Most significant and influential artists of each decade

60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd
80s - Michael Jackson
90s - Nirvana
00s - Eminem
10s - Kanye West

You can go ahead and try to refute this if you like, but you know it to be true.

10s - Halestorm
00s - Amon Amarth
90s - Rage against the Machine
80s - Anthrax
70s - Motorhead
60s - BEatles

60s - Velvet Underground
70s - Can
80s - Swans
90s - Slint
00s - Radiohead
10s - Kendrick Lamar

how is kanye influential?

>Swans
>Slint
>Kendrick Lamar
wew

60s - Velvet Underground
70s - Joy Division
80s - Sonic Youth
90s - Radiohead
00s - Radiohead again
10s - Kanye West

Kanye is one of the best-selling musicians of all time, he pushed hip hop into new territories, hip hop's mainstream appeal of the past decade is partly due to him. He pretty much defined mainstream hip hop.

60s - The Beatles
70s - David Bowie
80s - Pixies
90s - Radiohead
00s - Kanye West
10s - Drake? Unsure about this one.

>halestorm
Literally who

60s - Beatles
70s - Bowie
80s - Michael Jackson
90s - Nirvana
00s - Radiohead
10s - Kanye West

oh

I only disagree with Eminem 00s
would have said Radiohead
though Eminem was significant and influential, just not the most

You seem to be lost, this isn't reddit

50s - Chuck Berry
60s - The Beatles
70s - Led Zeppelin
80s - Michael Jackson
90s - Tupac
00s - Eminem
10s - Taylor Swift

what is your list?

influential =/= succesfull

Better than yours
Hello /r/music!

i never made a list. also the reason why these artists are being listed is because influential artists are being discussed you worthless shit person

If you aren't successful then you aren't able to influence a lot of people or have any kind of significance on the musical landscape.
>Hello /r/music!
I don't know what that is, maybe you should go to reddit or something.

Do you seriously not think that those artists are significant or influential?

this one is good
and yeah it might literally turn out to be drake

Most influential:
Radiohead
Sabbath
Kraftwerk
Bauhaus
Bowie
Beatles
James Brown

60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd
80s - Michael Jackson
90s - Tupac
00s - Eminem
10s - Kanye West

i will not make a list with ppl so dumb...
50's Sinatra
60's Sinatra
70's Grateful dead
80's Grateful dead
90's Grateful dead
00's Emiem
10's Any Disney "Star"

40s - Louis Armstrong
50s - Duke Ellington
60s - Miles Davis
70s - James Brown
80s - Lee ''Scratch'' Perry
90s - The Prodigy/Aphex Twin
00s - Skream
10s -

>The Beatles
Most influential popular music act ever
>David Bowie
Not really, influenced a handful of artists, he was mostly influenced by artists.
>Pixies
Had some influence on alternative rock for a few years
>Radiohead
Influenced some British soft rock shit in the late 90's - early 00's
>Kanye West
Influenced a lot of meme content on Asian imageboards
>Drake
Started a fashion fad, made one meme song with very little staying power

This isn't name your favourite bands from each decade. It's most influential. You have to be an actual retard to think the velvet underground were more influential than the beatles. If that Swan was influential.

Just type Kanye for the 10s. It's pretty obvious he gets the title on this decade.

>1910
>music started

nah biber is way more influential

Maybe in America, the rest of us in the world don't give a fuck about your shitty white guilt pop-rap.

40s is Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie
Armstrong was more influential in the 30s even 20s

BTFO

Nat King Cole let Armstrong suck his cock between sets..

I guess, also depends when you define the influence was made or played.

I agree with you, OP, on all of them but the 70s. As much as I love Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin was much more influential and significant.

Good job recognizing the other decades, though.

60s - Beatles
70s - Zappa
80s - Tom Waits
90s - Pavement
00s - Radiohead
10s - in progress

how the fuck was pavement influential

their influence is concrete

Name one meme rapper that jacked Kanye's sound.

