/prod/: Music production general - Post your WIPs Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7zIf_kJq22c
clyp.it/eygvailz
clyp.it/xzlm33nn
a.clyp.it/yzcpeala.mp3
clyp.it/t1fxsoky
clyp.it/pnjtr4jw
clyp.it/kd4vqnl3
soundcloud.com/exe-5/tremor
youtu.be/yheX4yrOOQI
youtube.com/watch?v=sQ86-ON5LBg
clyp.it/puwg0qsh
clyp.it/dj0kqm1q
clyp.it/msnr2t2a
clyp.it/wagtns5a
youtube.com/watch?v=74JgN1nVMuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=KEGgwI_EnZE
soundcloud.com/cashcass
clyp.it/1wa5lrq1
clyp.it/nwodwp3c
clyp.it/4owz3b3p
clyp.it/x5ykdgep
clyp.it/nlw5key5
clyp.it/oyqj0c5q
youtu.be/xk5aZYVhxAg
youtu.be/M1DcD8e55YY
clyp.it/e3wmd1jy
clyp.it/spnijbic
clyp.it/ga0z1joi
clyp.it/bgeybfuz
clyp.it/zszrj20n
clyp.it/hq1czm4q
youtube.com/watch?v=VY2OWWDfAP8
youtube.com/watch?v=caWiITdWnuY
clyp.it/a1aj0jd3
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZcaXikDUqU
clyp.it/ul32cz1b
clyp.it/xu5cyh4v
clyp.it/iirnd5y0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
clyp.it/fxkbhmyg
clyp.it/ic2pjgjm
clyp.it/phuw0rwy
clyp.it/syifx0ks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Music so good you can feel it

When you get goosebumps you know somethings right

What if you get an erection?

I've never gotten erection through music, how does that even happen

>finished 3 tracks in the last 7 days
VSTs for this feel

>tfw never finished a song

youtube.com/watch?v=7zIf_kJq22c

I envy you user. I have one last track for my album and I have a ton of anxiety about even starting it. What made you be more productive in the last 7 days?

thanks

When the bass is just right

no fucking clue dude, else half my problems would be gone. if i had to guess i would say more self confidence

I'm the folkfag that posted last thread about an acoustic recording setup. What kind of interface can I get that won't have a horrendous noise floor when recording into my laptop?

and good luck with your final track bro

Just do it and quit worrying so much

Trips confirm

Where the clyps at, /prod/ucers?

what's good in the reaktor library friends?

just started getting into it and i never realized how good some f this shit is even in the factory library :)

my faves: newscool (

clyp.it/eygvailz

tell me how terrible my mix is.

Thanks famalam

I'll power through it. For the trips.

Musically this is fantastic, but yes it needs to be a bit brighter which can be fixed with proper bussing and eq/compression. I like the stereo spread

clyp.it/xzlm33nn

What can I do to make this sound fuller without going overboard? I feel like it's missing something. I also plan on fixing that 3rd/last sample.

Nice playing

yeah, that tone is a little on the dark side. i was going to quad track the rhythm guitars, but i got lazy. guess i can do it tomorrow. thanks for listening, anons.

How about some ride or snare?
What is that sample that starts at 0:24? Sounds cool. I've been looking for that exact sound in my head for awhile

Clean up the guitar tone and you'll have something nice. Love this style of playing btw. Would download.

Give it something organic

This is sort of a /prod/ post but I'm just so chuffed I want to share with my /prod/friends. I copped this badboy today - a 1921 Westinghouse radio reciever. Came with headsets because people didn't have speakers in 1921. One of the first home radios to ever exist! I don't know if it works just yet but it's all complete and in amazing condition. Can't wait to get this sweet thang all polished up!

All the samples are from "All For Myself" by Sufjan Stevens.
Here's the exact sample though,
a.clyp.it/yzcpeala.mp3

That's really cool, mate

Hi, /prod/

Question, I don't have a MIDI keyboard. I use the virtual keyboard on Reaper as a substiturte, but it's somewhat problematic at times. Is there a more custimzable virtual keyboard plugin out there?

So in 1921 you had to sit by yourself with a headset on like some NEET to listen to the radio at home?

Where'd you get it?

clyp.it/t1fxsoky

does this transition between parts too abruptly?

Well there wasn't a whole lot of radio being broadcast just yet anyway so it was more of a novelty I guess. I know some people who are cleaning-out a recently deceased family member's house and they found it. It's mah burphday coming-up and they know I refurb and tinker with old audio stuff so they just gave it to me. Little shitbox sold for $65 in 1921, which is like $900 today. If I get it up to museum quality I could probably get over $500 for it!

