Please explain why this album is rated so highly when It objectively sounds like shit

Please explain why this album is rated so highly when It objectively sounds like shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TsjcQoJ8W4U
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

doing it first >= doing it best

(You)

>rated highly
>objective shit

Pretty sure it's just you not liking it rather than it being objective shit which is impossible anyways.

I only like 1 one their songs (I'm Glad)

youtube.com/watch?v=TsjcQoJ8W4U

Rest is shit

There are certainly some unpleasant and maybe out of place songs (Hair Pie: Bake 1 and Hair Pie: Bake 2), I agree. But there are also some memorable and enjoyable songs that represent the nature of the album perfectly - Moonlight on Vermont, Pachuco Cadaver, Ella Guru, Frownland. It's about deconstructing Delta blues and blues rock to it's roots and mixing them with avant-garde, jazz, free jazz and experimental motifs. There's polyrhytmic drumming, which is a main part of free jazz, then there are slide guitar and straight up blues licks. Captain's voice might be off putting and harsh on this album, but he's a great blues singer, which is definitely showcased on his less critically and slightly more commercial albums (Unconditionally guaranteed, Bluejeans & Moonbeams). If you're familiar with Howlin' Wolf, Captain's voice is Howlin' Wolf x10.
Try listening to his first album - Safe as milk. It's a great blues rock album and although it's an indication of things to come, it's still accessible and one of the best in his discography. I understand that it's really hard to appreciate this album and similar albums, if you're not a musican. That's not to say that you need to be a musican in order to enjoy and appreciate music. And of course, you don't have to like every single album you've heard. Polyrhytmic drumming is really common in free jazz, but not in rock and blues, so that's why it sounds off to you. Polyrhytms are two separate rhythms played at the same time - which is impressive from a technical standpoint and impressive in the context of time in which the album was made.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
There are examples of how they're used and by which musicians. It's an interesting read.

Thanks for the insight, I'll check it out

It's supposed to sound like, in fact it's masterful how intentionally shit it is. It takes skill and serious technical knowledge to make something so genuinely bad. It's dadaism in musical form.

Quality post considering you replied to a shitpost

beefheart made the musicians learn their songs backwards, he sang thru a phone and plain improvised on some parts.
never had anyone dared approach blues as he did, not even zappa.

That's the explanation I've given to some actually gold threads about Captain Beefheart. I just copied what I've already written. You never know, there may be some reasonable people that could read it.

Good*

>thinking The Magic Band is A BAND
>pretending you've actually listened to all the good Beefheart stuff
>not realizing you're a massive pleb
wew

>not realizing that Safe as Milk is the best album of 1967 and so the best album of the 60s.
Wowie Zowie

Some albums sound like dookie but it's the lyrics and the story that bring it all together that make the 10/10

the lyrics are just fun imo. Why would they be great?

I started enjoying the album much more when I stopped taking it seriously. Now it's one of my favorites.

One man's objective shit is another man's subjective chocolate mousse.

Oh boy.

It's a novelty record guys.
That's about it. Other wise it's a scam, a spook, a Rothko if you will. Which bares no substance yet you buy into it.

Let's remind ourselves that that Don was mentally ill, never had the discipline to learn an instrument himself and physically & mentally tortured his band. Not to mention, he kept all the money himself and was deeply paranoid when reporters would ask about his Trout Mask band and whether they got payed or not.

The drummer who transcribed all of Dons work was mentally & physically abused so much that he had a problem coping with the outside world after TMR and turned full Jesus freak. Too many acid spiking and beatings.
Don is a hack, most of his life is a fabricated lie and you take that to the bank.

Go out one night and play TMR to your friends, see if they don't look at you like a disgusting freak.

Nice pasta.

I'm listening to Safe As Milk right now because of this post and it's pretty great blues rock. Then again, I know very close to zero about blues, but I'm finding this album way better than most of the 60s rock bands that emulated blues, like the Stooges in their first album, for example.

I'm glad you like it. And as I've said, you don't have to know very much or any music theory to enjoy music. And also, Safe as milk is the indication of things to come, especially songs like Autumn Child and Electricity. Those two songs are clearly blues rock songs, but there's theremin too, which is not very characteristic of blues. As you can see, Captain's always had it, but it's more apparent on his later albums.

>It objectively sounds like shit
thats the point

No it's not. Please stop this meme

but hair pie bake 2 is a 10/10 and one of his best songs

but its groovy

Trout Mask Replica's really catchy though

Who's the old person who made this photoshop?

TMR is one of the best pleb filter ever. If you don't like it, give up on trying being a patrician. You will never be.

the preparation for this album was fucked up

its what makes trout mask one of,if not the, most interesting albums of all time

>Please explain why this album is rated so highly when It objectively sounds like shit
What album is that?

I feel the same way about this album like I do with books like The Stranger by Camus (although they're both completely different in style...one is all over the place, the other is stale and bland). You'll read or listen to shit like this and wonder why the fuck it's so highly praised and so then you go online and read words like "avant garde free jazz" or "existential absurdism" and then it all makes sense...it's just garbage for pseudo intellectuals to jerk off to.

What music do you listen to that you truly respect and understand?

kek now I gotta listen to the whole thing

Pleb

>The Stranger is bad
It's still a great book even if it has the reputation of being for angsty undergrads

>all these buttmad plebs who think that TMR sounds like shit
Are you guys retarded? How does any Beefheart song "sound" bad? The weird, distended structures are what make it more interesting and compelling than most blues rock in the first place, and if you can't appreciate that you've been retarded by muh melodic Beatles pop and need to listen to more music.

Trout Mask Replica is many things, but "abrasive" is not one of them.

"I walked into the little shop down the street. I grabbed some milk. I don't much care for milk, but on this particular day I felt like I wanted some. Later on I saw a man beat his dog. I didn't much care for it, but I felt it didn't matter how I felt so I kept walking."

Yeah no fuck that book. It was like reading the most boring twitter feed. I get what the author was trying to convey, but it was shit regardless.

Come on. That's how you're supposed to be immersed into his mind, his emotionless, matter-of-fact state. Notice how the narration becomes more emotionally charged when Albert starts feeling.

If this is "bad" to you then you have a very narrow idea of what good writing is.

Are you in high school? That's the only people that could relate to this book.

>Its supposed to be boring
Just like TMR is supposed to sound like shit. Again, hipster trash for psdue intellectuals to jerk off to. In the Stranger's case, kids taking English 1000 at their community college.

>Just like TMR is supposed to sound like shit. Again, hipster trash for psdue intellectuals to jerk off to.
What do you listen to? I've asked you this question before, but you clearly ignored it. What kind of music do real intellectuals listen to?

>A book can only be good if I can relate to it
Have you even reached high school, yet?

puddle of mudd

Yeah I guess I can't relate to shitty writing that sounds like a goth kid's twitter feed.
I'm not going to list the bands I like just so you can shitpost them even if you enjoy them as well. You must think I'm new here. :)