Is Lady Gaga over?

>a horrible song
>a horrible video
>#15 Billboard Hot 100 debut
>the song is freefalling on Itunes
>the video got only 5m views in the first day (it's a bit more than Alejandro got in 2009)
>her album won't have any dance-songs and promotion
>invites tons of artists in order to win Grammies

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7g4XAyESHos
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8SrlbpJ5A
nypost.com/2013/12/14/what-happened-to-lady-gaga/
youtube.com/watch?v=nP3ctBs3510
youtube.com/watch?v=2bZIremnuh0
youtube.com/watch?v=pXUdPqplx0U
gamespot.com/articles/suicide-squad-soundtrack-sells-500000-copies-in-si/1100-6443864/
dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
youtube.com/watch?v=hfOQF1kyzOw
rollingstone.com/music/features/lady-gaga-producer-bloodpop-details-perfect-illusion-creation-w438828
youtube.com/watch?v=mAJyRXHwpMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>lady gaga is the _____ of our generation

who Cred Forums?

Cher

Ambien

This was a good album, part from it should have ended on dope. then she had her jazz turn with that old bloke Alan is it? She's still boxing round the edges I'd say. Haven't heard the new one. I think she's got a bit of a fight on, the female pop market is getting awfully crowded.

Coil

Britney Spears. Comparisons to Madonna, peaked early in her career, makes shitty music for the rest of her life...

>Britney Spears
not really. Britney is more a Tay Tay. Gaga is like...

Yes, both of them could't escape their initial image. Spears is always a schoolgirl and a teenager while Gaga is a freak in outrageous outfits.

devoice the consonants in gaga
that's what she is

>make a sex tape, or catch chlamydia from a bicycle seat

mmm I think Britney is now a sort of Auntie figure. I love the Circus styling, I much prefer it to the high school knee socks look. I agree with you on Gaga, she keeps moving ...

>the video got only 5m views in the first day (it's a bit more than Alejandro got in 2009)
the fuck is this who even keeps track or cares about "stats" like that. this is why pop girls get such a bad rep, shouldn't you be keeping track of your T cell count instead

She's certainly doing better than Katie Perry right now

Katty is quite formidable. I was stunned by her popularity.

you can kind of sing "i'm keeping my baby" over "it was a perfect illusion", the hook is pretty similar

but papa don't preach >>>>>>>>>>>> perfect illusion

to be a female pop """""artist"""" you have to take huge steps to manufacture an image. lady gaga's problem was being "imagefluid", she should have picked a lane and done that, instead of branching off into a million other identities

>he didn't like Alejandro

youtube.com/watch?v=7g4XAyESHos

Why is she always copying Madonna?

listen 2 this
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8SrlbpJ5A

Only gay people listen to her any more, still a big market but she'll never be as big as she used to be.

At least Beck will be on the new album...

too good for a woman

i think the only way it can be explain is because she is a shemale

And I can't wait for that duet with Florence!

grimes

The video is okay, the song is also okay except for the chorus which is bad

The Cyborg Queen outfit from the beginning of that video is one of her best looks

Also that fucking hook gets stuck in my head all the time

she's got her following of diehards ("little monsters") and i think that's good enough for her

Meh, in couple years a new gay queen will emerge and take them away from her, she will have nothing then.

I gotta say after all the hype of people posting this, I was rather disappointed. Very simple song, and very fucking simple and overdone subject matter.

But lol at the thought of Lady Gaga just bursting into this song the moment she was dumped.

shes probably relying on critical acclaim

I'm pretty sure her career ended when she did that song about Rape.

>#15 Billboard Hot 100 debut
how is this bad

Because the big songs usually get to be number 2 or number 1. I say that the song could go up since it only just came out. However is 12 is still pretty solid.

People coming up with elaborate reasons why she's doing underwhelmingly are overthinking it.
It's a half-assed single. If she'd put effort into coming up with a memorable and powerful pop number, she would be doing better. It's a ghost of a song that feels like it's over before it started.

She'll never be as culturally relevant and exciting as she was in 2009. Its quite funny how her schtick got stale so fast.