It doesn't translate too quickly, I feel like the parts go by pretty quick though. Just when I was getting into the groove of it it changed to a different part of the song.
Nice bass slaps

Damn, nice. Good luck

Thanks friend! I'll probably post again someday if I get it working. Saw some youtube demos and it sounds fucking spectacular. Actually makes the "wooooweeeeee" radio tuning sounds. Heh.

gimi sum feedback guise

clyp.it/pnjtr4jw

Matrix revolutions/10

Postan' a nu classic for your eartertainment!

clyp.it/kd4vqnl3

lmfao sounds great

Kek

I just like old hardware. Rate my cheapo setup.
>synths: Yamaha TX81Z
>keys: korg microkey
>drums: Korg ER-1
>effects: Yamaha SPX 90 II
>sampler: (can't find anything interesting hardware wise)

i'm really not that familiar with any of that shizz but they sure do look purdy in the pictures! make any noise with those thanks that we can her?

>sampler: (can't find anything interesting hardware wise)
Try some of the Emu samplers with the Z-plane filters, all the esi range with the latest OS have the Z-plane filters and the E4kXTs have them too.
I picked up a ESI4000 for £50 with the latest OS and effects board and put a new oled screen in it. Sounds great. Will pick up a E4XT Ultra at some point as I like it so much. A lot of old jungle was made on just these machines back in the day. Tthey have warm sounding D/A converters and are fantastic for making bass, the bottom feeder filter is amazing.

I've only got the TX81Z so far. I've barely played around with it.
soundcloud.com/exe-5/tremor

well it has a breddy cool sound. get ta work ya bum!

>A lot of old jungle was made on just these machines back in the day.
Actually that's pretty appealing. I'm really interested in the origins of chop-and-cut style afro rhythms, it would be interesting to see what I could do with hardware from their apex. Let's just see if I can do that on a budget. Thanks user.

>well it has a breddy cool sound
Yeah, it's a criminally underrated budget synth from my research

How can I keep setting myself apart as a DJ. I am going to eventually start making my own tracks but for now I have learned to beat match, learned proper transitions, learned how to read dance floors. I am working on broader music theory and selection and sample use. Any other suggestions? I am going to start recording my sets and posting them on my social media. Any other advice friends?

How did you get transitions down? I can never tell what should come next.

There's a few videos on YouTube regarding this.
Here's part 2 of a fracture and Neptune video showing them making bass in the EMU sampler be sure to watch part 1 too

youtu.be/yheX4yrOOQI

Also worth watching the Dillinja making bass in the studio video and there's a good ed rush and optical video to that are easy to search for.

Budget wise these samplers are ridiculously cheap right now, back in the 90's I paid £1200 for my EMU ESI32 and like I said I picked up a ESI4000 (which is the better version with effects board installed and extra outputs) for £50

so you have to think of your DJ sets as a ebb and flow

like a build up then a break down. keep the energy moving in 15 minute intervals. high low, higher less low, higher medium, etc. like that. Use mixed in key to figure out what needs to have your next tracks line up nicely. Don't try to plan sets. Get familiar with your tracks and use them as a deck of cards to interchange them in response to what the audience is feeling. Its okay you will misjudge it sometimes but we all do at first. If you practice you will for sure get it man. Also watch some DJ tutorials and good boiler room sets to see how the DJs move through their mixes. There is a really good laid-back luke lecture about DJing

here it is, it really helped me a lot: youtube.com/watch?v=sQ86-ON5LBg

sorry still drunk if this doesn't make a lot of sense or my grammar is fucked up

thanks user, that helps a lot

How do I sound like Bach?

write only in MIDI

>Deep House, not the modern variety
clyp.it/puwg0qsh

I am strongly considering scrapping the first 2 minutes and going from there. One track part failed to export if empty soundin.

It's as if you asked the drummer to play using only his legs. Drummers should use all limbs
Make filter moves purposeful. fack
Mix into relative keys. I don't know why this has to be said but some people really ham fist transitions, and this is just good practice.
Lately bass track pls. Post clyp

>buy a 3.5k pa system for events from now to december
>one day before the first gig the club owner cancels all our dates.
lovely day

What is the most difficult electronic genre known to man?

I can't even imagine. I'm someone who does freelance work for a living, so I've gotten into the habit of creating/entering into contracts before ever putting in my own time or money into a project. A lot of people will flake if you start to tell them to sign off on a binding agreement, but when there's anything more than a few hundred dollars involved it can be a lifesaver.

