/prod/: Music production general - Post your WIPs Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/fujg5wza
clyp.it/phuw0rwy
youtube.com/watch?v=usjMU5cLdcw
clyp.it/tft4hlfj
clyp.it/hkrexi4k
youtube.com/watch?v=qYq-zWOxX7c
clyp.it/h4tlfyzf
clyp.it/4vjfqkaj
clyp.it/2tssyujw]R.E.M.
tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
clyp.it/h5m31snc
youtu.be/td-e4i2BL_Q?t=71
soundcloud.com/oisincoleman64/president-of-what-all-men-are-pigs-demo
clyp.it/cb1jgrjd
korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/arpodyssey_module/
clyp.it/l5faiko3
clyp.it/ymyndaxd
youtu.be/0j7s6kevwpU?t=3m1s
clyp.it/5symah32
clyp.it/zarwi4dy
clyp.it/a0ldojop
youtube.com/watch?v=omOcAFxAQJo
clyp.it/faqyro33
clyp.it/5wvsdnre
clyp.it/evreljtp
clyp.it/wvezmf2j
clyp.it/z0qqbrngc
clyp.it/z0qqbrng
youtu.be/bfvJAcou96s
fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_and_music_sampling
vimeo.com/3984949)
clyp.it/egpu1wl1
clyp.it/xu5cyh4v
clyp.it/3nh0j5nl
clyp.it/cy4ofk2m
clyp.it/y0dfr4kv
clyp.it/cml3mfmr
clyp.it/1p50bl1b
clyp.it/uku51ycb
clyp.it/retzbjjw
vocaroo.com/i/s0m1dpgIKxGJ
clyp.it/kxpts3tq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do i make a hit single?

>Find the secret red hit button on the inside of an MPC2000XL
>press it
>???
>profit

just use a generic progression with inverted chords to sound slightly more original and write a catchy motif melody hook to go along with it

I press buttons and make music
clyp.it/fujg5wza

Hoping for some feedback on the riff...kinda started this but not sure if i should continue. lyrics are just to feel out vocal melodies but feel free to bash me however. Thanks.

clyp.it/phuw0rwy

What's the secret to a good breakcore track?

So I've looked into the other synths you mentioned besides the CS-5 and the Matrix 12 stuck out to me. The demos I saw got a pretty crazy range of sounds out of it and it all sounds gorgeous, exactly what I'm looking for. The issue is that it's 5000 dollars and I'm looking for hardware so I'm not interested in using the VST replacement.

Is there a synth like this that isn't so expensive? I don't know what I'm looking for other than polyphony and lots of flexibility so I could use the same thing for ambient backdrops or basslines or lead playing or chords or whatever. Just anything that doesn't sound like shit and that I can use for a lot of stuff. I dunno.

Not my favorite type of genre so take this with a grain of salt, but it's not mind blowing. I'd listen to it, though. The riff works, but it's not memorable.

Where are the drums, homie?

What's the secret to finding a good chill hip hop sample?

actually spending some time looking and listening through music instead of googling "good chill hip hop sample"

bruh, i listen to just about everything except for modern country. DESU i haven't tried googling for samples though, you may be on to something there though.

I can't into drums, it's the next thing I'm going to work on after playing with synths for a bit.

desu unless you're not the kinda person to chop up samples you could probably find some modern country with nice acoustic guitars to sample :^)

yea trying to make something simple striped back, chill. But after listening for a while i think ima scrap it. Thanks tho!

Don't scrap it, mate. Just put it on the back burner, come back to it later

Admit it, /prod/. Have you ever used an unmodified VST preset?

I'll throw you my sample playlist if you want.
I used to write everything down in a book, but I ran out of pages.

reversed amen break

>that naming convention

And these are the ones that were developed enough (some still really basic) to be exported.

Btw, I posted every single one of them in these threads.

>woah, what's up with your naming convention, how do you remember which project is which?

I don't. I only remember the ones I work the most on. For example, the only thing I could consider "finished" is 11.11-2 from 2015 folder. Yeah, about a year passed.

Ah you posted it before me, knew it.

Yeah, I have no idea how to name those things effectively so I just put a date and call it a day.

Why would you put the date in the name when you can just sort it according to the date it was last changed and give some actuall name to the project, you are so retarded please just stop posting. You won't ever make anything good. I feel bad for you.

How do you guys know when to proceed with a musical idea you have and when to drop it? I'm not sure if I have too high standards but I give up extremely quickly.

Because I remember it by the date and the date created =/= date last modified so that wouldn't make sense. And a lot of them are too undeveloped to give them a good descriptive name.

Shut up, reported and saged.
I bet you use Ableton too.

I can never get my bass sounding so "dreamy"
youtube.com/watch?v=usjMU5cLdcw
could any of you help me out

Do you know what Reese is?

I can never get that mellow sound tho
I guess ill research and experiment more
thanks anyway

You get that by detuning the two non-sub oscillators a bit.

