Is there a worse genre than prog rock?

Is there a worse genre than prog rock?

What is the appeal of this masturbatory, pretentious trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Earfbot_uI
youtube.com/watch?v=fYprIlvoJy4
youtube.com/watch?v=L7esW6StGSI
youtube.com/watch?v=hzFsDQeTUT4
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6n8-b7uk9E
youtube.com/watch?v=u9bk2MrMGaA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The same reason people like jazz

Boy, you're in for a hoot when you hear jazz for the first time

hooty boy, jazz will be a thing for you first time!

This.
Prog rock is fucking shit

God I fucking hate black people

WHOA DADDY WAIT TILL YA HEAR JAZZ

oh boy, just wait until you hear jazz for the first time

woooo boy will u holla wen yall hear u sum jazz

oooh, just wait until you hear the jazz hoot for the first time, boy

mmmmmmmmmmmm sonny, ur gunna flip yer lid wen u flick on that there jazz

Jeezy Pete's when you hear bebop for the first time you'll drop your jaw

Hi Christgau

Progressive rock serves no purpose. It's literally just the pleb version of jazz and classical.
Every intelligent rock critic hated prog in the 70s. Not just Christgau. But keep getting buttmad that your "so deep le intellectual xD" reddit-tier shit genre is not appreciated by real intellectuals.

samefag

good try

Nice shop. Notice how the filename is not a generic screenshot name and lacks a date.

I do declare that your mind is gonna be frazzled when you put some Jazz on your computer and give that stuff a little listen.

Jazz is for closet nigger lovers with the attention span of a 6 month old, Classical is where it's at.

how else am i supposed to prove it to you, faggot?

They're different genres with different intentions
Don't bother, I already know that you samefagged.

i posted my screenshot about one minute after you accused me of samefagging. how am i supposed to make a screenshot, put it into photoshop, edit it, save it, and post it here in the matter of a minute?

also, as you probably know there's a 60 second span between posts you can make. if you look at the posts you replied to you will notice most of them are less than a minute apart.

>i posted my screenshot about one minute after you accused me of samefagging. how am i supposed to make a screenshot, put it into photoshop, edit it, save it, and post it here in the matter of a minute?
lmao, it's easy as fuck.

You put it into paint, selected the blue part of the post, copied it so it covered the (You)s, and then posted it. Which can be done extremely quickly.

there's always the butt indie this board praises

i know this is bait, but can someone tell me what makes people think prog rock is "pretentious"? what makes it pretentious?

still can't be done in less than a minute.
also nice how you ignored the part of my post that proved you wrong.

Yes it can.
look at him and laugh

i just wanna know, man ;_;

you're still ignoring the part of my post that proved you wrong. are you retarded?

Probably the fact most prog bands focus on making the most "le 2deep4u" and complex music possible, and in the end, it's just boring unmemorable generic shit.
Thankfully there are some good prog bands like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, Aphrodite's Child. None of them have flawless discographies, but overall much better.
Progressive rock is a genre which killed itself by trying hard to be outstanding.

hm, i see...

>real intellectual
>hates a whole genre
>yeah let's just claim everyone daring to disagree with me is in fact one single person I'M BETTER THAN EVERYONE

Yeah dude having taste is for stupid plebs

le jazz le dominant 7 chords XD

You can't have a taste when you refuse to listen to anything in connection with XY genre
It's like saying "I don't listen to this band because the pianist is black"

in all seriousness people who hate prog rock but love jazz are image-conscious posers. most criticism of prog rock could be applied to jazz.

this except jazz isn't pretentious, neither try to be. It's only great musicians having a jam session and being good at it.
That being said, jazz and prog rock are my favorite genres.

It's not mine, but here's the best explanation I could find. By the way, I'd like if we could report this kind of threads and not get banned.
>I don't get this notion of pretension in music. As if making sounds has any inherent importance or significance. If an artist's art is "pretending" to be more important than it is, then it implies that there is some baseline importance that it truly is. If you try to look for objective importance in music, then I'm not sure there's much to go on. Objectively it's just sounds that make you feel feels, so is every work that goes on "deeper" themes than just raw emotion pretentious for it?

Using Floyd as an example, the lyrics to Piper are for the most part as unpretentious as can be, it's about gnomes and bikes and shit. But the music certainly suggests something more than raw emotions, some would say there are statements about consciousness in the music. Whether there really is isn't my point though. My point is that any defintion of pretension seems to cause a really low threshold for being pretentious, making most bands pretentious to some degree.