I grew up in a middle european country and when I was younger my peers used to listen to Kanye's music all the time. Even now, having been to uni in the UK, I've seen the most normiest people possible bump his music many times.

>Zappa
literally no one but Primus was influenced by that guy
>Tom Waits
literally no one was influenced by him. MAYBE Nick Cave, big maybe.
>Pavement
Just a bunch of literally who indie bands
>Radiohead
Who? Muse? Coldplay? c'mon.

Oh and Aphex Twin. Not really sure why everyone is doing this based on decade. These artists had the biggest impact on genre innovation and artists coming after them

their hard as fuck

>Tom Waits
>literally no one was influenced by him

holy moley

Kanye sucks a bag of dicks he has always sucked a bag of dicks

>no body but Primus was influenced by this guy
Is this a meme?

>Many musicians, bands and orchestras from diverse genres have been influenced by Zappa's music. Rock artists like Alice Cooper,[234] Larry LaLonde of Primus,[235] Fee Waybill of the Tubes[236] all cite Zappa's influence, as do progressive, alternative and experimental rock artists like Can,[nb 14] Pere Ubu,[nb 15] Henry Cow,[237] Trey Anastasio of Phish,[232] Jeff Buckley,[238] Faust,[239] John Frusciante,[240] and Steven Wilson.[241] Paul McCartney regarded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the Beatles' Freak Out!,[242] Jimi Hendrix,[243] and heavy rock and metal acts like Black Sabbath,[244] Simon Phillips,[245] Mike Portnoy,[246] Warren DeMartini,[247] Steve Vai,[248] Strapping Young Lad,[249] System of a Down,[250] and Clawfinger[251] acknowledge Zappa's inspiration. On the classical music scene, Tomas Ulrich,[252] Meridian Arts Ensemble,[253] Ensemble Ambrosius[254] and the Fireworks Ensemble[255] regularly perform Zappa's compositions and quote his influence. Contemporary jazz musicians and composers Bill Frisell[256] and John Zorn[257] are inspired by Zappa, as is funk legend George Clinton.[258] Other artists affected by Zappa include ambient composer Brian Eno,[259] new age pianist George Winston,[260] electronic composer Bob Gluck,[261] parodist and novelty composer "Weird Al" Yankovic,[262] industrial music pioneer Genesis P-Orridge,[263] and noise music artist Masami Akita of Merzbow.[264]

And that's just the extremely notable popular acts.

>Who Muse? Coldplay?
Radiohead was responsible for the huge wave of alt bands that started in the 2000's.

60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd
80s - The Cure
90s - Nirvana
00s - blink-182
10s - N/A

You don't need to jack someone's sound to be influenced by them.

+1 for The Cure

>blink 182

They literally influenced and kickstarted a whole genre dickhead

Bruh I'm not even a Kanye dickrider, but his influence is indisputable.

>have 310gb of music
>not one artists remotely used Kanye as an influence

There is lots of music out there thats not memerap

?????????????????
are you retarded
>Blink 182 started punk
L O L

pop-punk you close minded cocksucker

That isn't how you spell Screeching Weasel. Or Green Day.

>kanye
How can a bad meme last for so long?

blink-182 reached a larger audience with it's brand of pop-punk and took it to the next level with self titled, green day was horse shit after dookie

60s - James Brown
70s - Kraftwerk
80s - Jeff Mills
90s - Aphex Twin
10s - Burial
00s - Nina Kraviz

Nimrod is a good album desu. I like it better than Blink 182.

>blink 182
>larger audience than green day
Fool.

Costanza has lasted longer

Music wise it's Radiohead. Considering all things, it's definitely Eminem.

