What is your thoughts on ghost Cred Forums ?

What is your thoughts on ghost Cred Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=QsoAwRYdCM0
youtube.com/watch?v=1M6-vtj-2hU
youtube.com/watch?v=SQKoE3cfk2U
youtube.com/watch?v=YcSM7GQywVI
youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw
youtu.be/o_R4mJ_YVEE
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/zeal-and-ardor-interview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

meme dad rock, way too try-hard to look edgy

[scooby doo chase music intensifies]

spooky

they're really fun tongue in cheek halloween-core, i went to their concert last october and had an absolute blast

Definitely one of my favourite bands to have discovered. Listened to every album and I can give them all a solid 7-10.

Probably my favorite recent rock/metal band. First two albums are 10/10, this last record plays it a little too safe for my taste though...7/10.

The first covers EP is a 10 and really got me hyped, this new one though is pretty lame - 6/10 and that's only because the one original song on it is cool as fuck.

They're like a soft nu-metal version of Behemoth.

>Ghost
>Soft
>Nu-metal
You're fucking dumb, dude.

I like the atmosphere of their songs

agreed. it's a unique concept, and i love the way the borrow from so many time periods but still have that same almost "gospel" sound.

You can't tell me that you think Ghost are heavy - they're hard rock at the most. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong songs - can you recommend one of their heavier songs?

I can't get enough of it! I'll never get the hate towards them, but hey, to each their own

>youtube.com/watch?v=KOrXKiSy8ZY

>youtube.com/watch?v=QsoAwRYdCM0

>youtube.com/watch?v=1M6-vtj-2hU

They're not really 'heavy' like, say, a death metal band or something, but the vast majority of their good songs are on the harder side of hard rock, often verging towards on metal. And they sure as hell aren't 'nu-metal'.

A mediocre band that got famous due to a dumb stage gimmick. *cough* slipknot *cough* kiss *cough*
But seriously there are are soooo many better retro metal bands out there. Ghost doesn't add anything it's basically 80s glam metal with just a different layer of paint.

Fine - definitely thought I had heard an almost nu-metal breakdown on one of the tracks I was flipping through, but I'll take that back. I still think they're pretty unremarkable though, and the fact that one of the band members claimed that they are 'a black metal band in the traditional sense' is ludicrous. Makes me think they're just trying to pair some inoffensive music to a 'woo satanism we're scary' schtick to sell some albums. Fair enough though - it's worked for plenty of other bands, but I'm not calling it good.

Slipknot is pretty good though

Boring songs. Faggy outfits

>

You want Metal and Gospel vibes in one of the most original albums of this year, you should try Zeal & Ardor.

youtube.com/watch?v=SQKoE3cfk2U

>thinking slipknot is bad
educate yourself

One of my favorite artists is opening for them in the US and he never plays in the US. Strongly considering it. The problem is I don't like Ghost. Is it worth it for the live shows?

pretty derivative but their music is really comfy for me. they make me feel like I'm eating at Olive Garden.

Nu metal? Seriously?
Plus the only thing they have in common with Behemoth is the religious imagery. Bad comparison.

>they make me feel like I'm eating at Olive Garden
And musically speaking you are, so fair enough

>"black metal in the traditional sense"
I guess I can kinda see what they're saying by this. They are swedish, and at the core of black metal, was the idea of creating a genre that went totally against the confines of typical metal lyricism. being openly satanic, and creating a certain image (especially on stage) that amplifies this sort of image. Ghost definitely does the same thing in that regards.

But sonically, clearly Ghost and Black Metal have little to nothing in common. I haven't seen the interview where this was said, but I'm assuming he was referring to their aesthetic. And that's what makes it appealing to people...glam metal with a satanic edge is unique and different. Plus they incorporate so many different elements into their music. I really started getting into them once I started watching interviews with the band members; they're all very knowledgable when it comes to music and the history of the metal genre.

that was fucking awesome dude. the guy's vocals really fitted in with every genre he was going for.

