/daily/ - "a literal meme tournament" edition

There were four new posts made in the six hours I was asleep, get it together!

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, do your best not to shitpost, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>make charts!

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>the same thing as plug but with emotes

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>come here to feel bad

The Skype group is an abstract concept, only understood by the purest of ploymaths.

Most importantly, post!

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

punchbowlrecords.com/store/p3/The_Snuggalos_-_Hocus_Opus_//_Cassette_Tape_PB-03.html
youtu.be/atihj_yw2Mw
youtu.be/8Cf6in3k_sE
youtu.be/W1Z1NVmyrQI
youtube.com/watch?v=49zQJqS5Gdo
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the_jesus_and_mary_chain/some_candy_talking_e_p__f4/
youtube.com/watch?v=78rBOGrbeRo
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kjeld/skym/
monrakplengthai.blogspot.com/2010/03/khana-rung-thawi-hae-sot-dontri-phuen.html
h4ller.bandcamp.com/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/videosex/videosex_84/
youtube.com/watch?v=XGRCvIhqWpg
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/うさぎのへいたいは待機/架空的すみやか-kakuuteki-sumiyaka/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for pupper

This one was me btw.

Wow fuck u

ok game's over i was the tattoed man guy

gotcha B)

>New Order - Technique

This is a very catchy synthpop/dance record but it might actually be my least favorite from New Order so far. There's great catchy melodies but I don't enjoy the dance influences enough. Most of this album lacks the jangly guitar and bouncy bass that makes me enjoy their previous albums so much. I haven't given their later material a listen but this seems like a transitional album. Not super big on this style even though it isn't so far removed from Low-Life.

Enjoyable, not my favorite though. In fact, this mostly just made me go back to their previous two releases.

>Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

Not typically heavy into proggy rock or jam bands but this is really really fucking good. I managed to snag a vinyl of this for under 5 bucks, which now looks like a pretty good bargain.

The whole first side is a giant improv session based on "When Do You Love" and mixes in influences from blues, psych rock and jazz. Side two has a bit more variety, with the lengthy "Mona" and "Calvary" and a shorter "Maiden of the Cancer Moon".

"Calvary" in particular is super interesting and a lot less upbeat than the rest of the album. There's more experimentation, guitar feedback and wild drumming. Loved it.

As far as a jam band album goes, this is one of the better I've heard. It's basically 80 percent improv but rarely feels like unnecessary wankery.

Everything works pretty well on this album but I'll definitely have to be in the mood to return to it in full.

oh im worthless
& weak
& im sick
& im scared
& the anime is everywhere

funnily enough i do have a very similar voice timbre/tone-wise to whoever that is but i'm american

Managed to snag a couple of decent records at a local thrift store. What do you guys think of my haul? Not Cred Forumscore or anything but I've liked what I've heard so far.

Still need to add some hip-hop to my collection...

Also, I won a drawing for a book about Riskie, the guy who designed most of the Death Row album covers. Pretty good week so far desu.

my tourney starts soon

(you can place bets, but there's nothing to gain so why would you)

cool :3

canine

I'd like to bet on Terminus.

October chart done \o/
with frogotten albums collecting dust on my hard drives for years & years: let's see if it's worth it to upgrade them from 128kbps to 320kbps kek

Very nice, that quicksilver record is a good one

holy shit raymond scott is the goat

yessss, the dude was probably one of the most brilliant composers of all time. even his cartoony big band stuff is still so interesting from a compositional standpoint. and of course manhattan research inc was a fucking life-changing album.

That calendar is super aesthetically pleasing, nice job!

powerhouse + experimental electronic pop = genius

>Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (Vinter) vs Gorō Yamaguchi - A Bell Ringing in the Empty Sky (supercluster)
eh, pretty weak match. Sturgill Simpson was just not up my alley, I like alt-country when it gets dark, brooding, and/or sad, this uplifting shit doesn't really do the thing for me personally. Found the soul elements to be somewhat out of place as well, the two genres don't mix well imo. The Yamaguchi album was good for what it was, but I'm afraid I'm not a massive shakuhachi fan. The instrument is fine an sich, but when the music is only shakuhaci and nothing else, it doesn't hold up very well for me. Nonetheless, it was well-done and at least it was short, so it never got to a point where it started annoying me.

Basically two somewhat pleasant listens that nonetheless aren't really "my thing." Cluster advances, need an ambient rec.

Deep Jew - Ugliest Man / Dog Blood (2008)
>noisecore, powerviolence

Really dense, thick, ear-piercing noise, but little more. It's really only broken up when the walls of noise are interrupted with more obviously punky/rocky sounds like heavy drum hits or distortion from a guitar, but other than that this is pretty much as close as you can get to a wall noise album without actually featuring walls of noise and little more. Monotonous, and not really my thing, but with some awesome textures, and it achieves what it sets out to do.

2.5-

Arthur Russell - Calling Out of Context (2004)
>art pop

The word "musical genius" shouldn't be thrown around lightly, but Arthur Russell is absolutely a genius. He had such an amazing grasp on so many different styles and forms of music, and was pretty much a master at everything he tried. This is probably his most straightforward record, and it does somewhat suffer as a result of that, getting a /bit/ cheesy and bland at times ("Make 1, 2" is a definite low point), but the best songs here are some of the best pure pop songs I've ever heard, Russell's cello and ethereal voice combine so well with his songwriting and his disco-esque production. Not as earth-shattering as World of Echo, but a damn fine record in it's own right.