Yes if you need to use such contracts it means small claims in order to follow thru collecting. Best of luck landing new gigs.

nice meme

Sorry to hear that, bro

clean mix, loving the chords, reminiscent of detroit swindle

maybe use some different drum fills here and there

recommended headphones?

Hello /prod/, I come to you with an issue that I hope you can help me with.
I bought the Scarlett 2i2 for recording and all that, connected it to PC, installed drivers, all is well. But when I use the headphone jack for playback, with a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter to plug my headphones in, I get this intermittent horrible buzz like I'm ramming a synthesizer with a hammer. Sometimes it passes in 5 seconds, sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect teh cable, sometimes I have to restart my PC. Other than that the system works fine.
Now, I know it's not the cable since I tried more than one and they all work flawlessly in any other connection. I doubt it's the adapter itself because I used two different ones with the same problem, and even bought a new one to no avail.

Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this?

akkord is the best thing ever, however i found skrewell to be a meme

clyp.it/dj0kqm1q

I have no idea what I'm doing.

that snare is annoying as fuck bro

I admittedly put way too much snare into it. I'll mix it down to make it subtle or remove it completely.

Is the Scarlett connected directly to the computer?

yeah I haven't even thought of going thru and adding fills yet. I'm pretty shite with percussion so I save it for last.
classic ground loop, prob from ground wire(shield) touching copper in the headphone connector wire.
4:15 -> part should be moved before, and build into the 3:00 part. fuck your 2:30 "intro" brah B]

>shitpostin my Omega CODE patches
clyp.it/msnr2t2a
clyp.it/wagtns5a

youtube.com/watch?v=74JgN1nVMuQ

Why is it so comfy?

Yeah, with the USB cable that came with it.
How does one even solve this ground loop issue? Does the "ground" part have anything to do with the physical ground? Because none of the cables connected are touching it, they're all floating in the air

You've never heard of GROUND as in electricity... The copper shielding is likely touching one of the two leads' copper. At least some of the time, cuz it's damaged. Open it up and fix it.

I;'m fucking pissed, how are we supposed to get the musical stems from Billboard's top 32 hit Go 4 It (Corey Feldmen) as it clearly warrants the rework...

just email him directly bruh

>listen to album
>check producers equipboard
>all these memes

was the album by skrillex?

Roly Porter actually.

youtube.com/watch?v=KEGgwI_EnZE

Oh, nevermind it is some faggot with similar name.
WEW

>clyp.it/puwg0qsh
sounds great
got a soundcloud or something?

yo this is really good

prob will go to this one
soundcloud.com/cashcass

How would I add lows to something that has none?
Copy the sound and transpose it, EQ, etc.?

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN
The list of channels?

/prod/ I'm a hack guitarist who can only read tab and some sheet music, but I don't know true guitar music theory. I've been wanting to get into it for some time now, even taking a music course in Uni.

Where do I start, as in the basics of it all, what is music production exactly? I want to be able to make decent music and use technology to make it sound better. What would be good starter gear?

Would it be possible to make a miniature super durable vinyl record in a eurorack module where you can modulate scratching and pitch by CV?

Would it be possible to do this with like tape or something?

production is like the sound design and selection part which for guitars would mean what pedals and amp you use for the rough mix before the final mix

watch pensado's place into the lair for an idea of how mixing works

- Waves R-bass
- Putting a lowpass filter (like ableton autofilter or soundtoys filterfreak) with the resonance turned up on a send and blending the original sound with it old hip-hop trick
- If it's like a synth sound blend in a sine wave or something

I fell asleep shortly after this, but this was very inspiring

Do these sound OK?

clyp.it/1wa5lrq1
clyp.it/nwodwp3c

I don't know if it's too loud / quiet / smashed / painful to listen to / etc.

yo I just downloaded fl studio and pressed some random buttons

clyp.it/4owz3b3p

where can I sign up, I want to make beats for living

It sounds pretty compressed and harsh, but OTOH it actually kinds of fits the sound. It's pretty repetitive though.

I totally agree, however also worried others mightn't feel the same. Yeah I should have noted, it's missing a few things like guitar / fills / etc, this is just the meat of it I guess. Anyway, thank you for listening

Any of you know anything about sound production for movies?
I got hired for a short movie and they want me to be in charge of sound recording and mixing. Thing is i barely know shit, i don't know why they called me but i could use the cash. How hard could it be?

What's the basic equipment i need? A boom mic, some tie mics, a recorder and a mixer can get my ass covered?