60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin
80s - Michael Jackson
90s - Nirvana
00s - Eminem
10s - Taylor Swift or Adele

"influence" in a general artistic sense is way too fluid to ever truly pin to anyone, and often the innovators of something only see their work bear fruit decades after the fact so naming pop acts that set the tone for music in their era is probably the sanest way to approach the question

answers like "the beatles" and "nirvana" and "sex pistols" are the right ones BECAUSE they're the "pleb" answers; they disseminated far and wide enough to be their own musical buzzwords; sure you could say "well what about zappa / pixies / richard hell" but then you can keep tracing that line backwards pretty much ad infinitum

Show me the data then pussy

Same. Kanye is unknown in my country.

60s - TVU
70s - Faust
80s - Glenn Branca
90s - Talk Talk
00s - Alva Noto
10s - Joanna Newsom

(19)00s - Arnold Shoenberg
10s - Igor Stravinsky
20s - Arnold Schoenberg
30s - Duke Ellington
40s - Olivier Messiaen
50s - Ornette Coleman
60s - AMM
70s - Steve Reich
80s - Pierre Boulez
90s - John Zorn
00s - Merzbow
10s - Ramona Andra Xavier (?)

No rapper (except eminem) had global influence.

1900s - George M. Cohen (Biggest name on Broadway, loads of hits, Give My Regards to Broadway)
10s - Igor Stravinsky (Firebird and Rite of Spring. Then end of classical music's running course as it made way for the already popular jazz and ragtime.)
20s - George Gershwin (Most renowned American songwriter of all time, Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris, 'S Wonderful, mixed jazz with classical)
30s - Duke Ellington (Biggest jazz musician and composer of all time, brought on waves of big bands and jazz subgenres like swing into the coming decades)
40s - Unclear. Jazz was dealt a heavy blow with the war and magnetic recording focused almost all public attention to singers like Bing Crosby (who popularized the technology) and Frank Sinatra, the two most favored American voices of the early 20th century and obvious favorites of the older generation in the next decade.
50s - Unclear. Elvis was rock & roll's biggest single star of all time, but in terms of specificness it would be Buddy Holly, Little Richard, or Chuck Berry. Most Likely Elvis or Chuck.
60s - The Beatles (Record holders for most sold, literally everyone has heard/been influenced by them whether they like it or not)
70s - Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Equally influential in terms of largest albums and fan buildup of the decade
80s - Michael Jackson (Thriller is the best selling album of all time. Every current pop singer wishes they could be him.)
90s - Nirvana (Gave rock one last golden age, made punk popular, brought mainstream attention to the underground, despite other genres like hip hop and electronics slowly coming to fold)
2000s - Unclear between Radiohead, Eminem, and Jay Z. The years where hip hop had it's biggest growth in popularity but electronics and indie being close seconds. Probaby Eminem.
2010s - Unclear between Kanye and Drake I guess. This decade is more of a development of the 2000s with hip hop and electronics becoming more in focus and diverge further in terms of art & pop.

Actually for 40s you could say Rodgers and Hammerstein, one of the biggest songwriting duos of all time and destroyed the West End with Broadway until Andrew Lloyd Webber

>The Cure
more like The GOAT

popularity =/= influence

Yes it does, there's an obvious correlation. If something is popular, more people will be exposed to it, ergo more will be influenced by it. The Beatles are probably the most influential thing that will ever happen to the music industry, and society, no matter how much Cred Forums shits on them. Their music (atleast some of it) is actually good, regardless of whether or not you actually enjoy it, although it doubt anyone here would easily admit it.

I'd love to say John Coltrane was more influential than Lennon-McCartney or Can was more influential than Pink Floyd or My Bloody Valentine was more influential than Nirvana but it isn't true. They reached more people and had more of a societal effect in general (maybe not even in the long term but from what we can tell today).

Oh God
oh, God?
god...
..God?..
00s onward is shit.

The scary thing is Taylor Swift may be one of the most influential acts of this decade

>"don't feed the troll"

>Nirvana (Gave rock one last golden age, made punk popular)

WTF blink made punk popular shithead

80s - The Cure

Anything else is wrong

You're meming right? The band didn't even start until a year after Nevermind came out. By juxtaposition I'd say they were in some way influenced by Nirvana or their popularity.

