youtube.com/watch?v=W0gkMzies2U
youtube.com/watch?v=ibkDVzUvynU
youtube.com/watch?v=fBA6pUdA2NA
youtube.com/watch?v=W4P_OofC3xM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DUDE
ACID
LMAO

Can you make psychedelic music without taking psychedelic drugs?

Frank Zappa managed to

yes of course. take you're influences from psych music. I think alot of psych music is made while being sober. Although exeperience with drugs can lead to psych music, u dont need it.

This. Plus you can't play when you're on drugs

no, then you would be faking it

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Yo

>You can't play when you're on drugs

KEK

>you can't play when you're on drugs

tell that to santana, literally EVERYONE is high on acid during this video...

youtube.com/watch?v=AqZceAQSJvc

Awesome album to trip to.

at least smoke weed fag

Whats some good music to listen to while on lsd? i just try it for the first time yesterday but i was too scared to listen to music since i have a bad experience with it starting to distort and slowing down

>weed
>psychedelic

Grateful Dead live albums never fail to chill me out when things start to go bad on acid.

weed can be psychedelic if you have little/no tolerance. remember the first time you ever smoked? I had CEVs, it was amazing

My favorite genre.
You guys should check out The Black Angels, good stuff.

my negro

Why does no one talk about this?

i usually stop smoking weed when i start thinking about how i dont want to be high

because this

it's been 8 or so years since I listened to that, I remember digging it and giving it a 4/5, but for the life of me I can't remember what it sounds like.

Soft Machine are bullshit fake jazz wankery. Kevin Ayers did true psych

Flaming Lips, Circulatory System

ok, well here

Any fans of this?

youtube.com/watch?v=LI7ASaAA55g

*you can't play well.

I actually like this one but the keyboardist still does a lot of fucking wankery and Robert Wyatt is a bad singer.

Not until just now.

so, you dont like rock bottom, i guess?

phasing is groovy man

youtube.com/watch?v=PjKx-yLOGEY

Not really. It's okay, but I don't like any of Soft Machine or its solo projects as much as I love Kevin's stuff.

Fuck man, I love the Nazz too. Sort of embarrassed about this, but I found out about Todd through Nazz and not the other way around.

Would you guys consider Tiny Tim as a psychedelic musician? He is like Zappa, but the irony is on another level to the point where it ceases to be ironic, but actually becomes meaningful.

noice

No, it's called Outsider Music. And there's no irony, he's serious.

you seem like a pleb for not liking third or rock bottom, especially rock bottom since its like the best the genre has to offer, just my opinion

I'm familiar with outsider music, and I know that he is serious, but the conception of him is that it couldn't possibly be done in earnest it is so absurd (hence why he is an outsider). I guess the question is more so, is there something inherently psychedelic about outsider music by virtue of the fact that it gets you to experience whatever dominant culture as though you yourself were an outsider?

real outsider music:

youtube.com/watch?v=VyiiYYujDgc

>I guess the question is more so, is there something inherently psychedelic about outsider music by virtue of the fact that it gets you to experience whatever dominant culture as though you yourself were an outsider?
It depends on your definition of psychedelic music. If we are sticking to the rigid definition of music created on, for or representing a psychedelic trip, then no (unless the artist actually is, like Syd Barret).

I think what you are really talking about is that the fans of psychedelic music are more likely to "get" Outsider Music because they already listen to music "outside the box" so to speak.

second best song on the original nuggets release

literally the only good psych albums are MMT and Saucerful of Secrets are acceptable in such a fucking meme genre

please, 12 year olds rather go back to their designated threads

Why?

because both of them were released in the year real psych rock died. once you've heard those two you've heard literally every psych rock song

Man if you don't like psych just get out man. You should be happy we're in our containment thread

>because both of them were released in the year
They were released in different years
>real psych rock died
What is "real psyche" and how did it die?

youtube.com/watch?v=WG0375yYPRI

Not enough people posting samples

If you like this album then be sure to check out The Great American Metaphysical Circus by Joe Byrd and The Field Hippies.

dude, trippy shit man, this reverb is so cool
my b but it was peaking really hard at the time these were released at the top of psychs relevant, everything labeled psych after these two is people who did fried their brain with acid

>everything labeled psych after these two is people who did fried their brain with acid
See

look we get it you don't like psych music. but we do and it's retarded to convince someone to stop liking something. again, at least we're not invading other threads

who /gong/ here? really great stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=oT6RXJ3gh7Y

dude mediocrity lmao

What music do you like?

