ITT: Albums with atrocious mixing/production

ITT: Albums with atrocious mixing/production.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hOZ7iXsaoeM
youtube.com/watch?v=GOvG0cNWsrM
youtube.com/watch?v=hShKWIL7VXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rick Rubin is a hack.

Obvious answer coming through

Love that hollow sound I dunno I think it's fitting

I agree with OP, compared to Hatful of Hollow it's very low and shallow

nah, the production works in their favor on this album. I'd say 'masks' production is slightly worse.

see also: the Mars Volta

you think that's bad, listen to the Troy Tate sessions

If these made it to Hatful of Hollow it would probably be my least favorite smiths album then my first

Wait this didn't seem like a bait thread

I love this album but you have to admit it's the worst produced album ever

THANK YOU
The vocals are mixed so low you can't even tell if he's singing in English half the time

new day rising absolutely neutered everything that isn't the bass

i like the production on this
it's amateurish, it's not bad

And then they fucked the mixing up in the '97 remaster.

Before someone blames Bowie for it, he was brought in the remix the recordings the band has made, which consisted of 3 channels, the band, Iggy and guitar overdubs, so he couldn't salvage a lot.

Still god-tier though

i feel like the mixing on this being bad is mostly a meme, its fine on 99% of the album.

Mostly like the production on this but the vocals are too low. Danse Mantanee would be a better choice.

Mixing is terrible

>Implying it is deliberate

>wow I read that technically this has clipping on it, people tell me this is an outrage, i am outraged

Or you know, he can hear at and it sounds like shit. Just like Californication posted above

it sounds like shit because it's metallica

I like the production on this, suits the music

>haha ill just put in frequencies that hurt peoples ears for mad pranks and so that people know im mental yeah wicked

le madman

literally danerous to listen to for long periods of time

>nearly has the crest factor of a square wave

>implying the Troy Tate version of Reel Around The Fountain isn't amazing
absoute plebs
youtube.com/watch?v=hOZ7iXsaoeM

>And then they fucked the mixing up in the '97 remaster.
The mixing on the 97 remix is fine, it's just the mastering fucked up. I fucking hate vinyl rips, but download a vinyl rip of the legacy release of the remix. There's no way in hell it's sourced from the same mastering as the CD

Yeah, sorry I meant mastering.
I got the deluxe version of it which has a decent master, more in line with the original. Certainly not as bad as the Iggy version.

This.

I fucking love both bands, but I can't even listen to that album much any more it's produced so loudly.

Mars Volta wasn't as bad. Frances the Mute is fine but Rubin is probably responsible for De-Loused, and Amputechture just hurts to listen to

Shouldn't really count if it's intentional and fits with the album

wow he's so experimental lmao

t. Aphex fan with tinnitus

The clipping thing is annoying but it isn't the main reason I dislike the production on that album. It's that the bass is so blended into Hetfield's guitar that you can't make it out at all (I could have just as easily posted AJFA)

Oh what could have been.

>the snares are like bullets
>cause it's war get it
>the war inside our heads with the death of Cliff
>the 80s are going away we'll have nothing to be angry at anymore
>war never changes

despise this fucking album

Albini a shit

In reference to Deathconsciousness

I do agree the lo-fi sound does fit the album, it's just so insanely brooding and completely muddies the vocals up way too much. The vocals are meant to be a big part of the album but you really have to strain to hear them over this wall of buzzing noise.

Shitty production fits Pixies' style

I was wondering when someone would post something by Albini.

I disagree

i *love* the mix on this.

Kanye West - Life of Pablo

I like most of the songs but god damn some parts literally hurt my ears

And of course they're both produced by Rick Rubin
Only good production I've heard from him is Johnny Cash's American Recordings albums, but even those are mastered pretty hot

i remember playing this for a friend once and they asked if it was a bootleg or something because it sounded like shit

fucking awful

The vocals being almost lost in the mix goes with the depressive vibe

PJ Harvey is unlistenable in any public environment.

