>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22

Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb

Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Impulse Response Pack
>mediafire.com/download/svtfxjtillrdwt8/Gods Cab 1.3.rar
>mediafire.com/download/4n28zkjw0zgmdj9/ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav (embed) (embed)

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2-s2jDU3Wtc
youtube.com/watch?v=cxb38JvXi2M
drive.google.com/file/d/0B6MEgxEnSZpuNlI5LVhxLU9MRjA/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=j0IAXTv63H8
clyp.it/furqwrsx
clyp.it/1tc0hnsq
youtube.com/watch?v=YlrRTeMq8fw
youtube.com/watch?v=jndjluWJSLw
youtube.com/watch?v=RPsK1pDLGwU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7HZ8aIrFk
adamrafferty.com/2012/03/19/guitar-right-hand-technique-nails-vs-flesh/
ebay.com/itm/Westwood-Esteva-Concerto-Classical-Acoustic-Guitar-Cedar-and-Zirecote/302073519690?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160323102634&meid=ce70e283fed94107a188b4f16ee96f61&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=291853022750
youtube.com/watch?v=41YqzHoCgk4
youtube.com/watch?v=XVUQxdn-MoQ
thomann.de/de/yamaha_c80.htm
thomann.de/de/ortega_r121sn_nt.htm
rondomusic.com/GammaRaye.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vyCVuvatexQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9f9HHtvN-EE
youtube.com/watch?v=qIgiYvis3OY
youtube.com/watch?v=drjVp293mdU
vocaroo.com
youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz7cUw4Ls
youtube.com/watch?v=aEq57S094ro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

can anyone recommend some solid intro lesson books for bass?

This guy's just demoing a pedal, but any music/band recommendations for the kind of stuff he's playing?

youtube.com/watch?v=2-s2jDU3Wtc

youtube.com/watch?v=cxb38JvXi2M

drive.google.com/file/d/0B6MEgxEnSZpuNlI5LVhxLU9MRjA/view?usp=sharing

Ed Friedland Bass method book

Just picked this up today. It's a dream.
>dat tonal range

how do i improve my picking accuracy? if i'm doing a pattern like the one below i tend to lose my place, is it just a matter of playing slowly until i 'get it' i've only been playing a couple of months.

E------------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------------------
G ------0-------0-----------0-------0-----------0-------0-----
D ----2---2---2---2-------2---2---2---2-------2---2---2---2--
A --2-------------------2-------------------2--------------------
E 0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------

Jesus christ, what is it about guitar that pulls in so many fedoras?

Yes, play slowly. And when I say slowly, I don't mean by a few beats, I mean slow WAY down. Put your metronome to 25bpm if you have to, and focus on accuracy and precision, speeding up progressively. This is the closest thing there is to a magic bullet in learning to play an instrument--if you learn to walk, you will inevitably learn to run.

I just odered fretwraps for my bass. Laugh at me please.

can you recommend any similar patterns to the one I posted to practice?

Can't go wrong with scales.

Can confirm, The Bass Method by Ed Friedland is fantastic.

>Fender PJ bass
>MiM
Jesus fucking Christ....

>PJ

wow get fucked my man. i mean, congrats, but thanks no thanks.

>guitar and bass

so, no place for this beauty here?

wheres the strings?

>wheres the strings?

sliders at the center.

who else /eagles/ here?

comfiest band of all time

youtube.com/watch?v=j0IAXTv63H8

>Sliders
>Not knobs and patching
But yeah, these threads are for guitars. I only really bring up synths in synth threads and prod.

enjoy your monophonic 1 octave keyboard. cuck.

>1 octave keyboard.
It's connected to an 88-key controller.

>monophonic
Sounds thick. Just layer up or use another synth.
clyp.it/furqwrsx

You'll never be John Fahey.

To anyone with a Classic Player Jazzmaster
Will a bridge cover fit on the bridge,? I know the squier one is different, closer to the original 60's version

come on we already have enough trouble talking about playing the actual damn thing, we're fucked if we start talking about synths or whatver other instruments

I've had my eye on the 60s Baja Telecaster for a whirl now, but would be worth saving up further and getting an AVRI instead? They seem to go for ~$1000 used as opposed to ~$600 for a Baja. Same question for the more expensive AC15 w/ an Alnico Blue vs the normal Greenback model, too.

Do you have any friends? This is a serious question, I'll tell you how to make a decision.

Decided to order the resonator bass, I can just return it if it's trash.

Digging the Model B pedal from tone city, great tone from this thing. How's everyone's night going?

clyp.it/1tc0hnsq

My only friends moved recently :'/

Who else uses Jazz III's? which model?

My current favorite is the Tortex, which I usually customize by adding some grip with a knife

The carbon max grip is also great but it's a bit too stiff, the tortex is more comforatble to play

the intro of fade to black

I used the XLs for a long time, but now I'm using tortex sharps 1.5mm. Been meaning to get some tortex and ultex jazz III's

i used to use those when playing electric

i cant remember if there were different models but i used red ones that were v v stiff

i started to find when i was standing up and strumming that the pick was a little too small to hold on to well, so i switched to a traditional shape but still v stiff

for acoustic work i usually use really flimsy POS picks

I use the XL's and the JP's. I like the regular red ones but they're just a tad too small for me.

