Deftones General

How does everyone feel about this album, specifically the mixing. I feel the drums are a little too low, and Chino's vocals are a little too high in the mix. also Deftones general.

Been a true Deftones fan since around the fur. I have loved every album since... With the exception of this one. Fuck. Diamond Eyes was spectacular! What happened?

It basically sucks.

Same here. Some tracks I feel are great tracks, but the overall mixing of this album kinda kills me. The one thing I love in every deftones album is the drums. I especially love Abe's punchy crisp snare, and it's not here!

They've been going downhill since Diamond Eyes.

Think the thing about Deftones is that they could be a lot better than they actually are but Chino doesn't seem to put much effort into coming up with the best vocal melodies possible for the songs. Sure, sometimes he just happens to get it right but a lot of the time it just sounds as if he's improvised the vocal melody completely and just stuck with whatever he came up with.

And the production on Gore is pretty awful, way too compressed.

I agree with your point regarding Chino's melodies especially because its such a vocal centeric record, and I feel like it was mixed like a modern hard rock record, and not a Deftones record.

Gore's super clunky overall, like a lot of the songs just dont compliment each other at all and it sounds like a jumbled collection of songs rather than a thought out album
still good overall, but def. one of their weaker albums

Funny considering diamond eyes is their best album

The snare on Around the Fur is amazing

Yeah the production is flat-out bad. The last chunk of the record is pretty great though. I LOVE & miss the drums here, but I kinda like the guitar that mostly sounds like it's holding back, almost like he's meditating on each groove

Their last album was a 10/10
This is a 3/10

What are some of everyone's favorite tracks from Gore. I like Doomed User, and gore. I like the heavier tracks on the album more than the more somber tracks.

Huge Deftones fan, I don't like the mixing on this album at all. Everything sounds so muddy. I really liked how Diamond Eyes and KnY felt very polished and clean.

OP here I say gore is 4/10 While Koi is an 8.5./10

My order of favorite deftones albums

Gore
Adrenalin
Around The Fur
Koi
Self Titled
Diamond Eyes
SNW
White Pony

gore is all I've heard but I like it and kinda surprised by the backlash

I don't think its terrible, however after hearing all that they have to offer the album just didn't do much for me. That and the fact that I don't like the mixing of the album as a whole is why I just don't really dig the album. It is not the best album since White Pony at all in my opinion.

it kinda sucked

koi no yokan was much better lads

Acid Hologram is a minute too long and the opening riff to Doomed User is rad, everything else is pretty bad. But when you peak with You've Seen the Butcher what can you do.

i think chino and stephen have a john and paul power struggle over creative direction in the band. I really dont want deftones to break up

I think Steph want to go in a more heavy and djenty direction. I don't necessarily think it would go over well.