Oberheim Matrix 1000

good use of several types of break samples
massive attention to detail (lots of "glitching" and constantly unique percussion patterns)
uncommon time signatures
jungle style basslines
some sort of melodic component
quieter sections to break up the madness

>i listen to just about everything except for modern country

Should I get this thing?

looks like a waste of $ desudesu

I'm feeling like I should pull out of the stock market entirely so I can upgrade my Omega CODE 4 OD to and 8 voice.. That's $2.1k dudes

Fuck studio electronics pricing

Whats special about this grain VST?

free sample for flippin'. JD 990 / serum sound

clyp.it/tft4hlfj

>looks like a waste of $ desudesu
It's only 20 pounds though.
It's cheap.

he clearly uses fl studio. announcing report and sage is against the law. shitheel.

Start sampling records, its fun to listen to random records and find the chillest shit...Usually Jazz or soul with a mellow trumpet followed by a rhodes piano

Is the 555 good? I don't see it ever get recognition, I really want to get a 404 when I have the cash or an MPC 2000xl

catchy chord progression or lead

>ywn use occult magick to acquire out of your league techno gf

clyp.it/hkrexi4k

This is my first attempt at trap because a friend of mine asked me to do a super cheesy track with his vocals
How can I improve this?

sweet wallpaper dude
and the floor is nice too

get new friends
the fuck is this language
itailan?

clyp.it/hkrexi4k

This is my first attempt at trap because a friend asked me to do a super cheesy track for his vocals
How can I improve this?

Yeah it is, I just made it for fun you know
Sorry i'm on mobile and fucked up posting

fug

awesome painting!

Sweet jesus, thank you for helping me find my new waifu.

Xosar, if anybody needs the name.

>trying as hard as I can not to close the project and play vidya, and then when I return start on something else again. I have 40 seconds (of layered loops though) of music, chord progression is there, theme is starting to shape and I must NOT quit

Jesus, will I have to start doing drugs or something?

Yeah. and give me some. I'll pay you in rare samples from insane Swedish people that live in dumpsters.

>implying I use presets
What am I, an amateur?
Well, actually yes, I am, but I still don't use presets.

wow making a hackintosh 100% stable with a GTX 980 is a bitchaaa

Holy crap what I wouldn't give to get my hands on that Jupiter.

it's not that i don't mostly program from scratch but some classic stuff has been made using presets, I just see it like sampling kinda

in Diva a really cool thing to do is freezing knobs so it carries across preset changes so you can dial in a snappy reverse envelope and then see how it sounds on a bunch of presets

It's like a beefed up 404 with more effects, velocity pads, and loop capture. You can find them used for about the same price as a 404. What are you looking to do with them by the way?

Battlestations?
>take em
>rate em

This is the only thing that brings me joy in life, and it isn't my work.. Trying to get on a collective label here in Seattle so this can be better used, as I know I don't fully exploit its potential..

Not pictured: couple synths / compressors.

I don't think I could have one monitor but it looks nice besides that.

I had all my outboard gear on the other side of the room.

Inb4 speakers not pointing inwards, I didn't use them for mixing and I was on the other side of the room when they were on.

How hard is it to learn electronics for maintenance and repair of gear?

youtube.com/watch?v=qYq-zWOxX7c

ive been watching some of these videos and it seems really useful, like you wouldn't have to worry about your hardware croaking and you could get bargains from the spares and repairs on ebay

I'm this user and I've built some DIY gear for myself. It is extremely useful to solder your own cables and occasionally spend a ton of time on cheap but quality hardware.

It's not hard as it is time, parts, and labor intensive. I personally need to use a panavice as well as goggles to zoom my vision down to that level.

How are you liking that K4?

>tfw your m8 you produced with for years releases an EP, first since you left him, that you think is better than your own album

I want to produce electronic music without using a computer/laptop/tablet/phone. What are my options? I was looking at something like Maschine but I'm not sure if you can use it standalone.

guys i need help on the mix, what does sound "off" to you?
clyp.it/h4tlfyzf

That's the spirit
Thought so, saw her do a live set with one of those new elektron things.

What's that left of your keyboard, vermona something?

imported it from thompsonn in Germany last month cuz it was $1k less than it is here in the states from Kraft. I dumped an Akai MPK88 I had for 5 years for it, and obviously it has a much better key action. My friends have all commented on my playing being "better" recently, until I tell them about the new keyboard which is the main reason. I grew up playing a proper baby grand so it's great to have nice keys for the first time since moving out of my parents'.

I got the Ex version here, and that's because the main reason I got it over other boards is the built in physical model sounds. They're as amazing as the demos and it helps to be able to create my own vintage sounding "samples" of rhodes/pianet. Piano sounds are alright. The midi routing map thing is cool, but kind of a pain in the ass. I can send 8 ch over USB and have them each come out on their own MIDI port on the back, which obv allows sequencing of outboard stuff. Problem is that each midi map is saved per PERFORMANCE. I still haven't tried their editor online, but I basically need to copy the midi mapping for my studio to ever performance on the K4 so that was I can scroll between the Ex sound card models and keep my routings..