I personally place a pretty high importance on music and find that there aren't many pretentious artists, if any.

jazz can certainly be pretentious, and often is... and i love it. prog rock too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>pretentious as a bad thing
when will this meme die?

You're in so much denial dude lol

it exists because autistic nerds need music too

>going beyond the very simplistic conventions of rock music is masturbatory and pretentious
Now there were some fucking terrible bands, that fully embraced the "EL OH EL LOOK AT US WITH OUR 17.5/4 TIME SIGNATURE AND MOOG SYNTHS". But there were also:
youtube.com/watch?v=_Earfbot_uI
youtube.com/watch?v=fYprIlvoJy4
youtube.com/watch?v=L7esW6StGSI
youtube.com/watch?v=hzFsDQeTUT4
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6n8-b7uk9E
youtube.com/watch?v=u9bk2MrMGaA
And many more.

Don't Shit on Yes, Yes is the best.

Whoa nelly, just wait til you hear jazz, my son

>prog rock
>hard to get, pretentious
Hi, pleb kun.

Still beter than punk rock

I like a lot of the earlier stuff from the late 60s till mid 70s where they use classical music style structures and arrangements along with jazzy playing and psychedelic influences which all results in music with a very surreal atmosphere. Very cool since it took 60s psych, removed DUDE LSD LMAO and then made the surreal parts even more surreal.

>thinking people here don't DROP bands because of things like that
you must be new

>something is a bit more ambitous and sophisticated thatn ROCK N ROLL DUDE LETS DANCE
>pleb gets mad that he can't get it and calls it the worst genre
Can't make this shit up

>aimless noodling
>ambitious and sophisticated

>Every intelligent rock critic hated prog in the 70s
>Critic hates something because it's harder to critique and you cant just recitate buzzwords and call it a review
Shocking

>aimless noodling
You can describe everything this way, try again

People only hate prog becaude they unknowingly put Jazz and Classical on a pedestal as if they are more elevated genres of intelligence, and logic that prog is only trying to become intelligent rather than being its own genre.

Prove me wrong.

It's a hipster thing

people listen to it just to seem deep. same with the people who made it

And how about listening enjoying all of those genres? That's out of the question, eh?

This post is why people call prog pretentious.

you speak with wisdom, sir

>bit more ambitous and sophisticated
>PRETENTIOUS PRETENTIOUS TRIGGERED TRIGGERED
CANT MAKE THIS SHIT UP

Never understood the whole 'noodling' criticism. Only a handful of bands actually do that (like ELP). I think people just don't like instrumental music that still requires your attention.

Jazz is great.

No one listens to prog to impress others.

The only prog bands I would consider pretentious are groups like Pink Floyd and Tool but that's more part of their lyrics and attitude than their music.

Name 3 genres that couldn't be described as mastubatory, pretentious trash

There's a fairly thin line between prog rock and metal, and prog is on the right side of the line.

Hip Hop
Prog-rock
Punk

>No one listens to prog to impress others.

What about cute girls?

I don't understand what the hate is for progressive, surely using logic and reasoning, you would realize that because it is so far away from modern pop in style, that is would be far better than the generic crap you hear on the radio. Also like everyone else has said, its similar to jazz which is one of the best, most thoughtful genres out there.

IDM
Serialism
Post-Rock

Say that to my faces, not online, try to understand what happens

I really don't see how you made that comparison. Can you explain your line of thoughts?

This is why:
>I don't get this notion of pretension in music. As if making sounds has any inherent importance or significance. If an artist's art is "pretending" to be more important than it is, then it implies that there is some baseline importance that it truly is. If you try to look for objective importance in music, then I'm not sure there's much to go on. Objectively it's just sounds that make you feel feels, so is every work that goes on "deeper" themes than just raw emotion pretentious for it?

>Using Floyd as an example, the lyrics to Piper are for the most part as unpretentious as can be, it's about gnomes and bikes and shit. But the music certainly suggests something more than raw emotions, some would say there are statements about consciousness in the music. Whether there really is isn't my point though. My point is that any defintion of pretension seems to cause a really low threshold for being pretentious, making most bands pretentious to some degree.

>I personally place a pretty high importance on music and find that there aren't many pretentious artists, if any.

And this was most conveniently ignored.

>Progressive rock serves no purpose. It's literally just the pleb version of jazz

And the fact that some of the most notable jazz musicians like Chick Corea played in prog bands like Return to Forever...?

all 3 of these are mastubatory, pretentious trash