This wasn't received well by critics, though.

She had one job! To wear ridiculous clothing her whole life! Thats all people remembered her for. And she messed that up! Now Sia is fuckin taking that schtick over

>dresses in outrageous outfits, makes 10 minute long music videos, performs crazy shit every other day
WHY CANT SHE FOCUS ON THE MUSIC OVEREXPOSED NO TALENT POP HACK
>does zero promo, releases short form music video, works with musicians she admires to make her first solo non pop album
SHES OVER AND FLOPPING WHY COULDNT SHE JUST MAKE A POP SONG AND DRESS UP

She literally can't win and gets criticized either way and she knows it. Good for her for always doing something different and it sounds like this project will be drastically different. If she wins the critics back this album can undersell to oblivion and it won't matter.

It got good reviews from several big name magazines and papers

That's a lot of words to avoid mentioning that the song sucks.

lol whore thinks she can be indie, is she the stupidest hack ever? I hope her fans destroy her for not giving them TFM 2.0

Why doesn't she do shit like TFM 2.0 all the way to 10.0? She would sell a gajillion records just using the same name each time.

no, the problem is that whatever her 'image' is now is boring, and her music is boring.

I don't read autism, but it sounds like you're talking shit bout TFM (aka her best release)

kys

>no, the problem is that whatever her 'image' is now is boring
You new? Is easy to see she started drifting off and image changed after Born this Way. She did Artpop then some fuckin jazz album? FM-BTW is more particular compared to after.
Yeah, her music went to shit though.

the new single is literally a few tweaks away from being good...disappointing...

idk on the music side, but her style team left her which is why she's so boring, she only knows how to act not how to create images that aren't dull
"She credited the Haus of Gaga — her version, she said, of Warhol’s Factory — with engineering her rise. There was Troy Carter, the brilliant and loyal manager who signed her in 2007; Laurieann Gibson, her choreographer and creative director; and Nicola Formichetti, the visionary stylist who refined her catchall approach to eccentric dressing, turning her into a high-fashion obsession as well as a regular in tabloids, newspapers and gossip blogs. Within months, Gaga was the rare global superstar to toggle high and low.

“I don’t want to take any credit for Nicola’s work,” she told CNN in 2010. “He’s really, really an amazing designer; he’s an amazing creative.”

Formichetti quit this past summer. “I’ve done two albums with her, it’s been like five years, and you know ... I cannot do it every day,” he told WWD. “She changes like five times a day; it’s insane.”
Formichetti’s absence is keenly felt; since he quit, Gaga’s looks have become crude, obvious, off-putting. Most recently, she wore a grotesque, disfiguring grill to the YouTube awards, turned her face into a Picasso-inspired funhouse reflection and wrapped herself up like a burn victim."

I know it's the post but this is the best article on her downfall (self-caused) nypost.com/2013/12/14/what-happened-to-lady-gaga/

Cher can act.

This actually explains a lot.

She never put in the work, she's never learned the history of who she copies or why they're great, just notes what's popular about them and tweaks it. She doesn't have the range of the depth to be a "true artist" whatever that could mean for her.
(side note: Madonna also ripped people off, but she was/is better)

*how to dress up in those images I should have said, girl can't act

How long until Wayne Coyne picks her up with promises of authenticity, in exchange for her fame?

get an editor my dude

Personally I think she's just gotten bored with the whole vapid, gimmicky, manufactured popstar act and has decided to pursue a career as an actual musician making music that she feels good about making (regardless of whether anyone else likes it - for better or worse.) It's not like she needs to worry about money or anything like that at this point, and she actually does have a decent voice/musicianship skills lying dormant from her pre-Gaga days.

Which is to say that for most intents and purposes Lady Gaga is indeed over - the gimmick has officially run its course. From here on out this is Stefani Germanotta doing her thing (if still under the same assumed name - everyone knows that the whole mid-career name-change thing simply isn't worth the trouble.)

good post, thank you.

its too bad-- she was really fun for awhile.

i liked it too, a very fun album
youtube.com/watch?v=nP3ctBs3510

seei mean, she might be tired of it. but her collaborators are done.