The difference with volume is absurd.

But damm is the music good.

My friend thought it was a live recording.

I always wonder if it's just me because no one ever mentions it. Maybe I just have fucked up ears.

its frustrating because the songs are so good, they just need better mixing. Flip Your Wig sounds pretty shit too. i wonder if the SST demos can be salvaged?

So sad

for example? (also it's rick rubin what do you expect?)

This is the first Tyler related album I flat out disliked. Sounds like something you'd hear on Bandcamp made in garage band.

pls

Seriously no one posted "spiderland" yet? This is a classic, and the music is so fucking good, but the mixing and recording is so shitty, that it always makes mi sad when im listening to it. The mix makes this album very flat, and for such an interesting piece of art its a bloody waste. It could have been pretty much perfect if not the mix.

>Not understanding that Albini's mixing is what makes this album sound so good

isn't that the whole point though?

ywn hear Jaki Liebezeit recorded by someone who knows how to competently record drums

awful production

Steve wasn't involved with Spiderland at all, though. He was only the producer on Tweez

also pic related

This is one of the best mixed albums ever what the ever-living fuck are you actually talking about?

Albini didn't mix Spiderland

Intentional and pretty much makes the album what it is.

>tfw ywn hear the climax in Paperhouse with decent production

dude please elaborate, i have no clue why you think this. spiderland genuinely has some of the best production i've heard

Hey, fuck off m8

Dynamically it's shit, it sounds sour, it sounds like a perfectly prepared band spent all their money for the recording, but couldn't afford a sound engineer, so one of them took the whole technical job. And please don't say the mixing is great because it isn't, every SE would say this. BTW the mastering is also shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=GOvG0cNWsrM
This version is good too.

This nigga.

Totally with you on this my man

that's literally the opposite of explaining yourself.

>don't say the mixing is great because it isn't

what about it is bad? what's mixed too high/too low

these seem like totally baseless accusations, and i've never heard a sound engineer say it was badly done

You just talked about the mixing for a whole sentence without actually saying anything about it, good job. Also
>every SE would say this
Steve Albini called the record flawless

there's nothing particular wrong with their self titled mixing. bass sound is clear and good, so is morrisey's voice
i agree with those

still one of my favorite albums tho

and fuck the ''wall of sound'' meme

I agree with this. The Troy Tate versions are far superior and sound more raw.

Well I would point out that your argument is completely fucking retarded and wrong by literally any objective means but you did refer to the thing that you're arguing against as is a "meme" so I'm powerless here.

I used to think this, then I listened to the stereo version. Just compare this youtube.com/watch?v=hShKWIL7VXQ (mono) to this youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo (stereo).

I find it funny and a bit confusing that the Beatles' best albums are shit on stereo and amazing on mono while Pet Sounds is the opposite.

this one goes against every mixing "rule" in the book and makes it even better in my opinion

I think the stereo versions sound wrong. Not because I'm used to mono but things sound too sparse and wide, the drums don't punch the same, neither does the bass and the instruments sound very far away. The only plus for me is the stereo vocal layers which were just terrific.

I've found that the majority disagrees with me on Pet Sounds and I think the only Beatles albums that are better in mono are Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's

can you give some examples of rule breaking in that album

The extreme compression for one. It actually makes it sound pretty good somehow.

The production style on this album suits songs like Cupid de Locke, but compare a song like Jellybelly or Muzzle to anything off of Siamese Dream the production comes across as incredibly weak

almost no proper low end mixing throughout most of it, like for instance jasmine sounds incredibly muddy in a good way. Its also very heavily tape saturated to the point of distortion but it gives the drums crunch. Vocals are mixed way too low throughout as well which definitely adds to his sound though. Also, random mutes of the whole mix and side chaining most of the vocals and instruments to the kick drum.