All in all, worth the 1.7k -- If I used an Akai mpk88 for 5 yrs, this is easily good for 10.

Retroverb lancet, yes. I run the 808 into it for spacey percussion sometimes.

How to fuck you supposed to leave when you're done making shit musix?

Do you use the crash function often? I really love the idea of that but I wonder how useful it really is.

Crawl under them pictures

it gives the same sound most times, but if you filter with high res, you can definitely get varied dub crashes with it. The unit is more of a filter with a spring inside than anything.

Maybe the Ektal moisturizer is more your thing if you need to touch springs.

Too bad her """"""""""""music"""""""""" is terrible. Would fug if I were given a chance and if I wasn't a robot.

How man of you guys pirate your shit? My Ableton trial expired today...

she´s probably having no idea what to do with anything on the wall and is just fucking around until they can take the selfie. god i hate women

I hope for your sake that this is satire.
Didn't know about the moisturizer, looks great.

flum?

just my personal experience, but I didn't make anything worth listening to till I decided to only use what I owned. Has the knack of forcing you to learn what you have inside and out.

Fucking this. Stop pirating shit you won't use. Buy something within your budget and master it.

makes you think

what the fuck guys

>record audio in ableton
>drag it into kontakt and it works fine
>record another bit of audio
>drag it into kontakt, it creates and instrument but no zone

why

does anyone have any composition tips regarding basslines? im interested in dub/funk/neo-soul/disco style basslines but don't really know how to achieve them other than by playing by ear.

here's a small sample of something i just made
>clyp.it/4vjfqkaj

...aside from companies like Native Instruments most audio software devs are small and independent shops that rely on people to buy their stuff.

if anything, it's more jewish to steal from small business owners.

Bump

here´s a thought i wont be buying music for next 10 years. you can all go suck it

>clyp.it/4vjfqkaj
very cozy. I don't know much to say, but as someone who learned bass after piano: bass sets the groove/swing of the track more than anything else. I think a real bass makes it easier to accent certain notes, and get varied harmonics which can make a repeating riff cooler.

oh wait i forgot no one actually uses samplers in depth anymore

[url=clyp.it/2tssyujw]R.E.M. - Be Mine (Cover (Sort of))[/url]
Recorded this a few years ago using my Spider Jam amp. My timing has gotten much better since then.
I'm also going to try and get a portable recording device later this year.

fuckoff. Kontakt is bloated shite. get good

tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Why would you use Kontakt sampler?

I really fucked up that link lol

clyp.it/h5m31snc

What I made out of Ableton Live

Oneohtrix Point Never has.
Sticky Drama - youtu.be/td-e4i2BL_Q?t=71 (1:11 if it doesn't go to it for you)
Serum: Pads > PD ChampionBassPad

this

the "sound design means synthesis and only synthesis" meme has gone too far

where to start with modular synths. give me an acceptable price to buy in at

Just because it says matrix, doesn't mean it's the same thing. There's a reason the Matrix 12 sells for 5k, there's really nothing out there like it.

I usually say $1000 usd is the bottom dollar. It will get you power, some sort of mounting, 1 VCO, 1 VCF, 1 VCA, 1 EG, 1 Midi to CV module, and possibly one more module.

Yes it's a money pit.

>Not routing audio into mutable instruments clouds modules

Git good

is $5000 enough to get me an og moog

it's like the Matrix 12, only with less voices. Now go play.

The meme I'm annoyed with is "sound design means musical patches for tracks and not actual sound design for film/vidya games"

I was actually thinking of the Xpander, which is like a keboardless matrix 12 but with way more I/O

>now go play
I'm not that other user

Modular?
I was lucky enough to get my OG minimoog for $1800

But modular, expect to pay $10,000 for a Model 10/12/15 now thanks to the reissues

Anyone here have experience with the 18i20 1st gen vs 2nd? I have a 1st that I recently bought and I found a 2nd gen on sale for the same price, might return it to get the 2nd.

To have a full case (about 104hp width), with a couple "good/desirable" modules (aka not all cheap pico modules), expect $2000-2500.

But you can get a system up and running by the $900-1200 mark

Tried recording a song with my budding and mixing it, opinions? any constructive critisicm?
soundcloud.com/oisincoleman64/president-of-what-all-men-are-pigs-demo

>modular
no
i dont think anyone here actually does that, but i do think just from my experiences messing with my own recorded sounds and trying to turn them into drum hits and stuff that this would be a fun thing to get into

>fuckoff. Kontakt is bloated shite. get good

are you angry that you couldn't figure it out?

that thing is a casio, only holds four samples

>i dont think anyone here actually does that
Nah, not really. Just guys I know who make shitstep IRL always call it sound design when they're making wubs.