Fine then, i'll compromise

NOFX made punk popular

This is an awful thread

but they were more influential to the people who took the genres forward

>Nirvana

Significant? yes

Influential? Eh not really. They only had 1 album the general public gave a fuck about, and the bands they influenced were/are all terrible and quickly forgotten.

They're certainly not on the level of MJ or The Beatles. MJ influenced literally every single popstar and R&B star that came after him, and the same goes for The Beatles and rock bands.

You mean they're not on the level of The Cure right?

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

60s - The Beatles
70s - Pink Floyd
80s - Merzbow
90s - Merzbow
00s - Merzbow
10s - Merzbow

You can go ahead and try to refute this if you like, but you know it to be true.

Who did Radiohead influence? Who did Kanye West influence outside of hip hop?

It's a little known fact, but music actually didn't start in the 60s. Nobody born after then actually cares enough about music to listen to that ancient crap though.

>implying that Nirvana isn't the single most ripped off and copied band of that generation

Replace merzbow with The Cure

No one is one the same level of MJ and The Beatles. Can you name an artist have more influence than Nirvana after 90s?

You think that out of the blue, Ribbed brought on hoards of attention to underground rock that resonated with a generation of 90s youth? I'm not saying Nirvana is better but the attention they got is really what sprung forth so many things to be made, brought hope and opportunity to other groups.
True, but are they the most influential outside of music as well? Unlike 200 years ago, modern media allows us to remember less advanced musicians unlike all those forgotten folk bands. People in general will still remember the Beatles over Coltrane and from where music stands now, people in general aren't gonna shift towards less pop/media-driven music, so people in general will continue to endorse those that were influenced by the Beatles.
Who else from the 90s did you have in mind? They influenced Radiohead, set off a new wave that killed hair-metal, and acted as a refresh button for the popular standards of rock music.

>rock is the only genre

t. Phil A. Stein

I don't think without Nirvana Tupac and Biggie Smalls would get the attention that they did. Sure they were giants in their own right but they wouldn't have broken through the barrier and be recognized by as many people today.
Call me what you want. I love a lot more different types of music than pop and the generic big names but you can't deny influence.

>rock and rap are the only genres

>you can't deny influence
I sure can. The Beatles are a good example of a band that were heard by a lot of people but who rarely were innovators. Instead they popularised and sold to the masses the innovations of others, be it the psychedelia of the Grateful Dead or the tape music of avant-garde composers in the 50s. They I suppose had some direct influence on people, but mostly by distributing the influences on them. Now that's not limited to the Beatles of course, but I would call the pioneers of hip hop and rap far more influential than those who popularised it for instance. Your list mostly just takes account of popularity, I do happen to agree with you on Stravinsky and Ellington though, as they were more clearly experimenters and innovators, rather than those who distributed the innovations of others to the masses.

could say Pavement for 1990s. ruled the 2nd half

I'd say The Cure

Ok then. Bjork, Aphex Twin, . Were they influential? Yes. Were they more significant and influential than Nirvana of that decade? No. Do I like them? I do. Then why don't I say they're the most significant and influential artists of that decade because of their lasting influence in electronic music? Because of that decade, Nirvana has made the most impact not only in the music world but to the people of that decade and afterwards.
I agree. The Beatles were as non-innovative, generic, and trend hoppy as you can get from the 60s. However... does the Grateful Dead currently have a stronger influence on people and music today? Not really. Yeah the pioneers of hip hop were influential (despite Revolver itself pioneering the manipulation recorded sounds), but when all is said and done, the Beatles had a greater impact not for what they did for music or what they invented but because they generally had a greater impact on a greater amount of people in that decade as well as the 70s... and the 80s, and 90s, and after. Hell I'd say the fucking Beastie Boys were more influential than the first hip hop artists. What I'm saying is it's not about who did it first or who made the best stuff, or who pushed themselves the hardest, it's about who was the most influential and sadly that tends to revolve around good and bad popular music.

