Is pic related correct...

Is pic related correct. I mean I do have my own opinion but it kind a makes me insecure if Cred Forumssical gurus consider those bands shit..

Floyd, PT, and Tool are actually very good. Opeth is good for what it is, but most people think what is it is shit. Rest is trash.

Indie and prog-rock have a lot more in common than most of their listeners might like to admit. Both are dominated by apostate wallflowers who act a lot cooler and more self-assured than they really are, and their artists, despite creating an aura of aloofness, are notoriously defensive. If you wanna take the psychoanalytic bent, both have masculinity issues: Prog compensates with double kick drums and the phallic gratification of rabid shrrredding, while indie prefers to spin its shortcomings into anti-heroism. This is not to detract from the legacy of either music-- both have rich and diverse histories-- but the reps of each have been tarnished by generations of feckless dudes whose spotlight-hogging has rendered the genres unusually susceptible to generalizations. In fact, the terms themselves are generalizations, almost always used negatively: These days, bands are most commonly dubbed "prog" or "indie" when their music isn't provocative enough to earn a more individually tailored description.

All these artists except Dream Theater, Gojira and BTBA are good

Also since when is Threshold and Enslaved considered babbys first prog?

Pink Floyd is generally considered good, It's just that some people overrate DSTOM, Animals, and The Wall and completely ignore their other work like how Nick Mason produced Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt or Pink Floyd's early discography.

All "I'm 16 and ____" memes are just meant to trigger anyone it applies to, don't overthink it.

Can you for clarity sake name some indie bands that have something in common with OP's pic bands?

DT is trash? That shakes my safe bubble...

Mars Volta because it's just a indie rock band masquerading as a prog band

I still dont understand why is everyone hating on Dream Theater? I am still to witness a situation where anons are not unanimous in voting DT trash. What is it that triggers anons so much that DT does? I need to finally understand this.

>just a indie rock band masquerading as a prog band
That's The Dear Hunter bro

If you let Cred Forums tell you whether you're allowed to like a band or not you're beyond saving

I think it's because lots of people here had a "16yo and really into DT" phase. I know I did lmao.

I can still enjoy their music but recognize it's pretty cheesy. That doesn't mean it's still not fun tho

>he unironically likes prog
off yourself

Yes

Dream Theater is a combination of arguably the best instrumentalists at their respective positions, 80's glam rock vocals turned angry grandpa, and horrific songwriting with few exceptions. Most of their appeal is just with how good Portnoy, Petrucci, and Myung are.

None of those are remarkably good, and it's true what the image says about those being mostly listened to by 16 year olds.
Cred Forums's collective taste is only slightly better than the bands mentioned on the image though, so don't look up too much to them.

thats pretty bad taste even for 17 year old. doing same shit for 30 years isnt progressive at all. It´s KKK Cred Forums neonazi level progressive.

You like shitty Circuscore like Cardiacs, kill yourself

>doing same shit for 30 years isnt progressive at all
Are you referring to PFloyd?

All these bands are better than the meme shit this board talks abouut retards

So what? I like lots of stuff

Nah, Cred Forums's average band are better, but as a collective taste Cred Forums and the image are about the same with Cred Forums slightly higher.

Can you help and name the bands that are for people older than 16?
Genuinely interested.

Yes, that image is correct.
I mean people don't even care about real prog like VdGG, Kansas or Gong's new album. They preffer to talk about Opeth and those other metal bands.

>Cred Forums's average band are better
lmao are you implying garbage like death Grips and Grimes is good
kys

Is it just because nobody gives shit about X band that Cred Forums likes that band? Is there another criteria?

>muh dadprog is only good prog
Grow up

But there are many actually good prog metal bands
Pic related came out recently and is great
Every genre has good and shit bands

television
pixies
sonic youth
big black
the list can go on...

except what you've posted is not prog

Tipographica, Ilaiyaraaja, Monks

>real prog
>gong's new album
Oh no!

Not Grimes, but Death Grips yeah. I mean, the competition isn't very though.

That's like for 17 year olds, lol
Basically Cred Forumscore

Reminder Avant-math faggot likes Dream Theater

>In The Woods is not prog
wut