3.0+

Sondre Lerche - Heartbeat Radio (2009)
>pop rock, indie pop

A more focused effort than Faces Down (the only thing I've heard from Lerche prior to this chart), and I enjoy it more, but a certain sense of spontaneity and freedom is lost in this heavily orchestrated pop style. That's really my main complaint, nothing about this feels organic, it's an immaculate pop album but one without any real feeling or anything to grasp onto. That being said, Lerche has a wonderful voice and a knack for songwriting, even if the songs really don't make a lasting impression on me. The arrangements are impressive as well, but still add to the over-produced feel of the album. Still, a pretty nice little pop album.

Thats a lotta black doods.
Hype for spooky Sam Rivers.

royal trux next

>no woptober

>royal trux next
just started up duster but after that sure

New 0.5- soon.

Reverse psychology can't save you now

agree

w-what will the scaruffi drone inside me say?

>Lerche has a wonderful voice and a knack for songwriting, even if the songs really don't make a lasting impression on me.
that's why I prefer Jens Lekman

>Thats a lotta black doods.
right, only 5 female artists :/
Worst: I just checked my top 50 favorites albums, and only 7 female musicians are listed, including 4 transwomen kek

>Jens Lekman
yeah, nothing Lerche does can hit me like "Maple Leaves", which is why i'm super hyped for Night Falls Over Kortedala.

Good one.

8/10 nice drums

New cassettes are in!!! :^D

The band remastered the album for this release and it sounds fucking DOPE.
Real spooky hours, so glad this got in before cassette store day

punchbowlrecords.com/store/p3/The_Snuggalos_-_Hocus_Opus_//_Cassette_Tape_PB-03.html

even if it's basically a compilation of singles,
When I Said I Wanted to Be Your Dog > Falls Over Kortedala ;)

top-tier band name, i gotta check this out

oh you're so silent jens>both of them even though i haven't heard either of them...

holy shit this is just as good as moondog (1969)

Just got back from a good weekend away today, sorry if I took too long for any recs in tourns, will check back now.

if i'd waited a few more days i would have got this while getting the even oxen tape. came home to it today btw, thanks man.

What's some interesting punk (including subgenres here too, and also post-punk) that will make my ears wallow in amazement ?

I've been digging the No Wave scene in search for this but most stuff is pretty shitty due to the technical disability of the pperformers in most cases

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it!

also I'll prolly do some kind of discount thing for cassette store day weekend

>looking for technical ability in punk let alone no wave
Wew lad

Try Nomeansno - Wrong
Post Regiment - s/the
World Domination Enterprises - Let's Play Domination
Jack Ruby - Hit & Run

No, no, i'm not looking for technical ability, just interesting stuff.
That bit meant that basically most No Wave stuff is recorded with a potato, but it's still great nonetheless I love it even if it didn't produce many acts in retrospect.

Thanks for those, I only heard Wrong nd it was tight.

I'm waiting for the debate and drinking and I need some outsider house or accessible techno, can anyone help me?:)
Any other party suitable music is good too I guess

I gotchu

also maybe Inhalants' s/t?

really a lot of LIES releases are good

shit i thought i was the only one that edited that cover

Thanks

Dude your taste is trash shut up

Thanks man

>Foans - Frontier #SILK091
youtu.be/atihj_yw2Mw
youtu.be/8Cf6in3k_sE
youtu.be/W1Z1NVmyrQI

College is whack, yo.

Hopefully update on this sometime this week? idk

youtube.com/watch?v=49zQJqS5Gdo

Duster - Contemporary Movement (2000)
>slowcore

Stratosphere was apparently like catching lightning in a bottle, because this is definitely a lesser successor. They adopt a more harder-edged indie rock style here, pushing most of the spacey slowcore to the side in favor of more distorted guitars and a heavier emphasis on vocals. This is not really a good thing. The guitars are nice, but sometimes seem like they don't fit the structure or the general sound of the songs. The vocals, on the other hand, I don't really like at all, it's a good thing they were pushed so far back on Stratosphere. The songs themselves are also a bit lesser, they don't really go anywhere and they don't have the same kind of impact the songs on Stratosphere have, save for the wonderful "Cooking". Despite all this, the subtlety of the record does work wonders, and Duster has a great sound, even if they're doing more MOR indie rock.

2.5+

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking EP
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the_jesus_and_mary_chain/some_candy_talking_e_p__f4/
Sorry if I'm too late.

Is your RYM right that you've not listened to The Velvet Underground? If not I rec The Velvet Underground & Nico
Again, sorry if I'm too late.

Cool I'll keep it in mind.

>99% of /daily/ rated LRD, Fishmans and Keiji Haino for the first time in 2016

hey shamepai, could you up that Sayonara Ponytail album for me?

anyway

Royal Trux - Twin Infinitives (1990)
>noise rock, experimental rock

The biggest clusterfuck of an album I've ever heard. It's never /really/ terrible, and some tracks are actually decently groovy in a noise freakout way, but this just sounds like the music I'd make with my friends, and I mean that in the worst possible way. I've heard this get compared to Trout Mask Replica often, but TMR is so deliberate in how off-the-wall it is, this literally is just a few people noodling on instruments for 70 minutes. There's a certain charm in that, yes, but it's just so tiring and there's really nothing worthwhile here, at least in my eyes. This album should be a batshit crazy, unpredictable racket, but it ends up being an overlong slog.

0.5+

dumb frogposter

Clearly it's the 8th best album of all time.

