If the beatles aren't the greatest band of all time, then who are?

if the beatles aren't the greatest band of all time, then who are?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM
youtube.com/watch?v=46IQu0yuJzU
youtube.com/watch?v=XtWDcam4UcE
youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
rateyourmusic.com/list/noname219/top_artists/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My vote for greatest rock band goes to Cardiacs

Whoever you think is the greatest band

The RYM list is pretty decent. take it with a pinch of salt but generally its alright

skynyrd

TVU

Ffs let this "Beach Boys is better than Beatles" meme end. They fucking did 2 albums that were somewhat good and the other wasn't even published meanwhile every album made by Beatles is at least good if not god tier.

you're an idiot. the best beatles albums are god tier, and they were the most consistent band in history, but the beach boy's peak was absolutely unmatched, elder god tier

The Beach Boys have good albums other than Pet Sounds and SMiLE but otherwise I agree with you.

Black Sabbath

I legitimately think the Beach Boys' combined discography>>>Beatles discography

not even joking, they clearly don't have as cohesive albums, Pet Sounds and SMiLE aside. But they have about a million quality tracks, demos and alternative versions. they went through so many different styles from their conception through about 1977, and i think their discography is a lot more fun and interesting to go through than the beatles

Nice try.

Agreed.

The Beatles were a better band for sure but the Beach Boys have a superior discography in terms of sheer quantity of good material and stylistic variety. The Beatles had a much more concise, cohesive oeuvre which is much easier to explore because there are nowhere near as many lows as the Beach Boys hit.

>beatles getting progressively better

Yeah, okay.

any of these

Go on. Fucking try to disprove this.

death grips of course

I vote for Fugazi.

Well, it's hard to!

Who are you?

Who who

Who who

Have Beach Boys influenced as many artists and bands as Beatles did?

Have Beach Boy passed the time trial? Does their music sound today as fresh as it sounded when it was originally released? I listen to a Beach Boys' Pet Sounds today and I feel like I'm in the 60's, meanwhile I listen to I Want You and I feel like I'm at a rock concert listening to fresh doom metal.

Have Beach Boys evolved like Beatles did in the period of time of 7 years (Please, Please Me, 1963 - Let It Be, 1970)?

The answer to all these basic questions is no, they have not. On the other hand, it's a yes for Beatles. Their albums were constantly non-stop getting better and better with only months of difference between each other and even after the band's break-up, their solo-career not only proved that every single of them was still talented, they standed as individuals remaining as pop icons no matter how big was the weight of what being a beatle implicates. Not saying Beach Boys are bad or something like that, I'm absolutely not, they were a hell of a band. Both bands also influenced each other in their best years. Hell, we wouldn't have Pet Sounds if it wasn't for Rubber Soul, and if it wasn't for Pet Sounds, Pepper's wouldn't exist either.

None of this post has to do with which band has the more enjoyable discography. Great attempt at disproving opinions though.

a person's enjoyment is absolutely subjective, I'm just saying solid facts. history, mate.

This

Those aren't facts though.

If you wanted to reply to the OP, then fair enough, I'd agree that the Beatles are the better band overall solely because they actually worked as a band whereas the Beach Boys didn't really do that. But you replied to some guy who happens to prefer the Beach Boys to the Beatles as far as their discographies go and spammed a bunch of cursory rock history knowledge at him.

No chill.

>which band has the more enjoyable discography
Both objectively and subjectively it is The Beatles. Why? Because it's timeless, brilliant and even the plebs can enjoy it.

>enjoyment
>objective

Reply.

me on the left

For me Pet Sounds is good, but it's just that Pet Sounds ae. is really forces and it has poor instrument choices like kazoo and that kind of stuff that give me a huge turn-off. The music made by the Beatles is sincere and complicated, yet so simple to listen to. Only that makes Beatles the winner here.

forced*

It's a tie between Gorillaz, Blur and the Pixies

how so?

>Pixies

but charles the fat faggot had to go and taint the legacy with these new crap albums.

