Music, psychology, & You

Music has been shown to have amazing positive effects on people, even more-so in their youth. Yet is has also shown to have some negative influence for those young enough to be susceptible. What kind of influence has music honestly had on your mental state as you've grown up? (as a personal question, why do some people completely ignore lyrics in a song? I feel if you really only care about beat you wouldn't look to a melody with a message.)

>as a personal question, why do some people completely ignore lyrics in a song?

1. I don't understand the lyrics
2. I prefer the music over stories
3. If I want a story, I'd much rather read a book
4. Vocals are my least favorite 'instrument'

Then cant there be alternatives? Finding an edited version of the song without lyrics?

I'm fine with them being in a song, I just don't pay any attention to them

This tape improved my mental state

But its like if a song talks about slaughtering the innocent you wouldn't play that at your family dinner (I assume). Regardless, logically speaking if the lyrics are your least favorite part of a song or something your just going to ignore then why have them?

>But its like if a song talks about slaughtering the innocent you wouldn't play that at your family dinner (I assume).

I do play some Death Metal while my mom and dad are around sometimes, and they don't really care for lyrics either

>Regardless, logically speaking if the lyrics are your least favorite part of a song or something your just going to ignore then why have them?

Because I like the music? If I only listened to instrumental music I'd miss out on some really good music that's not instrumental

So your saying your picking and choosing "some" of the lyrics to listen to and not to others? So if a feminist listens to an (unspecific) rap song she will just ignore the women slander and just enjoy the snippets here and there?

>why do some people completely ignore lyrics in a song?
I don't ignore them but majority of the times if the production/instrumentals is awful I'd just discard the song

Some of my fav stuff is singer-songwriter but it all boils down if the instrumentals flow with his/her voice

>What kind of influence has music honestly had on your mental state as you've grown up?
Has made me more open minded in life I guess. no longer see things in black and white its way more complicated than that.

I'm not picking anything, I'm playing the whole song

But what makes you "like" the music. Going into a song/album there is an interest in either beat or message. Unless its a purely instrumental people need to find correlation with the message or attitude. Ive found that music I loved as a child I now dislike as an adult that can analyze the medium. If a song has a great beat but it glorifies adultery I will generally disregard the song as a whole.

I just listen to melody, like guitar riffs, rhythm, like the drums, and the 'texture' of the vocals (i.e. screaming, clean singing, growling, etc)

That's probably why I enjoy some Nu Metal, too

I took the "picking"part from where you said "some" implying you've tried other music and the beat and/or message didn't land with you at least that's how I interpreted it.

With some, I mean I play some Death Metal songs, like 1-3 at a time

I do get the "texture" thing. But generally if someone ignores the lyrics then doesn't that undermine the purpose of some artists? The encourage or project thought, feelings, or ideas toward a purpose? To end world hunger, to stay in school, to think outside the lines, etc...

How do you handle that? I feel like listening to 3 death metal songs at once would be just a mass of sound and raw tangled instrumentals.

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't really listen to artists like Bob Dylan, it's simply not for me

Hehe, I mean playing them separately after each other, but at a given moment. English isn't my native language :/

This topic is a kind of passion of mine considering my moral stances and the psychological effects it may/may not have on people. I'm trying to not step into the rap debate considering its been under speculation by far smarter people than I and it still doesn't have closure.

>>>>>>pls go tumblr's that way

liking black metal made me an insufferable elitist and I've been trying to recover from that for the better part of three years.

i wonder to this day why people can't accept "different people like different things"

it's interesting, absolutely, but arguing something completely subjective like art and music doesn't really lead any opinion towards logical conclusions except if one person is giving in for the sake of not arguing anymore

I'm trying to find understanding. I'd like to think that's reasonable. You can listen to your music in whatever way you see fit. This thread was started because my roommate told me "This song is a song, there is no message or meaning" to a song that sang about how great it was to get attention and be more famous than everyone else.

you've been cheated on before? it's okay me too but r9k is really the place for you

if you would choose not even experiencing music after one tail tale sign like that so you can't possibly have a bad reaction you don't belong on any music forum

you're god damn right I'm bootybothered

Actually I do still give music a shot but I definitely prefer to listen to music that reflects the sense of being I want to have. Ill listen to rock, rap, metal, pop, you name it. I just wont listen to music that doesn't have a correlating moral message.

okay you have different listening habits than me

is that ok
i guess it is

what do you do if a friend puts on some trap song about some guy fuckin his side bitch on his wife and drunk driving while he's getting sloppy top from a homeless man he picked up down the road from his house before he kills him and steals his skin, like most degenerate shit these days

where do you go then, I'm assuming you have friends I suppose but I'm intrigued because I could never even HOPE to impose my own moral conditions upon anything even slightly outside my control of my own choices in life etc

i think discovering emo music as a teenager exacerbated my depression, and then discovering nine inch nails drove me even deeper.

had basically the opposite effect on me since I didn't actively go after deeper and darker shit but I tried to see the light of music in as many different genres.... I was a thoroughbred mu meme then, had the entire charts downloaded and was going through them, luckily it's been 4 years since and I don't trust y'alls advice any more

Is English your first language? I don't really listen to lyrics, and have trouble even picking them out, as I'm usually listening to the beat/melody rather than the words. I feel much the same way about lyrics as I do sheet music. Artists who have some kind of deep message don't tend to appeal to me anyway, musically.