I really recommend the Tortex Jazz III, sounds and plays great. If I could just have the max grip thingy on the tortex model

Ultex is kind of a weird one for me. I bought a pack of them, but right after I also got a pack of the tortex ones. Even though I like the ultex's sound, which is a bit brighter than the carbon max grip, I now prefer the tortex because of it's thinness.That's why I rarely use ultex

The red one is the basic jazz III in 1.38mm thickness.
Hard to go back to regular size picks after a year or two with the III's, but for acoustic I play lighter regular size max grips.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA How's that? I can keep going if you want.

That sucks, sorry.

Fender Teles are petty consistent across their entire price range, if it was me I'd look at the fretboard radius, the American vintage will probably have a 7.5". If the Baja has a 9.5" I'd buy that one instead, you can always play with pickups later if you're not quite satisfied but a 7.5" radius would be a deal killer for me.

they breddy gud

how's the grip on the JP's?

Probably trying the .88 primetone and the kirk hammet next time
I've only seen ultex models in my local shops, so I have to order Jazz III's from thomann every time.

fuck, replied to myself, meant for

Poll time.

Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

what killed /gg/ like this? this shit has been dead for a couple of weeks now

school started

oh

Well, the JP logo provides a little grip but they can be a little slippery when you're not used to them.

I got an epiphone Les Paul special II for $90 but it's beat up to shit so I'm cleaning and umdenting everything

Was it worth the buy do you guys think

yeah a basic beginner guitar for $90 isn't bad. a good set up and you can lean on it for sure. head on over to youtube

I have a fender strat I just wanted to fuck with the pickups on an epiphone and it was hella cheaps

>has a fender strat
>buys epiphone les paul special

Why not it was cheap and I wanted to tear it apart

still weird

Had classical guitar lessons from when I was a kid.

Got set up really well with technique and theory.

Eventually did a music degree but on a different instrument

i'm considering doing this with a rondo
4 pickup tele guy inspired me

Sure.

Having a beater that you can experiment on without having to worry about fucking it up is great.

I have a Squier strat that I do the same thing with.

Even use it for gigs where I don't want to take my good strat

This nigga gets me

>monophonic
Do you also hate most wind instruments?
>1 octave
More like 3

What's the best way to learn fingerstyle guitar playing? I'm mostly interesting in folk baroque, singer/songwriters like Nick Drake or Jackson C Frank and American Primitivism, and I'd like to be able to play things like that. Is there some kind of course, a book or something that you would recommend?

>MiM
>PJ
>Seafoam

You have chosen poorly.

Anyone here play classical guitar? I need new strings, right now it has a set of d'addario pro arte's on it.

Pro Arte hard tension have always served me well

reminds a lot of Melody's Echo Chamber: youtube.com/watch?v=YlrRTeMq8fw

Thanks, I'll look into them

what ams yours problems skwisgar? you dont like the classicals guitars? Ye olde musics is the first black metals.

>lost bridge pin over 4 hours ago when I popped it out
>still can't find it

I just got a hand-me-down acoustic guitar and I know nothing about playing music.

I'd really like to play classical guitar at some point. I don't have much interest in playing modern music or vocals or anything, and I really don't want to learn by playing tabs etc.

Are there methods for people who want to tackle guitar as a classical instrument from the ground up, learn music theory and all that? Or is that too small a niche, and most people learned on piano or something?

Found this in a weird ass vintage shop yesterday. Paid 300 brittbongs for it, got a pretty good deal since the guy apparently has had it for years and had it advertised at £600.
Spent all afternoon giving it a good clean and setup, the action was about a trillion miles high and the pickup selector was loose. Got it working now and it plays and sounds like a dream.
Did I do good /gg/?

learn how to read sheet (which takes about ten minutes to understand how it works)
learn your fretboard (ie where the notes are on your guitar)
play the notes you find on your sheet

I would have tried a little bit lower than that depending on how it looked before but that seems fair enough if you like it.

wind instruments have an instant control over the dynamics though, I know you can change the ADSR of a synth on the fly, but it seems a bit awkward.

I'm saying that though but I have no experience with actual synths and even less with wind instruments.

Why did this dumb bitch cut it while it was in tension

Where is this vintage guitar shop in the UK?

Tasty Burns btw

Is Estas Tonnes the greatest guitar player ever lived? After listening to him why can't you ever like anyone else?

youtube.com/watch?v=jndjluWJSLw

Why are classical players so patrician compared to steel stringers?

He is. I saw him live last weekend several times.
Absolutely based. I can't believe it.

Does anyone here find this bass attractive?

btw if someone wants to try one of his songs, this dude watched the Golden Dragon video a million times and wrote down all the notes ( in the description)
youtube.com/watch?v=RPsK1pDLGwU

Its not that hard at first, but the speed is just overwhelming.

Why was he so great?

If it plays and sounds well, I could rock it.