Agree with 70's being a tie
80's imo is Michael Jackson or Metallica
10's are still in progress, hard to say really

The fact that so many post ITT still name the Beatles as one of the greatest or most significant or most influential rock bands ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art.

Who ever said it was supposed to be? What defines serious art from other forms of art?

>outside of hip hop
Kanye is a large contributor in creating what is today popular music.

It's bait my friend.

Dude no teen girl was caught wearing grrenday shirts. every scene and normie girl thinking she knew music wore that shitty nirvana smiley or that blink logo.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

New Order was more influential than The Cure especially when it comes to modern dance and pop

still fishing?

>60s: Velvet Underground
>70s: David Bowie
>80s: Michael Jackson
>90s: NIrvana
>00s: Lil Wayne
>10s: Hard to call as of yet because we are still living through it but I'd probably go either Kanye or Death Grips

50's Elvis Presley
60's Bob Dylan
70's David Bowie
80's Michael Jackson
90's Kurt Cobain
00's Kanye West
10's

>all these plebs whose scope of music is rock and rap

50s: Elvis (Not many people sounded like Chuck Berry but there were loads of bands doing Elvis type stuff)
60s: Rolling Stones (Beatles slightly more important, Stones birthed way more bands and more popular bands drew from the Stones than the Beatles)
70s: Led Zeppelin (gave rise to big grandiose, pretentious larger than life rock, helped to birth prog)
80s: AC/DC (?) Back in Black...so many hardrock bands in the 80s on the radio that tried to be AC/DC.
90s: Probably Pearl Jam, gave birth to Buttrock that plagued music 1995-2000
00s: have no idea
10s: have no idea

>He pretty much defined mainstream hip hop.
You're giving him too much credit.

rock is popular music
its entertainment
its a cultural force

people that listen to jazz are faggots
critics are faggots and their opinion is worth far less more than saying something is more important because more people liked it and bought it

>00's Kanye West
This. I wouldn't put West for the 10s. He was definitely more groundbreaking than Eminem in his prime.

>led zeppelin helped to birth prog

yeah rightt

Not who you replied to; I hate Kanye but he's not giving him too much credit at all. Mainstream hip hop of the late 00's onward has been more or less the wake of the trends he has set.

Explain. Go in-depth too.

50's - Elvis Presley
60's - The Beatles
70's - Pink Floyd
80's - AC DC
90's - Nirvana
00's - Radiohead
10's - Unfortunately Kanye

This is the only correct answer

90s were Aphex Twin you dumb retards

Kanye influenced more artists. Eminem influenced more people.

>80's - AC DC
Why?

60s Beatles
70s black sabbath
80s devo
90s poopstain
2000s Britney Spears
10 pop beat country digs

>Most significant and influential artists
people who claim that there are single most influential artists from any decade are completely retarded. it's impossible to attribute such a period of time to ONE artist. maybe i would agree with OP if it was year by year, but by decade is retarded and will never work.

>Radiohead was responsible for the huge wave of alt bands that started in the 2000's.

eh, I'd blame the strokes (and friends) more desu

10s - Lil B

Yeah because it's not like the entirety of punk and noise rock were inspired by the Velvets

You really making the argument that because you don't have any music influenced by Kanye West (which I doubt, but still perfectly possible) that means he is not influential? What are you, God?

>You have to be an actual retard to think the velvet underground were more influential than the beatles
you have to be an actual retard to get all of your opinions from rollingstone fampai

t. 9gag user

>80s - ACDC

The only influential ACDC is Bon Scott ACDC, which was the 70s.

In the 80s and beyond they were as generic and mediocre as hard rock bands come.

>quick let me check Scruffi.com for some facts!

lol okay I'm gonna do this right.

60s-The Velvet Underground, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan
70s-Brian Eno, Black Sabbath, Joy Division
80s-The Smiths, Pixies, Sonic Youth
90s-Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Wu-Tang Clan
2000s-Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Animal Collective
2010s-Death Grips, Kendrick Lamar

Im not 100% on this but it seems pretty accurate.