A few points;

The thing is, black metal bands actually aimed to sing, live, and breathe their satanic schtick - it wasn't (and still isn't) the thin veneer you see pasted on to Ghost. I'm not saying this is a good thing - Black Metal bands are the edgiest of the edgy, but they do get a grudging respect for truly living the act they bring to the stage. (Along with a wariness resulting from these edges spilling over into things like burning down churches and killing people.) Ghost are only naming black metal as a genre in the hopes that some of that dubious respect might rub off on them.

Skip the 'few points' bit - I typed that, then typed a point, and then forgot the other point. Muh hangover.

Glad you liked it, user

i see what you're saying. they definitely lack the authenticity that old school black metal bands had. Authenticity is such a big element when it comes to metal bands, because it really changes peoples opinions on them. I.E. Deafhaven...people see it as "pussy metal" and that they don't respect the genre, so they get pushed aside.

That being said, even though Ghost may be borrowing from what old school black metal bands did, they're clearly doing their own thing at the same time. if you can link me to the interview where they talked about this, that'd be awesome.

Yeah, and it's interesting in that the more of an outlier a subgenre is, the bitchier its members seem to be. (Like black metal fans and Deafhaven, who are a pretty good band imo, if not really black metal.)

In terms of the link, I'll caveat this by saying I've not watched it - this is a link from a wikipedia reference / cite.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcSM7GQywVI

just watched it, and it basically didn't give either of us any answers lol. He said they're a black metal band in the traditional sense but didn't say anything else by what he meant by that. A lot of the interview was about how the band makes you feel, so I'm guessing that's what he was referring to. Black metal, to me, has always reflected feelings of evil and disgust, and Ghost tries to create the image of an actual Devil church. Interesting concept to say the least. Brings up the concept of where the line is between aesthetic intentions and actual musical genre classification.

pretty old interview btw. that was before the band could afford real masks. the band members look way more badass on stage now, and their concerts are immensely crazier than the one they showed in that video.

One of the most fun bands in recent years.

I recently started listening to them but I really like them a lot. I like the over the top, tongue in cheek, borderline cheesiness of their image, and I like how their sound is pretty unconventional by metal standards.

Their music isn't anything too special, but their live shows are a blast. I wouldn't actually sit down and listen to them, but I would sure as shit go to one of their concerts

>Ghost tries to create the image of an actual Devil church
I think I saw Marilyn Manson do that in '97. Didn't pay for the ticket - feel like I should mention that.

I liked them before they were cool

Powerwolf with a fancier act.

They're my "fuck you I like it" band.

Also this they're not meant to be taken seriously, the campy Halloween Scooby Doo-core aesthetic is obviously intentional from their music videos.

Nobody actually brings forth an argument as to why they are good. Like ffs we get it you like your baby's first metal band but at least try and defend your point

lmao is the entire genre of metal just a long running joke?

Cred Forums hates it because it got popular and it's not Pitchfork-approved

They're Scooby-Doo tier meme metal - we were never going to like them.

I don't know what you mean.

youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

>"black metal in the traditional sense"

I'm guessing they mean first wave black metal, when the genre still wasn't defined by just how you sound. In the way that theatrics and imagery from bands like Mercyuful Fate (corpsepaint) and Venom and other bands with lyics about Satan and evil are black metal.

So yeah it's about the aesthetic like said.

Fuck off newfag, Cred Forums loved Ghost at the time this was released.

Uh no

They're the Banposters of metal

I believe in them. My phone lit up the other night while i was watching a poltergeist documentary, and i saw a shadow creep past my right eye.

Top kek - nice try

Because not everyone's willing to write a multi paragraph explanation about why they like a band so they can get some randoms approval on Cred Forums .

I like them.

No
they just have the imagery. They sound nothing like Bathory/Venom/Celtic Frost

>dad rock

This is a bullshit term that gets used by contrarian faggots.

So first you retards say bands from the 60s-80s is "dad rock" because it's old - unless you like it, then it's called classic rock.