Thank fuck

I always used Jazz IIIs but have recently moved to the JPs. Give them a try even if you dislike Petrucci, they are awesome

It's definitely impressive in terms of construction

pls respond

errr what??

this guy is not very good

bad technique and boring music

Can you read music at all?

Yeah, in terms of acoustic players he's kinda average at best.

Check out Livio Gianola instead
youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7HZ8aIrFk

I can read the notes, though I'm slow at it and I need to practise a bit to get faster, and I need to learn notes on the fret, I only used to play simple songs based on chords and I want to learn something different.

he had paul mccartney to teach him how to play

Fingerstyle on guitar reminds me so much of bass playing, I'd love to get a classical guitar but I can't grow the nails because it'd interfere with bass playing. Can I just use my fingers on a classical guitar? Or is the string spacing too tight? I suppose it'd sound different too.

Because as good as he is, he doesn't play every genre ever made.

I like the shape.

JPs are great, but I still prefer Ultex 2.0mm Jazz IIIs, my technique's too used to the fact my

eh, while it's definnitely something that must have taken a lot of time, there's nothing really crazy.

ah man now you're making me want a nylon 8 string even more.
that's really fucking impressive though, I really like that arpeggio at 17 seconds in.

bass technique on guitar feels awkward, you can slap, pop and double thumb, but you have to be extremely cautious.
you could just get artificial nails though

you don't play classical with your nails, you play with a combination of nails and flesh. IMO the shorter the nails the better the sound.

adamrafferty.com/2012/03/19/guitar-right-hand-technique-nails-vs-flesh/

A pretty decent article that explores nails vs flesh. Tommy Emmanuel uses his fingers and he's fucking good...

Re the nylon 8... yeah, it is an awesome instrument. I love the timbre of the low notes so much... body for daaays. The guy in the vid has many other vids, well worth checking out

>You see that dark grey/black stuff in the bottom of the pickup hole? That is shielded paint. You may not have really needed the foil.
yea, I suspected that. Saw some of the shiny paint through the gray/black in the control hole, wasn't sure though so I put it in anyway.

>you can slap, pop and double thumb, but you have to be extremely cautious.
No, just normal finger style playing. Seeing classical guitarists just reminds me of normal finger style on bass.
Interesting, maybe I have to get one after all. Are there any good "cheap" classical guitars or is it all in the realms of 1000$+? I also see plenty of acoustic guitars from local luthiers or brands on the used market here (Austria), maybe that's worth looking into. We also have a lot of spanish stuff here.

Paying more than 500€ for an acoustic guitar is probably a ripoff. Good ones start from 200€ or so.

Also a little bit of nail is needed in my opinion, so I don't agree with this post 100% Flamenco for example needs some nail for the ragueo parts.

yeah unfortunately I can't try any of the "budget" one (because 600€-900€ isn't exactly budget imo), and I plan on buying some more things before that. Definitely going to play classical once I get an electric 8.

Oh, if you're just talking about regular finger bass, then I think it shares some similarities. they're not the same movements, but your finger indepencies and even just being able to keep a steady rhythm should carry on. Nylons have a lot less tension than bass strings so it might feel a little bit weird goingn from one to another.
I've heard good stuff about the cheap yamaha classicals.

Any recommendations for specific models?
>nails
Pic related, usually like that or a little shorter for bass playing. Not sure if that'd work, long nails are really problematic on bass IMO.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

As the other user said the Yamaha models are really solid and for a good price.

As for the nails, that is pretty damn short but I guess you could still play. There those fingerpicking rings you can buy too, but they sound very sharp.

Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can test them out somewhere and maybe get one of the nicer ones for cheap used.

>fanned fret and compound radius
well, that's probably the only time I'm impressed by a Jackson
too bad it's ugly, only 28" at most and the fan looks uncomfortable at the beginning

Can't seem to find Bad Monkey's anywhere. At least any un-modded ones. I know that they're discontinued but fuck i thought there would be some somewhere. only 2 stock ones on ebay and one is beaten up, the other has a starting bid at retail price.

You can leave your nails long and play bass like Geddy Lee.

I'm ready to go to jail senpai

Has anyone here tried V-picks?
I still have 3 stilettos left.
I lost the other 2...

wait a second, these fret markers make no fucking sense

Pretty sure there are black lines between the white ones after the 12th marker.

Would this be a decent tube screamer alternative?

>Toadworks Meat Jnr Deluxe Boost

What's wrong with PJs?

jelly and another jelly is better than peanut butter and jelly

we're still talking about bass guitars here right

looks expensive desu
which TS are we talking about here, 8, 808 or 9?

yeah
the true king of jelly sandwiches is butter and jelly inside a baguette

It's going second hand for £50. Well anything to give my amp a little bit more balls.

I like the sound of a bad monkey/TS mini/Maxon

I agree despite tending to want more variety. I think the jazz has more tones than a PJ, for some reason. However that can be remedied with the right pickups. Which is definitely a good idea considering the crap pickups MIM come with.

Go for it but that's clearly a boost pedal and by TS i think you really want a clear transparent OD which can also function as a boost pedal but not limited to.