Nice write ups.
I kind of get what you mean about Lerche. It's reality difficult for me to put into words why he's my favorite apart from his melodies and chord selections. It's almost to where I think he could go in any number of stylistic directions and I'd still be on board. It's just what I want to hear.
I also think it's worth mentioning (and this is the biggest ever daily cliche) that repeated listens improve it. Initially, I thought much of his music seemed basic because all of it was slightly off whatever expectations I might have had, but for that reason, becoming familiar with it was very rewarding. A gentle, pop oriented expansion of horizons, in a comfy and lovestruck (or heartbroken) setting.
I suppose, after writing that, I can see why much of daily has been uninterested. We listen to lots of avant garde, experimental things, so something that only very gently subverts expectations is comparatively uninteresting in that regard.

Nice write ups.
I kind of get what you mean about Lerche. It's reality difficult for me to put into words why he's my favorite apart from his melodies and chord selections. It's almost to where I think he could go in any number of stylistic directions and I'd still be on board. It's just what I want to hear.
I also think it's worth mentioning (and this is the biggest ever daily cliche) that repeated listens improve it. Initially, I thought much of his music seemed basic because all of it was slightly off whatever expectations I might have had, but for that reason, becoming familiar with it was very rewarding. A gentle, pop oriented expansion of horizons, in a comfy and lovestruck (or heartbroken) setting.
I suppose, after writing that, I can see why much of daily has been uninterested. We listen to lots of avant garde, experimental things, so something that only very gently subverts expectations is comparatively uninteresting in that regard.

I feel weird about comparing Lerche & lekman. They're both wonderful, but Lerche is my favorite, and I find it easier to explain why I like lekman. I wish he was more prolific.

As for deep jew, that's a pretty infrequent listen for me, but I feel like it's a good indicator of my taste since I'm rooting around in that genre-space somewhat regularly

Could've seen that coming from a mile away

Nice write ups.

I see the unfinished version without my trip posted even though it didn't seem to

memes aside a vast majority of scaruffi's top albums are actually really great, i've gotta listen to the big ones i'm not familiar with (parable of arable land, zen arcade, third, fire of love).

it's also really shocking to me that he has a springsteen album on his top list, doesn't seem like something he'd like.

>becoming familiar with it was very rewarding
i totally get it! it seems like an album i could fall back on after a shitty day or something i'd listen to while cuddling with my gf. it's comforting and gentle, and i admire it for that, it's just really unmemorable and safe, at least to me.

are you alright

but yeah, deep jew was a pretty interesting listen, but i could never see myself revisiting it that often. speaking of that genre-space, you a dead infection fan?

>it's just really unmemorable and safe, at least to me.
I guess it struck some sympathy in me that compelled me to relisten, make it memorable. I'm glad I did, and was pleased to find that it did all the work.
I think safe is good sometimes. It kind of makes Lerche the perfect fallback for me when I'm exploring weird new stuff, I always have this great, cozy music to sing along or feel sad with. Traveling is great, but sometimes you need to be home.

>speaking of that genre-space, you a dead infection fan?
Never heard of them. What would you call them?

>Traveling is great, but sometimes you need to be home.
i feel ya, elliott smith is that artist for me.

>What would you call them?
goregrind to the extreme, just check out this fucking album cover.

what's the anime album cover?

near the bottom left? Sayonara Ponytail - Seishun Fantasia (at least i think that's the album title).

Ahhh so that's what that album is!
Yeah I'm not sure about goregrind. It's so over the top, and the actual gargling vocals are pretty revolting haha. Closest to that vocal style I really enjoy is Abominable Putridity.

yeah, i'm not really into goregrind myself either, but that album is just so over-the-top it's incredible. and the guitars are filthy as hell.

T r i p s

I might look in to it some time
That is, listen to a few seconds on youtube, probably get frustrated, and turn it off

Good Morning /daily/!

Flying back home today because of some government issues for a day. Gonna be a smooth short work day :)

Gonna listen to something now. Probably Depeche Mode.

Tonight before I fall asleep I'm going to listen to either
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside you,
The Residents - Not Available,
The Residents - Mark of the Mole
or
Dopesmoker again for the third time.

Which one should it be Cred Forums?

Цyкop Бiлa Cмepть - Maнipнa Myзикa (Manirna Muzyka) (1990)
>avant-prog

I like this a lot more than I thought I would, honestly. Very spastic and weird, of course, but grounded a lot in some very pretty string sections and a general tendency to focus on the etheral textures of the band as a whole rather than individual instruments. The entire "Шicть кopaльoвих гacпидiв" series of sorts is gorgeous, and definitely the high point of the album. The rest can be hit or miss. I think it repeats motifs too often and sometimes devolves into pure noodling, but there's still a sense of cohesion and enough changes to keep things fresh that prevents the whole thing from falling apart or becoming too repetitive. I can dig it.

3.0-

that's the spirit!

morning doggo! which DM album?

I usually just listened to their singles but since my gf is a fanatic that took me to Depeche Mode bar here and I felt like a total pleb I decided to start with their first album and go forward from there.

nighty night

leaves turn inside you!

but dopesmoker and not available are certainly good choices

Good night!

ah nice, i haven't listened to any of their albums besides violator but that one's good. have fun!

I rated everything in 2016.
What now frogboy?

