Tfw you realize playing and creating music is actually really hard and every band you've ever shit on has more talent...

>tfw you realize playing and creating music is actually really hard and every band you've ever shit on has more talent than you

Guys, we are the hacks.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0kvXYvI6bWU
vocaroo.com/i/s0k7uvgnqduW
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because you need to be 5 star cook to criticise food

honestly, a recognised 5 star chef's opinion should carry more weight. and usually does.

this does not happen in music - look at every single vlog reviewer of music albums.

Talent does not equate how good something is.

Most Cred Forumstants probably have more talent in the singing and guitar playing department than Jeff Mangum, just think about that

coming up with a catchy melody is easy. it's the sitting down and arranging it into a song that's a pain in the ass. seems like it would be a lot easier with a group of people than alone.

>68052964
>anyone on Cred Forums being able to write, let alone record an album as great as ITAOTS
(You) are filtered

An artist with talent is more likely to produce something good than not.

>sing
>play guitar

Hmm, I don't recall mentioning anything about his lyricism

Why would you intentionally avoid mentioning that?

Why not? That's like a third of what makes the album good.

You are an idiot. A critic provides an educated opinion from the consumer's perspective. A cook, a creator in his field, will no doubt have a differing opinion that is biased and separate from the common perspective of the consumer.

speak for yourself dude

>implying we're professional critics

damn...

Remember that Lou Reed was alive at some point and had a career

>coming up with a catchy melody is easy

lmao. it's like the hardest part. come up with a really good melody right now and post it here

There's a difference between knowing how to cook and being a five star fulltime chef, dumbfuck.

LOL. You obviously don't make music.
It really is the easiest part

>says it's easy
>doesn't post his own music

trust me, 90% of the songs i hear don't have great melodies anyway

You fucking retard. No one said it had to be great or amazing, it just has to be catchy. How do you even consider a melody amazing? It's completely subjective. No need to post my own music when you're this dense.

can't speak for him for but by easy i meant it's more like dumb luck where i'll be sitting around and start humming out some shit that sounds good. i've got a folder of these recordings but im too embarrassed to post any.

>How do you even consider a melody amazing?

there's a pretty clear separation between okay melodies and amazing melodies you fucking idiot.

>muh subjectivity
opinion discarded. and thank god you aren't posting your music, i'm sure it's either complete shit or it doesn't exist, so save yourself the embarrassment friend

>i'll be sitting around and start humming out some shit that sounds good

i kinda know what you mean, i guess part of the genius is taking a little fragment and creating an entire song from it

>there's a pretty clear separation between okay melodies and amazing melodies you fucking idiot
Yet you don't post a single example.
Get the fuck out of here, you don't even make music

>Get the fuck out of here, you don't even make music
says the guy who hasn't posted anything he's made

dude any example works. fucking yesterday by the beatles is a better melody than california gurls by katy perry. you'll disagree to disagree because "muh subjectivity" and "muh poptimism" but it's true

Can I submit my music for reviews here ? If not, where can I do it on Cred Forums ?

that's why I never take peoples opinion on music seriously unless they can play an instrument really well or know music theory.

You still don't say why it's "better"
How is it better? Because it's more complex? Because it's catchier? Just because you like it more? Or is it because Cred Forums told you it was "patrician"?

Why am I even arguing with you about this, you don't know shit

>inb4" I Wuz only pretanding

>How do you even consider a melody amazing? It's completely subjective.
yeah, maybe if you define a melody as just a string of notes.
don't make music please.

Man you sure showed me with that argument

>tfw people are scared of your ideas and get too freaked out to keep playing/producing with you
I'm just bein me

>i think randomly generated pitches are equivalent to the bass walk in 'i want you back'
you're 'argument' is dead on arrival baby

More than half I'd say

It's not that hard to be quite honest with you user.

>Because it's more complex? Because it's catchier?

both of those things, but a melody can be better than another melody without having either of those things. the point is that most of us can agree that the melody is better, but it's hard to put a set of qualifying characteristics on what separates good melodies from bad melodies.

yesterday's melody is just more emotional affecting and catchy, possibly for reasons beyond explanation

You don't do it on Cred Forums because you won't get good reviews. All the user's will be jealous of your ability to make music and your audacity to post it on here and just ridicule you likely.

