ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE HAS WRITTEN A BEATLES-STYLE POP HIT

Cred Forums's thoughts on this?
Is this the future of music?
Can humans even compete?
Link to article and the song:
electronicbeats.net/feed/artificial-intelligence-has-written-a-beatles-style-pop-hit/
youtube.com/watch?v=LSHZ_b05W7o

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lIOiAK0x4vA
youtube.com/watch?v=7eUP1Sncifg
youtube.com/watch?v=H3xgdDTvvlc
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Howell
youtube.com/watch?v=VgbbYLSNbfg
youtube.com/watch?v=0LuHQ3CcbnU
youtube.com/watch?v=jLR-_c_uCwI
youtube.com/watch?v=2kuY3BrmTfQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is a psy-op, no computer fucking wrote this shit.

The actual composition and lyrics where made by Benoît Carré. The AI is just preforming it.

The article is misleading

Nice of them to get Jens Lekman to sing it

To an extent, but it's still impressive that a machine can preform it.

Markov Chain already can create music
Generated from Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"
youtube.com/watch?v=lIOiAK0x4vA

based on inception and instellar music
youtube.com/watch?v=7eUP1Sncifg

Generated from Satie's "Gymnopédies" and "Trois Gnossiennes"

youtube.com/watch?v=H3xgdDTvvlc

Emily Howell, the program over at UCSC, can actually do exactly what the article claims its program can do.

In, I am pretty sure Emily Howell is the most advanced of these kinds of programs considering it takes in information similar to IBM's Watson and like Watson, comes up with its own conclusion.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Howell

Check out the albums it has made.

to be honest how is this any different from just pressing a play button on a computer?

Why do we need this?

Infinite creations. We need it because people can't make decent music anymore, and you don't have to pay a computer, so no copyright hassles.

I can't consume infinite creations.
I can't even consume all the music that's out now.

Im somehow surprised it sounds like shit

You don't have to. It's not a race.

It's the other way around, I think- Benoît Carré is the guy singing, and the AI composed the actual song (minus the lyrics).

>le wrong generation

They problably used markov chain in a wrong way.
Many guys (at least when doing text based markov chain) stop the text after an arbitrary amount of words instead of having a fake word called text end, that makes the text end when its generated.
They also dont have an text start fake word, a word that will tell that only words that can appear after it can start texts.

Alot of little but important things they dont include and so their markov chain thing become not so decent.

just more reasons that I don't need it
Also, the algorithms to make new music would probably be grounded in music theory (correct me if I'm wrong). They wouldn't be able to make music that thinks of drastically new ideas. It could make some nice music but nothing innovative, right? In my opinion we don't need that much more of that which already exists. If we needed more of it, it would already have been made by humans. People only make music that they feel we want to listen to nowadays. Computers can make this, but they can't grasp what's hip or what could be innovative.

We don't need AI's to make music. An AI that could make interresting music could only exist if it was more complex so it could grasp concepts like the spirit of the times and whatnot.

Music has gotten stupider and stupider. We need somethign intelligent like a computer to make it now, take over from where we left off and failed.

Would that be because of the creators or the audience?

It would work great for dance music though...

Both.

Can't help it if it's because of the audience.

>grounded in music theory

Brian Eno - Generative Music 1
youtube.com/watch?v=VgbbYLSNbfg

Emily Howell - Land Of Stone
youtube.com/watch?v=0LuHQ3CcbnU

Autechre - elseq 1-5
Ummm...can't find a link. I guess Autechre's been pretty smart about blocking/restricting all that shit.

But point is, programs can definitely do it. Maybe not the one in the OP pic, but they definitely can do things outside the common era style theory you're thinking of. The cool thing is that the AIs can do both.

Here's Emily Howell making a fugue all on her own
youtube.com/watch?v=jLR-_c_uCwI

Here's the program doing a Vivaldi type thing, too

youtube.com/watch?v=2kuY3BrmTfQ

Also to be noted that the programs mentioned in this post created everything on their own with the human element just being to tell them to create.

Human faults, wont affect a computer's creation.

huh, cool post.

I do think a computer cannot have the same grasp on beauty that humans have, but who knows what the future will bring.

spooky af 2bh

The

fact

You can add constraints like that, or only allow chains over a certain length (7 notes or something), but you're always just trading randomness for determinism. There's nothing necessarily wrong with trying to make a song as randomly generated as possible.

Nothing new here. The Reptilians have been using artificial intelligence to write pop music for decades now, all with subliminal messages to erode our culture and moral fiber as they secretly put chemtrails in our water.

Shadow man was better.

>the test audiences kept saying the music is cold, by the numbers and souless
>But only if they were told beforehand that it was composed by an AI

interesting