I also recorded with a band, and the guy who got us studio time wanted a "sound design" credit even though he didn't do shit.

those digits, should I get a new car or a moog?

>are you angry
he put an e at the end of shit
he's british
of course he's angry

Moog. Always Moog.

The Matrix 1000 will get you SAW II sounds. The consensus is that he used matrix12/matrix6/xpander/matrix1000 which are all basically variants of each other. Most people think he used the matrix1000 because of the budget gear he used around that time.

cars dont even make music

Moog modular are mostly for purists. Euro rack is much more affordable and blowing up right now

scottish or irish probably

looks like im going for moog, i like my car atm anyways

>Moog modular are mostly for purists.
Your post wouldn't have sounded stupid if you omitted this.

Yeah, but where are you going to check your mix at?

euroracks are for rich dentist making fart noises and circlejerking each other on gearslutz

99% of eurorack owners make no music with them

Did somebody with a eurorack make fun of how poor and angry you are? You sound hurt.

semimodular desktop boxes > modular

Says the shitposter that literally doesn't post a clypit

clyp.it/cb1jgrjd

i think thats because most of the eurorack community is some genuine extramusical fetish like furries

>semimodular desktop boxes
What, all 2 of them?
The best semimodular isn't even desktop

Anyone?

/prod/ is too poor for a nice interface like that
hence the current discussion

>The best semimodular isn't even desktop
What is it?
>What, all 2 of them?
It's quite much if you count anything that has cv in and outs beyond just pitch.

So you're including the Microbrute?
I mean, if there's so many, mind listing any that aren't the Moog Mother 32 or the Tinysizer?

I guess so. Sheeit the 1st gen is only like 350 right now too.

Also, best semi-modular is the ARP 2600

I can't imagine there is much of a difference, other than UI changes.

You recording drums?

ur a gay faggot, git gud

Naw, 3 stereo synths, 1 mono, and one input left for guitar/mic

I am not a poorfag and I have gear.

they are nerds who love the kewl pew-pew lights and to jerk off when they think about the signal path of their rigs

Make no mistake, there are plenty of good producers who work on modular, but by and large, the majority of dudes with 10k rigs do nothing but talk about modules and post boring, overdone berlin school wankery.

>I am not a poorfag and I have gear.
This is false. If you weren't a jelly poorfag, you wouldn't be ruining /prod/ right now for no reason

MFB synths, some Vermona boxes, korg ms10/20 whatever, korg sq-1 sequencer, moog werkstatt, IIRC the elektron analog four has lots of cv in/outs too. Alright it's not that many but it always seems a basic analog synth is a way better starting point than a modular case with the same modules.

Make noise zero coast
Everything from dreadbox
Pittsburgh lifeforms
Korg ms20 desktop
Arp desktop
Grendel ra-9

I wouldn't really consider the korg sequencer as a semi-modular. I'm not saying semis are bad, but there's just not that much when you restrict it to desktop semi-modulars.

>ARP desktop
Wish they made a prebuilt option and I didn't have to sink like $2000 into it, otherwise I'd have one

>Wish they made a prebuilt option and I didn't have to sink like $2000 into it, otherwise I'd have one
get with the times son
korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/arpodyssey_module/

Oh, I thought you were talking about the TwoThousandSixHundred, the mini clone of the 2600

im not the guy you were talking to, it just sounded like you werent aware that they recently announced this

I remember hearing about it, but I didn't look into it cause it seems goofy having the PPC without a keyboard. Kind of like having a pitch and mod wheel on a desktop synth.

Plus I really don't need another monosynth. Might be getting one for free soon anyways.

is it possible to pirate omnisphere for windows?

I don't know, is it?

i dunno, is it?

Well, I don't know, is it?

Thats a great question! Is it?

hmm i wonder if it is

clyp.it/l5faiko3 compress
clyp.it/ymyndaxd not compress

help me convince myself that over compressing this track is a bad idea because i like the sound so much i keep coming back to it.

if it sounds good to you then who cares

It might be, do you know?

Yes.
Find a torrent on rutracker and follow the instructions.

well that was a fucking seizure and a half

The only reason you like your compressed version more is because it has a better spectral balance i.e. actually audible bass. Otherwise, it sounds extremely smile curved, and I'm guessing you used OTT, and that's ableton, u faggit

Just found out what monosynth I'll be getting with my free organ.

youtu.be/0j7s6kevwpU?t=3m1s

Fucking William Onyeabor sounds right here

That's a pretty good deal. Uses Fatar keybeds iirc, right?
Ah yes, nothing better than a nice action.

What's prod's opinion on pink noise mixing?

it's a Fatar TP/40GH. The more expensive version is the TP40 Wood and will have GW in the model name.

corrected my previous post

>pink noise
Are you gay?