Nah, lol.

People were already over her by her last album. Whatever she's doing right now is gonna be a tire fire.

Thank god.

Lady Gaga hasn't been relevant in years.

>“I have a lot of experience in this area,” says one longtime label executive and producer. “Artists have a lot of help on their first albums, and they’re open to a lot of help, and they are very smart collaborators and make great work.”
>Once that work results in great success, he says, the artist invariably believes they are solely responsible. “Time and again, they feel like they could have done it themselves, and if they had done it their way, it would have been even bigger,” he says. “So they jettison the people who helped them get where they are and hire people who are less powerful, who let them do what they want. I think that may be where Lady Gaga is.”
>Nor did her alleged hip injury, which put her out of commission for months, capture public sympathy or imagination. She didn’t even use it to go away — instead, she commissioned a gold wheelchair, and she began to feel like the guest who just wouldn’t leave.
This article is gold, oh my god

Don't think she's gotten bored with the popstar act that she is. That's her life, her job.

See here It's really obvious what happened : Artpop failed, and her team is trying to get a new look for her. Sadly she went in the wrong direction : Sappy 80's upbeat rock is not really the style people are listening right now, she should have gone to trap music with singing. like Early MIA or something.

She's going the Beyoncé/Frank Oceam route i.e. Making an "experimental" mainstream pop album that is oh so personal and artsy. I hope this trend dies soon because Lemonade was shit and Blonde was half shit.

Aura, Venus, G.U.Y., Sexx Dreams, Do What U Want, Donatella, Fashion!(Fuckin best), Mary Jane Holland and Applause were really amazing pop songs for me.

Clearly one of my favorite from her. With the Fame Monster. so bad it saled poorly.

>Sappy 80's upbeat rock is not really the style people are listening right now, she should have gone to trap music with singing. like Early MIA or something.

seriously, its not hard to get a pulse on whats hip right now. i don't understand how she fucked it up.

yeah. those pics of her really look like shit in the context of the article.

hah those are my favorites also, it took me a while to like Mary Jane tho hated it at first.

Yeah - that too. One thing about Stefani that not very many people seem to be aware of is that her success as Lady Gaga really had more to do with the fact that she has an excellent eye for identifying people who are better at things than she is and then convincing them to join with her merry band of artistic collaborators with her as leader/figurehead/butt monkey (this isn't a criticism - this is exactly how Robin Hood, in the original pre-film/television version of the Adventures of Robin Hood operated - finding people with better technical skills but lacking independent artistic drive/leadership and leading them to victory.)

It's a great formula for success, but there comes a time in everyone's life when success with the constant help of others simply isn't enough - especially when those others get so burned out with the constant activity that they can't do it any more (imo the primary reason behind Lady Gaga's relative hiatus from the pop music zeitgeist circa Artpop) and the priority becomes getting more involved with the actual processes behind the creation of your art. Because, for a true artist, there is nothing comparable to the feeling of actually having been involved in authoring your own work for once - no matter if it isn't objectively as good as what might have come before it.

I'm not even going to casually check it out.

needy faggot

Fuck off shill, people liked the long drawn out wacky stuff cause it was good music, it was unique and had emotion.

This new song as an earlier user described is a shell, no soul.

Well, she is going to perform at the Super Bowl Next year, it could be her last chance to be relevant again. I watched her concerts and i like the emotion she puts in her shows, the choreos, vocals, instruments. I liked the new song and i like the route she's taking.

That was just a rumor, it was later confirmed not true.

I would be more sympathetic towards the mediocrity of her new song if she was in a rush, but she had three years, THREE YEARS! and this is really the best she can come up with?

Nah dude. At least they are trying you know?

Meh, I'll stick around till the bitter end. For better or worse.

The key change everyone is creaming themselves over is fuckin trash.