P on its own sounds amazing
Two J pups sounds godly

I don't know why people insist on combining both and ruining those sounds.

I've never been able to decide which aftermarket Jazz pickups I like, all I've played sound pretty much the same.

hmmm okay, thanks, i'm just new to the world of valve amps. previously been mostly digital. Any you could reccomend? I play pretty heavy stuff, emg81/85s going into a peavey valveking 100. The better price the better, i'm not exactly sure i could stretch to the £50 for that pedal this month.

I think you're right

Going for a P is going for the easiest road
it always works but it's really predictable

with that set up you really are set for life already and you just need a boost pedal for solos then?
I haven't heard meat jnr deluxe boost in person.

There's also Joyo Ultimate drive, it's chinese stuff though but the earliest alphadrive that sold for like 199usd were just repainted versions of the joyo ultimate drive which is around 40usd. but then again it's not a clean boost.

You can check DOD's overdrive as well.

Though of all the boosts I've tried, Boss BD2 is the best clean boost BUT I'm not sure if it's within 50GBP used.

this means literally nothing.
or maybe it means you're retarded
>really predictable
>oh yeah sweet bass but it's just very predictable
>oh no i'm not talking about the playing, or the sound, just that i could predict you would own a p bass
>that's bad
>it just is, trust me

well, ideally a 5150 would have been great. It's just the amp is lacking a low end punch the the highs are a little fizzy, i've been told that i can smooth that out with some good front end boosters. I just want that bit of extra balls.

okay thanks, Joyo are the same as the Harley Bentons aren't they? I'll give it a go, i'll just keep looking i guess and try out some of those suggestions. Thanks man

>>oh no i'm not talking about the playing, or the sound, just that i could predict you would own a p bass
I was talking about the sound actually
way to work yourself up over nothing

Yes, but it has a little grit on it.

Boss BD2 really makes your clean tone fat without driving the tubes too much.

Try both and I hope you can find what you're really looking for.

Great, thanks mate.

don't play stupid now
you can't possibly tell from a master what bass is being used
anyone can dial a similar tone from a P bass or a jazz bass or a reverse flying v with EMGs
it can sound like any other bass
you can't possibly tell for sure what kind of bass is being used from how it sounds
you're just being a pretentious cunt, admit it

ethan, being lost in the mix because your bandmates don't want to hear your terrible playing isn't a bass tone

>you're just being a pretentious cunt, admit it

That's what we do here.

alright, let's assume that i play bass in a band and that i get "lost in the mix", intentionally, because my bandmates don't want to hear my playing (they prefer settling for a shitty mix instead of kicking me out for a decent bassist, beacause in your imagination everyone is as retarded as you)
i'm not sure why you would want to do that, other than moving the goalposts and saving some face

now back to the P bass, admit it, you were being a cunt. you can't tell a p bass from another bass for sure, you can just vaguely guess, and in an attempt to appear special or hip, you said they were "predictable" (which means pretty much nothing)

sup guys, I am a poorfag who has finally saved up enough money to buy decent guitars. I only need two, one acoustic dreadnought and one classical, and I already picked my acoustic steel string out.

What is a good classical guitar in the $200 to $300 range, that is reliable and has good tone?

So far I've looked at Cordoba, Yamaha, and this link

ebay.com/itm/Westwood-Esteva-Concerto-Classical-Acoustic-Guitar-Cedar-and-Zirecote/302073519690?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160323102634&meid=ce70e283fed94107a188b4f16ee96f61&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=291853022750

>What is a good classical guitar in the $200 to $300 range, that is reliable and has good tone?

none of them

user pls

pls

Check the cheap Aria guitars.
Good tone comes from good strings

Just get something with a lightweight body. Classical do very well with thin bodies since they have a bit less kinetic energy in the strings. A lot of high end is lost with a thick body. As far as reliability, meh, it's a classical, they all do alright with a bit of TLC.

I guess you can tell I'm not a big classical player but that's what I've noticed for what it's worth. The tough thing is many cheaper guitars target students and beginners who benefit more from something thick and sturdy than something more fragile but resonant. Good luck finding one.

Not the guy but here's your (You) holy shit dude.

He's right though. Fuck off for wanting "good" product with a poor amount of cash.

Get an entry level Washburn classical. We sell one at my shop for less than $200 and it's pretty decent.

>alright, let's assume that i play bass in a band and that i get "lost in the mix", intentionally
then why should I listen to you ?

Wanted to ask the same, i hope to just not get a meme answer. I like jazz bass, i like p bass. But never had a PJ, so, is like no really sinergic??., I mean, you could just turn down volume pot of jazz pup and you have the p bass sound isnt??? So is basically a p bass with more Range of sounds.

Speaking of bass, do you guys think you prefer ceramic mudbuckers to the vintage alnico ones in eb-0s? I'm putting one in my bass and I'm not sure if I want to swap the magnets... I guess I'll try both but I'm interested if anyone already has made a comparison. There's stuff I like about both options, but I think for tonal variety the more extreme muddiness of alnico might be best. Thoughts?