% of /daily/ rated LRD, Fishmans and Keiji Haino for the first time in 2016
Jokes on you, I haven't listened to ANY of them!

wow Kubera's name sure looks strange with Italian lettering

Kindred is sooooo goooood

>I haven't listened to any of their albums other than Violator
And there are two (arguably 3) albums of theirs better than that one
Get on it boyo

Mind telling us said albums

Music for the Masses and Construction Time Again

Ty

>Madlib - Mind Wreck Shoh

Thanks to whoever recc'ed me this.

It was kinda amazing. It was like listening to 10 different albums at the same time but it didn't sound disjointed.

It sounds like Avalanches but more psychedelic, very cool samples and production. And even if it doesn't have so much psychedelic signatures it still has a psychedelic-esque feeling.

9/10

Glad you enjoyed it man, I was hoping you would! Pretty wild album, especially coming from a dude who started as a normal hip-hop producer. He produced stuff like Madvillainy though so it's no surprise he went completely psychedelic on Brain Wreck. Might be one of his best albums imo

I just found a girl that totally looks like Mia Khalifa wtf

bump wew
gonna listen to one album and the EP off, aim to get started on the next round of me tourney

I bet on myself

Pretty gud haul from second hand shop, 50c each.

I really enjoy the fact that no one else in Östersund seems to care about folk music. I don't have to get to the thrift shop immediately when they open to fight with hipsters over records, I can just go whenever and find a bunch of records almost for free.

where can i find it?

Finished my chart. Most highlights were definitely in the post-punk department, but funk had a few gems to offer as well. The free improv stuff was rather lackluster, too much wank and pointless noodling for me (especially Kaoru Abe). I'll start with...

... this in the near future.

YouTube

will do

there is a /lot/ of good stuff on there, have fun!

Damn that's cheap, is that from a record shop or an all around second hand shop?

but doesn't it get a bit lonely?

No, feels great man.

what do the so-called hipsters in östersund listen to?

your favorite bands

Silvana Imam, Zara Larsson and Panda da Panda. Stuff like that you know. I think it's more or less the same everywhere. Really "safe" but "obscure" indie pop.

And I think "tropical house" is really on the rise.

They also love going to a reastaurant called "jazzköket" (literally: jazz kitchen) but I doubt any of them listens to anything other than "Coltrane, Miles, the list goes on..."

damn

those just look like mainstream pop acts. do "hipsters" really listen to them?

i can imagine what that restaurant is like
sounds horrible

>do "hipsters" really listen to them?
Yes, "hipsters" really do. Hipsters are mainstream now.

>i can imagine what that restaurant is like
>sounds horrible
It's actually pretty comfy. They've got good decor and decent food, but the service is mediocre and the crowd that gathers there is kind of embarrassing. You know, the entire place feels like it's trying so hard to please a "cool" crowd, so it doesn't feel genuine at all. It wants to cater to the people who think "jazz bars" sound cool, but would never go to one since they don't listen to jazz.

yeah that sounds exactly like how i imagined it to be.
we have a similar place in copenhagen called "kind of blue", definitely a place for 25+ year olds who think jazz is classy

It's a shame
They're only in the jazz game
Only for the money and the fame

>only
>only
doesnt sound good

trips are good though

Oh, it's supposed to be "niggaz in the jazz game".

That's more like it

Coneheads - Canadian Cone
It's a devo rip off but a good one, there's a load of energy here

Jesus and the Mary Chain - Some Candy Talking EP
2 tracks from Psychocandy which are fine and one other tacked on the end, which is a banger
the last track saves it

so co wins, gibe an album rec for next round

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
It's fine, but it doesn't really do anything for me, It's nice knowing that there is a precedent for the more modern songstresses, Joanna Newsom and Fiona Apple to name some, but it feels awfully derivative all the same despite predating both

Infidel/Castro? - Bioentropic Damage Fractal (wew lad, those are some edgy names right there)
It's alright, couldn't decide if the ambient parts were actually impressive or were just masquerading as impressive and were in fact cheesy (I still can't decide, whatever they are, they are effective), the chopped and screwed bits I wasn't too crazy on, I kept thinking 'oh how post-modern' most of the time, can't think why, could get around the bits where it sounded a bit metal, those bits were cool

Transcendental meme lord wins

>Tori Amos
>derivative

I mean you can say its bad, I'm ok with that, but derivative???

Ayy, good taste. I've listened to that EP so many times. Their other EPs are also pretty fun, but each loses a bit more energy.

And here's my rec

What does it mean if an album is 'hard to get into'?

It's shit, but if you force yourself hard enough you can actually pretend to enjoy it for indie cred.

It could be an album all on it's own in style, it's hard at first to grasp. But, once you do you 'get into' it.

Or it could be shit, whatever your taste

Probably what hampus said, but TMR is actually good

It could be that it's subtle music though. Nearly fell asleep first time I listened to Basic Channel, but absolutely fell in love with BCD-2 when I listened again a few months later.

>Probably what hampus said
Isn't it always?

The record with the girl covering her face is a fucking disco record lmao. I expected pop, but not like this.

I don't intend it as a slight on the album, there are some really good fragments of melodies there

is it nice "ethnic" disco?

Not even, one track was sung in English. Only listened to one side.

at least it's obscure, you can get some cred if you put it on the playlist for a uni disco night or something

But then I'd have to rip it and my soundcard is shiet.

after all release date is just a number ;)

next album.

They're no from Psychocandy though. Where can i register my formal complaint? I feel I've been cheated.

