Thoughts on Steven Wilson? Been trying to find prog that's similar, but it ends up feeling cheesy, cliche, or forced...

Thoughts on Steven Wilson? Been trying to find prog that's similar, but it ends up feeling cheesy, cliche, or forced. Something about his production quality and songwriting is hard to replicate in the prog.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VnTmMsxHUq0
youtu.be/AUR0ALUsnV4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love his work
Most of the board is mixed on him because Fantano likes him
Most albums by King Crimson are better though

I thought he was great when I was 15, but his music (in Porcupine Tree and elsewhere) just doesn't do much for me anymore

Fantano didn't review TRTRTS well at all (4-5)
He didn't really like HCE either

>likes
I mean to say hates damn

>Been trying to find prog that's similar, but it ends up feeling cheesy, cliche, or forced

Sounds like you've found similar prog then, ahahahaha ohohoho

But I guess the answer you want is Riverside and Lunatic Soul

I really love his first three solo records, but was severely disappointed by HCE.

Porcupine Tree is so-so, it's largely generic crossover prog with the possible exception of Up The Downstair.

Awful. He's everything wrong with progressive rock.

Kill yourself faggot
You have terrible taste in prog

Is he not lolsorandom enough 4 you?

This desu, neo-prog is cancer

He remastered Jethro Tull albums so he can't be that bad right?

His remastering work is excellent. Can't wait for Tales From Topographic Oceans and Skylarking in October.

>Tales From Topographic Oceans
Fuck Yes and especially that album. Even Rick Wakeman got sick of their shit after that album

It's a fantastic record with some of the best moments of their career. Yeah there's some padding, but not nearly as much as most people say.

why you included him in your prog chart

i don't really like his sol owork but porcupine tree is one of my favorite bands

Honestly I think he's massively overrated, he just apes King Crimson and occasionally Pink Floyd. I guess in terms of talent and technical skills he's fine but there are way more interesting prog acts. Even dreck like Coheed & Cambria at least have their own sound.

Porcupine Tree was better though.

>Skylarking
Can he beat Andy Partidge's 2014 remaster?

I think your getting Steven Wilson confused with Dream Theater.

Steven Wilson is not neo-prog you fucking retard

He's not Neo Prog
But yeah, he's awful modern prog

His remasterings are the only good thing he has done together with the early PT albums.

Because peer pressure from the cry babies at /prog/
They denounced my chart as not being "accurate" enough for not putting prog albums everybody knows about and aren't even worth it.

No, although I admit I like DT more than I should.

These
UtD is still masterpiece

relaxed question, why is he everything wrong with prog?
did you liked the last dt album?

Because he makes generic prog rock
I didn't listen to the last DT album

always i see your posts i wonder why you did choose such a pretentious name? you seem to be a nice perso

there isn't anything of him did you liked? you said early pt, of which albums are you talking about? the first two? first three?

Because someone else called me like that when I used to be an user and I ended up liking the name. I was way nicer when I started using the name though.

But SW likes Cardiacs youtube.com/watch?v=VnTmMsxHUq0

Liking an """original""" band =/= making original music

Yes, have liked some of his stuff, like Luminol, for example, but that song is still generic garbage.
I'm mostly talking about The Sky Moves Sideways.

That's cool, but he's still not worthy as a prog musician. He was only kind of worthy during The Sky Moves Sideways.

But...

Why is he not worthy? Memes, I don't like him are not valid arguments. I hope you answer and you're not just baiting.

That's pretty bad for him

Because he makes generic prog rock, therefore not worthy. I do like some of his stuff and I'm not baiting nor memeing.

I wish he would reunite with his Porcupine Tree bros
We need more mellow psychadelic prog metal

I don't think that he makes ''generic'' prog rock. And what do you exactly consider generic prog? I consider his work as symhonic prog first of all. He sounds nothing like King Crimson, ELP or Gentle Giant for example.

Well, he does, maybe you just haven't branched out enough from the entry level prog to realize.
His sound is very derivative of Red-era King Crimson, Genesis, and just the overall sound of early prog in general, kind of like Anglagard (although they were actually good).
He's obviously not going to be a clone, but he's still generic.