Gong when it was Daevid Allen's band never made a bad album but Floating Anarchy 1977 is still my go to album. (Hippies cashing in on punk. Now that shit is hilarious!)

drone, atonal electric, harsh noise, free jazz, the list goes on

why is this so underrated

anyone here into Tyrannosaurus Rex?

how casual

how do you pronounce psych?

puh-sitch

5D 5D 5D 5D

youtube.com/watch?v=OMxEkEPfbgc

>people unironically think this was the best pink floyd album
just stop

What's mediocre about it?

also very underrated
a-side is the strongest of any of their albums
too bad b-side couldn't live up

thanks

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of psychedelic music as music that seeks to broaden the horizons of one's experience of "reality," in the same way that psychedelics are supposed to. Outsider music sort of does that as well by removing us from our usual place in the world to look at our culture as an outsider who is knowledgeable enough to comment on it.

They Byrds never put out a bad record

I'm sorry to say that I found Mark Bolan's voice quite annoying before he changed direction and shortened it to T-Rex.

Comfy as fuuuuuck... the bass on At Giza is so good (then again the entire band is literally groove)

recommend some albums to someone who only listens to The Brian Jones Town Massacre.

>I was kind of thinking more along the lines of psychedelic music as music that seeks to broaden the horizons of one's experience of "reality," in the same way that psychedelics are supposed to
That's a really flimsy definition, in that genres as a thing become useless unless there are specific musical guidelines. "expanding your mind" really isn't a musical guideline. It's like calling anything "experimental" just because it's weird.

Their Satanic Majesties Request

IVE GOT A BIKE YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU LIKE ITS GOT A BASKET A BELL THAT RINGS AND THINGS TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD

but my nigga, while the rest of side 2 is somewhat filler (for lack of a better term), side 2 does kick off with eight miles high, which entered a place where music hadnt been before

I mean, 8 miles high, it doesn't get more influential and classic than that

they used to have this whole scene of disciples, quite weird

asteroid#4
the quarter after
the warlocks
singapore sling

for latter day bjm: dead skeletons

No mention of The Yardbirds yet. (Cream is too obvious)

ballad of easy rider tbqh

as much as i love and revere eight miles high, i feel like it's more influential than it is a great byrds song
honestly it probably wouldn't even make my top 10 for the band

Can I have it?

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world, I'll give you anything if you want things

Love the Yarbirds. Pic related is so underrated

is this actually good?
i've listened to their other 3 albums and none of them especially blew me away
studio side of having a rave up was good, though

So I can have the bike? It wasn't borrowed?

Yes it's a shame that it's so underrated.

Is it a good album you ask? Many would argue it's the best studio album they ever made. The song White summer suggests what would be forthcoming as far as Led Zep was concerned (And I don't even like LZ) Personally I like Over Under Sideways Down (Or Roger The Engineer as it was known in the rest of the world especially the MONO version) but Little Games is definitely an album worth listening to and purchasing if you can find it. Little Games on features Jimmy Page on guitar while the previous album featured bot Page AND Jeff Beck. But as far as I'm concerned The Yardbirds never put out a bad record. Side two of Rave Up is living proof that The Grateful Dead DIDN'T invent the long meandering concert guitar solo/jam.

see

Roger The Engineer only had Beck

yardbird guys, light 1 to 4 weeds (long song) while I shill for steve marriott

youtube.com/watch?v=W0gkMzies2U

there's supposed to be a saxophone on renaissance fair (on younger than yesterday) but i've never heard it?

what exactly is it doing so i can listen for it specifically?

No Page is on that album but he's not pictured or credited. A similar thing happened with For Your Love. Beck is pictured and listed as the guitar player but it was Eric Clapton who played on most of the songs.

It was still good though

Damn I'm digging this.
What are the good Santana albums?

isn't page only on happenings ten years time ago and psycho daisies, i thought? not on the original album?

this

Fantastic album

first 2 Santana albums are gold. 5D, Younger Than Yesterday, and Notorious Byrd Brothers are top fucking tier

love this one too

>tfw band directs people to internet Archive links of recordings of their live shows

More bands need to be like Oresund Space Collective.

IVE GOT A

Interesting point to consider. I think Feels by AC is psychedelic, but also pretty outsider. I wouldn't show it to just anyone if they were tripping.

It is a flimsy definition, but what is "psychedelic" music? Most music becomes psychedelic when you take acid, in my experience. Not that I'm disagreeing with you. I've spent a few thoughts on this topic and I'm curious how others view the relationship between psychedelics and music.