1960: Bob Dylan
1970: The Stooges or Kraftwerk
1980: N.W.A
1990: Nirvana
2000: Eminem

>>Drake
>Started a fashion fad, made one meme song with very little staying power
Drake has made more than 1 song, familia

>because i think that the velvet underground are more important than the beatles to rock music i am a scaruffidrone
don't get me wrong, sgt pepper is probably the 5th or so best album of all time, but this is my top 36
if anything i am a p4k drone

>dae led zeppelin is bad

bon iver?

>implying any rapper in the 00s was more influential than lil wayne.
this is probably the best one in this thread, but if you're gonna make an argument between most influential of the 00s it's between weezy and radiohead. strange pairing but true.

>145 replies
>only 1 person has mentioned the sex pistols

fucking 13 yr olds m8

the 70s were a magical time, I'd say an event split between led zepplin and pink floyd is a fair assessment of the period.

For the second half of the 20th to the 21st century it has been pretty much rock rap pop and jazz. I suppose I really shoulda put Steve Reich though.

I still think mine has been the most accurate so far.

Pearl jam was not on the same level as nirvana.

>60s - The Beatles
>70s - Pink Floyd
>80s - Michael Jackson
>90s - Nirvana
>00s - Kanye West
>10s - Kendrick Lamar

FTFY

We all know it is going to be Kendrick at the end of this decade, right? Like... He may have risen to complete and total fame halfway through the decade, but everyone is going to see his success and try to copy it. Everyone and their mothers are going to try and be "conscious".

>>implying any rapper in the 00s was more influential than lil wayne.
Who else but Kanye influenced him you fucking idiot?

PS; ANYONE THAT DONT PUT A POST-GRUNGE BAND IN 00S DONT KNOW THE DEFINITION OF INFLUENTIAL OR INFLUENCE PEOPLE

The amount of people that decided to have a post-grunge bands because of mainstream post-grunge bands is extreme

If you ask any artist or regular person to name some important artists from each decade, you'll find that the ones listed are the most common in all their answers. Why? Because they were most significant and influential.

How many post-grunge songs are played on the normies radio stations comapred to auto-tuned artists like Chris Brown, Kanye, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Baby Bash. Or rappers like Em? Pop artists like early Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc?

Post-grunge had no ground to walk on in the 00's in terms of mainstream influence.

>the 75th best hard rock band and a band that should have disintegrated after syd barret became a vegetable

yeah no

>fast talking nignogs

but is it art

60s- Eddie Cochran
70s- Deep Purple
80s- Bowie
90s- Phish
00s- Kanye
10s- Death Grips

week beet

Kanye has more reach and is doing more than Kendrick desu. I love Kendrick way more than Kanye, but Kanye just hits all the tick marks for being a huge figure of the decade. He's had great, successful albums, he's had the controversy, he has the strange personality and he's changed mainstream hip hop. And the fact that Kanye has maintained his public image for so long is amazing.

miles davis

>but is it art
What part about political poetry commenting on the social state of a race isn't artistic? Let alone over a musical beat, melody, etc.
If rap isn't art, than literature isn't, and neither is any music that isn't "le classical".

>How many post-grunge songs are played on the normies radio stations comapred to auto-tuned artists like Chris Brown, Kanye, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Baby Bash.
Learn about the definition of influencing, nigga.

The amount of post-grunge bands formed at 00s by kids that saw post-grunge or "emo" (post-grunge bands tv called emo), is super ultra mega huge.

Other guys with higher fame didnt influenced this amount of people.

50s - Elvis Presley
60s - The Beatles
70s - The Beatles
80s - Aerosmith
90s - Nirvana
00s - Nickelback
10s - Skrillex

I am not disagreeing with you, but Kanyes influence on music has slowed down quite a bit at the end of the 00's. He had traction in the early 10's but thus far, there are other artists that are taking the spotlight that are having more success than Kanye is.
How much is TPAB talked about, especially now with all the riots happening? Compare than to TLOP. Both decent-great albums. However, one is more topically viable, and that one is going to influence other artists to speak up about social issues within our environment.

