The Life of Pablo is giving me some serious problems- I can't decide if it's great or just pretty okay but interesting...

The Life of Pablo is giving me some serious problems- I can't decide if it's great or just pretty okay but interesting. Anybody else run into albums you have trouble deciding your feelings on?

It happens sometimes, yeah
Just give it some time to sink in I guess

It's good but great? I'm not sure either. I will say that Yeezus was better (and better than most people remember it).

The weird thing is I was sure it was great the first month or so but then I started wondering if I was just being a Ye stan.

Definitely agree that Yeezus was better, it's tied with MBDTF for my favorite Kanye album

>inb4 TLOP/Kanye/hip-hop is terrible

I do think Yeezus had its problems. I mean, there is some disappointment on there for me. Apparently I'm the only person who doesn't like Blood on the Leaves. There's some mediocre segments. But overall, the highs of the record of some of the highs on Kanye imo. Some of that was used in TLOP, but not to the same high point. TLOP doesn't reach the same height Yeezus did.

Yeezus was avant-garde for a guy Kanye's stature to make. I mean, a fucking acid house sample on the first track that has a cut to a completely detached sample that doesn't go with the song at all? That's incredible. One of the best things Kanye's done. New Slaves and its roll-out was also one of the best things he's done. Send it Up and I'm in It are great too. The islander/dancehall singing sample segments are goat too.

I just hope Kanye does something as experimental (for mainstream hip-hop at least) for his next album, or I'll be disappointed. TLOP isn't a bummer for me, but I certainly haven't listened to it as much as I did Yeezus when it came out. I just hope he gets back into that mindset. I'd be happy if he went full house/techno. I mean, he even touched that on TLOP w/ Fade, one of my favorite tracks. I am a dance-stan tho, but I think that's a great direction for Kanye to go in. He can do something real revolutionary if he mixes house/techno up w/ his rapping and another element, e.g. industrial or whatever you wanna call it that was present on Yeezus.

too many bad tracks. once again, the cut at the msg show (yeezy season 3) is all way to go.

almost every song sounds like a demo he threw together in one session. i guess that's supposed to be 'the point' but it kinda just sounds like shit imo.

Nah I like the official version's mastering way more than yeezy season's, and I can't really complain about straight up bad tracks. There are some that could've been cut, but I still think they're fine.

My problem is that there are songs that I think aren't that good but have this moment of frisson in them that's incredible, like the outro of Famous and the piano in the bridge of High Lights, so how do I decide how I feel about that? There are some songs that would be weak that have these incredible moments, so how good is the actual song?

Meant to direct that to

The rest of the songs on there are bonus tracks. The Yeezy Season Cut (ULB -> Wolves/Frank's Track) is the actual album

The last song is Wolves/Frank's Track. Everything post-Frank is bonus cuts. You could argue Saint Pablo though.

i read that he made fade in like 5 minutes with ty dolla sign

if that's true that's incredible, that's one of my favorites on the album

Hey OP, try out this extended tracklist I made when I burned it to a CD, sure it's quite long but I think it raises the whole thing up a little

You guys have any thoughts on this?
Switched Ultralight Beam to the closer since that's what he had originally, and holy damn is it powerful. I feel like when it was the opener, the rest of the album didn't *quiiite* match that god-level

I forgot that Black Hippy version of All Day exists. Its on my PC somewhere but I canst find it.

his verse certainly sounds that way. sounds like he recorded it 5 minutes before his yeezy season 2 show

it's not a consistent or focused album but it's fun and kanye makes great, unique music

I stick with this tracklist and I like it a lot more.

If nothing else it reminded me of how differently Kanye uses feature artists. He's really the master of it imo.

I think the album as a whole is disjointed and weird, but in a way that I really like. And the presence of Ultralight Beam itself means this album could literally be Ye shitting on a mic for 30 more minutes and it'd still be a 6/10 minimum.