Rate my K-mart vaporgaze.
clyp.it/x5ykdgep

I don't know but it sounds like you're really, really under-qualified and might regret it down the line

Cash would be good but you'll probably spend a shitload of time learning and sorting out equipment

real fuckin wet. Just how I like it. Although maybe avoid phasing the lows so much the groove is lost.

It's a short film (around 12 min.) really small project, the script is pure dogshit, so i'm not really pressured.
Also i always wanted to learn about production, spending a shitload of time on this is kind of what i expect to do

Does this sound OK too?
I'm the same as clyp.it/nlw5key5

ur gonna get raped

fuck is this? I cant export to mp3s.

Thanks

Post your render settings

wow, so come to daddy era aphex was just LFO modulated sample start and loop times

MAKES YOU THINK

clyp.it/oyqj0c5q

>prog house
If anyone likes the vibe, HMU for a collab, not that I won't make a nice tune, I just want to see what ideas other people might have.

>Want octatrack
>look on reverb, guitarcenter and craigslist
>plenty of used octatracks for sale for 800-900
>reverb finally gibs me monies from sold gear (holy fuck they are slow)
>go back
>they're all gone, every single one
>haven't seen any new listings in a hot minute

why is it always like this

44100 or 48000? ;)

no matter

looking for a good, free saxophone vst plz

oh god no

get Kontakt

Do you ever feel nervous when playing live? I get this huge feeling of being overwhelmed how the fuck do I conquer that?

what's wrong?

alcohol

Cocaine

Shits healthy for you right fellas?

Deep breathing, dick out

who cares

Wear sunglasses and hit play on live_set.wav. ez

What do you think is worse: being terrible or being average?

I think it's the latter.

Average/apathy/mediocrity is the most boring thing on the planet. Being confident and GOOD is great, being confident and shitty is AWESOME, being confident and mediocre is arrogant, useless, and bourgeois af phuc

>You sound so terrible that its good.
>You sound so average that its good.

being average has potential to become better
being terrible usually doesn't change

Can't tell if satire

wtf is satire

arrogant mediocrity detected

this is satire. careful tho it gets pretty in tents

youtu.be/xk5aZYVhxAg

i dont get it

Are there any "official" or good Kontakt libraries that have citar or similar instruments, or some complete library list?

youtu.be/M1DcD8e55YY

>tfw you spent half an hour on a shitty improv but don't want to delete it so you save it along the other couple hundred of unfinished "WIPs"

I can't take this anymore. It's been 2 years.

you have ADD

Possibly, but I think not seeing potential in any of my work could be the reason too.

you have to ask yourself why tho
either add or depressed

Which producer makes you think?

>custimzable virtual keyboard plugin
Just assuming youre talking about standard keyboard sounds here not VST synths.
get the free kontakt plug in from NI and then go a keyboard/piano sampler. The alicia keys: keys is a really good sounding piano emulator.

Get a doctor or fix your meme depression yourself and spend 8 hours or more everyday /prod/ing.

Airborn
Uppermost
Onuka

Which fucking faggot came with the idea to put fucking three dashes there instead of one.

>2016
>still uses FL

this
also what's your DAW of choice?
Ableton here

them

cubase.
Only single complaint I could think of is I don't like how it does pitch bend. Everything else is perfect for me.

>Ableton
Shit piano roll, can't use mouse to adjust parameters, retarded mix, no stereo/mono knob

does cubase have Complex Pro Transpose mode?
pitch bend is great on Ableton in that mode

Do you just watch videos to speed up the reading process and keep the manual as a just in case I need it kind of deal?

>can't use mouse to adjust parameters

are you retarded, sir?

mousewheel* :^)

No. Automation in general in cubase does not cater very well towards the electronic musician. However there's so much shit that makes up for it and it's doable but just takes an extra step

>mousewheel* :^)
I feel like that's nitpicking (non-alberton user here)

maybe because it's not precise

Every program can do that but Ableton.
But I guess if your target audience is using Apple why even bother.

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

what do you guys think of my new h3h3 remix in progress?

clyp.it/e3wmd1jy

bretty good baka desu sirtaki

What's a good fm vst with a matrix like sytrus but with actually usable envelopes?

Prince Paul.

Thinking about grabbing a hardware sample sequencer, entry level. Is there a sound roundup article that you guys know of or have any recs?

No idea what that UI element is for but can't you choose to drag in increments of 1, 10 or 100 by dragging on one of the dashes? Lot of things in FL have that and I think it's very neat.

