the album concept is. The song is 17 mjnutes, is a narrative story that is split into 4 chapters featuring 5 vocalists

thanks man

Exceptional vocals, drums, and guitars. Also a good starting album if you want to get into this band.

what would you define as cheesy?

Find yourself the original pre-remaster version ASAP

Don't expect typical metal AT ALL, but the vocals on this are god-tier. Most of the lyrics seem improvised but it's also simultaneously one of the most quotable albums of all time.

>br00tal
>trv cvlt

You like carnifex or thy art is murder?

This along with the Carnivore records.

The lyrical content is amazing, and they don't take themselves seriously either

Try looking into the early Thrash movement outside of the big four.

There are plenty of bands similar to Slayer who do it better.

cant really say. it's just a subjective feel I get when listening to most of the genre. metal is pretty cheesy by definition but there are still some albums I really like, like the three slayer ones I mentioned.

I've tried to find stuff but I just can't seem to find albums that scratch the itch quite like those slayer ones do. I've tried stuff like sodom, kreator, sepultura, but there's something about slayer's early sound that I really fucking dig and can't really seem to find anywhere else. I like albums from bands like municipal waste and overkill a lot for example but it's still not the same vibe I get from slayer.

Oh ok, maybe i am inmune to cheesiness but you should check out coroner, v8, hermetica

I dunno if this is what youre looking for but if you dont like it you should kys

not metal but it rips
crossover thrash

toxic holocaust
Vader
Skeletonwitch

metal starts to get good when you straight up ignore production value. Gritty production gives a different atmosphere. see also pic related for the best metal album of all time

Not op but that is a great album

as much as I love Slayer, Tom isn't a very good bassist.

gojira

youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9o8oMmPFI

this song is powerful

I know you didn't really want cookie monster metal but Amon Amarth is pretty good imo
youtu.be/SgOQ40tRG24
youtu.be/TZnjF8c1lEY

>It really feels like you are descending into hell
Every time the drums start after "WELCOME BACK" I literally feel like I'm in that cage from Temple of Doom being descended into hell.

Try these out
youtube.com/watch?v=_FbPPXTvpJI
youtube.com/watch?v=6mfvSSl9L9M&index=171

yeah I like decapitated

Well that's a pretty good start, though this is their best album so don't be too expectant with the rest of their discog.
That aside, Nile, whilst mildly gimmicky, manages to pull it off surprisingly well, and in a manner that doesn't manifest as much cheese as one would expect-
youtube.com/watch?v=1sFT_kt-04M
Going from there, Suffocation and Atheist are two that I would recommend looking into as well
youtube.com/watch?v=gRYwwPvwpQo
youtube.com/watch?v=DnUZ5xpcKHw

Just got into this Chinese thrash band, you should give them a listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=ObdkDldk9Wo

>Tom Araya
>not cheesy vocals
>wanting plastic sounding production values that remove the organic and savage feel of the music

Just listen to pic or the new Vektor album everyone memes or any other Vektor release.

Listen to Sadus

youtube.com/watch?v=FyRX_cIA3wE

This desu senpai

In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98 per cent of them are white.

Is that a Bob's Stores shirt?

>pseudo-virtuosity that negates content
>P S U E D O V I R T U O S I T Y T H A T N E G A T E S C O N T E N T
W H A T D I D H E M E A N B Y T H I S

>vektor

id rather you learn to just accept n enjoy the "cheese" my dude, it aint hard

My pic was what I recced to him because I think it's great, the Vektor is what I recced to him that he'll probably enjoy that I am not as much into. That's why I gave him two recs.

Not gonna lie, I do always enjoy metal because even the counter culture/contrarian guys never got it as much as the main/pop culture people.

Pic related is the greatest metal album ever made.

Ugh that came out wrong. I meant that certain aspect of metal. It allows for a level of elitism without the pretentious bull that normally comes with it.

what song is that? i want to feel your feels

youtube.com/watch?v=kcoTfcF86Jw

youtube.com/watch?v=jz3KIFMw92E

first song

I'm surprised how many people on Cred Forums are still puzzled by this when it seemed pretty transparently obvious that he meant "Metal uses technical wank playing as a cover for its trash lyrics".