She's the freakin edge queen. I stopped paying attention to her when better exposed artists like her appeared (Sia). And especially after "Till it Happens to You" What a joke

>Blonde was half shit
Explain :)

damn, screenshotting this

She needs to head back to the studio with her old producer RedOne, because her early hits were co-written and produced by him.

she'd have to put out her version of 'ray of light' to save her career

Even if she isn't popular now she'll be on top again. Her rise to fame marked a prominent change in pop music. She's making strides as an actress now too. Even if other female pop singers are more popular than her right now, she'll be the one who is considered a legend a few decades from now

She copied every icon possible in her early years and now there's noone left to copy and she doesn't know what to do.

Perfect Illusion isn't as bad as Artpop. Artpop had great potential (electronic experimental stuff), but it was too poppy.
PI isn't good, but the direction is definitely a nice one, rocky

You tried to troll but get your facts straight. Grimes started her career AFTER Lady Gaga.

Grimes would get destroyed by gaga live. She's not even close to the same level. Also.. that suicide squad track is even worst the this new gaga single

Applause was a better lead single than PI though.

Grimes buying a tub of mayo for her face. GREASE

>considered a legend a few decades from now

She'll probably be a laughing stock too like Britney and Mariah, lol.

>a nice one, rocky

Rockists pls leave.

As a gay man, I feel really compelled to support Gaga. But her new songs are fucking terrible so far. It's just night club music. Even art pop had a few good songs. This is just bad

she seems to be over every time she's about to release a new album t.b.h.
but since her creative team left her there's no way for her other than 'creating real music' with some FJMs and other Welches

She's been surviving like Cher and Kylie Minogue did through pandering to the gays. She's also been trying to make publicity off of niche fanbases by bringing in the likes of Crayon Pop and BABYMETAL, who likely are both bigger draws than she is at this stage.
She's been long dead and she was always the drizzling shits, but she'll continue to exist on the peripheries of major label pop music like Cher did, until the gays find someone newer, younger and even Jeff Koonsier.

youtube.com/watch?v=2bZIremnuh0

youtube.com/watch?v=pXUdPqplx0U

Sans huge gimmicks, they really aren't that far apart live - especially in terms of energy.

Oh boo hoo only 5 mil views? No idiot lady gaga is not over if she can still get 5 mil views in a day.

who or what was her creative team? what changed?

>implying 5 million is a lot

I al;ways thought she was shit, it just sounded like 90's dance music in silly clothes.

>Also.. that suicide squad track is even worst the this new gaga single
Speaking of which:
gamespot.com/articles/suicide-squad-soundtrack-sells-500000-copies-in-si/1100-6443864/

>Grimes would get destroyed by gaga live.
Delusional idiot. Grimes' shows have a tremendous amount of energy. Proof: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

How could Gaga continue after Grimes' last song, Kill V. Maim???

Gaga can hire all the indie pop artists she wants to make her music but she'll never be as good as Grimes.

why is this movie so hyped? it doesn't look any better than any other superhero movie

Yeah, that's right. Grimes is a huge one in a generation talent, Gaga is an ordinary pop star with whole teams working for her. Grimes doesn't need anyone to make her music because she's fucking talented.

Let's see how Gaga could follow up this Grimes performance of Scream: youtube.com/watch?v=hfOQF1kyzOw

Gaga beaten at her own eccentricity game!

Grimes makes vapid, generic synthpop. It requires absolutely no talent to do that.
Grimes' entire thing is that she makes generic pop music but isn't attractive at all so losers get attached to her because someone who looks like that MUST be oh so talented, because only the pretty ones are talentless hacks. That's the angle and it worked so effectively that there are copycats now.

Lady Gaga is shit too, but there's actually a little more content to what she does - which isn't exactly hard to achieve.

It's the ultimate example of a marketing machine so good that it both ruined its own movie and made it a massive success.

People liked the trailers so much that the studio literally recut/reshot massive amounts of the movie in order to make it more like the trailers, also hiring people from the trailer company to help them with the recut. The result was a mess of a film that no-one really likes, but is riding on the wings of its own marketing gusto anyway.

grimes is the voice of our generation
lazy pieces of shit getting rewarded for being average

>Her rise to fame marked a prominent change in pop music

How??

she changed pop music forever
if you can't see that please leave this thread

but grimes is mad ugly

all of us are mad ugly

(You)

>average
Average compared to whom? Who is like her?

everyone is like her. shes is the voice of our generation
takes influences from everything and doesn't surpass but makes her own average twist to it. which still remains unique but nothing truly groundbreaking

>Grimes makes vapid, generic synthpop. It requires absolutely no talent to do that.
Get the hell out of here. How many artists do you know that make music LIKE HER? Or you're one of these fedora dudes that talks shit about synthpop?