You looking for midrange quality or dank?
If you're just looking for something basic and useful, look into the Focusrite Scarlette 2i2, or 2i4 if you plan on getting into midi

if you want to spend a couple times that, and get much better converters and preamps, check out the Apogee Duet

Great synth. Look into getting a VA synth, some user recently bought a used Supernova, tons of voices and effects available per patch.

Regarding samplers, are you looking for a keyboard sampler, or a sequencing type of sampler like an MPC? Most can do both with varying degrees of sucess, but start your searching with that in mind.

Play more live shows. If you want to do something that will make you truly nervous, pick up some piano lessons and start playing recitals. Bars aren't as intimidating as the kinds of people expecting Chopin.

Es-1.
I got mine for a 100 bucks.

>no stereo/mono knob

utility plugins are mixing 101, are you retarded?

>It's the DAW's fault I don't know how to mix.

>Its okay to not have stereo/mono knob by default.
>"You just don't know mix, the mixer is not shit, shut up"

Delusional Ableton drones

Ableton.
Heh.
More like...
Disableton.

>xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Anyone know of a good vst or something that can emulate 90s memphis/three6/dj sound/blackout type eerie lo fi keyboard sounds? Pretty new to making beats but havent really been able to get what I'm looking for out of Nexus or omnisphere

Simple monophonic melodies, you don't need a big complex pad for old school stuff

clyp.it/spnijbic

update on the h3h3 remix wip, fixed the mix a lil bit what do you guys think?

ear drums BTFO

like the melody though

lmao thanks

simply awful

clyp.it/ga0z1joi
I'm trying to make some interesting techno, I know my mixing is shit, but I'm mostly working on my actual sound design and composition right now. Anyone got tips on that area?

I wasn't really talking about the melody more the tone of the synth

post an example

There's a solenoid in that lego thing, hooked it up to SQ-1 sequencer, I guess you could say it's a cowbell robot.

any thoughts on the production, or ideas for this madlib/Dilla inspired beat?

clyp.it/bgeybfuz

Is it best to perform live with friends coming along? Just in case some weird maniac try's to fuck your shit up?

I'd work on the kick, the rhythm is a bit too generic now I think.

What sort of music do you play that weird maniacs fucking your shit up is a prime concern?

I guess hip hop

AYO HOL UP

I don't want some fucking nigger or some white trash meth head trying to fucking kill me t b h. That shit is fucking crazy

Try country or something then

Guess il have to bring MAH NIGGAZ when I preform then

sup wit it boys

clyp.it/zszrj20n

update of the thing I posted yestaday

I've saved up an assload of money during the past two years and I'm ready to spend it. Should I get a MiniMoog Model D re-issue or the Prophet 6? Which and why?

I want to learn ableton but the manual is SOOOOO FUCKING BORING.

Is there a good series of videos that can give me a good idea ? I've already watched the point blank videos.

Why not a little phatty or something?

sadowick

who the actual fuck are you worried about pissing off? what are you playing? 'some fucking nigger' isn't exactly descriptive unless you're playing some white supremacist shit.

I don't know, man. The Phatty's good, but it's lacking something. I've grown a huge boner for those "vintage" analog synth sounds lately. Can't find any original at a decent price, so I suppose I'll have to get those damn reissues.

I used to have a jen sx1000, that's about the cheapest vintage analog you can get (300 or so) if you like the sound. It's also very simple, no cv/midi etc.

I'm pretty I won't piss anyone off, it's just going by myself to shows seems sketchy

I'm pretty sure*

clyp.it/hq1czm4q

Tips from /prod/

youtube.com/watch?v=VY2OWWDfAP8

youtube.com/watch?v=caWiITdWnuY

>those fucking loud shit samples out of nowhere

comedy gold

it just depends on your confidence. and where you play. don't do your first show at a sketchy place if you're alone. use your judgement. it's basic life advice.

pirated arturia v5 collection works but i cant see the vst on ableton its all black any idea

You have to buy it first.

that's fucking cool

- did you go to options>preferences>file folder and set the VST plugin folder that they're in?

- if so have you tried rescan or turning the 'use VST plug-in custom folder' off and on again?

- Did you install a 64bit version for a 32 bit DAW or sumsuch?

not cool third worlders deserve to make whack music too

That's what I mean though, basic synth patches like raw saw or square

yes, i tried twice, first scanning my custom folder, and then another folder in which they have .dlls (programdata). both were recognized as vst, and both work if i press buttons or click on it, but the whole window is just a black screen.

ill do this now

32 bit vst2 for 32 bit ableton. there was the option for vst3 but i dont think ableton is compatible

It's usually in the venues interest to somewhat protect their performers from nigger attacks. It won't look be good for business if there is a stabbing or assault in their area

I thought that going through a break-up will be inspiring.