Lmao wtf ok

>puzzled
Nah, just felt like doing the whole eks dee meme thing
the meme moreso going after the fact that his wording was particularly broad for his implied meaning, and that the implied meaning is bullshit in a lot of scenarios, rather than the actual phrasing.

Meshuggah

rip in pieces hanneman

youtube.com/watch?v=scnlkISqmrM

and kerry king's hair

Good example of what Christgau means when he said "The dreams [metal] promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive."

The cover art is basically implying "We should do away with our flesh-and-bone bodies and replace them with cybernetically enhanced robots." So you can see what he means by metal promoting absurd and destructive ideas.

>yfw Christgau gave RIB a B+ for some unaccountable reason

This was cutting edge stuff in 1986 although it doesn't seem that remarkable nowadays.

I still think it's great. Modern stuff just feels like a wannabe or tries too hard. This shit is legit and had real soul.

I think the album was so ridiculous and over-the-top cheese that he couldn't help but smile.

Oh please, in the 80s they would have just said Slayer were tryhard and Blue Oyster Cult had real soul. Nostalgia is a powerful, delusive thing.

Blue Oyster Cult and Slayer aren't the same genre so no. And I heard Hell Awaits for the first time around 2006.

Yeah he's sometimes a sucker for "It's so bad, it's good" albums.

There wasn't speed metal in BOC's time, so not a 1v1 comparison admittedly.

Thrash metal was important because it was the first truly American form of metal and it removed most of the European influences from the genre.

He really only likes ZZ Top and Motorhead out of the metal genre.

Can't ask for a much better lineup than on this album. There's a remaster but it's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade imo

>great musicians
Devin is a top-tier vocalist and very good guitarist and Jed Simon is criminally underrated as a guitarist as well. Gene Hoglan might be a fat fuck but he's one of the best metal drummers ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=UI4wpkrnA5U

"As for metal, that's generational and there's more to come. I suppose us graybeards should try and educate ourselves, but it's like Balkan girl groups--I'd be a fool to try and like everything. To me, I've always just treated metal as hard rock, which wasn't always a metal-aligned category. To that end, I preferred the knee-jerk sexism of Use Your Illusion I to the asshole existentialism of Use Your Illusion II. I put James Hetfield out of his misery inside of five plays. Life is short and I found it getting shorter with every song."

But the lyrical content portrays the idea of replacing ourselves with robotic parts in a negative light.

I agree. Christgau should try and educate himself a little better. You'd probably understand Hetfield's pain more if you knew that he was orphaned at 16 and his mother died of a treatable illness.

Or how he literally wrote about "Poor, not actually abused Jonathan Davis."

Dude, what?

You should check out The Ocean, particularly their album Precambrian.

youtube.com/watch?v=voe8Vnzy7ZI

Black Sabbath

Christgau has his head so far up his own ass that he could probably stretch back and go for seconds.

Not Lars though, he's just a rich babby who was attracted to the rock star lifestyle more than being a musician.

Trap Them is sort of in a heavier vein. Their vocalist isn't really the most skilled guy but he really makes you feel the emotion he's trying to convey.

youtube.com/watch?v=fdt7CCUdEEk

I remember how some years ago, Deep Purple had a reunion tour or something and Lars Ulrich asked if he could drum for them on the tour because they're his heroes and the first band he ever saw live, but they told him "Fuck you."

Oh boy, it doesn't get more 90s than this. Makes you want to watch reruns of Deep Space Nine.

why?

This is pretty good youtube.com/watch?v=49vZhQlAEyk

hiro pls

I'm guessing 1: he sucks at drumming and 2: he's a prick

I wouldn't want Lars shitting up my band either. Dave Lombardo guest-drummed for Metallica at one show during their 2003 tour and holy God, he completely made Lars look like the club level drummer he is.

Listen to Ian Paice. You can hear it's him drumming even if you have no idea what you're listening to.

Now listen to Lars. The only reason you know it's him is because it's Metallica and he's got zero technical skills.

Lars was never good from a technical standpoint, although back when he still cared, he could at least bring the energy. He totally phoned it in after 1992.

That's good to know. I've always hated lars ulrich.
>I'm in one of the most commercialized metal bands in history
>i don't make enough money because people Download music

Doesn't make sense. If anything more people hear your music and if anything go to your shows which you make way more money from. Plus every angsty kid buys a metallica shirt. Sorry you can't manage your income faggot. If you want to be rich sell expensive items.

