Is this literally "I'm tired of singing so here's a bunch of solos" the album?

Is this literally "I'm tired of singing so here's a bunch of solos" the album?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zPwucFar9kM
youtube.com/watch?v=EwUFRSfniUM
youtube.com/watch?v=p-tumi1y7-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cfuoY5BGdj8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Frank Zappa - I Shut Up and Play My Guitar is

no it's "I suck at writing lyrics - like - BAD - so here's a bunch of solos, and I don't quite know the difference between pink floyd and jangle pop-infused new age" the album

I like this album cover

Holy shit that sounds great, I'll listen to it now

I liked "Lost for words".
youtube.com/watch?v=zPwucFar9kM

Well, it's better than "I'm tired of writing good music so here's a bunch of mediocre disco shit"

>it's the "i suck at lyrics so im going to get my wife to write them and so people accept it as legit im going to give rick a song and stick a bunch of solos on pop songs" album

>its a 'roger gets angry at [x]' album

>literally one song with a disco beat

>muh 'disco' meme
There's like three songs on the album that are disco/dance-y and that's Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 (the disco idea was actually Bob Ezrin's idea. They basically said to him 'we don't do singles, fuck off' and he made it anyway), Young Lust, and Run Like Hell.

Also, the only way you'd think The Wall was mediocre is if you didn't get the concept.

my uncle used to call this band 'stink floyd'

Gilmour and his wife are so fucking bad at writing lyrics, some of the worst I ever heard coming from an otherwise competent musician.
His solo album On An Island was a good album though. The lyrics there are actually good sometimes.

Not it's literally "hey this is enjoyable" the album

Real shit right here.

Kind of sucks when you work with music's greatest lyricist and then you're put into a position to write something that compares to that.

On an Island was groovy as fuck. The tour is pretty epic too. Echoes at Remember that Night is absolutely breathtaking.

>tfw got VIP tickets for Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall next week

Haven't listened to Rattle That Lock at all, but I loved On an Island as a 13 year old.

Division Bell had its moments. Cluster One, Marooned, Lost for Words. High Hopes was brilliant when I went to pic related.

let's compromise!

It's the "I'm tired of singing so here's a bunch of solos but it's ok because me and my son's mother suck at writing lyrics - like - BAD - so we give rick a song to make it legit and stick a bunch of trash on jangle pop-infused new age music because we don't even know what pink floyd sounds like anymore" album.

Fuck you, piece of shit. The closest place he came to me was Madison Square Garden and fuck that, that's too much money.

Rattle That Lock isn't too bad. Some of the stuff is a bit mediocre (for Gilmour, with anyone else it'd be pretty good) and it doesn't really hold up to repeated listens, but the title track, Faces of Stone, In Any Tongue, and A Boat Lies Waiting (the song he dedicated to Rick) are decent.

Damn, that's some shit. I would've loved to have seen that. Echoes is bitching. Too bad I'll never hear it from them ever, except in recordings.

just one more addition:

>It's the "I'm tired of singing so here's a bunch of solos but it's ok because me and my son's mother suck at writing lyrics - like - BAD - so we give rick a song to make it legit and stick a bunch of trash on jangle pop-infused new age music because we don't even know what pink floyd sounds like anymore p.s. fuck you roger" album.

the concept of the wall is something ten year olds can interpret
its basic and dull

Remember that shitty album they release last year or something in memory of Rick, the collection of demos? And they added one original song. The first line was "We bitch and we fight". I remember it so well because the sheer ridiculous bluntness of it made me laugh like a madman

One thing I hate with Gilmour's Floyd is the overuse of female backing vocals

It's like, there's this wall around him, and the wall symbolizes a wall.

>"the endless cashgrab"

Basically spitting on the grave of Rick Wright. The Division Bell 20th Anniversary was the same year and they could've just packaged it with that. It's just a bunch of unfinished demos pieced together (they didn't actually play any of that in a coherent piece, they just basically made a frankenstein album out of the demos)

I don't know what Gilmour was thinking with giving that song lyrics. You know what he should've done? Either kept it all instrumental, as the band's moment of silence for Rick, or gotten Roger or someone, hell maybe get off his lazy ass and write his own damn lyrics. Instead we got that abomination as the last lyrics of Pink Floyd, rather than High Hopes.

AND - the song was caleld LOUDER THAN WORDS and it was THE ONE song on the album with fucking words

the artistic incompetency it unbelievable. i remember when the record company released the greatest hits album, Pink Floyd Ltd. (each member with an equal share in the company) had to have a meeting to discuss a name. Gilmour suggested "Sum of the Parts" and Rodge laughed him out of the proverbial room, and instead suggest a more worthy "Echoes". Rodge then did an interview about it and told the story without any sugar coating about how poor Gilmour is with words. kek.

Roger has that same problem. I don't know why they think it sounds good. They've been doing this retarded shit since Dark Side of the Moon.