Ops one mistake.
Fixing the list
50s - Elvis Presley
60s - The Beatles
70s - The Beatles
80s - Aerosmith
90s - Run DMC
00s - Nickelback
10s - Skrillex

>social commentary

I'm waiting for the first black to step out and comment on how rap music has been turned into titilation for the suburban (white) middle class, but they seem preoccupied with their victim complex and >muh dick

Coupled with that, what do kendrick and kanye have on wu-tang and public enemy? Nothing.

And music and art are two different things anyway, I just said that cos it's a meme sentence.

F I R S T
L E T T E R
O F
E A C H
L I N E

There is a direct correlation on popularity and influence. Artists in the 00's saw popularity as a measure of cash-money. And took that opportunity.

Example:
Rap used to be political. (NWA, Public Enemy, NAS, Pac, Biggie, etc.)
But in the 00's rap became all about parties, bitches, lean, drugs money and booze. That is the type of stuff that was on the mainstream radios, that is what was influencing other artists, because in the 00's popularity = money.
I am not disagreeing with you, post-grundge was ripe in the 00's, but the shear number of unpopular bands doing it doesn't mean it influenced popular artists to take up the style.

80s is Madonna

80's is either Smiths (aka the first indie band) or Jamc (unique sound and insanely influential)

madonna is entertainment for normies

Purely in terms of metal:

70s: Black Sabbath
80s: Death (or maybe Sepultura since they had a broader influence)
90s: Mayhem
00s: Portal/maybe DsO for a) solidifying that black and death metal can be combined seamlessly and b) bringing true dissonance into metal
10s: maybe NAILS for ushering in a huge new wave of punk-metal crossover acts, which has even influenced the sound of pure metal bands

the 10s decade isn't finished yet its a bit retarded to declare kayne west (who is ok but clearly not great) the most influencial

Most influential, not necessarily most popular:

50s - Buddy Holly
60s - The Beatles
70s - Ramones/Pistols
80s - Joy Division/New Order
90s - Nirvana
00s - Kanye West
10s - Lil Ugly Mane

We have just four years for an artist to top kanye's success and appeal. No one's as interesting or has had as much influence so far. And that four years will blow by quick.

The reason he has maintained his public image is his wife and those dramas.

Based on my reading and listening, here's my best attempt at a short list of the most influential pop/rock artists of each decade. I will be barring my own preferences. I think we need to really clarify that we are talking about INFLUENCE, and not just artistic quality. I love the Rolling Stones, but they were a band which were more an amalgamation of inspired artists, rather than a source of inspiration and originality.

50s - Chuck Berry. I think he laid the foundation for rock and roll guitar and voice, as well as songwriting.

60s - Bob Dylan (the other two contenders are the Beatles or the VU, both of which are totally arguable answers; there are probably others)

70s - The Stooges. This is hard one, but I think their sound paved the way for punk in such a strong way that allowed for the first wave of punk in the U.K. and U.S. in '76, all the way into hardcore in the 80s and 90s and beyond.

80s - Sonic Youth. I think their sound bridged the gap between early punk, no wave, and the alternative rock boom of the 90s.

90s - Nirvana. I argue that Nirvana was so influential because the were able to commercialize "alternative" rock (or perhaps it was the other way around) and thus changed what audiences expected rock music to sound like.

Past this point. I think it's too early to tell which 00s artists' influence will remain. I'm sure we will know soon enough.

If I missed an artist, I probably just forgot about them. This is a hard question.