BTW these artecs are just like the 60s ones in construction, minus the cardboard... Much more faithful than the epiphones.

It is okay if you like p bass as you can always just Turn down the j pup. It is basically a p bass with extra sounds

Just picked up this L2500 yesterday, now THIS is tonal range

If you can't tell the difference between a P-Bass youtube.com/watch?v=41YqzHoCgk4
and a Jazz bass youtube.com/watch?v=XVUQxdn-MoQ
I think it's time you look for another hobby.

>Good tone comes from good strings
really ? that kinda sounds like bullshit, the strings I like the most are the cheapest, and I like them because they're bright and don't break. But my bassfriend spent 50$ on elexir strings for a defretted cheap 200$ bass, and it does sound nice despite the fact it's an absolute horror to play.

PJ is in the same spirit as HSS, with an HSS strat for example your two single coils will sound exactly like the two single coils in an SSS strat

Pic related

watch out, here comes the "bb-bu-but soapbars dont have PURSHONALITY"

what do the switches do user

Turn on personalty

I came out of the cinema drunk and bought >pic related.

Personally, you're turning me on user.

thanks, but not reason to be giant meanies

I am not expecting it to sound like an italian handcrafted guitar made from rare wood, stained with virgin's blood, and having horn bone on it

I just want something that isn't a total piece of shit

Yes, they are slightly better than a P by that reasoning. However, blame instrument makers for not offering a more suitable pickup option to a J. PJs are mostly a result of fender cocksucking instead of innovation, and a desire to make a bass look good instead of be more functional.

A better design for a P bass would utilize a humbucker with strong string response such as a music man pickup or the new fender dimension pups. Additionally, It would be closer to the neck than the J is in a PJ. But people don't often offer that because anything that isn't fender is automatically ugly.

The J pickup adds high end and grind in a way to works poorly. The issue is that it tends to kill all smoothness in the middle position. It sounds a lot more like a J in the bridge with the bass slightly boosted than anything like a P. This is mostly because the J won't be effectively him cancelled by the P pickup. Something many people don't realize is that hum cancelling has special tonal properties. It's what people talk about when they say that jazz bass volume controls are very interactive. Whenever the two coils are the same volume, they smooth out.

The PJ can't do this. A humbucker would blend much, much more effectively because you would actually be adding what you want without losing all smoothness. Additionally parallel/series options for the humbucker would allow for more important tonal variety than vol/vol/tone.

You can out them in series or parallel and with changing the 4p2T switch with another one with a third bystand position you can add the split coil (using outer pups only). Anyway in the paralel position sounds close enough to using two single coils in the middle position (is the same basically just the single coils happen to be one next to the other). It plays better and sounds better than my mim jazzbass. And you can also get heavier and grittier for hard rock/punk/metal.

I'm a bit gutted as I don't have money often and I wanted a walk man, but I ballsed it up. Oh well.
Overall it is for the price of $300 pretty well built. Sturdy, nice paint job, It's a well put together guitar for the money. I love the switch, it's very sturdy, cute retro knobs. It looks and feels decent.

The bridge pickup is bland-o-rama though. It does a job quite bright but no personality. The neck pickup is quite fun, really clicky and twangy. It hasn't got the jazz sound I want so I will, put in a new bridge pickup then no-one will tell the difference when it's plugged in.

hey ho

I'm not doubting soapbar pickups, I'm just pointing out some people are retarded

I fear bridge pups that close to the bridge. Can you sample some tones with just the bridge pup? Especially series/parallel or whatever options you have with the tone 100%. I'd learn a lot.

cool knobs

Wouldn't a P + humbucker essentially be two humbuckers?

But yeah you're pretty much completely correct, couldn't have put it in better words myself.

strangely the neck pickup is at an angle, the whole casing is, not sure why...

Those aren't really what most people call soapbars. For good reason too, they don't sound like them and are constructed differently.

because that's just something you came up with to try and move the focus of this argument out of the bullshit you said about p basses being "predictable", remember?

even if it were true, which you have absolutely no way of knowing other than me saying so (it isn't, by the way), i made a pretty clear point as to why you're trying so hard to convince others that it is instead of adressing the fact that you made a very shitty, baseless and pretentious remark about a very popular model of bass just to appear special.

i'm not even sure how you came to the conclusion that the SDRE song uses a p bass 100% positively when you could easily dial a very similar tone with a jazz bass, or if you knew beforehand; but even if you are some sort of bass psychic and you can hear through eq and compression or whatever processing or fx with your third eye, please explain why and how the use of a p bass is "predictable" and why that is bad

>just to appear special.
>on an anonymous javanese cardboard smuggling interface
i legit think they're boring and have a boring sound and that's it
i don't give a shit if you use one

Yeah, and despite being both humbuckers you would wind up with more tonal options that fall in the smooth domain without necessarily losing crisp tones if you have any coil tap involved, or really just oversized pole pieces/another strategy for string response. After all, stingrays don't lack in the clarity department. The key here is to not kill what most people actually want out of a PJ bass, a killer middle position.