>Blur
LOL

surprised that the pasta hasnt been posted yet

Sonic Youth, Unwound or Can :^)

Because if I had to choose one band to listen to for the rest of my life, it would probably be one of the three. Blur created britpop, and even when the genre was dead and the guitartist was gone they managed to make a perfect, award winning album (Think Tank). Gorillaz also kind of created a new genre of music, almost everyone likes at least one song by them even if they don't know the name, and they managed to be taken seriously as a cartoon band. Pixies are one of the most underrated bands out there, and the main inspirations of many other bands (Nirvana, Weezer, Radiohead, Blur). They're praised by respected artists (even Bowie loved them). Their unique style of rock inspired the sound of the 90's and beyond. I hope they get the recognition they deserve in their upcoming album

I personally loved Indie Cindy, and really looking forward to Head Carrier. I really don't get the Kim Deal circlejerk, she was good but not unreplaceable

pretty much this

>Gorillaz
>Blur

Tell me why I'm wrong. Because they didn't make it big in the US? They're brilliant and the perfect example of a versatile band that never stays in their comfort zone. Even after 12 years they still got it, The Magic Whip was beautiful and has everything

what's wrong with my answer? Name one bad gorillaz or blur song. Leisure doesn't count.

if your still in this thread (or if anyone else wants to share), can you list a couple beach boy songs that you feel are exceptionally quality? (aside from the ones everyone already knows like pet sounds)

The great thing about music (and art in general) is that it's all subjective. Every album IS the greatest album of all time (to someone) every song is the best song of all time.

Girls and Boys
Song 2.

I've only listened to Plastic Beach and it was really bad. I can't remember the name of any song from it. I like Feel Good Inc and Clinton Eastwood but as far as I know those are the only ones I like

R.E.M.

not greatest band, but it's for sure the best formation King Crimson had

It's not my favorite band, but I cannot think of any bad album by them.
And yes, it's the best formation (and definitely better than The Beatles)

Girls and Boys was a Britpop explosion and while not a masterpiece, not bad either. It was a pop song.
Song 2 was a parody of American rock, As Damon himself has confirmed.
As for gorillaz, you either have shit taste or should give their discography a listen again. Plastic Beach is their least popular album but still a masterpiece. It's just that it doesn't used the dumb Max Martin chords everyone's used to.

How do new albums affect your enjoyment of old ones?

Also, I had to listen to Plastic Beach about three times before unexpectedly falling in love with the album. The more I listen to it the more I love it. This has only happened to me with that album and Everyday Robots

youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM
youtube.com/watch?v=46IQu0yuJzU
youtube.com/watch?v=XtWDcam4UcE
youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw

These aren't exactly obscure songs, but to a casual fan they might be unknown. I think they easily stand up to any of the Beatles' best work

I love Surf's Up so much.

Are there any musicians today doing things similar to the Beach Boys back in the 60s? Some AnCo maybe because of the harmonies but anything else?

Yeah, Surf's Up is probably my favorite Beach Boys song.

Even Scaruffi prefers the Beatles over those drug addicts who make music Toddyesque music at their creative peak

Oasis

Queen

>tfw I used to be an edgy kid who thought the Beatles were shit because of the scruffy pasta
>tfw compared them to 1 direction
>actually take a proper listen to all their stuff
>tfw there is a very plausible argument to be made here for greatest band of all time
The problem I think Cred Forums kiddies have with the Beatles is simply popularity. Ask any older person who their favourite band is and the Beatles will most likely feature. Its natural when so many people think something others will try to go against the grain.The Beatles are not shit, they just have the misfortune of being considered the GOAT band

That said I still think TVU and Nico -s/t is probably better than any Beatles album

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Better Beatles of course

Dre nigga

what the fuck are you on about. Just took a look at this rateyourmusic.com/list/noname219/top_artists/.

That is going to have to be taken with a mountain of salt.

>joy division in the top 10
>the smiths and radio head in the top 10
>all the aforementioned + nick drake above bob dylan

Seriously thinking about this is hurting my brain. So many criteria and time periods to consider. Ow.