I was wrong, I have no motivation to even open my DAW and I want to die instead.

ok i either fixed it by doing the second thing you suggested or using my amd gpu to render ableton instead of integrated intel in any way thanks

Biblical 3d art is the chronic my man
Killer beat too

You can sing and play with your shovel anytime

i really really like it, it has even more potential imo you should keep making versions of it

on the mixing side the drums/clicks give me a bit of a headache, nothing wrong with the sample selection its just the transients sound like they hit you wrong. maybe use a reference mix

pretty dope

Tips, /prod/? Please rate and hate.

clyp.it/1wa5lrq1
clyp.it/nwodwp3c

thats pretty chill but the snare in the first one is cancer

Damn. Why?

sounds like this

Could you be more specific: is it too harsh, loud, quiet, muddy, or you don't like how it fits in?

It's harsh and too loud

Lift weights instead

It's meant to be harsh, and I feel like turning it down would lose the intensity. What would you recommend?

it sounds like the snare's boosted around 15k or something, did you put the whole track through ozone and boost the high end? id absolutely darken that snare

How do I stop getting triggered by good composers and producers as well? I was just reading some articles about theme development but all the examples were from john williams and I couldn't concentrate on the words because I felt intimidated by that guy because I will probably never be able to compose anything even remotely good without a degree in composition.

I am triggered and need a medical help.

Memey rant aside, I really am poisoning myself with these thoughts 24/7.

I fuck with this heavy. I always wanted to make a beat tape of similarly produced beats but would have no idea where to go after the initial idea. Anyway keep going, would love to hear more stuff like this

I don't think I did anything to it except add reverb, but I'll give that a shot and see what happens

>Its okay to not have stereo/mono knob by default
it literally is lol, how fucking often are you even converting files from stereo to mono?
>mixer is shit
why do you keep saying this and not explaining literally anything that's wrong with it?

they're racists, they think all black people are violent and crazy and liable to attack performers at any minute

There's plenty of people with degrees in music that don't make good music.

You've really got to just write something that you want to hear - not something that sounds like a good job of imitating someone or a technical display, something that feels right emotionally. Be a curator of sound like you're just picking your favorite music from the sounds you make.

Hi, /prod/, completely new at this stuff

I'm finding that using plugins like Ez drummer don't give me enough control from time to time.. I was thinking of getting some sort of MIDI drum pad. I'm not invested in drumming enough to get an expensive e-kit or anything. I just need something to make the process easier, the learning percussion elements is just a bonus. What would you recommend? I'm planning to buy used, to keep costs down

Things I've been looking at:

Akai Professinal MPD18. Cheap as fuck. Only thing is I don't think it has external triggers for if I wanted to my legs for a kick drum/hi-hat pedal. What would be a slight step up from this?

I've also been somewhat thinking of getting a synth controller, would I knock two birds with one stone by getting something like the Akai MPK Mini Mk2 or the m-audio oxygen? Can I connect external triggers?

>that obligatory mixing course video

Anyways, i'd love for someone to comment on this, shit all over it.

clyp.it/a1aj0jd3

Are there any pieces of equipment that combine a great synth with a drum sequencer?

I'm on a budget and trying to decide whether I want to spend money on a drum machine or a good synth and I figured why not try and get both. I know there are a few out there but I dunno how good they're supposed to be. Which ones should I check out?

>MPD18

I used to have this and it was really bad, I can't remember if it was flamming or unresponsive pads. It's a common gripe which is why there's mods for the pads

Thanks and good to know about the transients. I'm using satin from u-he a tape emulator so that could be the problem.

>no idea where to go after the initial idea
forsure relate to this. I have 6 or 7 sketches just like this one, the hardest part is finishing

I don't think it would be Satin, just the attacks on the samples need taming a bit, maybe a few high frequencies narrow cut

depends what you mean by "great synth"

having drums and synth sounds on the same device usually means it's a rompler (sample based). Sampled synth sounds typically aren't viewed as great by many, but they can sounds good.

adding a good sequencer on top of that does limit your selection.

But if you are looking for a great all in one device and on a budget, check out some older roland grooveboxes or emu command stations.

If you want something more current, check out elektron octotrack, korg electribe, or dsi tempest.

