Give me your honest to goodness opinion on this album

Give me your honest to goodness opinion on this album

It is ok

over rated

Shit, like all prog rock.

The definition of prog-rock wankery.

Please don't kill me, but I actually really enjoy it.

le ersatz shit

This is not an unpopular opinion.

I'm with you friend

This man knows what's up

Decent, but most other PF albums are better and more consistent.

These

It's not a bad album by any means but the fact it's one of their two most popular is disappointing.

It's ok on its own, it's great if watched the movie

top 10 album of the 1900s

It's got a few good some on it and the rest are OK.

This album and Tales From Topographic Oceans are an accurate depiction of how bloated and egocentric prog had become after it had fulfilled its purpose. It's not even Roger Water's best work, the Final Cut and Amused to Death both have stronger songwriting. Plus when I think of Pink Floyd I think of the musical tapestry between Roger Waters, David Gilmour, and Richard Wright, and I think they peaked with Wish You Were Here, and even though Animals was mainly written by Roger Waters, Gilmour and Wright were able to get the best out of those songs on an atmospheric level. That Pink Floyd isn't really there on the Wall.

I think the Wall wasn't put together well as an album Although it has some of their best songs, it lacks any flow. Not that it's terrible by any means. After Animals they kind of fell apart. And even though the song writing on TFC is good I don't consider it a PF album due to the lack of Wright.

worst Pink Floyd album out of the big 4 (DSotM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall) but not a bad album by any means. The Final Cut in the Wall edit is fantastic though

yeah most of this board does, they just think its overrated, as plebs think its the best floyd album

plebs only know Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, Hey You, and Comfortably Numb

They're early work was a little too... psychedelic for my tastes. But when Dark Side came out in '73, I think they really came into they're own, both commercially and artistically.

The second half of Meddle is really the exact moment they came into their own creatively, though Atom Heart Mother is an entertaining and enjoyable swing at it as well.

The Wall [Columbia, 1979]

For a dumb tribulations-of-a-rock-star epic, this isn't bad--unlikely to arouse much pity or envy, anyway. The music is all right, too--kitschy minimal maximalism with sound effects and speech fragments. But the story is confused, "mother" and "modern life" make unconvincing villains, and if the recontextualization of "up against the wall" is intended ironically, I don't get it. B-

Atom Heart Mother and Meddle are where it's at for me but everything else was good.

Despite all the hate that gets heaped on it thanks to all the normie recognition and AOR airplay that it has received over the years, The Wall is, in my book, far and away the artistic highpoint for Pink Floyd as a band, and it makes a damned compelling case for itself as the greatest prog rock album ever recorded.

Just ask yourself this: Did Gabriel-era Genesis, Yes, ELP, or King Crimson ever record a song as well-written, as varied, and as artistically/musically complete as Happiest Days Of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall Part II, Mother, Young Lust, Hey You, or Comfortably Numb?

Now, ask yourself, did they ever record that many tracks of that caliber all on the
same album?

It wasn't just Floyd's magnum opus, it was the artistic high-water mark for the entire genre, and that's why so many people love to hate it, since it was also far more commercially successful than anything any of the more niche prog acts ever did.

If Peter Gabriel had never left Genesis, and had recorded an album with them in 1980 that merged The Lamb's scope with Duke/Abacab's polished musical variability/competency and Peter Gabriel (III)'s post-fame meditations on paranoia and the desire to withdraw into antisocial fantasies as a means of dealing with how awful and cruel the world so often is, we'd all be praising it today as the best prog album ever written.

Meanwhile, Pink Floyd did just that, and it's all to easy to overlook that fact.

(((Christgau))) is a pompous, overrated hack

t. butthurt numale Cred Forumsdrone.

It sucks

*tips fedora*

Album is great all the way through. The entire side 4 of the album is legendary.
The Trial and One of My Turns are some of the most underrated PF songs ever.

The way this album goes for me, and I have listened to almost all of their albums and plan on buying every vinyl they re release, is that it tends to be an amazing album to get into the band, which isn't bad, and I do love the album, it's powerful, and it has a lot of emotion, but when people say it is their best, I don't understand.

Personally for me, it goes, in order of most and least enjoyed:
Animals
Meddle
Atom Heart Mother
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side
The Wall
Relics

the rest I'm indifferent about (as in, I enjoy them all, but wouldn't list them as some of the greatest pieces of music.)