It means it includes non conventional elements that your brain rejects at first due the mere exposure effect, or your tendency to prefer things you're used to.
These may take a few listens for your brain to get accustomed to, and in no way is it related to how good or bad an album is (despite the retards who claim you're 'forcing' liking it, or that say they're superior because they've overcome the threshold of enjoyment).

Of course there's a version of kalinka on the Russian record. Is there ever not?

pic related, top row
ah man, I'm real tired, the youtube clips had psychocandy as the background image

don't break your arm jerkin' yourself off there

my earphones just died on me, gonna get a new pair tomorrow, but in fairness I can't rate anything else tonight

>not playing metal through your speakers

you'll never be kvlt at this rate

well it IS a great tune
youtube.com/watch?v=78rBOGrbeRo

Thanks

fine, listen to this:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kjeld/skym/

>BC
techno shouldn't be this boring
shit it has some really great morments but overall it is extremely boring

heh

just Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain

RRRRRRRRRRIDE THE DRAGON TOWARD THE CRIMSON EYEEEE

Is /daily/ finally dead?

>mfw Dekmantel Fest is coming to Brazil
Hell yeah niggas I'll be there

Also just checking, was any of you guys who reccomended me Ausmuteants? Or a russian band called Buerak? i'm going hrough old zips on my downloads folder and some of them are great but I can't for the life of me remember where did I get them.

Yes.

I'm glad to hear that. I was a bit worried at first but it seems that everything is going ok.

PINK WIG THICK ASS GIVE EM WHIPLASH

This is really fucking good
Thanks user for the rec

Damn Kanye should run for president
Look at the size of those hands

take a look at these hands

Not the first black man to have claimed to say that.

I hope they find him dead by tomorrow overdosed on heroin with two underage whores crying on his naked body

the new danny brown is good

hands of a government man

Edgy.

Smooth.

Trips.

did you ever listened to xxx?

yeah like a long long time ago, I remember I liked it but I really need to relisten to it cuz I don't remember shit

expect my write-up to just be the fire emoji repeated 50 times

why not keepin it one hundred tho?

We have a Cred Forums kik group for real time bantz if anyones interested

Pic related

kik.me/g/J3lEL00VkG2e8zydIUAIlNo8cIo

Yay finished my tourney and Anonymousé won! I'm already droning him/her, so I guess that's it.

Thanks for participating :)

Also made a start with this, which I'm gonna do alongside the anonymouse/hampus drone.

Is that Tim Buckley I see

Pepe is on the ADL hate symbol list. It is LITERALLY a hate crime to frogpost.

Music for this feel?

nah, can't be, I only listen to jazz and classical

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (2016)
>experimental hip hop, hardcore hip hop

Brown's most fully-realized work so far, and there's no doubt in my mind that this will be considered his magnum opus. In the context of Brown's discography, this is definitely a continuation of his XXX sound, with dark, moody production coupled with that idiosyncratic flow and a whole lot of vulgar, sexual lyrics. However, a lot of this hits harder than XXX, with songs like "Really Doe" (featuring the album's best feature in Earl Sweatshirt) and "Ain't It Funny" taking a lot of influence from Old's dirtier, more punchy sound. Basically, this fucking bangs. I already gave high praise to "When It Rain" when it dropped as a single, but a song like "Pneumonia", which I didn't like much by itself, fits /so/ well in the context of the album, the album as a whole flows so damn well. Another cool facet of the production here is that the Joy Division reference (well, the Ballard reference) of the title permeates into the music, with the production taking a lot of rhythmic and atmospheric cues from post-punk and just dark, moody rock music in general. Some tracks do miss their mark pretty hard, however, like the disjointed and tame "Rolling Stone" and the fucking stupid "Get Hi", and I still really don't like Brown's tendency to get /way/ too vulgar, but this is about as good as fucked-up hip hop gets.

3.0+

>townes
>tim buckley
>screw
>player 1 & bloody bones
>art ensemble of chicago
>moondog

godDAMN

oh my god you're not joking this is fucking rich

I haven't forgotten this btw, going to get back into it soon.

In the meantime, I think I'm falling for someone I've only just met, music for this feel please. need to get it out of my system.

No worries pal.

>tfw i know that feel
>tfw i am seeing her again today
>tfw she is dating someone else
>tfw he is probably way more handsome, taller and fitter than me, and smarter maybe
>tfw

intestinal disgorge.

I've met a few cool people here, but this campus is littered with normies. Ironically, my least favorite class is a music-related class where the professor was playing a Schubert piece and when asked to comment on the emotions it conveyed and why someone said it "sounded like a sad Sam Smith song." Unbelievable.

Anyways here's the last couple weeks. I'd like to speed back up to about 1 album a day but I'm not sure if that'll be happening.

This place has really slowed down since I've taken a break. Where y'all @??

normies are cool
kind of
maybe
well all of my friends are normies

I showed my ethnomusicology professor the meme Molam album today, we discussed it and it actually sounds much closer to Lam Sing, the modernized version of traditional north highland Thai folk music.
She got a laugh out of it though

"Electric molam" the fake Rateyourmusic genre name actually sounds buttfuck nothing like molam molam so it makes sense that it is closer to a different thing.

I think they might be synonymous, as upon further research there are many performances dubbed "Molam Sing" so perhaps it's a subgenre or a derivative?
Also then again Lam Sing has been around since the 40s so the evolution of its sound has been pretty drastic.

I am finally through the class conflict clusterfuck and I can finally take a breath. Wew.
Almost shit myself walking home after my test today. Take a few minutes and plan an emergency route.
Expect at least one Coltrane tonight.