Pick up selector (3 positions).
Series/Parallel (2 positions, modable for 3 positions to split coil them).
Preamp bypass ( passive mode, active mode, active mode with treble boost).
The knobs are bass and treble + volume.

In passive mode parallel position still retains the clarity and dinamics of a single coils (in other words, "personality"). Series position is how traditional humbuckers are wired, so you have higher output, fatter/low middy tone but less highs and clarity). Active mode flattens the dinamics and the output goes even higher, which is better for heavier styles where personality in bass is not important.

If you're going to go all the way with your reasoning, you should know that there are 4 different types of alnicos going from alnico II to alnico V (and that's only the tip of the iceberg). Now, I don't know which type is used in stock EB-0 basses but finding out might help you make your choice.

>in other words, "personality"

Nice I love overisezd poles.

I prefer Jazz basses for the killer bridge sound and I can just dial in a bit of neck to add bass without going full blown P-Bass.

Thanks user.
>Active
pls no

I play with fuzzes and overdrives I'm not an active bass man.

back to my initial reply, then >i was just pretending to be retarded! it's just a cartoon website meme!
kek

oh and not that you ever asked or that i ever implied so, but i don't own a p bass

Personaly I can vouch for Yamahas.
Something like this:
thomann.de/de/yamaha_c80.htm
Is bought many times and everyone is happy with it.
I also played this one in the store and it was quite nice and quite sexy.
thomann.de/de/ortega_r121sn_nt.htm
Still in your price range.

Cordobas are nice but also more expensive. As for the ebay one I can't really say since I haven't played them, but I think the wood looks a little bit too busy for my taste.

>i was just pretending to be retarded!
no, I just don't like P bass, and they have the most boring bass sound

oh i know you're not pretending, user

Yeah, I know. EB-0s use alnico V. I could try others, but with a 30k ohm resistance I don't think many nuances would survive, and I don't think I want anything muddier than an alnico V. I guess some other alnico could be nice but like I said it's not the most hi-fi pickup. For once I think my decision ought to be somewhat easier.

Only bridge. Passive parallel, Passive series, Active parallel, active series, Treble boos parallel, Treble boost series

Excuse the playing. //we . tl / hjkDvj4uTh

>rondomusic.com/GammaRaye.html

*Played into my ipad garage band with crappy cable, i think it has a little bit or reverb.

how can you improve the mobility in your fingers? I can't move my pinky independently and my middle and ring finger only without resistance, when I out my thumb against them they give away

practice sequencing scales every single day . also play and practice chords that need more than a bare, and practice swapping them smoothly.

I have no idea how to use this link

Google Scott's bass finger independence, he's got some exercises, they work just as well for guitar

we transfer, just quit the spaces an put it all together. 4 chan dont let you put the link just like that because then thinks is spam

How come when I take the chords from "Rock You Like A Hurricane":

i - III - iv - VI - VII

and extend the harmony out to 7th chords:

im7 - IIImaj7 - ivm7 - VImaj7 - VII7

it just kinda sounds like shit?

it's kind of a weird progression, might only work with power chords. not near a guitar so can't even listen

Jazz 3 max grips 1.14mm for acoustic/most electric playing and 1.5mm jazz 3 for a few different songs on electric

r/guitar

who else /bigstubby/ here?

the red XLs

>only 3mm

how could you use something so flimsey

1970s Yamaha made in Nippon Gakki factory.

You should be able to get a 245s in that price range. New classicals in that price range are garbage.

>trying to transcribe a riff by ear
>figured out the intervals but none of the pitches sound right against the song
How do you go about this? Play chords over it until one sounds good then start with the root?

But McCartney himself said Harrison was a better guitarist.

It's usually easiest to pick out the highest note of a chord. So I usually start at the highest note and try to work my way down.

easy. just jump into it like you would jump into a pool

Paul had to play his taxman solo, he's obviously better than George

I like 2mm a bit better for how it feels to grip, but I like the 3mm's release for tremolo picking.

Woe is I

they feel like cheap plastic

But the Taxman solo was shit.

>music degree

George Harrison had the superior post-beatles career.

what do you mean you figured out the intervals but the pitches don't sound right?

they're the same thing. also, just trial and error

somebody linked me this the other day and it helped a lot:

youtube.com/watch?v=vyCVuvatexQ

good luck

btw you cab use sandpaper to get a better grip on them, that's what my guitar teacher did

Go watch Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock video, there's everything you need to know about alternate picking.

>implying ATMP is better than Ram

They're hard as hell, though. Really don't wear easily. I don't know what they're made of, but that plastic feel seems to be why they have a slick release. They're kinda slippery but the indent makes up for it.

or score them with a razor. i find that this works better/faster

what's the best pick for acoustic guitar? aside from fingerstyle

Sometimes power chords are really just acting as beefed up single notes instead of traditional chords, and it makes more sense to think of the chords playing a melody rather than a progression. Extending the chords is either burying or altogether replacing the "melody" that you're playing with the root notes.

That said, I played around with the progression using extended chords and didn't think it "sounded like shit." Mess around with the voicings, and unlike power chords, avoid excessive parallel movement.