Now a band that didn't gain mainstream popularity until 2015 is "dad rock"?

Which is it? Make up your mind.

It's dadrock because it's unremarkable drek that sounds like seventies rock/metal.

Yes that's what I meant.

By Euronymous definition, Ghost is black metal

They're a new-age blue oyster cult that makes very catchy pop-esque music and puts on a great live show.

The vocal people who hate them are all cringey 14 year old trve metal fans \m/

I have a soft spot for camp, so I can't help but love the camp factor of their act

Easy there gramps - think of your heart

go listen to animals as leaders

is this that meme band that some cunt in my class tried putting me onto with papa whoosit and the womble(s) or some shit
lame as fuck, they look like a steampunk larper act and the lead's vocals are way to limp for the classic dadmetal vibe

>use of the word cringey
>bashing on 14 y/o
>uses blue oyster cult to boost retro credibility
15 year old confirmed

Thanks, but no.

I really don't think most 15 year olds would know who blue oyster cult is

Proof: the acronym BOC on Cred Forums is for Boards of Canada, and you're literally all 15 years old

>too limp for classic dad metal vibe
>what are ozzy's limp dick whiney vocals

A great what's in my bag with a Nameless Ghoul.
youtu.be/o_R4mJ_YVEE

>But seriously there are are soooo many better retro metal bands out there
examples?

It's pretty good

Lots of talk about these dorks today - did they spring for some low-rent 'new media' campaigning?

Witchcraft
In Solitude
Pagan Altar
Blood Ceremony
Portrait
just some that came to mind

love them. great new rock band

dude, i brought non-fans to the gig and they all had a great time. have some brews and get a little rowdy and you will enjoy

ur a cuck

I just saw them last weekend at Revolution Rock Festival in Connecticut. Was expecting them to be the shittiest band because of their image, were actually the best set and fucking killed it in every way.

I really like their sound.

Which one is the most technically proficient?

nah just dropped a new EP full of covers.

But yeah, Ghost is the perfect example that Cred Forums just hates anything that isn't 110% serious, especially when it comes to metal.
A lot of Ghost fans I meet say they fell in love with them after seeing them at a festival, which I can honestly understand. You have to understand their image & aesthetic before you can appreciate the music.

I don't totally know about that - I bet you'd get more people admitting to enjoying a bit of Gwar here than Ghost, and there's pretty much nothing serious about Gwar.

Gay

Blue Oyster Slipknot. Worst fucking band I have ever listened to. What a gimmick joke of a band. Spooky dad metal. Fuck off.

this was fucking insane, I love it!

I had to do some research after listening to this amazing crazy shit, and check this out:

>You know Cred Forums, that weird website? I have another project called Birdmask and I post anonymously [on the music board] to get feedback because they’re brutally honest and don’t give a shit about you. I used to make these threads where I would ask people for musical genres; one would post “swing”, and the other would post “hardcore gabber techno” and I’d fuse the two and make a song of it in 30 minutes. One day, someone said “nigger music” and another said “black metal.” I didn’t make the song then, but it stuck with me, and I thought it was an interesting idea.

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/zeal-and-ardor-interview

ok satan quints

I liked the first album, not especially crazy about the next two. Cover songs on the EPs are also amusing.

This is fucking tight. It's kind of like the next step forward from stuff like Exuma, early Dr. John and "swampcore".

Why try to deconstruct and trivialize everything?

Ghost has a mystery about them that has long been missing from the mainstream. Plus there is some solid songwriting and great showghoulship on display.

His Infernal Majesty + KISS = Ghost

Kek

they're like gwar but for our generation

pretty much this, with a dash of blue oyster cult.

ebin they're shit meme

They're popular so that means they're shit

As far as entry level stuff goes, they're the best. But entry level music will always remain entry level music.

They're great. Badass riffs, and they have a really seductive sound. Great gimmicks and theatrics, a truly fun band that can also kick ass and stay true to its roots.