Hey it's not rainbow noise.

Gay guy here, we don't use pink, that's for fags. White noise mixing master race

How might one achieve the SP 555/404's stuttering/repeat effect in Ableton? I've messed around a ton with Beat Repeat, but it allows you to control WHEN the effect happens up to a certain point.

>tfw I keep dropping my WIPs because I keep making shitty popular music while I want to compose classical because it's the only thing that matters and has any value to me in the end

I bet it's a unique feel this time. :S

>>>/comp/
Great place to start user

>"do not post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links..."
>posts YouTube links

Yes, quite often

wow owned

>Everything from dreadbox
How are these, anyone have something from them? There's one with a voltage controlled delay that looks very tasty.

What's whatever noise mixing anyway?

Have you looked at the soundcloud threads? It would be a spamfest here otherwise.

just sayin'

The sonic state video makes me want to buy the Erebus every time I watch it. Sounds great

dumb question, how do I stop Live 9 from stretching my audio clips? I want this clip to play at it's original tempo (80 bpm) but Abelton keeps stretching it to about 100 bpm. I tried to set the tempo back to 80, but then Live 9 slowed it down

So is this thread mainly for keyboards and stuff? Should I take my guitar/pod tone related question to the guitar and bass general?

processing, arrangement, mixing, and post-production here mostly. Yes

you should, but the general is for music production, not instruments

unwarp it

guitar sound is processing as in mixing as in production
I think it's fine here

put clip tempo to the same as the session tempo for it to play at it's original tempo

There is a "Warp" button, uncheck it

Well it's about the mixing of a guitar, so I'll shoot it off here anyways.
Basically I have a Line 6 pod from a couple of years back I want to start using again, but the guitar sound was always "tinny", sharp and weak, no real sustain or power behind it. I can post a recording if anyone cares.
I messed around in Ableton and was able to make it passable (much better when I recorded the bass on top), but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using one. I don't have much experience with DAWs (basically just self taught and by messing around) so if there are any "magic" tricks everyone does for guitars I'd appreciate it. I know a pod isn't ideal, but I've heard people get good sounds out of it.

pink noise is noise where all octaves of it are at proportional volumes

if you want to do a quick mix you open an audio channel of the pink noise and you play each element one by one against it and lower or increase the volume until you can barely hear the element over the noise and repeat

take the noise out once everything has been done and you will have an even mix.

step one: don't buy line 6 gear
step two: ????

what amp simulation are you using with it?

I got it like 6 years ago when I was an aspiring bedroom guitarist and didn't know any better.

This is what I used for a couple of songs back then. I don't have the thing installed since I reformatted my computer a while back so I can't open the other ones I saved right now, and this is the only picture I found. It's from 2011 so forgive me if my recollection is a bit hazy.

Why is hardware so expensive?

Don't be afraid to mess with the preamp gain while you're using that software. I think /gg/ would be able to help better with things like Toan and good amp modelers.

because its specialized equipment so they can charge more

ok, just get a good amp modeler like sgear and you're set, the interface itself is fine

It's a tangible product that requires an entire supply chain to produce and distribute. Software is easy to duplicate.

sounds better. plain and simple.

clyp.it/5symah32

clyp.it/zarwi4dy

thoughts?

also how should I drop this?

Yeah this looks pretty good. So I can use the Line 6 pod with s-gear?

of course

You mean DJFX looper?

Sweet.

>Why is hardware so expensive?
because you idiots are all so easily duped into paying 3000 bucks for a 20 year old keyboard that sounds equally as good as today's freeware

Spent an hour on this, will continue tomorrow. Some feedback would be gud I guess.

clyp.it/a0ldojop

>I got it like 6 years ago when I was an aspiring bedroom guitarist and didn't know any better.
6 years jesus christ buy a new interface ffs

this could be about 3 minutes shorter. Very repetitive, very bland.

strings sound fake, mix is bad 808 overpowering everything, melody is for toddlers

progression doesn't work for me, you're clipping a fuck ton, and bass comes in too early and is too loud

I did recently, you should too!

>Salty fag doesn't post clyp
And how is any of this valuable when we can hear jack all from you, mate.

the 'bland' remix clyp is almost 2k plays on SC lol

forgot to tag ya hear too, spoops

Yeah, I believe that's what it was called. Sorry, only owned one briefly. You could could repeat a small section of music at a time and adjust the length and pitch of the snippet.

>I troll on the internet to relieve stress

youtube.com/watch?v=omOcAFxAQJo

I like the same sound made at the end of this at 7:40 onwards but with a different synth/patch/whatever. Random LFO set to pitch? on a sine wave with like, the filter set right and a ramp wave.

a professor who used to have a 303 and all sorts of shit is teaching me analog synthesis for free atm. It's awesome. Very passionate guy. Was telling me about a moog demonstration where they took speakers and and blew down a brick wall with a synth. He said they used a square wave, cause they have the most punch naturally ya know?