I've listened to everything from King Crimson, Zappa, Captain Beefheart to Can and Ornette Coleman. I still consider him a good musician and definitely a one worth listening too. I haven't listened to 4 1/2, but I really enjoyed Hand. Cannot. Erase and even saw him live in concert performing it in its entirety.

>I love prog
>my favorites? King Crimson, Can, the list could go on

>King Crimson, Zappa, Captain Beefheart to Can and Ornette Coleman.
All of them entry level as fuck and Coleman is irrelevant even at that.
You just haven't listened to much, I can tell you have been here for less than half a year, or less than a single year at most.
The guy above me sums it up pretty well.
He's not good, and even less worthy.

What are your favorites? Would like to hear some recommendations.

1. Cardiacs - Sing to God
2. Tipographica - God Says I Can't Dance
3. World's End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots
4. You Slut! - Critical Meat
5. Yowie - Cryptooology
6. Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per un Amico
7. Bygones - By-
8. Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning
9. Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa
10. Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
11. Ahleuchatistas - What You Will
12. Jordan Rudess - Feeding The Wheel
13. Sajjanu - Pechiku!!
14. Wakusei Abnormal - Namdemo Nai Kyouki
15. Yes - Close to the Edge
16. Estradasphere - It's Understood
17. The Bulletproof Tiger - You Wanna Kiss About It?
18. Upsilon Acrux - Volucris Avis Dirae-Arum
19. Battles - Gloss Drop
20. Mong Hang - Debakata
21. King Crimson - Indiscipline
22. Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
23. Hermann Szobel - Szobel
24. Gong - Flying Teapot
25. Mats/Morgan - Trends and Other Diseases
26. Giraffes? Giraffes! - More Skin With Milk-Mouth
27. Faust - Faust
28. Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
29. Rhun - Fanfare du Chaos
30. Emerson, Lame and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
31. Hella - Hold Yours Horse Is
32. Rich Woodson's Ellipsis - Control and Resistance
33. 5uu's Hunger's Teeth
34. Planets - Planets
35. Salle Gaveau - Alloy
36. Thinking Plague - In This Life
37. Make A Rising - Infinite Ellipse and Head With Open Fontanel
38. Boredoms - Super ae
29. Electrocution 250 - Electric Cartoon Music From Hell
40. Harmonium - Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
41. Chrome - Alien Soundtracks
42. Zs - New Slaves
43. Comus - First Utterance
44. Closure in Moscow - Pink Lemonade
45. Unbeltipo - Pheasantism
46. Cheval de Frise - Cheval de Frise
46. Akihisa Tsuboy & Natsuki Kido Duo - Era
47. Area - Arbeit macht frei
48. Pez - Quemado
49. Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
50. Can - Tago Mago

It's not updated and has one or two non prog albums, but everything else should be fine.

you don't like the mars volta?

>liking a band other people have heard of

I have listened to them, but haven't been able to like anything by them so far. They are probably good though, but very overrated.

Thank you. I'm already listened to Dream Theater, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Gong, ELP and Can though.

I've*

I'm curious, what do you think of Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt? It is probably one of my favorite albums that I have heard

Would Saucerful of Secrets be considered prog rock or no?

He's undoubtedly the icon of modern prog

Who else is there? Tool and TMv haven§t made new album in ages

Disgusting

I listened to it once or twice, couldn't remember much. Same case for Saucerful, but I would bet it's not prog unless you consider krautrock to be prog (don't), especially considering Interstellar Overdrive and certain parts of Umma Gumma were krautrock or very close to it.

Elaborate.

Stop following false icons.

Steven Wilson here. We will reunite when the time is right.

>krautrock is not prog
Ok you're retarded

"Oh hey, an actual SW discussion thread on Cred Forums. I sure hope it isn't just a tripfag shitting the place up with his autism"

-me, 2016

He's so good because he sing's like old school prog. Almost conversationally and like he's just some local village chap having a chat. It fits so well and sounds so earnest

>I listened to it once or twice, couldn't remember much.
How is anyone supposed to take your judgement seriously when you unironically say things like this?

His solo work is a hit or miss although I really like Insurgentes and some parts of Raven.

Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands ever.

I think I like 90s PT more than 00s PT nowadays, although it was the 00s stuff that got me into em

Haven't listened in a while, should give Coma Divine a whirl this week

What do you think of Blackfield, No-Man, Storm Corrosion, IEM and Bass Communion?

