So, those guys. Let's talk about them

So, those guys. Let's talk about them.

Why has Queen always been so polarizing? It's kinda tempting to reproach all the hate on some contrarianism because "hurr people think Freddie Mercury is le epic therefore I hate them", but I feel there's more to that. They've always been despised by critics, yet kept building up and up until they were one of the most widely appealing bands of all time.

Anyway, what do you think about Queen? Do you only know them by their hits, are you into their album? What's your favorite songs, albums, etc? Is Bohemian Rhapsody truly the most overplayed song in the history of pop music, or is that Another One Bites The Dust?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w7wnyDBr-9M
youtube.com/watch?v=X1vykAV7EM8
youtube.com/watch?v=yfDBtjl_mbg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Queen is a good band, and Freddy is definitely one of the best vocalists in rock music. Though they weren't exactly an artsy band in the same vein as some post-punk or proto-punk acts at the time, so some of the more pretentious music fans tend to write them off as pop nonsense.

They're crap and most pop listeners are retards.

Next.

Queen is corny kitschy garbage. They're the musical equivalent of a pink flamingo statue in your front yard.

They have some amazing songs but their albums weren't consistent, i think that they had some heavy amounts of filler(well at least most of them).

this

And let me add that they had amazing synergy with each other.

I suppose the fact that they always presented themselves as a huge, glorious, magnificent thing didn't exactly help with that, yeah. Going out and singing "We Are The Champions" is pretty much the complete opposite of the punk mentality.

True. Their only album where I will never skip a song is A Night At The Opera - even Queen II has Funny How Love Is.

i like brian may's guitar sound, quite a lot actually
but they are cheesy as fuck

A night at the opera is their masterpiece, truly worth listening even if you don't like them.It won't disapoint.

I think they were more self-aware than most realize. They set out to make grandiose, flamboyant, utterly fucking ridiculous symphonic rock music. They succeeded.

Prince sort of had the same deal going on if you think about it. I'm going to duck for cover now.

just cuz they're self aware doesn't make it good. if i ironically shit on my lawn, is there still shit on my lawn?

No, but these guys weren't shit. People used to say this about the Bee Gees and ELO until they actually delved into the nuts and bolts of the music.

It is unfortunate how popular Queen is with 12 year old geeks and music theater mongs.

They're a pop band, and they knew it. Freddie is a showman, and showmen always know exactly what they're selling. Bohemian Rhapsody is a pop song with elements that deceive you into thinking that it's some high-art masterpiece. I find their music to be horribly boring. They are insanely repetitious.

The few instances where they aren't repetitious are very good though, and they're all very talented musicians.

I love the last one they did before Freddie died, think Innuendo is one of their best, can't stand headlong everytime I listen though

Queen II [EMI, 1974]

Wimpoid heavoid android no void. C-

The News of the World [EMI, 1977]

In which the group who last winter bought you a $7.95 LP to boycott devotes one side to the wantonness of women and the other to the doomed-to-life futile rebelliousness of the poor saps (those saps) (you saps!) who buy and listen. C-

Headlong and Delilah are the two tracks I can't really get into, but otherwise the album is amazing. Innuendo and I'm Going Slightly Mad are some of the best songs they ever did - and hell, it makes me wish we'd really gotten to hear them in the 90's.

>They are insanely repetitious
???
Apart from their period around Hot Space, I feel to see how someone could qualify Queen of being "repetitious". Precisely one of their appeal is that they constantly changed style, and they rarely ever did typical, repetitive 4-chords songs.

>his face
>calling anyone else "wimpoid"
He's still right

Queen were really really limited as instrumentalists. I mean, these guys sounded like 15 year olds who just got their first guitar and drum set.

>15 year olds who just got their first guitar
Nigger I'm not even big on Queen and I know that's not true at all. Brian May is great.

AIDS
I
D
S

Studio editing could partially cover it up, but their live performances really showed how limited they were.

Everything up to Jazz is GOAT. With the exception of Innuendo nobody needs anything after The Game.

tbqh Freddie was a fairly decent pianist

Queen gets an abmornal amount of praise due to Freddie Mercury's homosexuality (which isnt the reality seeing as how the "love of his life" was female). Anyways, they dont get nearly enough praise for their first 6 albums.

Queen - 10/10
Queen II - 10/10
Sheer Heart Attack - 9.5/10
A Night at the Opera - 8.5/10
A Day at the Races - 8/10
News of the World - 6.5/10
Jazz - 7.5/10
>Live Killers - 7/10
The Game - 6/10
Hot Space - 1/10
The Works - 5.5/10
A Kind of Magic - 5/10
Live at Wembley - 4.5/10
The Miracle - 6.5/10
Innuendo - 6/10
Made in Heaven - 3.5/10
Live at the Rainbow '74 - 9.5/10

H I V!
youtube.com/watch?v=w7wnyDBr-9M

The fuck are you guys even talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=X1vykAV7EM8
youtube.com/watch?v=yfDBtjl_mbg

Eh, there were still a couple good songs. It's A Hard Life is a great, classic-sounding song. The Miracle has a stupid outro & lyrics but some pretty interesting chords going on. Action This Day is actually a GOAT track.

Anyone who thinks Queen is a bad band sincerely has bad taste, or has never actually listened to them. It doesn't take much to recognize that they're all talented musicians, knew how to write fantastic hooks, and put on even better shows than Kiss, all while knowing 100% who they were, what they wrote, and who they wrote it for. They never tried too hard and nothing they ever made comes off as forced. Any degree of pretension or snobbery you pick up from Queen is 100% from its millennial fanbase who think Bohemian Rhapsody is anything other than a really good pop song. Looking unfavourably upon such a remarkably talented group of musicians for that reason alone makes you an even bigger pleb than the 12 year old who thinks Freddie Mercury is the greatest songwriter in rock history.