I want to hope man

Almost fell for it, good job user

LMAO Adele, Beyonce and Taylor Swift are all more successful and influential than Kanye West this decade.

not necessarily. if you ask the average person about what they think the most influential artist of any time period/genre or whatever they are only going to say artists that were POPULAR. ie, the beatles, pink floyd, etc. ex. if you ask someone the most important prog rock album, MOST average people are going to say DSOTM despite there being plenty of more influential/important prog albums, even in floyd's discography

Adele is for white menopausal mothers and Taylor Swift's audience is comprised of young girls who won't contribute anything artistically in the future and gay dudes who also won't contribute anything artistically in the future. Plus she's one foot out the door in the public eye already. All the break ups she has won't give her publicity like it used to. People will just stop caring and move on to the next pretty face that has a shit ton of writers and producers making the music for her.

>blink-182
>punk
please for the love of god let this be bait

This thread is for most significant and influential artists. The fact that normies will name these artists that had both artistic merit and mainstream appeal gives them the title for significant and influential. They influenced the most because of their popularity and reach, and they are significant because of their household names.

Go cry about how you wish it was the 90's still you fucking faggot.

First, let's define "most influential."

To me, "most influential" means "contributed the most novel things to music that have since become normalized, popular, and commercially successful on the largest scale."

50's - Chuck Berry
60's - The Beatles
70's - Stevie Wonder
80's - Prince
90's - Dr. Dre
00's - Kanye West
10's - Future

I agree.

still more successful
21 alone outsold Kanye's discography

success is an element of influence, but it's not the whole thing

how has she changed pop music?

Kanye west popularized:

1) pitched-up soul samples as the basis for a rap song
2) human voice and autotune as the primary instruments in a song
3) deliberately fucking up your flow when rapping to emphasize a line
4) string sections in rap
5) progressive rap

Success doesn't totally correlate with influence or significance. In a couple of decades who will be more remembered and revered? Adele when all of her audience is decrepit, or Kanye west who did interesting things in hip hop when he was at his utmost height?

>popularized
*plagiarized

All those techniques (excluding "progressive rap," which doesn't even mean anything) existed and were popular before Kanye got to them.

Not sure about your exact selection, but I think it goes in the right direction. If your style is almost subconsciously replicated in mainstream music for years, you're probably a good contender for the title.

60s-90s is correct.

00s and 10s is difficult. As far as non-rap/hip-hop goes, Radiohead has to be the 00s, and the 10s isn't even over yet.

Elvis, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, etc are more remembered than their peers because they are the most successful in their generation.

>'40's
psh I dunno. hank williams, louis armstrong?
>50's
Little Richard
>60's
Beatles
>70's
Ramones or Bowie
>80's
Jackson
>90's
Nirvana
no idea for the last two

60- Coltrane
70- Miles Davis or Bowie
80- Michael Jackson
90- Biggie
00- Eminem?
10- Death Gripsu

60s - The Beatles
70s - Cheap Trick
80s - R.E.M.
90s - Nirvana
00s - The Strokes
10s - no stand out yet

>every situation is exactly the same
ITCOTCK is infinitely more influential than DSOTM but most normies will not name it

60s - Beatles
70s - PF
80s - Metallica (even though I hate them)
90s - Nirvana
00s - System Of A Down
10s - Death Grips

kanye was far more influential in the 00s than he is in the 10s. i'd say the 10s goes to drake, like him or not.

Actually 00's should be tool, don't know what I was thinking.

10s - Max Martin

And rap sucks, kys

50's Chuck Berry, little richard
60's Beach Boys, The Beatles
70's The Beatles, King Crimson
80's Madonna, Prince, The smiths
90's Afrika bambakta, Nirvana, Wu tang
2000's Nirvana, Michael Jackson, Black eyed Peas
2010's Max Martin, Outkast/M.I.A., DJ Screw
2020's Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, Timbaland

Correcring....
* 2020's Rihanna, MJ, Timbaland

top overrall

1. Afrika bambakta
2. Kraftwerk
3. Stockhausen
3. Quincy Jones
3. George Martin
4. Miles Davis
5. Nirvana

>that random stockhausen shoutout right after implying rihanna is more influential to modern music than michael jackson
lmao this nigga

I love death grips, but come on man.