I mean. A ramp wave, there's no sine wave slider on the synth I'm learning on but somehow the guy says was talking about a pure sine wave on it and how the synth naturally creates a harmonic series and all sorts of weird shit. He also tried to show me a filter sweep and I sort of get it.

>progression doesn't work for me, you're clipping a fuck ton, and bass comes in too early and is too loud

Thanks for a reply, although I don't agree with you at all, except the clipping but I think that's a problem with export, will look into it.

I mean he said the bricks weren't like cemented together but the wall of speakers blew down the wall. Can't find anything online about it, but it's an interesting story.

sounds like a random lfo modulating the pitch and also acting as a gate triggering the filter/amp envelopes

How much can I do with a 20 year old acoustic guitar, a Casio CTK 2090, a phone for a microphone, a pirated version of Fl Studio, a pretty good understanding of music reading, and some imagination?

Is this too edgy?

clyp.it/faqyro33

People have made albums with less

Fuck me, I don't think I'll be able to cope with the feeling that people don't find my music good and interesting any longer. A true struggle desu. Especially when you don't know what you are doing "wrong".

And then people here say all the time:: "make something you enjoy listening to", well fuck me, what's the point in that if I am the only one who enjoys it.

as long as you can write good music ou can make music with whatever instrument you can find

Do you still enjoy listening to it ~1 year later?

The easiest way to be honest is to use a 404 or 555 as a external effects unit for ableton. The only other way is to use beat repeat, but I wouldn't know what the settings are to match the 404 or 555.

was the filter sweep made out of flesh?

Some of them I do, I guess, hard to tell because I've been doing this for like 2 years though.

Btw I don't think this place is good for giving feedback on the actual composition since many people here don't have much knowledge of theory and are stuck to specific genres, and then on the other hand, /comp/ is not great for that either, since they don't know much about pop music. I've been posting clyps here since the beginning and not even once have I got an actual feedback on composition and a song structure, just anons bashing my bad mix while the piece wasn't even at that stage yet, despite me mentioning that fact.

Guys, can anybody else please tell me what's wrong with my chord progression? That other user made me doubt it but I don't know, I think it is pretty good and I like it. It may be a bit weird for some people because it is written in dorian mode but idk.

Don't make me drop yet another wip again.....

clyp.it/5wvsdnre

ahahha dudes dale fidelity fezec kyvbvy trill fennec rat maze tanaka shidoshi red master toddel

what is everyones favorite swing settings?

I have a 404, volca sample, and thinking about getting an MPC1000 or something better. I'm working on this side noise/punk/industrial project and want to hook up a midi footpedal to trigger, or have someone else trigger, drum loops or samples while playing and shit. Anybody have experience with this? Thinking about getting this BOSS FCB1010 pedal and hooking it up via a Kenton MIDI USB Host or direct midi. Are there better pedals? Could use some adv for this.

Post something.

how does one create "atmosphere"

I'm not very good with composition, but to me some of the background notes are "unexpected", in a bad way.

Weird bass notes at:
0:16
0:27
0:37

I guess they don't sound harmonious with the guitar to me.

Big reverby sounds. Delays. Field recordings.

What genre?

pad presets

clyp.it/evreljtp

recorded this with my guitars and recorder (the instrument). ambient / idk

is it okay?

just when music is desribed as having a thick atmosphere. Is it the looming wall of noise in the background or do things like the main melody contribute to atmosphere

So have the Bloody Beetroots and Boys Noize with Sylenth

They can both contribute to the atmosphere. It depends on the style of music. But the wall of noise is an easy way to get atmosphere going almost instantly.

Also on drum machines, what other drum machines could I deliver a whole set from? Need a drum machine that can sequence minimum 32+ steps per pattern. For now I can only think of the MPC 1000 and the Octatrack.
The MPC 1000 is more affordable right now.

What other drum machines do you /prod/ use that can accomplish this???

The sound that comes in at 2:13 could be more "melancholic" sounding I think. It goes down on the first half, and up on the second half. I think it would sound better if it went down on the second half too, but maybe change the starting note to the highest note of the "upward" version... If that makes sense.

The end is very serene. I love it!

Analog Rytm

>Btw I don't think this place is good for giving feedback on the actual composition since many people here don't have much knowledge of theory and are stuck to specific genres

Do you really think music is some sort of paint by numbers thing where the more theory you learn the better your music is? Do you actually know music theory?

I totally get what you're saying, user. unfortunately, this was recorded to tape, lol. I don't think I can go back and edit it.

>not making music for yourself

Post a sample of your stuff. People have said I have shit taste in music, maybe I'll like it.

>not offsetting every note manualy
Are you not autistic?