First 2 Blackfield albums are great, the rest is shit
No-man is pretty gud dream pop
Storm Corrosion is severely underrated by Opeth fags who wanted a prog metal album
IEM is decent krautrock
BC is pretty boring apart from early albums

Coma Divine is one of my favourite love albums ever, those versions of Sky Moves Sideways and Radioactive Toy are amazing

storm corrosion is fantastic and isn't more popular because of exactly what you said. It would have been better received if akerfeldt wasnt involved. not for his lack of contribution but for the WAH ITS NOT STILL LIFE AGAIN

I agree with everything other than SC being underrated. Even Wilson doesn't like that album according to his recent AMA.

The sky moves sideways and Signify are such great records.

Love the first Blackfield album, like the second, never heard the others but apparently I'm not missing much. Really liked Storm Corrosion when it came out too but haven't listened in ages. I heard a Bass Communion album but I don't remember it making much of an impression, I do enjoy ambient though so I should dig deeper

>his recent AMA
Link?

youtu.be/AUR0ALUsnV4
I think this is the one, although I'm not the guy that was supposed to reply to you.

It's that one yeah. It's long but worth watching. Lots of interesting facts about him.

3 minutes in and he's answered a niggle. Always wondered how the hell that Pendulum track came about (and it's one of the few good tracks on that album)

He says he tries to get his vocal tracks down as quickly he can after writing a song. That way he's feeling it when he's singing

>You'll be waiting a long time mate, that band doesn't exist anymore

ouch...

lolsorandom is undeniably better than generic and milquetoast

>steven Wilson is generic
Can retarded Fantano drones stop forcing this meme?

No, that's because it really depends on how you define it.
What exactly do you mean with both prog rock and krautrock?

Get used to it, faggot

Because I listened to those albums like three years ago? Do you expect me to have perfect memory or something like that? You dumb.

It has been a common criticism to his music before Fantano did. In fact, it's Fantano who forces other people's memes, if anything.
SW really is generic.

When will AMG kill himself?

I have no reason to do so.

Towards the end he hints that the new stuff he's writing has a bit of an Insurgentes vibe

yesssss

If Inti were here you could be refuted

Inti has some pretty bad taste, something that was further demonstrated by his even worse taste in progressive rock.
Go check out his progressive rock list if you don't believe me.

Are you saying that ironically or just joking? I mean, I'm not in his side or anything I just want to get the right idea.

Talking about steven, I know that he uses a more (I don't know) pop approach? Than most prog rock does and has some songs with pretty lame melodies and he even said that some of his albums are kinda mathematical (I think he was trying to say that sometimes uses formulas) but he has some nice albums (besides sky moves sideways), I suppose i don't get completely what makes prog generic yet, so, you could please tell me, maybe not only in prog, maybe in general; what makes music generic in the first place?

I'm not joking. Again, go check out his progressive rock list. He's a cool guy though, I have to admit.

This isn't really about a "pop approach" (that could even be a great thing, as demonstrated by Cardiacs, for example), but simply a lack of originality of any kind, and therefore he gets criticized as generic and of little worth.
There isn't something specific that makes something generic, it's just the lack of originality. No original style, melodies, techniques, etc. He's a nothing. On contrast, The Sky had some interesting ideas, like fusing Ambient Techno with Progressive Rock and Space Rock, which he blended pretty well as well in my opinion.

Jesus christ don't bring a rockist to the conversationot the things will get mad
What makes cool to someone who has bad music taste in a site where you make friends based mostly in the music taste?

Yeah because there are literally hundreds of bands that sound like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson

There's just Riverside, Tool, King Crimson, Oceansize, Gazpacho, some Opeth and Maybe Radiohead

He's chill and easy-going, and that's nice. You also get to make friends on music sites for reasons other than music.

Being generic is not the same as being a copy of another band. They are generic because they are not original, not because they sound the same as another band. An example of this could be Nickelback, who are generic but at the same time don't sound like "hundreds of bands who came before".
PT and SW are mostly generic, Riverside too if I remember correctly, Oceansize at times, the rest not.