Ah yes, it's extremely Viral Marketed and that's one example how it's against the rules :)

test

Is this bait? What the fuck senpai

and hes a genius for that too

this is happening

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Shut up Jai

you may not like it, but its exactly what they were looking to do

Firstly
>steve albini said this album is flawless
>...
>pitchfork gave [name it] a 2.0
>it must be objectively the truth
No

Secondly
>whats mixed too low/too high

Boys, mixing isn't only a technical thing, it is also an artistic job. That means, that just because everything is recorded pretty good, and you made every instrument sound all, it doesnt make it a masterpiece mix. A good mix is where you can feel the vibe coming out of the music, you need to make accent that there is a refrain by making it a little louder, or changing something that has been going through the rest of the track. And spiderland hasnt got non of it, the mix is monotonous. Nothing changes. The effects (for example the reverb) is almost inaudible, or it doesnt fit with the whole. I know you might thing what im sayin is shit because i dont agree with you, but seriously, compare this record with others. This is a clean mix, but with no artistical touch at all. It makes spiderland sound dull.
>inb4 thats still not an argument go suck a cock

I assume you liked Tweez

That was a reply to you saying no sound engineer would say the mixing was great you fucking idiot

first of all steve albini is a sound engineer so you're starting the post off pretty retarded

secondly,
>A good mix is where you can feel the vibe coming out of the music

opinion 100% discarded

have you even listened to spiderland? the mix fits this album perfectly.
>makes spiderland sound dull

this is the icing on the cake. kys

hey turbo autist
albini's opinion was cited because he's a
FAMOUS
PRODUCER
YOU FUCK
>artistic job
so you have aesthetic qualms with it
>or changing something that has been going through the rest of the track
or couldn't the artists do this themselves in the composition of the actual pieces?
>effects are almost inaudible
ok whats the issue

muh artistic differences

this is one of the best produced records ever t b h

You are the fucking idiots, youre protecting your statements but you have never done anything with mixing or recording whatsoever.
>the mix fits this album perfectly
ITS FUCKING AMATEUR
And yes, mixing is an artistic job, and its not a fucking opinion its a fact. Try and record something and then mix it. Mixing is almost as important as the music itself. Just because a track is supposed to be for instance a no wave song, in which the artists do nothing but play absurdly on a broken guitar, it doesnt mean that as a sound engineer should do the same thing. So if spiderland is intended to sound dull and feely, it doesn't mean the mixing is supposed to sound raw and almost undone

You just sound like someone who majored in sound engineering and now you desperately want to feel important. The job of the engineer is to make the mixing fit the feel of the album and the artistic vision of the artist, not to go fucking rogue and do whatever the fuck he wants lmao.

>you have never done anything with mixing or recording whatsoever
really? I havent?
also, listen to more no wave

Potentially good album ruined by truly shit tier mixing

that is 100% your opinion you stupid fuck, how do you not understand that. legendary, professional sound engineers have said that the mixing is perfect, and i've never heard somebody complain about it before, so clearly you're in the minority

also
>Mixing is almost as important as the music itself
holy fucking kek

He's right about that tho.

>You just sound like someone who majored in sound engineering and now you desperately want to feel important

>thread is about badly mixed albums
>reply
>get savaged by a bunch of cucks because i dont like spiderlands final effect
>get called a narsissistic

Yes, «the job of the engineer is to make the mixing fit the feel of the album and the artistic vision of the artist», but once again, it has to sound good as well, not only fit the album, at least when its not avant-garde.

that's 100% true though

it's not true at all. there are a ton of albums with shit mixing that are great, as evidenced by this thread. it's an important part of production, as are a ton of things. no producing can save a shit album, but bad producing can't make a great album shitty. that proves how much the music matters

Like fucking what have you done? Mixed a track for your trash metal band you recorded in a shit studio? Or maybe regulate the faders on logic or perhaps flstudio when you made your third gabber? Or maybe you work on stage, and connect the cables?

The '97 mixing is exactly what makes it so good.