What's the best affordable hardware preamp for distorting things nicely?

cassette recorder

Not all Malaysians are like this I swear, holy shit fuck that guy

lol i know its just funny

the golden age project 73 are ok-ish neve clones and clip pretty nicely

Any other pads that are better?

thanks, my fav setting on the decapitator is the neve one. I've been running stuff out from the computer through analog synth inputs and the saturation sounds one of the few things I can tell the difference from software about them

So I've been cleaning up my myriad of automation clips and removing the parts where nothing is happening and I think the CPU usage got better.
What?
I mean, I can see why some plugins would deal with jumps way better than slopes, but it seems even a straight line is a burden?
Or is it not even the audio and it's just drawing a lot of pretty graphs tires the poor thing?

I guess I'm cutting them out from now on, anyway.

only pad things i've used are the one you mentioned and axiom keyboard pads. Both sucked shit but i have heard the pad mod for the akai is like night and day. that would be cheaper than getting something like maschine i guess.

If I want to make music for games where do I find the projects to work on?

Yeah I'm definitely not looking for a rompler. I thought there were a few (Roland had one I thought) pretty reasonably-regarded devices that combined a good synth and a good sequencer into one but I could be wrong.

Maybe I'll just go with a synth and just use Logic drums. It sucks but it's better than nothing until I can step up and pick up an MPC1000 or something. What's a good budget synth with lots of versatility? I really want to squeeze some crazy SAW2 sounds out of it but I also want to be able to use it for a lot of things.

i was drunk watching shawn wasabis videos the other night and impulsively ordered a midi fighter 3d. Any finger drummers here? i want to get into it but could also see more practical uses when producing or just tastefully implementing it in my live sets.

youtube.com/watch?v=6ZcaXikDUqU

Anyone own this and are happy with it? Probably going to pick up the keyboard model soon. My used MS20 shit the bed and I'm too dumb to fix it myself, so I'm looking for something digital to escape the analog meme.

forgot pic

when was the last time we did a /collab/

do people with unique intruments ever provide samples for other people who request them?

>get some neat melodies going
>yahoo!
>SERIOUS PROGRAM ERROR LIVE WILL CLOSE
>ok...
>open it again
>lost it all because I was running the demo version
fucking hell, the .auz crack works for only one session and then it's back to demo, someone help me fix this so i don't have to authorize every day !!!

clyp.it/ul32cz1b
this any better??

readme.txt is there for a reason

korg minilogue is insanely cheap for a poly analog and the demos to me sound better than much more expensive poly analogs

Also about SAWII, he used an fz-10m, a CS-5 and a Matrix 12. You can get the sonic charge cyclone, play arturia's CS-80 in mono with a +5db boost at 110hz (compared this to the CS-5 I have next to me) and also arturia's Matrix 12V and get a similar sound.

I'll check out the Minilogue.

I've been looking at the CS-5 (coincidentally I think he and BMSR both use it) and it sounds pretty cool but I dunno about monophonic. I'll look into the other two, though, thanks.

yeah it's much smoother, but there seems to be a slight woody sound maybe around 400hz in the kick and i would do just a slight cut there

Great synth. Has some nasty aliasing in the upper registers though. You can run out of voices quickly by using wavetables or using unison on poly patches. The Curtis filter is neat for PPG wave type sounds, but it's pretty inaccurate.

clyp.it/xu5cyh4v

going for a witch house vibe, minus the house

>but I dunno about monophonic
I would say that being monophonic gives it an advantage. You play the synth in a different way than you would in a poly, and usually the voice archetecture and gain staging is much different.

For example, a Minimoog sounds great with three oscillators, but a polysynth with 3 oscillators per voice is either going to be too muddy, or you're probably wasting an oscillator.

hm, ok.

Looks like I'll have to research more. Not sure If I'd be good at modding things, so maybe I'll look into the korg padcontrol, or alesis stuff

god dammit,why doesnt the link button in ableton's sampler set the loop start to the sample start instead of setting the sample start to the loop start? that would be so much more useful

clyp.it/iirnd5y0

Should I continue work on this y/n

y

the focusrite 2i4s are shit, i thought they would be decent but all iv had are problems with mine. first the usb socket broke, sent that back and now the unit i have now has a noisy headphone jack, best to avoid budget gear altogether. just my 2cents tho.

I also recommended the Apogee Duet as a true quality ($$$) interface

ok so i think i have a problem

it gets worse

much much worse

>harambe Project

its really just taking off the pads and putting in new ones or something its not circuit bending

I just have a 2016 project

With filenames as yy-mm-dd

Sup /prod/. Whenever I get an idea for some track I feel so inspired, and then when I sit down at the daw, I feel intimidated and can never finish any tracks. Any advice for this feel?

actually has nothing to do with harambe, im just shit at naming things so resort to memes, lel

damn thats a pretty decent filing sysem

Practice more.