>Grimes' entire thing is that she makes generic pop music but isn't attractive at all so losers get attached to her because someone who looks like that MUST be oh so talented, because only the pretty ones are talentless hacks. That's the angle and it worked so effectively that there are copycats now.
That's bullshit. If she would look like a classic beauty (she's beautiful in her own way, though) you would say she's only liked because she's beautiful.

You know something? People like musicians mainly for their music. The image is secondary. You're not listening to her image but to her music. She's attractive because of her music! That's her work.

Please stop your retarded theories.

>nothing truly groundbreaking
Her music is groudbreaking. Name a similar album to Geidi Primes, Halfaxa, Visions, Art Angels. Go ahead, I'm willing to hear them.

man you're not reading what I said
all of those albums remain unique to her. but the influences from electropop,industrial,classical and such in their but she never excels in any of it
its just average albums. like the rest of us

they're classics but not in the same realm of VU&NiCO
classics in a way of representing the current time of below average performances

>all of those albums remain unique to her. but the influences from electropop,industrial,classical and such in their but she never excels in any of it
its just average albums. like the rest of us
Her albums are bigger than the sum of all those influences. It's not a big deal if they sound average to you, music taste is subjective after all. But many, many people said her albums are great, unique and influential. You're going against the stream with your opinion.

>they're classics but not in the same realm of VU&NiCO
Huh? Do you know that album earned acclaim some years after it was released? Her albums are too fresh to be properly judged, but give them time and we'll see if they will be classics or not.

>classics in a way of representing the current time of below average performances
Are you a lewrongeneration fan? Great music is made all the time.

Lol it's the "vapid, generic synthpop" user again.

Sia is almost at 70 million views, Kanye 22 million, 21 Pilots at 244 million. Five million views is a joke.

I mean, that's a long fucking time ago if you think about it. How many artists who were hot in 1979 were still hot in 1986?

Yeah IDK who told Gaga that ersatz 80s dance rock was "in" now.

Van Halen and Judas Priest?

Queen?

86 was the year Van Halen turned into a peddler of soundtracks for Nissan commercials.

Well, they weren't relevant in America anymore after 1980. Late period Queen was almost exclusively a European phenomenon.

Go down the list for '79. Devo, Blondie, Bee Gees, Eagles, Donna Summer, Supertramp. All of them were 404 not found by '86.

Or how most of the heavyweights in 1989 were irrelevant in 1996.

I don't think they were ever really relevant in the States before Mercury died. They were always big everywhere else.

I'd also throw in Michael Jackson as still relevant too. In fact, he was even bigger by 86.

Taylor Swift has shown no sign of abating despite being out since 2008.

>I don't think they were ever really relevant in the States before Mercury died

A Night At The Opera through The Game all charted in the top 10 in the US. The later albums averaged in the 20s-30s here.

I'm an idiot and don't get it. "aa"?

>People liked the trailers so much that the studio literally recut/reshot massive amounts of the movie in order to make it more like the trailers, also hiring people from the trailer company to help them with the recut.

source on this? (note: I actually saw the movie in theaters, it was terrible)

I'd be curious to know what they cut/what it was originally like.

reminder that Fantano gave this album the same score as MBDTF

Hot 1989 artists would include Motley Crue, Metallica, GNR, Madonna, George Michael, INXS, Bon Jovi. Not any of them were on the radar in 96 except Metallica who were shitting out bad radio rock.

That's cause MTV pushing the shit out of grunge in the early 90s basically killed every late 80s band bar a handful. Punk, new wave and glam didn't really kill hard rock/prog/pop. And disco offed itself

They would have died a natural death anyway because Poison and Motley Crue didn't fit 90s tastes at all. New decade, new style.