I'll stick to making standard 0.73 tortex type picks into semi sharp triangles.
I do have a soft spot for thick celluloid picks though.

Post a pic of how you grip your pick guys, particularly curious about your index

Wegen Bluegrass.

this is the best sounding pick set-up for steel string.
not the most comfortable, though.

will my local guitar shop carry those?

electric

acoustic

no pick handy :\

Intervals and pitches aren't the same thing. I meant I know the distance between the notes in the riff but I just can't dial in the key. I'll go up and down the frets and I can get close but it always sounds slightly sharp or flat to me

Noob here, I hold it the same way as you. How do your 3/4/5 fingers not get in the way when palm muting?

Maybe the song was recorded in a quarter-step tuning like "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Metallica, or "Stone In Love" by Journey.

Probably not. Worth a try though.

Other picks I like for acoustic are Dunlop Primetone picks. Most chain stores will carry those.

Thanks. I'll mess around with this some more, trying out different inversions.

Literally who cares? it's a tiny piece of plastic.

does anyone know why we strum with our dominant hand and fret with the other

wouldnt the dominant hand be better at fretting?

just a question I mean, I know I can't fret shit with my right hand but yea

I've been a fool and always put those fingerpicks on backwards.

tiny jazz3 picks are great for lead,but feels unstable for rhythm.I am trying to use Ultrex XL for rhythm,they are very similar to green tortrex I think.I think the most important principle I learned is you may want small picks for lead or not,but normal size picks are always easier to hold for rhythm.

I think that's because your picking hand need to be endurable and stable,which require more strength.Your dominant hand and arm is just stronger.Your fretting hand is not the point,you re more like do fretting with your fingers.The difference between fingers on left and right hands are not that big.

i want big picks

you want big dicks

Found an old used "Hopf" classical (german made), it could be one of the models that cost 200 bucks back in the 70s or it could be one that cost 1600. It can't be one of the really cheap models, that I could confirm, but besides that it's hard to tell. He wants 40 bucks for it. I'll check it out and see if it plays okay. Anything I should pay special attention to on a classical guitar?

not him but its actually very useful education-wise if you dont want to be a pleb ttier musician for the rest of your life

learning proper classical theory and how to read sheet music and more importantly WRITE sheet music correctly, made me a better player.and i appreciate music much more now, I can also quickly tell apart pure shit from art and dismiss other "self taught" musicians

quick question
what strings is this guy using to get such a high tuning? the video description says he's tuning BEAD, but what sort of strings allow for that much tension?
youtube.com/watch?v=9f9HHtvN-EE

useful if you want to turn into a prick, I see

Where do you work user?

A normal B string (.120-.135) as you would find on a 5 string bass and then normal E, A and D strings. All standard gauges that you can find everywhere. Or is he tuned an octave up? In that case they are called piccolo strings.

Somebody's overcompensating.

I suspect they're piccolo strings

There is a Daddario piccolo set for eadg tuning. But you can just buy single strings at the appropriate gauges for bead in piccolo tuning. stringtensionpro.com is really helpful for that.

??? youre the one insulting me though

I do not work. I play music freelance.

Any mods I can do to a Big Muff Pi? Anything to increase the mids/clarity?

holy shit. i know that dude. took some lessons from him when he was still at berklee.

thinking of picking up a bass to play for kicks
any tips to play bass more like a bassist and less like a guitar player?

Use your fingers, learn to hold back, don't think in melodies, lock in with the drummer, etc.

brb going to the moon

This is how I hold my pick

What guitar picks do you use /gg/?

Alternatively, show me the most meme guitar pick you have ever seen.

There's no way in hell that's a regular B string; and the D string is not even wound.

I saw one guy picking with his dick.

This guy really knows how to meme

I started using these and I like them a lot. Used to use those max-grip Dunlop ones.

I like Dunlop Ultex Sharps. No thicker than 1mm.
When I play acoustic, I almost always play alternating bass with my thumb/travis picking and I never use picks.
The thick stone/wood/metal picks are horribly cringey.

I can't watch the video, I only saw the thumbnail in 144p quality. Which is also why I mentioned piccolo strings if they're tuned an octave up, which seems to be the case.

It's awesome if you want to play fast lead on thick strings.

What would be /gg/'s theme song?

Wegen Gypsy Jazz 3.5mm. I mostly play archtops so they're perfect for projecting volume.

This retarded shit is the most meme pick I've seen.

What wah should I get?Crybaby 535Q/Xotic/Fulltone Clyde or original Crybaby?
For blues and funk.Looking for one which is easy to control and fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=qIgiYvis3OY

how would one go about getting a guitar like this just the custom pickguard the rest i could care less about

self taught im not as technically proficient as other musicians but i have a style that sounds like no one elses music theory is kind of a trade off between a unique sound or technical proficiency

Got a free epiphone SG. It wouldn't play through an amp so I opened it. How should I reattach this wire?

its a sticker

go to your local guitar center and trade it for a different 60 dollar guitar

>that guy in the comments insulting Charvel

this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=drjVp293mdU

Yeah

Can't really see much in that picture but you need a soldering iron. Get one of the cheap adjustable temperature ones on amazon, pencil style.