Fisho!
Are you jizzing in lots of female fish's egg nests?

>normies are cool

yee.

Excite 4 cole-train

>meme Molam album
?
i'm curious now

>"sounded like a sad Sam Smith song."
that's fucking golden

anyway, how's college treating you fishy?

>monrakplengthai.blogspot.com/2010/03/khana-rung-thawi-hae-sot-dontri-phuen.html
The guy who originally uploaded it called it "phin sing"

I was under the impression Molam was just another transliteration for "Mor lam", as in "Mor lam sing". Also, I don't think the album is too far off from mor lam sing from what I've heard, but then again, I'm no expert. RYM should definitely have more distinct genres for Thai music though.

Where you been? Check out the above link

yeah it was really quite something. That class is actually much bigger than I thought actually.

It's alright. I like most of my classes but I wish there were more clubs than "diversity/socjus club #438" or sports clubs and shit. I might start DJing the radio there which might be fun. I've met a handful of cool people, but not nearly enough. Enjoying it decently so far.

>I might start DJing the radio there which might be fun.
that is like the #1 thing i want to try and do when i go to college next year, have fun if ya do it.

I think that's right, Mor Lam Sing is the name for a broad term describing a more modernized, fast-paced version of a type of Thai traditional music known as Lam Klawn. Molam must just be a bastardization of Mor Lam.

idk what Phin Sing would be, perhaps a subgenre of Mor Lam Sing? The only references I can find are to Khun Narin's Electric Phin Band

Everyone's getting hard-ons over the new Danny Brown album, so I figure it's a good a time as ever to listen to XXX and then maybe Old. I'm honestly kind of nervous about a 54-minute hip hop album with only two features, but it's been a long time coming any way.

Not sure, but if anyone, I think the guy with the blog would be the most informed

...b-but I like this meme album!

[spoiler] everybody does [/spoiler]

see top right

i haven't listened to Old in it's entirety (soon, i swear), but XXX is solid for a long modern hip hop album. super disjointed with some filler, but the rapping is consistently exhilirating as fuck and the samples are incredible, "Aderall Admiral"'s This Heat sample in particular.

but like holy shit Atrocity Exhibition is 10 times the album it is.

>10 times the album it is
I'm hype

Old is weaker for the most part but the highs, are REALLY high, Kush Coma is the best thing he's ever done for example

Wow, I don't even know if I liked XXX right now but I'm hype.
I'm gonna listen to Old too then

Drop from the future bringing that avg. rating

>mfw you check last.fm page for the thai-written name and Even Oxen is one of the related artists

He's also related to Hans Krusi.

Really makes you think.

A shirt perfect for both bacon and furry conventions!

Bang on a Can - Bang on a Can Live, Volume 1 (1992)
>totalism

Really takes quite some time to get going, and by that I mean it starts off /terribly/. "Failing: A Very Difficult Piece for String Bass" is an interesting concept, and Tom Johnson is obviously a talented bassist, but something about the piece itself and the comedic aspect of it is really grating. "Evening Chant" is just absolutely dreadful, it sounds like someone fucking around in GarageBand with some samples of grunting, I don't think I've heard a more irritating piece of music in my entire life. Luckily, it makes a pretty drastic turn in the right direction after this into more maximalist classical territory. There are still certain elements I don't quite like, mainly Michael Gordon's piece (shocking, considering how much I love Decasia), but a lot of it really is quite pretty, enjoyable to listen to, and technically and compositionally wonderful.

2.5+

Destroyer - Your Blues (2004)
>chamber pop, indie pop

A bit more idiosyncratic than I figured it would be, and this works both for and against this album. A lot of the MIDI synths here are somewhat cheesy, and Bejar's songwriting drifts off into pure tunelessness at points, even when he can obviously write a great melody, but there's a really obvious charm to this album that I think is masked by these elements I don't like. Bejar's polarizing voice is really lovely to me, he's got so much conviction, and the barer, more acoustic tracks are really pretty. Not totally on board with this, but it's got a lot of elements I like.

WHAT ARE YOU MEMES LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW

this lad h4ller.bandcamp.com/
been hunting bandcamp for more artists to put out and I think he may meet the criteria

also once more calling for Shamepai to up that Sayonara Ponytail album.

re-listening to atrocity exhibition and realizing that when it rain is absolutely among the best hip-hop songs i've ever heard

Waiting for my beer to get cold before boarding the cole train. Forgot to re-stock :8(

Sounds marginally interesting, I'll be sure to never listen to it!

Blowing through the Danny B core discography

From first listen of each, XXX was good, Old was mixed, Atrocity Exhibition so far is pretty dope but I'm only two tracks in

NO Goddammit, I'm not being rused into listening to 'new hot' meme rap again.
Message me in 2019 if you still think it's good and maybe I'll give it a listen.

aight i'll make sure to remember

Don't skip Hot Soup and Black & Brown

Another great write-up. Dan really has a truly remarkable knack for putting together a great melody.

except Danny Brown is legit good, you should know this already.
this is coming from someone completely detached from the kendrick/future/travis scott/desiigner/kanye hype trains
in fact most of those artists are garbage.

If you like really dark, post-punky, goofy ass beats, and fucked up senses of humor you should really listen to it

Every time I listen to a new album, I discover 3 more that I really want to listen to.
It's hard to convince me to listen to something I'm just not that interested in. It's why I don't do listen alongs, tourneys, or take recs.