I pirated Abelton but I ended up buying later

clyp.it/wvezmf2j

>clyp.it/fujg5wza
Beginning sounds like ode to joy lel

clyp.it/z0qqbrngc
Critic me plz Cred Forums.
not sure what genre this is.

wrong url oops clyp.it/z0qqbrng

>the 'bland' remix clyp is almost 2k plays on SC lol
>2k plays on SC
>thinks soundcloud plays = actual success
>thinks soundcloud plays correlates to song quality
Even if it did matter... you realize 60% of those are bots anyway right?

>Salty fag doesn't post clyp
it just keeps getting better

>/prod/ shitposter doesn't post clypit
>keeps shitposting

>it sounds weird but I wrote it like that so its ok :^))

It sounds weird.

Maybe for you, not for me. Explain why it sounds weird, at least help me instead of memeing.

Some of the chords are not tonal as noted in It's fine if you really want it written in a non standard mode.

well, it definitely didn't make your musical ability better

>may be a bit weird for some people because it is written in dorian mode

Fuck, how can I give my songs more character?

By not being a fag

Sample Seinfeld quotes :^d

Opinions on the Microkorg? I just bought one and am thinking maybe I should have gone with a Microkorg XL(+). It's cool and all, but I'm thinking the sounds might be too retro, though I heard Deathgrips uses it.

I would tell you to listen to old jazz and classical music but 1) youre lazily looking for a sample and wouldnt know shit about anything. 2) sampling is a god damn sin and you should kill yourself if you steal a peice of real music and loop it 128 bars while a nigger speaks gibbrish on top.

tldr, get educated and you'll find something. start with thelonius monk because he's a retarded nigger, just like you probably are.

>sampling is a god damn sin and you should kill yourself if you steal a peice of real music and loop it 128 bars while a nigger speaks gibbrish on top

How come when I insert a midi clip in arrangement view in ableton it's just blank and doesn't let me record sound into it?

>memer frank pic
>triggered by sampling is for hacks
>probably makes "comfy lo-fi chill wave boom bap" ""music""

because its a MIDI clip?

No I figured it out,I have to play the notes into the editor.

youtu.be/bfvJAcou96s

Where can I buy high quality samples? Anyone have any ideas?

Really?
It's current year and people still shit on sample music? All art is copying you androgynous fucking blob.
>I pluck strings on a geetar even though every single combination of notes I've ever played has already been done far better by someone else. All you faggots want to do is take existing art and re-purpose and mold it into new, usually better, art. How lazy!

>listen to old jazz and classical music
give up the joke already. You wouldn't know a good sample if it smacked you across the cheek

>buy high quality samples

im not a poor fag and therefore don't need to pirate sample packs. I want so good classic prog house and other edm samples. whats so hard to understand?

>classic prog house and other edm samples

sampling is theft. its against the law.

fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_and_music_sampling

It's not even really retro. It exist in this weird limbo of 2000s wannabe retro. It's dated as it only has 4 voices for a digital synth.

Is there an interactive tutorial for learning ableton? I've read the manual and watched 7 hour long videos and still have no fucking idea what I'm doing.

I mean I know how to get around and stuff but I legit have no clue how to go about things.

>wikipedia article
>trying so damn hard to dodge the original argument
All music is some form of copying and stealing. There's no way around it

Please help! I'm itching to make music and it's killing me!

If you've read the manual and watched some videos (Tom Cosm introduction to ableton live vimeo.com/3984949) and are no further down the road you're probably getting hung up on something really simple - what else have you done to begin with, have you used other DAWS or MIDI sequencers, used hardware multi-track recorders? Do you play an instrument?

y0 I just pirated omnisphere how is my trap song working out so far

dont worry about the mixing yet I will do that once I finished.

clyp.it/egpu1wl1

I want to take it out for another 34 bars or so, how do i do it without making it bland?

EDIT: the gate midway through made me hurl I took that out already

clyp.it/xu5cyh4v

pls help

Drums are too low bring them up

>how to get triggered by a simple question and prove to everyone how stupid you are in one simple post

sampling isn't covered under fair use. it's against the law.

clyp.it/3nh0j5nl
I've finally become justice.
I'm actually going to cry from joy right now

what do you guys think? does it feel a bit empty to you?

Not the other guy, but all great art must transcend any sort of social constraints, like "the law." The old must be destroyed so that it can be rebuilt into something new and original. I pity you if you look down on people who sample, while you go off and pretend your 4/4 bar chords on a guitar are so creative.

clyp.it/cy4ofk2m

what do you guys think? I finished and did some rough mixing.

Thanks user I'll watch that, I was actually hung up on some simple things and still kinda am.

I play a bit of piano

>tfw you graduate from "Cred Forums unknown soundcloud thread spamming 25 followers" tier to "token soundcloud meme weblabel with 1000 follows 1500 following" tier
VSTs for this feel

Time to learn a real instrument faggo

is mayonais an intrument

We're can I find a shitton of kontakt library torrents?