This is very true. Not a huge fan of The Dream on Highlights, but

ONE LIFE, ONE NIGHT
HIGH LIGHTS
LIVIN THE LIFE TIL I DIEYIEYIE

- is amazing. Some of the tracks I thought were just okay at first are the ones I keep coming back to. Another one of these moments for me is Post Malone's part on Fade.

This album so much, the production might be up there with the greatest of all time, and the melodies, instruments, all that, are great. But some of the performances and lyrics are so bad they make me want to throw up

kanye is basically this generation's bowie, in that he's a taste-maker. he has a grander vision than the sources he takes from, and executes with similarly expansive themes and motifs.

add that to him being one of the best samplers in the history of hip hop, and you get something that anyone critically-minded cannot avoid

His worst album, up there with 808s&Heartbreak and Graduation.

Broke in the middle, half-assed with good moments in the songs.

I think the most off-putting thing about this album is its naïvely positive message, which is basically sacrilege in the metal community. Once I saw past that I really embraced it for what it was and enjoy it now. Almost all the music I listen to is cynical/depressing so it's nice to mix it up.

Sky Blue, however, fucking suuuuuuuucked as it was basically just a retread of Epicloud. Transcendence is much better.

I think Life Of Pablo was and still is a complete mess from start to finish. Kanye can claim that its supposed to be that way to symbolise his messed up life/mindset all he wants but that just seems like bullshit to me - you could use that excuse to justify any bad art.

With that being said, I think a lot of the tracks on the album are truly great.

>how do I decide how I feel about that?
why does it matter? you don't have to write a review about every single album you listen to. it's ok to be indifferent to albums or just think they're ok. i feel like the problem with music journalism/people on Cred Forums is that they are too extreme. albums are either shit or works of genius. sometimes people are too afraid to just say "it's ok"

Kanye himself made a beat for it in 5 minutes (Fade).
He touches his work in the last minutes of it coming out. it hurts the final product, unless you're dickridding him

The album would've been better if Kanye acted less autistic during its release.

>Keeps "announcing" its title and then changing it
>Keeps showing off tracklists that weren't real
>Changed the songs production, tracklist and even added tracks to the album after "premiering" it at his show
>Changed the songs production, tracklist and even added tracks to the album after releasing it on Tidal

Its just been a fucking rushed mess, very amatuerish. But again, a lot of the tracks are good in their own right.

kanye realized he's his own best PR firm. and now Tidal is gonna net a profit for Jay Z when he sells it and Kanye has another blockbuster under his belt. name another rapper his age that still gets the attention he does

That's true, it did get him attention and cant argue that its working for him. I just think it damaged the quality of the album.

I like that you didn't fuck up most of it, just threw in those extra tracks around what people already consider the "bonuses". Also happy that the Timmy Turner remix is basically just Kanye's verse & the hook, thank god

What the fuck is Nina Chop, though?

It took me so long - it's Famous. Chance said it in an interview somewhere

Anyone know any good download links for this?

>inb4 you suck at the internet

Yes I know. I also know all the sites I've tried have been shit and I'm not paying $20 for this album.

It's Famous. Also note that Highlights is both Low Lights+Highlights, and also obviously 30 Hours is the Soundcloud version not the outro version.

there is not a single bad track. everybody i know has differerent least favorites.
its also easy to listen to this album and not get bored because the album isnt cohesive. idk how people can dislike the album due to not having each song sound similar.
probably my 3rd favorite album this year

industrial ≠ experimental
tlop has definitely has some industrial songs and some experimental songs though

>taking anything by Kanye this seriously
this album, or the songs for that matter, doesn't have a single idea or destination it's heading. Kanye just does whatever he feels like with little thought or logic behind it. this is no deeper than what you're presented with on it's surface.

>industrial
>experimental
>acid house
>islander
>"i am a dance-stan tho"
>kanye

none of you fucks know what you are talking about. fucking nuke this board already, holy shit.

>Kanye just does whatever he feels like with little thought or logic behind it

>implying this is a bad thing