At least that's how I envision it going.

strong co-sign. just because you can't come up with a decision procedure to identify every good melody, doesn't mean that some strings of notes aren't better melodies than other strings.

yeah exactly

Well, I'm not looking for good reviews desu but If someone has something interesting to say, I'm not against. I've made more than 800 tracks but I've never managed to do something really pro. I'm wondering why.

So, no board for that here ?

Usually people at the top of their art form have a unique perspective of that particular art, almost like a bird's eye view. The mass media would find their views crazy and would find a way to de-rationalize it. This is because mass media is a business where there has to be profit made to survive. So a lot of their opinions are "Ordinary people judging high art that appeals to other Ordinary people" Within that process comes the formation of disingenuine opinions based on how a company may be promoting their image.

At least in my opinion

where's an easy place to post shit without sign up? vocaroo? i dont have a soundcloud

cylp

As long as it isn't advertising go ahead, just expect little serious criticism
Worth a try at least

Thanks.

Godfazaah Mastafary on Reverbnation

I'M A CONNOISSEUR I'VE CONNED YOU SIR.

vocaroo.com/i/s0kvXYvI6bWU
here's an example of a real simple melody with a vocal melody i came up with in probably 10 minutes. if you've heard enough other shit it's really easy to make something generic but catchy.

>literally making up quotes just to make yourself feel better
Pathetic

>just because you can't come up with a decision procedure to identify every good melody, doesn't mean that some strings of notes aren't better melodies than other strings.
So in other words, you can feel when a melody is better. Which makes it subjective because not everyone will feel the same way about the melody.

He was pointing at us all along

That's not true at all you mong.

how? what kind of fucked up shit are you talking about?

>Which makes it subjective because not everyone will feel the same way about the melody.

again, just because people cannot agree on what constitutes a good melody doesn't mean there is no difference between good and bad melodies

Is that a joke? Those 4 repeating notes are definitely generic, anything but catchy or good. I usually wouldn't be so harsh with criticism of someone genuinely trying but when you're claiming writing melodies is easy it's deserved

>it's a Cred Forums tries to rationalize being elitists while not knowing anything about music episode

>it's a contribute nothing to the thread while acting superior episode

Next time try to spend mord than 10minutes on it. Sounds like it's dripping from George Michael butthole.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Coltrane is overrated.

>tfw you know the music you make is shitty but you don't care because you like how it sounds and you put a solid amount of effort into it which is more than can be said than most shitposters on Cred Forums

my god he writes like a 13 year old and has the opinions to match

>part of the genius is taking a little fragment and creating an entire song from it

Pretty much. Although this is also achievable through a LOT of practice. Most people just lack both unfortunately.

Maybe, but songwriting is still very hard.

guarantee mangums a better lyricist than anyone on Cred Forums

probably, yeah
I mean, there are probably a couple of actually good artists that browse Cred Forums but generally you're right

No comment ?

don't listen to these faggots. I thought it was pretty good user.

>every band you've ever shit on has more talent than you
Yeah, doesn't mean we don't have the right of criticism. Food critics aren't gonna go in the back and make you a fucking 5 course meal, tasting like the soup was made from the teats of angels.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

really makes you think

vocaroo.com/i/s0k7uvgnqduW

Melody is easy desu, arrangement and lyrics are hard

>writing and recording guitar melodies for 5+yrs
>too anxious/insecure to ever develop into anything i feel comfortable calling a "song"

idk i just dont feel driven to do it, and actually trying would take away all the fun, but at the same time I'm kind of disappointed in myself that there's a very real possibility that, after putting all this time and energy into something I truly love, nobody else will ever hear my music.

i half tempted to just upload everything i have onto an anonymous soundcloud, just in case I die unexpectedly or something lol

link?

Singing well as almost as much to do with confidence as skill, so there's some truth to that. And guitar isn't an especially challenging instrument unless you're playing at an advanced level. So yeah, success probably does mostly have to do with songwriting ability.

My band is better than probably 40% of the stuff posted here.

Y'all must not be very good then lol

yes it does what the fuck are you even saying here

talent =/= technical skill

As long as you go with the tempo and mostly stay in key it is pretty easy to make a melody, people who say otherwise hace never soloed on a song.
Like, just try playing around with a pentatonic scale for a bit, it wont be great but itll probably be catchy
Then you move that melody around depending on the harmonic progresiĆ³n and tweak it a little at bits.
Ta daaa