Also don't go in with an idea, try to just experiment and go from there. You'll only be disappointed.

What should I do to practice?

learn your software/gear/instruments inside out and practice so you can get the ideas out fast and the sound you want

not that guy but learning songs and playing them

for production try dropping songs you like into the DAW and trying to get the same sound

googling what the artist used, close listening and trial & error will help

Now if only you could release something...

What should I do specifically? "Just learn it inside out" is pretty vague.

>tfw make a good song
>tfw next song I try to make is completely shit

I can't ever make an ep I swear

just listen to them and delete the ones that suck

I had trouble finishing songs too but this video helped
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Know how your synths work, how compresion, eq, limiting, distortion, reverb, delay etc. work, know music theory, learn common sound design, learn mixing techniques and practice to put it all together.

Where can I learn this?

i asked amon tobin how he got so good and he said 'alienate your friends and family and do nothing but making music all day'

Read the manuals for everything you use, watch youtube tutorials/info vids, read some books (e.g. Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio), practice.

The first track I posted on sc got 10k plays in 1 day and still gets 5 plays a day. That was 3 years ago and nothing I've made since touches it.

>10k plays in 1 day
it prob showed up on related tracks in a famous song .. I wouldn't doubt that it isn't good though

>5 plays a day
my tracks get 1-20 plays a day desu

Holy shit man, that's bananas!
>tfw I put so much effort and craft into my work and I get some of the most stunning results that I'm super chuffed with, and nobody cares.
Most people just aren't in awe of the world around them I guess. I guess that's kinda the way it is.

clyp.it/fxkbhmyg

I thought someone said you can't post clyps... i'll post mine in a sec it's like 15 seconds tell me if it sounds good no sugarcoating bullshit

clyp.it/ic2pjgjm

They are: BLM

Chill it with those hihat spams, mate. Otherwise, I liked it

The highs on this track are killing me. I know you're going for lo-fi but there is just way too much buzz.

>I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hey gonna post this here. Hoping for some feedback on the riff...kinda started this but not sure if i should continue. lyrics are just to feel out vocal melodies but feel free to bash me however. Thanks.

clyp.it/phuw0rwy

Here's a little thing I've been working on. Was going to post it today but I thought of unsyncing the shaker while at work. Any feed back would be appreciated. clyp.it/syifx0ks

lol, right?

Still waiting for your proof you little fucking cunt. You can claim anything you want, but wanting it to be true doesn't make it true does it? Buddy fucking Rich taught me to play... You can't fucking play. If you could, you could VERY easily play something, record a video of you playing it, and post it. then again, at this point I wouldn't put it past a pathetic, lying piece of shit like you to steal a video of someone who CAN play and claiming it is actually you. Did you sell your kit to buy AIDS meds since your boyfriend gave you AIDS when he fucked your ass? The hilarious thing is you claim to be smarter than me? LMAO! My fucking dog is smarter than you are. So are my landscaping rocks. You're too stupid to have even the first clue as to why it is so painfully obvious that you are a pathetic loser who is completely clueless and full of shit. Do you know the types of people who love to throw around insults to try to make themselves look good? Pathetic losers like you who aren't actually any good at anything. Once again, if you could actually play at ALL, you would recognize that while this performance isn't perfect, it is still pretty damn good. If you were an actual musician, you would understand that live performances are rarely EVER perfect, the slight imperfections are what make live music organic. Had you actually studied music at all, you would understand those, and many other things that you clearly do NOT understand. You're a fake, and it's pretty damn obvious. I'll give you credit for something though. If I was as pathetic as you, I would have killed myself years ago. Congrats on not doing so. The world needs someone to ridicule...

holy fucking shit dude

Cool pasta, can I save it?

It's all yours my friend

remove the acoustic guitar or low its volume
add synths somewhere in the begginning
snare sounds good
the shaks-shaks and the other noise acompaining the drums sounds ok
add more variety with the drum 'melody', break the track in two, duo it, 2nd half must be another melody with the same "instrumental" on the background + add other things, its this just "chill" instrumental hip-hop you want? u want to fit in a certain style?????????????????????????????

maximum mad.

wasn't really looking to fit into any certain style, just a chill little bump i was working on. Wasn't planning on turning it into anything more than like a minute or so long head nodder

What exactly is physics modeling ?

Producing music.

New thread, /prod/. This one's sinking