I want to record me playing the bass. Is it better to get a direct recording or to plug my bass directly into my audio interface?

What is 'classicals guitars'?

Ohh, you mean a grandpas guitars?

I like going direct or preamp then interface. I don't think it's worth it to record with a mic, in fact you generally lose some quality unless you have high end gear.

He's good, but the pretentiousness just kills me.

Look at his facial hair; perfectly groomed despite his 'I'm a gypsy, lawl' gimmick. The incense behind the nut. The reverb. The facial expressions.

Take all these things away, and I'd be able to enjoy his playing much more.

Actually never mind, I've just realised I can listen to his playing without watching the video. Hell yeah.

DI is the way to go. If you've got one of those, you're golden.

Sexy as fuck.
Would play gig with/10

starting to think guitar might be too hard for me

my fingers keep getting in the way of other strings and everything is going wrong. i've been trying to learn something for ages but it not work

Alright but remember even guys with missing fingers became prolific guitarists so if you give up it has nothing to do with your potential but rather with your ability to fulfill it.

how can their fingers accidentally touch the strings if they dont have any retard

La Bella 2001 Medium Hard tension!!

It is attractive to look at. The sound is uninspiring. Thinking Seymour Duncan's with gold casings. Wish I'd bought the bloody walkman

It'll go well with some Rothmans I think

Accidently touch the strings? I'm not even sure what you mean. Sounds like you're just clumsy, which is normal starting out.

>all these fags that use "chords" and "scales"

The way you play music doesn't matter, the sound you get out is what matters. I get shit on for never tuning my guitar (I believe it sounds more natural and in tune to the earth) and not playing "real chords", but I think it's all bullshit. There's no wrong way to play music.

yeah man

>this is what passes off as advice in the guitar threads

>Jackson confirmed for pure unadulterated shit.
That fan is 100% garbage. The parallel fret should be much (MUCH) lower on the fretboard, somewhere around the 5th/7th fret. They just copied the fucked fan on the Ibanez RGIF8 because ignorant poorfag plebes have been buying the hell out of that model even though it's fan is 100% shit.

Fuck you, i'm trying to teach you hipster faggots about my technique (which i've perfected after many years of practice) I was going to be gracious enough to post a recording of my playing, but you have proven to not be deserving of such knowledge. Enjoy playing your shitty, boring, uninspired music while i'll be celebrated.

>don't insult Charvel!
>they're part of the Fender cartel now!
lol

Lol you're right!

t. guy who has no gigs

I could get gigs if I really wanted to but hipsters don't like anything creative being played because god forbid anybody who didnt conform to the mainstream got popular.

>not liking the seafoam

Also fuck you if you think i care about mainstream bullshit venues letting me play i'm not a conformist sheep like all of you LOL.

>Gotta play my scales like a good little sheep
>I'm garbage if I don't use made up bullshit like "chords"
>no creativitey allowed

:) have fun sheep.

got a really juicy riff i think you're gonna dig, shoot me your cell # if you wanna hear it so i can send you the link

Just put it on vocaroo.
vocaroo.com

seafoam + maple fretboard is fucking disgusting

from a different angle

mah nigga
youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz7cUw4Ls

I don't really like maple fretboards, so that wasn't a factor I considered

redpill me on killswitches

I thought that was DNA for a second

lol

Should I use clean my fretboard with lemon oil every time i change strings?

I wonder how best to find a paying audience for this sort of thing

Only when it's dirty, user.

Who the fuck actually sat through this shit?

>redpill me on killswitches
Done.

lol

This is pretty awesome. It proves how music regulation kills creativitey. The music industry has become shit since we stopped liking creative musicians and only liked those that played their instrument according to some bullshit rules that dont even exist and dont even make music sound good.

Squier Strat Classic Vibe vs G&L Tribute S500 ?

Looks like overpriced garbage to me. Get a warmoth U neck and skip the rest if you really want the feel of one. Fender is second to Gibson in terms of jewry.

am loving the shitposts here honestly funny

reminder that chords and scales are scientifically derived from the division of waves into near perfect numerical ratios (harmony).

and chordal root motion (progression) is derived from the strength of the unique intervals in the harmonic series in order of strength (and their inversions); they are the octave(unison), the fifth(fourth), the third(third), and the second(seventh).

>reminder that chords and scales are scientifically derived from the division of waves into near perfect numerical ratios (harmony).

No this is bullshit fuck that chords and scales are fucking bullshit and science is a concept created by humans

Any chill essential distortion bass pedal?
I want some wacky Lightning Bolt shit

>chords and scales are fucking bullshit and science is a concept created by humans
this
youtube.com/watch?v=aEq57S094ro

If you wanna sound like LB then get the Boss octave pedal

>what is creative limitation

Why are No Wave musicians so edgy.

Branca and Lydia Lunch are so cringy.

>MUH WESTERN 12-TONE SKUHES
lol

new
new

Also he does an ODB-1 into an SD-1 iirc

New thread