This is the right answer, would have been AOTY but the production makes it unlistenanable.

The mixing is exactly why I like it so much though.

It's unique and fitting for the tone of the album

Jesus fucking christ.
Once again: pretty good

jesus fucking christ is right.

what i'm saying is that the statement that mixing is ALMOST AS IMPORTANT as the music itself is wrong as fuck. it's nowhere close to as important

it's super obvious that any aspect of an albums production done well will make the album way better, but bad mixing won't make good music bad.

it's like 30% as important as the music itself

Do you also shit on black metal records for their mixing?

this is the one answer in the thread i 100% agree with. it's absolutely shit, but again, it doesn't really make the album bad. the music is great so it's a good album. but damn if the mixing was better it would be crazy

that and they lost the masters to half the album
still my favorite album sempai

PS, if mixing is not important and only the music is, then why the fuck are there so many sound engineers and professional studios all around the world? People want to hear their favourite bands in a good quality, not everyone likes lofi avantgarde noise as much

Remastered is much better.

This is a damn shame too because I love Deftones.

This.
Sure u can have a great album, but if the mixing is shit, then it isn't perfect. There's a 'but'.
"That album rocks my cocks, BUT the mixing sucks"
Why does there need to be a 'but'?
Its whatever tho, most normals don't give a shit about sound quality because they know little to nothing about it. But if an album's mix is fucked to all hell I'm not gonna listen to it again.

I can't believe nobody's posted the ark work yet

>A good mix is where you can feel the vibe coming out of the music

The mixing makes the music, so dividing it into music and mixing is absurd. There can be a shit song with a good mixing that makes it good, there can be a good song with a good mix that makes the song even better, and there can be a good song with a bad mix/no mix that makes it bad. Its like saying effects dont count, or instrumenta dont count, and only the melody plays the real role.

there's no doubt that great mixing will make a great album better. i was just saying that it's well less important than the music itself. kind of as evidenced by pretty good bandcamp albums obviously amateurishly mixed by the artist

>but if the mixing is shit, then it isn't perfect.
yeah no doubt. i was just saying that it can still be good without great mixing. every aspect of an album can make it better or worse. mixing is just one aspect

>The mixing makes the music
i disagree

>There can be a shit song with a good mixing that makes it good
name literally one track like that. i totally disagree

>there can be a good song with a good mix that makes the song even better
yeah absolutely

>good song with a bad mix/no mix that makes it bad
dunno about that

i'm saying the music is like 70% of it, mixing/production/effects are like 30%

>I feel like the mono is better, except that for some reason I'm getting a lot of clipping. I don't think you picked a HQ version of it, despite the video title.

I think the mixing on this is perfect

>thread: good albums with shitty mixing
>"spiderlands mix is shit"
>"YOU KEK FUCKING NIGGER NO ITS THE BEST MIX EVVER REEE"
>"no its not, it makes the album lose a feeling ya know"
>"NO IT DOES NOT YOU FOOKEN NIGGER"
>"yes it does, a good mix is very important"
>"NO ITS NOT"
>"yes it is"
>"OK IT IS BUT IT DOESNT MAKE THE ALBUM SHIT"
>"i did not say that"
>"OK"
>"ok"

I still love the way that 1979 sounds, production and all.

but i really don't like the strings on tonight tonight personally

other than those 2 songs I've only listened to the whole thing once.

who are you quoting?

the thread is called "albums with atrocious mixing/production". i said that spiderland had a perfect mix, you disagreed. i then said that mixing can't ruin an album, it would at most make it slightly worse. you disagreed. now you're greentexting things that never even happened like a retard

dont know why I greentexted that

No I just picked a random video, you'll have to imagine it in good quality

this album was trash to start with but you add the god awful mixing/production on top of it, it just becomes a shitshow

Are you really deluding yourself to make you not be the butthurt person in this thread? Your posts are still there you know, everyone can read them

if you think this had bad mixing, you should hear pretty much every other against me album

what were they looking to do?