SERIOUS MENTAL CONDITION

Is the new Wovenhand good?

No album after 68 are worth listening to

>what is "psychedelic" music?
Psychedelic music (sometimes psychedelia[1]) covers a range of popular music styles and genres influenced by the 1960s psychedelic culture, a subculture of people who used psychedelic drugs such as LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, mescaline and DMT to experience visual and auditory hallucinations, synesthesia and altered states of consciousness. Psychedelic music attempted to replicate the hallucinogenic experience of using these drugs or enhance the experience of using them.

Weed is a mild psychedelic.

Supposedly he thought his guitar was a snake during this entire performance, hence all the weird faces he makes at it

...ok, but that description doesn't actually talk about the music in "musical" terms.

In fact, I think
> Psychedelic music attempted to replicate the hallucinogenic experience of using these drugs or enhance the experience of using them.
highlights my question of, what music truly is psychedelic? It seems irrevocably subjective to me. Yet some in the music community flock around a psychedelic banner, as evidenced by this very thread. Animal Collective, for me, is fantastic to hallucinate with. I'm sure that is not the case for many people though.

Is psychedelic music tied to a certain time and zeitgeist or has it pushed too far away from what was happening in the 60s? Is it a cultural moniker or does it actually describe a type of music?

psyche newfag that likes piper and embryonic where should I go from there? If you hate me for this just reply with your favorite psychedelic album

>that description doesn't actually talk about the music in "musical" terms.
A number of features are often included in psychedelic music. Exotic instrumentation, with a particular fondness for the sitar and tabla are common.[2] Songs often have more complex song structures, key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones than contemporary pop music.[3] Surreal, whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics are often used.[4][5] There is often a strong emphasis on extended instrumental solos or jams, typically featuring a heavily distorted electric guitar as the main instrument.[3] Electric guitars are plugged into large, powerful guitar amplifiers and speakers, which are turned up to a high volume and used with distortion to create feedback. Electric guitars are typically played through a wah wah pedal, usually with heavy fuzzbox or distortion effects.[6] There is a strong keyboard presence, in the 1960s this especially using electronic organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron, an early tape-driven 'sampler' keyboard.[7] Elaborate studio effects are often used, such as backwards tapes, panning the music from one side to another of the stereo track, using the "swooshing" sound of electronic phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb.[8] In the 1960s there was a use of primitive electronic instruments such as early synthesizers and the theremin.[9][10] Later forms of electronic psychedelia also employed repetitive computer-generated beats.[11]

I'm surprised nobody has said Yura Yura Teikoku yet. Probably my favorite psychedelic rock band.

youtube.com/watch?v=ibkDVzUvynU

neat band

Someone on Cred Forums once said "Anyone who has ever dreamed can relate to Psych music"

So yes.

>tfw you can't remember your dreams anymore

as someone whose experienced, the parallel between dreaming and tripping is fair but tripping is so much more than just being asleep with your thoughts

Much more revealing

nice b8 m8

You're a retard sorry

Abraxas and Santana 3 are great

You don't sound as good as you think you do, sorry

I don't know which one of us two is terribly wrong about Zappa but I am pretty sure he took his fair amount of drug.

zappa never took drugs, and even disliked psychedelic music in general. Funnily enough, his dig to psychedelic music of the time turned out to be one of the better psychedelic songs too youtube.com/watch?v=fBA6pUdA2NA

youtube.com/watch?v=W4P_OofC3xM
Les and Ler were on acid during this performance

Just fyi, I've seen them a month ago and they are terrible.
The concert was not so good and they yelled at each other on scene. I was high as fuck (5mg of DOM) and they really fucked up the vibe and their own concert.
Was still a good experience because kikagaku moyo played before them and Follakzoïd after them. I didn't know jonestown massacre before the gig and I don't want to hear more about them.

feels wat

it is tho

>zappa never took drugs
This is wrong, a myth that has been perpetuated by casual Zappafans.

kek

I heard things that really go against that.
And i think that
is right

Do you have a problem accepting he took drugs ? It doesnt change anything. Most humans on this earth take drugs anyway.

i dont care at all, just what ive read/heard

I also vividly remember my dad saying he hated Frank Zappa because once he saw a poster of him and he thought he "looked weird" so never listened to his music.

>just what ive read/heard
What books have you read?

alright calm down lad i havent read any books, just read/heard in general

Which means no, you haven't read