I don't know he gave me the total opposite impression, sorry if I'm being too asocial or something but I don't really know how else you make friends in music sites (spoiler: I'm trying to know how to be your "friend" and not die in the try)

There wasn't a concert of oceansize and cardiacs? Did you see it? What you thought of it?

Have you listened to No Twilight In The Courts Of The Sun?

It just happens, I guess., and I'm usually the asocial one. Just send me a PM and we can keep chatting though.

I don't go to concerts because I live in a arguably former third world country, so not many interesting artists go here, even less Cardiacs.
I know Oceansize recorded a song in a compilation of Cardiacs covers to fund Tim Smith's health care costs from his cardiacs arrest (heh).
And no, I haven't listened to it, or at least I don't remember it by it's name.

I can't get into him. His stuff all feels just... wimpy in comparison to most prog. Even sensitive prog.
He is great as a producer but just... I'm not sure what he adds to the genre.
Basically.

A quadruple album with every song taking up an entire side plus the pretentious stuff about Hinduism? It's the height of Prog rock excess. Even 666 didn't go that far, although it tried and reached meters closer.
666 literally is an adaption of a section of the bible, but it has its own spin.

Seriously though. Double album where every song takes up an entire side? Pretentious Bullshit.
>
Oh wait.

(JK I love that album)

Have you heard their first 2 albums? They are still slightly self indulgent, but for some reason they are the only nu-prog band I find enjoyable, and that's kinda because they aren't really prog except for the obvious King Crimson influence in Frances the Mute and the technicality of some of the songs.

I ask you because there is some video in youtube with the full performance but I don't see it yet, no twilight is one of the songs of him I think is good and I wanted to know what you think, it has some mars volta vibe on it

Who is Inti

Who is Inti

Have you heard their first 2 albums?
Only The Sky Moves Sideways from their earlier era.
>they are the only nu-prog band I find enjoyable
Because you barely know the entry-level bands

Nobody relevant

I'm talking about TMV.

And yeah, I do. Every other bit of nu prog I've heard sucks.

Oh, yes, exactly those.
I wouldn't bother listening to anything else by them that's not those until I like them well enough.
>Every other bit of nu prog I've heard sucks.
Koenjihyakkei, Yowie, Sajjanu, Ahleuchatistas, Upsilon Acrux, Planets, Salle Gaveau, Mong Hang, Rich Woodson's Ellipsis, Zs, Make a Rising, Unbeltipo, The Flying Luttenbachers, Normal Love
Those are all great and innovative bands from the year 2000 to this day.

>all these shitty sporkcore bands
Wew

If you have some time I will recommend you to listen to their song: Day of the Baphomets, the "bongo" (Idk how exactly it's called that instrument) solo is fantastic

Do you like progressive pop bands like mew?

>mew
>progressive

I'm neutral towards them so far.

:/

I will try when I can, thank you!

>oh boy a sw thread
>can't see have the posts because i filter any and all trips

fuck

Go back to you're safe space, faggot
Cred Forums is not for you

Sorry I didn't know they weren't progressive, is for the tags they have in rym, I liked them because when I hear them I feel like if I were a girl, you don't like to listen cute things when you are in "girl mode"? Obviously a song or band won't define your gender identity or something but the imaginery gives me some thoughts I can't (or want?) control.

Porcupine Tree is pretty great, although I can only get into The Raven... and HCE from his solo stuff. Only three of the songs on Insurgentes really go anywhere, and when they do it's not particularly exciting, nor is it emotionally powerful nor technically intricate. Most of the run time is depressing droning ambient songs that slowly crescendo and then dissipate. They're not even salvageable as good chill out music (like a lot of early Porcupine Tree) since it's not trippy and is actually fairly depressing music, even without considering that this guy spent a lot of energy, time and money crafting these songs. He only really plays Harmony Korine live from this album, since he probably understands it was a creative low point. It's slightly excusable since he had just left PT but still, I expected way more going into it than I got out of it.

Anyways just needed to fully lambaste this album I wasted a lot of money on (and also I notice no one in this thread has really mentioned).

Well, it does make sense. I mean, the band themselves sing like girls. They are probably a good band.
I don't get as vivid musical imagery as I used to though.

>Porcupine Tree is pretty great
Wrong

'no'