>p.s. fuck you roger
kek, that's a wrap anons I think we got it!

yes the lyrics in Animals were much better than the division bell
>muh mary whitehouse
>muh people are stupid sheep

Saw the Division Bell concert, Ohio Stadium, 1994 or 1995. Good concert. Fact is none of Pink Floyd's lyrics are all that great. If you let Waters to it all, you end up with "The Final Cut."

Both albums without Waters are pretty decent. Better than The Final Cut.

There are no female vocals in Roger-led Pink Floyd after Dark Side except some chorus fills in Shine On. He caught the bug in his solo career though, and started going around with three female backing singers like Gilmour did as far back as the 80's.

Roger isn't some master lyricist either. His best lyrics are from Wish You Were Here because it was drawn from personal experience and not him being buttmad about whatever socio-political issue of the time.

Lucky. I wish I could've seen them on ANY tour. Except maybe their 1975 tour. The bootlegs make it sound rowdy as fuck.

I disagree with the notion that they're better than the Final Cut, at least A Momentary Lapse of Reason. AMLOR sucks.

I wish there was some footage from their Animals tour. By the text descriptions I've read, it sounds fucking wild SFX-wise. Far more impressive than the undeniably also impressive lasers of Gilmour-led PF.

>handpicking one lyric that's dated badly.
>not even referencing a specific lyric.

Fuck off. Are you seriously trying to imply that David and Polly's lyrics are better?
That's what I meant. Roger caught that shit with Pros and Cons really hard and he's just not been able to let it go. Have you heard that atrocious version of Wish You Were Here with Eric Clapton that they did for the 2005 Tsunami fund? Fucking awful.
Roger's best individual song is If. I kind of wonder what it'd be like if Roger decided to stick with this folksy sort of style.

There's some spotty footage here and there recorded by people that snuck cameras into the venue.

Cleveland:
youtube.com/watch?v=EwUFRSfniUM

Anaheim:
youtube.com/watch?v=p-tumi1y7-Q

But it can't possibly even begin to compare to actually seeing this. I think the early Pink Floyd shows at the UFO and the Roundhouse would be the only thing that could top this.

You might appreciate this then. Original copy of DOTM, posters and stickers accounted for.

Damn, that's fantastic. Do you have a first pressing Wish You Were Here with the original shrink wrap and a postcard?

Did you see Roger Waters on any of his tours? I hear he's awesome.

I do not have an original Wish You Were Here, and I have not seen Waters. I've always been a Gilmour fan. I prefer the songs he sings too. And really, the Pink Floyd sound is his soaring guitar solos.

As an aside, up until this past summer, the Pink Floyd concert was my most memorable, and I have to say Guns N Roses was even better. Saw them multiple times. You all should check them out if they come back around, else in 20 years you might be in the same situation and wondering "what if?"

saucerful/relics era pink floyd > any other era of pink floyd

Eh, we can agree to disagree. I'm more of a Waters dude, but if Syd was still alive (and still into music, I guess) I'd be a Syd guy. I'd say the Pink Floyd sound is a blending of Gilmour's passionate guitars, Wright's ethereal keyboards which build the soundscape, Mason just being Mason and knowing what to play and when to play it, Waters singing his lyrics, and Syd's shadow cast over the group.

Maybe I will. I can't say I like GnR though.

How about an ending song that would be 10+ minute version of Careful With that Axe Eugene

how can you mention the "we bitch and we fight" line and not mention that he immediately follows it up with "Diss each other on sight" which is somehow infinitely funnier.

If Syd "was alive"...more like if he was able to create music after Saucerful of Secrets...well that's about what you would have. Nothing like Obscured by Clouds or anything that came after. Obscured by Clouds is the hidden classic IMHO.

As for GNR, I graduated HS in 1992, so the entirety of GNRs productive career (1988-1992) was during my HS time. One of those things I guess.

I'm getting second-hand embarrassment for poor Gilmour

I go back and listen to Animals and I don't think the lyrics to it have aged well at all despite how acclaimed it is. I think Radio Kaos and TFC got what Roger was trying to say much better then Animals did imo

Not Now John had female vocals.

The wall is the most obvious metaphor for isolation there is.

that's the worst. he also legit rhymed the word "capitulate"

in the pre-pepe days anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=cfuoY5BGdj8 bonus track

>recording yourself masturbate in the 70s
>waiting 45 years and then showing it to people

why the fuck did this make me laugh so hard

>Pros and Cons
Roger gets angry about not having sex all the time

>Radio K.A.O.S
Roger gets angry at capitalism

>Amused to Death
Roger gets angry at the TV

Obscured by Clouds is a great album. A bit rushed, but it still holds up.

underrated post t b h

keep talking is pretty good though.

it's a neat song it's just not all that interesting or unique. it's suitable for adult contemporary/easy listenin' radio which is really a betrayal.

i do enjoy the song though, it just comes with a lot of congitive dissonance.

>criticizes people "who were trained not to spit in the fan"
>spits in a fan's face

Bravo Waters

well he's nobody's trained lapdog user

Cant wait for his next album

Roger gets angry at Israel