Is it similar to XXX? I hated that fucking album.

I mean, people still talk about XXX and Old by Danny Brown and they were released 5 and 3 years ago, so why would it be so far fetched to think he put out another fantastic album? Don't be so quick to judge. I haven't listened to it in full, but the singles When It Rain and Pneumonia have got me hyped beyond fucking belief.

Also, how the fuck did you hate XXX? I can understand maybe not liking it, but hating it is just being brash.

If you aren't going to listen to it in the first place why complain about it?
>hated XXX
don't listen to AE
also bad taste in Hip Hop

I listened to it once a year ago so I can't launch into an off-the-cuff diatribe without spouting out 50 inaccuracies, but I do recall the lyrics being terrible and cliche, and the album being boring overall.
Keep in mind I have yet to explore and enjoy hiphop other than a few odds and ends, which I'm sure I will one day. Right now, I'll stick to what interests me presently.

(sicc pigg btw)

What's some good house cleaning music?

>If you aren't going to listen to it in the first place why complain about it?
Because I like arguing on the internet??

same

Peter fox- stadtaffe
Have fun

finally someone used that!

As much as I disagree with your opinion on XXX, at least you are honest and fair with your views and I respect that. And thanks, I was pretty happy with that pig pic find. What's your album of the year so far, by the way? Just out of genuine curiosity, not so I can use it as some kind of bullshit ammo against you in an argument like some of the people on Cred Forums like to do.

>there are an infinite number of real numbers between any two real numbers

I've probably only listened to a handful of 2016 albums; I don't care to keep super up to date with new music so long as I'm finding new music I enjoy. I will prioritize artists I like or am interested in, though.

Favourite so far is either Arrayed Above The Seraphim Lights or Skeleton Tree.

at this point I'm pretty sure that roughly 5% of all posts are made my an algorithm unleashed by the NSA to collect and mimic social media traffic

John Coltrane - Impressions

Coltrane’s ability to seamlessly incorporate new influences is astounding. The 14-minute opener, India, evokes Indian and folk music styles while staying true to the core improvisational jazz structure. The rhythm works the listener into a trance, while the horns screech and cry in the foreground, favouring expression over preciseness. The other long live piece, Impressions, is in the same vein with a little more blues flavour. Reggie Workman’s bass playing is particularly stunning in this piece, contributing every bit as much as Coltrane on this cacophonous flurry of sound.

The second two pieces are shorter studio pieces, and should be mentioned separately. Again we see a disjointed Coltrane release with mismatched songs rather than a complete album statement. Up ‘Gainst The Wall and After The Rain are both great tracks in their own right, but feel diminished by the context of following a live titan of a track. Despite this, After The Rain is an excellent closer, and easily the best of the studio tracks. It has a very shimmery, polished feel while still sounding like a profound connection to a higher power. The notes are carefully selected and resonate deeply. Up ‘Gainst The Wall has Coltrane reverting back to hard bop, in which he sounds bored and uninspired.

The crashing relentless drumming style on this set is insane, and a little much at times especially with respect to drowning out other musicians. This gives each piece a wall of sound which some musicians struggle to climb over and build upon. The live set obviously leads to a less controlled mix, but the end result is still unsatisfactory. Dolphy is a monster on the live set, and his appearance forces the best out of Coltrane. The individual tracks peak at phenomenal, but as a complete statement the album fails to reach the same heights.

7.5 /10

>he's only pretty sure
stay ignorant, sheep

all posters are SDC except for me and you

I really need to finish that Even Oxen album, it looks amazing. I still really need to get into Nick Cave. And I get you, I've been mainly discovering older stuff or just catching up with stuff I wanted to listen to in 2015, but didn't have a chance to. 2016 has been decently meh, for me so far this year, it's had a lot of highs and lows, musically, but at least the highs are pretty fucking high (Bottomless Pit by Death Grips, Wriggle by Clipping., Double Ecstasy by ANTWON). I still really need to listen to Splendor & Misery.

Have you heard any Nick Cave? A good starting point would be Tender Prey, Let Love In and No More Shall We Part.
If you want to jump into Skeleton Tree i'd suggest listening to his previous album, Push The Sky Away beforehand.

Listening toPlastic Beach for first time
It is actually so good holy shit
Why didn't I listen to this earlier most of the Gorillaz songs I like are on it

>Inb4 t. Reddit

idk how you think that, I definitely feel that it's the weakest out of the first 3 Gorillaz albums.
There are 3 really good songs on Plastic Beach, Stylo, Superfast Jellyfish, and On Melancholy Hill. The rest is pretty forgettable and stale, not to mention I think a lot of the features were either underutilized, or just plain misused.
What do you see in it?

wtf I'm gay now

Hi-NRG is dope
check this out rateyourmusic.com/release/album/videosex/videosex_84/

opinions on punk "music"?

opinions on "punk" music?

"opinions" on punk music?

opinions "on" punk music?

opinions on punk music"?"

yeah it sucks

Love these reviews man, it's interesting to see your perspective on all these Trane albums. A few in here I need to catch up on myself so it's nice to hear what someone else has to say.

it's bad
punk is metal-tier bad
post-punk is for fedoras
art punk is just punk but with high school poetry tier lyrics and the songs are longer

7/10

>post-punk is for fedoras
love post punk can confirm

Thanks dude, I'm having fun doing it!
This is easily the longest I've carried through with a single chart. Seeing his evolving style and incorporation of new elements is very cool and makes doing this worthwhile for me.
And it's only just starting to get interesting!

pig rest

>7/10
Would the score have gone up or down if I added ha ha oh wow lol memes all over it?

needs a thinking emoji

good call

7.5/10

Did ruggles die? I miss him.