>thousands of dollars of gear
>cheapest headphones and monitors possible

i hate seeing that shit in battle station pictures

or with monitors in corners/next to a wall with plenty of space these fuckers

who the fuck actually says that lol

ableton's sampler is pretty good withouth that shitty interface though

not in those words, but whenever someone mentions sound design around here the conversation goes to synthesis, or they'll ask about how to get better at sound design and people will only link things related to synthesis

I usually point to Ben Burt, but this is like the worst place to discuss sound design.

Also, how would /prod/ go about field recording in an apartment, I can hear the people below my living room having sex?

Not that I need tips, just a thought exercise.

If I just want to connect my guitar (electric) to my computer for easy mixing and editing using a virtual amp program, this is what I should buy right?

google/people in general giving me conflicting answers. just a simple pre-amp that takes signal from a guitar and outputs to USB or something should work right? need advice, never done this before, don't want to connect the wrong things and explode or waste money on the wrong thing.

lol there's literally a picture of a guitar (electric) above the input

why cant guitarists into technology?

>a virtual amp program
I'm not saying kys or anything, but I heard Courtney Love is single and is waiting in the greenhouse.

Give me the best songs/albums/whatever that use digital drums instead of physical ones

(besides Loveless ofc)

why would you say that? If I'm going to be making virtual music is it not better to go from guitar->computer than go guitar->amp->mic->computer. sounds a lot easier to me

Serious question.
I just bought a Scarlett 2i2 and I've been trying for the past few hours to get the plug ins it comes with into ableton. It keeps saying I don't have a license for the pack that the scarlett comes with when I try to use the plug ins, but I do, and I authorized it and activated it and all that business. Has this happened to anyone else with these plug ins? I've already contacted iLok and Softube. its some fucking bs issue or something idk

Pirate Omnisphere

I start on presets often and then tweak as needed

you can get virtual amps to sound fine with tweaking.

I got a free Memory Man Tap Tempo pedal

>It's the chinese chip version

ffffffuck. Sounds dirty as fuck past the 3 o'clock position for delay time

yeh but only on hardware like juno

Try some of the N.I kontakt library's or maybe some of their Maschine expansions like grey forge

No it doesn't work as standalone (I have a Maschine studio) as it needs to be connected to a computer, no big deal for me as I have a computer in my studio and I don't really make music anywhere else.
One thing worth noting is you can operate almost all the functions of the Maschine software from using the Maschine studio. I quite often open a new project and rename it on the computer then I just turn off my monitor and I can do everything from the Maschine controller then.

clyp.it/y0dfr4kv

How complex is the production on frank ocean's blonde? I know it's simple arrangement wise but how difficult would it be to recreate the sound of his album?

I have a first gen. It's good.

I doubt you'll find someone here that has experience with both, but good luck.

I can imagine them being very simular to each other

thanks man

Oh boi there sure is a lot of memeing and shitposting in this thread. :^(

thread is dead anyway

clyp.it/cml3mfmr

posted an earlier version of this track a few days ago, it's one of my first song writing forays so i was wondering if anyone could give some advice. thanks y'all

No problem. There's a lot of techno style packs. If you have Maschine then all the better as they use pressers for massive and Monark

you have background noise present, maybe cut it at the top end

Wavealchemy is also pretty good. They have a really nice 808/909 sample pack/Kontact instrument transistor revolution that has over 4000 sampled 808 & 909 sounds

your song writing seems to be similar to Justice, but that bass guitar isn't very good/Justice

>getting stressed out even when composing/producing because I'm afraid nobody will like it as much as me and wondering if my mental health is becoming damaged

Music for this feel?

Was working on this last night, do you think it's nice or was I just very, very high?

clyp.it/1p50bl1b

i'm high, it's nice

Good good, I don't make music for sober people anyway.

Thanks, when I moved the bass to the octave higher and turned up the volume I noticed it too, probably deaf. I think it's good now, don't mind the bad mix, I haven't done it yet.

clyp.it/uku51ycb

This one has a shit monitor inputs doesn't it?
Buy the 2i2 desu

that s pretty gud. im not a fan of of the piano slides and you probably should touch up the drums, they seem off to me.

>clyp.it/retzbjjw
made this tonight, what do anyone think?

i like the sound, desu its not super original but thats my problem

sounds really good to me

a joke? the piano editing is great but that synth and jingle bells xd wtf. r u serious? am i a fish?

>tfw can't decide between Korg Volca Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample and FM

Apparently /comp/ is dead.
What do you guys think about this 40seconds piece for string quartet?
vocaroo.com/i/s0m1dpgIKxGJ

Any minus the beats, as you can just sample the beats in the sample

Avalon Bassline

that percussion is quite nice. maybe start bringing more percussive bits in throughout the track
I like, a lot of unique sounds and stuff going on. maybe more high end on the bass? idk

-

clyp.it/kxpts3tq

how is the mix?

>clyp.it/kxpts3tq
mix is pretty tight. like the filtering

bump