Lars also is a large part of the reason St. Anger was shit.

>mmmuh trash can drums
>telling James to not play melodic riffs
>telling Kirk no solos

I mean, yeah. If you watched Live in Seattle '89, what he lacked in technical skill, he made up for with sheer ferocity, but that was then and this is now.

Good ol' Bob. Exposing the truth about metal since 1970.

That explains why it's so bad

Different atmosphere: definitely. I'd say no better or worse, however. Each has their place and either way there's no reason not to broaden your palette as much as possible

t. Britbong

Amon Amarth are a blast. Good production value and personally I find the vocals strong and very appropriate. Not much variety or evolution in their albums, but they're consistent AF.

youtube.com/watch?v=v20mhyekByU

Give Dark Angel a listen. Maybe start with Darkness Descends.

WTF are you talking about? You find Limp Bizkit, Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn, Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, and Killswitch Engage obnoxious or something?

Before I gained a more nuanced ear, I always thought a majority of American metal post 1995 sounds pretty much like Metallica. At times I look back and don't think I was totally wrong.

we are Ihmohtal
and
THE SUN
NO LONGER
RISEEEEEES

>post-1995
>so, once all the kids who were into Metallica in the 80s-early 90s grew up and had their own bands
Derp.

Christgau actually bashes metal's lyrics, while constantly praising ooga booga bitches-and-money shit.

Chinese and Japanese sounding pissed is creepy.

Paranoid [Warner Bros., 1970]

I suppose I could learn to enjoy them as camp--after all, the title cut is certainly screamworthy. I mean, their audience can't possibly take that Lucifer bit seriously, right? Anyway, I always suspected that horror movies catharsized things I was too rational to care about in the first place. C-

He didn't like 50 Cent though.

How does this review the album I dont even
I mean, how can you not like war pigs at least.Come on dude.
And yet I think he gave shit like lady gaga b's?
The prime example of a contrarian.

Olds cool thrash guy here. (I'm old)
Handle with care by nuclear assault.

Master of Reality [Warner Bros., 1971]

As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk Railroad switch three years ago, in which the critics defined Grand Funk as a good old fashioned white boy blues band, even though I knew of no critics, myself included, who played the records. Grand Funk are American--dull. Black Sabbath are English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovers are buying, I don't even care if the band actually believes their own Christian/liberal/Satanist muck. This is a dimwitted, amoral exploitation. D+

youtube.com/watch?v=lEuxFiVbvk0

youtube.com/watch?v=-27AHfaVn6M

That's some good shiy

why don't you just fucking listen to music and enjoy it for what it is

Ghost is garbage

this is mixed like shit

I SEE TOWERS AFLAME
AND CORPSES TOO
I SEE THE DOOM
OF ME AND YOU
AND I THINK TO MYSELF
WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

I SEE SKIES OBSCURED
I SEE NO LIGHT
DARK FREEZING DAYS
DARK SLEEPLESS NIGHTS
AND I THINK TO MYSELF
WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

THE CLOUDS OF RADIATION ARE SO PRETTY IN THE SKY
TUMOURS ON THE FACES ON THE PEOPLE WHO SURVIVED
I SEE FRIENDS IN THE PAST KILL EACH OTHER FOR FOOD
THEY'RE REALLY STARVING, SO WILL YOU

I SEE BABIES DIE
I WATCH THEM DECOMPOSE
THEY'LL HURT MUCH MORE THAN
I'LL EVER KNOW
AND I THINK TO MYSELF
WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

youtube.com/watch?v=IVvJTzWbxgY
youtube.com/watch?v=hJI9Zs753ZE
youtube.com/watch?v=VqsEeKNGKeM
youtube.com/watch?v=MKt4aWWqI00

here you are

youtube.com/watch?v=S35HesWIXug

I win the thread btw. No contest.

this is p cool, thanks. you can straight up hear the slayer in it.

lol this recommendation was literally perfect user

Not great production as the guitars lack clarity and are too way distorted, which is a shame because it has plenty of tasty riffs and is probably the GOAT brutal thrash album (tied with Pleasure to Kill). Imagine them if they had Reign in blood quality production, we would even be talking about RiB.

Metal very rarely has great production unless maybe 90s Metallica.

*wouldnt