Whoa this cover is 10x better now.
Also they improved the vocals but everything else degraded from ZA.

The only AP album where the lo fi works against it is Scared Famous.

you would be wrong, pic related

i hate how they only inverted the colors in the top half of the cover

What's wrong with the mixing...

wrong
so wrong

Blood Sugar Sex Magik had pretty good production.

I actually like this album more than most, but fuck the drums.

What

That album is one of the smoothest I've ever listened to

It's actually a great album

thats not a bad thing, also they really aren't that hard to here, something like Loveless is way harder.

if it wasn't for the shit mixing this would have been as good as ril

how has no one mentioned this

the production is stellar but the mixing + mastering was fucking awful. you literally can't hear a difference when you hear it with shitty earphones and higher quality headphones

You have shitty headphones because their is a clear difference when I listen to this album from my apple headphones and my ath-m50x headphones

Do you people not even consider the fact that the mixing is part of the style/sound?

that's funny because my headphones are literally ath-m50x lmao

What bugs me is that the noise on the opening track is so painfully shrill that I can't listen to it except on like very low volume

It bums me out, the feedback loops over the keys are so great and it's one of my favorite songs on the album but I can barely listen to it anymore. I used to listen to it all the time. Idk how the fuck I did it or if my headphones were just really shitty or if my ears are just more sensitive now from abuse

Good album tho

wtf happened bring Albini back

oh my god
fucking this

Just because it's part of the sound doesn't give it a pass; sometimes they can take their lo-fi sound a little too far.

It wasn't intentional. I used to live near to the studio where that album was recorded. They had shitty equipment that was out of date and didn't have enough money for a better studio.

v true just wish it sounded as good as it was created

"""""""""""no""""""""""""

y'all wrong as hell

If anything, loundness war makes the Power even more Raw

I love the sound on this. Did they ever remaster it or something?

this

That kendrick song is alright tho

Let England Shake is lush though

that's not a mixing issue at all. google what mixing/mastering is.

these people know what bad mixing is.

these people are just biased idiots

i think you meant to post icbyd

Wrong. Listen to flac rips and turn them way up. They sound great.

The raw production on this is one of the best aspects of the album.

Honestly so dry sounding which is a criticism I have of so many 80s pop records

Fucking TRUUUUU man holy shit this irritates me so damn much godDAMN

I like the sound of live Joy Division a shitload but the production literally made that album

The Bowie mix is shitty titties but the Iggy mix is even worse. Not saying that's a bad thing either.

>Not liking Psychic Trauma's screaming wall of noise
You insane

and all Of Montreal albums in general

b8

That one's excusable because they lost the masters for the album because SOMEONE didn't back anything up and the only thing that was left was a shitty 120 kbps version of the finished product.

production and mixing are two very different things

Don't have a problem with this but something about De-loused rubs me the wrong way despite the music being good.

agreed, the drums sound like utter shit

How has this not been mentioned yet?

Even with intentions in mind the mixing is really bad

why do you say that, my friend?

This is one of the worst-mastered major hip-hop releases ever, and the fact that so many people on here are disagreeing confirms the belief that the majority of this board doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

not sure if bait...

Not.

Sure the guitars are magical but it would be so much better if the rhythm section was even slightly there

I know it's "lo fi" but fuck

Do I seriously have to listen to all the Beatles albums again?....

No. They sound better in Stereo. And I personally think Pet Sounds sounds like shit in Stereo if you're wearing headphones, so I completely disagree with the person you're replying to.

i kinda like that tinny 80s sound, idk

this was intentional, i like the mix on spirit

agreed

agreed

disagreed

literally how

very wrong. if you want a badly mixed beefheart record listen to safe as milk

agreed strongly

even though its intentional its literally impossible to listen to this tape because of the mix, agreed

wrong

WRONG

obvious bait

This album is a guidebook on how hot to mix shit.

>hot
NOT, not hot