Good Morning /daily/!

At home, Ape of Naples got here yesterday. Feels nice.

Gonna listen to Danny Brown's new album, hoping it is a BANGER

Me too :(

Good morning!
Am listening to frank ocean again on my way to work :)

The Blonde album? did you like it?

Yeah I like it very much, can't stop listening to 'Ivy' especially

Last scores for this round

Marxman - 33 Revolutions Per Minute
There are some real corkers here, Honey I Love You Now, Ship Ahoy, Theme From Marxman and Father Like Son to name them, but the beats are cheesy, the flow overly simplistic and there is too much 90s kitch for me
The fusion of Irish folk and sik beats is not one that is supposed to work, but it does under circumstances.

McCoy Tyner - Time for Tyner
this is kinda alright

Aqam wins, need a rec

Test.

plus points for spawning post-hardcore, trancecore, mathcore, cybergrind, that kinda shit

a lot of it fails me just because of the raw, trebly production. especially early pop punk. i mean if youre gonna hammer out simple-ass riffs like that make sure they pack as much punch as possible. like i like black metal but

i may have underestimated this album in the past. i love how melodic and mournful it sounds while still retaining some hardcore influences. thoughts?

i don't see anything qt about her tbf

Are you gay?

qt =/= hot
being cute is cute, having your tits hanging out really isn't

>All the symbols depicted here must be evaluated in the context in which they appear. Few symbols ever represent just one idea or are used exclusively by one group.

>this campus is littered with normies.
What the literal flying fuck did you expect?

>someone said it "sounded like a sad Sam Smith song."
Literally nothing wrong with this comment, everyone has different perceptions based on previous expriences.

New Danny Brown is like a psychedelic version of XXX with a budget. Surprisingly great.

what do you think of the new danny brown?

My first thought is "why the fuck would I listen to Danny Brown?"

Because XXX is good

You should always just call anything like it "thai funk", just to be safe.

See

Well dogwander likes it

Yes, and?

He has nice taste

>Molam must just be a bastardization of Mor Lam.
No, it's a different transliteration of literally the same word.

>youtube.com/watch?v=XGRCvIhqWpg
For the life of me I can't decide if you're being serious
I mean, I already said that--I think he got the concept but missed that specific bit

You're a bastardized version of someone with good taste

All me btw.

I think im gonna make it friends
It's not as exciting a feeling as I thought it would be
Feels weird
The people around me aren't the people I thought would be around me for all of this progress in my life
Its gonna be good.
I don't know if i even wanna make it though. I guess I do, but really I just want to finish this one concept album that documents my life through this past year and make some music videos. That's about it

is this my nigga yamir?

>Waiting for DT770 until friday
Music for this feel?

a pepe is not a hate symbol a pepe wearing a nazi armband could be considered one but thats just cause the armband is a hate symbol

including the pepe itself as a hate symbol is retarded.

:)

Yes.

OH SNIBETY SNAP

Pepe is clearly a hate symbol regarldess of context and anyone posting pepe is a serious deathnazi.

Did the retake of that subject you passed but didn't do so well in work out? Congrats with yr gf btw, cool tv

>Did the retake of that subject you passed but didn't do so well in work out?
Biopsych? Got an A so didn't need to retake. Unfortunately the final grade is also based on an assignment that went to fucking shit.

>Congrats with yr gf btw
??

>cool tv
Yeah it's pretty neat actually. It's fucking massive. Apparently this model has some issues with clouding on the panel, but it's barely even noticable so I'm happy. It was fairly cheap.

friends are overrated desu

no ok this i can agree with

>that Minimal Synth on subgenre
Downloading right the fucking now

MAN IS THE ANIMAL
I should probably stop being so lazy and scour the archives for a link, haven't listened to AE either

Coolcool, I thought the tv was for some achievement by your gf which I can't remember, hence the congratulations

"make it, friends" not "make friends" btw

Ah, nah. I just bought the TV for myself.

Cool :) guess I can't decipher Swedish as well as I thought

don't you dare
she's top qt

If fake tits and barely existant underwear are "qt" to you, Congratulations, you played yourself

Actually this is not qt, this is horrible. Her last photo was kinda ok tho.

oh, you like her kawaii side more?

How is this related to music?

How are you related to music nerdface?

It clearly isn't, I never stated that
Is this not the thread for random shitposting?

u got it

a DOG!

Very good posts.

best post ITT

7/10

5/10

This image gives me the willies!

3/10

6/10

5/10

so uh, what us some good chiptune? i'm listening to Bansheebeat and it's kind of cool
fuck off
that girl isn't qt
and you remind me of bad stuff

fuck and breed my tight muscle ass (always wanted to say that, lol)

nice cover

what is this called

Pokemon Gold OST

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/うさぎのへいたいは待機/架空的すみやか-kakuuteki-sumiyaka/

pic

yo why do both of her legs fits entirely beneath her hips it's freaking me out

Yes, this is dog.

aren't you an unreleased radiohead song tho?

I'm Thom Yorke's unzipped pants actually

lewd

She thin

Yup.

I'll go sleep now. Watch after my memes for me please

i'm reviewing two merzdiscs, does it count?

Yes

>music
>good

jeff mills live at the liquid room

no it's not

Last for dad

last for this thing