When was Bon Jovi's It's My Life? Late 90s? Cause that was fucking HUGE

Lady Gaga isn't trying to be "in" anymore. Quite the opposite, actually:
>"Perfect Illusion," you can't look at any song in the last five or 10 years and be like, "This sounds like that."
rollingstone.com/music/features/lady-gaga-producer-bloodpop-details-perfect-illusion-creation-w438828

Whether that's an advisable move on her part or not remains to be seen. But imo it's at least gonna be interesting seeing what comes of it all in the long run.

Ain't Kanye been around since like 2007?

ill just say that the 'art' that lady gaga was making wasn't really the music (though that was part of it), but it was the whole performance of being lady gaga.

with the bombing of artpop, it seems like gaga wants to strip it down, and go 'back to basics'. but the problem is that she just doesn't have a great ear for melody, and the most interesting thing about her was the image.

its not going to be interesting-- its dead on arrival.

bitch can't write a melody.

the background vocal part
>Where are you, cause I can’t see, but I feel you watchin' me
is a rip off of everything's embarrassing
youtube.com/watch?v=mAJyRXHwpMM

Neither can Katy Perry for that matter.

The interesting thing is that user could never prove his claims.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but imo it's gonna be interesting from a cultural standpoint if nothing else Like it or not, Lady Gaga has been a cultural mainstay for most of the decade, and someone with that sort of status going left field is bound to have a ripple effect on everything else. Seeing how that plays out is imo where the real intrigue lies in this instance.

>ill just say that the 'art' that lady gaga was making wasn't really the music
That too. Imo it's worth noting that Lady Gaga really started out as a burlesque act
on the Lower East Side that happened to include musical elements. Whereas Grimes - for example - originated as a diy music production project.

Lady Gaga as musical act first is pretty much uncharted territory.

5m in one day is not a joke

Kanye's actually kind of an anomaly when it comes to his relevance, at this point in his career most people would be having "comebacks" (this is around the same period of Dylan's career when he released BotT, just for an easy example) but he's stayed with it.

>But Tucker tells Rolling Stone how her new song is a return to the sound that made her famous.
>You can't look at any song in the last five or 10 years and be like, "This sounds like that." It's its own thing.

Perfect Illusion sounds like a demo take of Pink song
It has the same tired chord progression and song structure of most radio pop without any interesting melody of hooks, it meanders into a build up into a key change which doesn't actually change anything
Even if that guy in the rolling stone (>rolling stone by the way) had any consistency in his message the reality is that the product he's bigging up is not at all interesting, the fact all that talent is involved is just sorta sad

Michael Jackson friend-o

Famous peak #34 at billboard hot 100 and he's not the top 20 best-selling artists this decade.

Katy Perry is the most followed person on Twitter, she'll be fine.

I don't think she's good enough for that.

RedOne was the producer responsible for her greatest hits on her debut album, once she stopped working with him, her career went down the drain.

Plus, she got outclassed by Nicky Minaj as the "weird queen".

tl;dr: she has a pretty good voice, she should work with better producers and try to have a career similar to Britney Spears.

i mean, she was big for like 3 years. the post edm/glitch/wonk sound is so clearly the trend (frank, anhoni, twigs, ye, bon iver, bjork, charlie xcx, that new dirty projector track), and shes just making standard, midtempo lady power ballads.

its not hard. fucking get with arca or pc music or whoever and fucking make some actually pseduo 'weird' or 'experimental' music. she played this po mo character, but she didn't actually make music that was as cool as her image.

now her image is just as boring as the music.

yeah, its seriously just a song that the record labels made for pink, but w/ lady signed on instead.

I thought lady gaga was similar to eminem in 2010.

kaka

Sales != the only thing that makes people relevant.

It has the same "vibe" but it's not a rip off.

I feel like I've heard the same exact melody in the chorus before, or the same exact lyrics but with a different melody.

This.

Could it be ?

Actually, that's it. Thanks.

Dramas and Kim K make him relevant. His success in sales and charts is not outstanding these years.

>grimes is the voice of our generation
Millennials or Generation Z?

Ignore that idiot. He's just shitposting.